Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (47 Viewers)

Grendel

What would you do instead, though?

Some are actually OK tbf. I'd argue it's as much assessing the needs of the individual, rather than one size fits all, and applying some rigorous standards within them, which then needs rewarding the staff. As that then needs somebody to pay for it... who does that? That needs buy-in from an early age, and as with private pensions it's hard to engage people when old age seems far away, and pointless engaging them once they've got there.

Well like we decided children could actually take on the responsibility....I think many don’t and I don’t think many parents would rather live in these places

When did council domicile workers (home help) get outsourced? That was the end of social care - the comparison between the two is stark.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Many people in these homes shouldn’t even be in them. For many years they’ve just been profiteering hell holes. Genuinely I hope the one thing that comes from this is how these places are not acceptable places to reside and it’s not just the government (though they need to accept some culpability) but also society as a whole, they are really fairly grim environments

I've had relatives stay in them as respite care rather than long term residents and I find them grim places. How the carers that work in them manage it I don't know.

But what are your alternatives? The fact they're private and therefore as you put it profiteering is part of the policy of free-market thinking to up quality and drive down cost. So why is this not happening? The other thing is that these people that are in there that probably shouldn't be are there because we've got a society that is either selfish and don't want to look after their own family members themselves in their own home or that due to economic pressures and inequality have to work so they're unable to be full time carers. Again this is predominantly a stance that has it's origins from the right.

Grendel

I've had relatives stay in them as respite care rather than long term residents and I find them grim places. How the carers that work in them manage it I don't know.

But what are your alternatives? The fact they're private and therefore as you put it profiteering is part of the policy of free-market thinking to up quality and drive down cost. So why is this not happening? The other thing is that these people that are in there that probably shouldn't be are there because we've got a society that is either selfish and don't want to look after their own family members themselves in their own home or that due to economic pressures and inequality have to work so they're unable to be full time carers. Again this is predominantly a stance that has it's origins from the right.

It has its origins from our society that thinks it’s acceptable to let their parents line in these places - many of whom are actually mentally alert. That’s not political it’s just the way people are in many countries across the west

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Grendel Post 23191 I see you have been in a lot of care homes have you made your choice yet? I could help you wife used to work in a good one in Bedworth. I know of that one and another within a mile of it which i would have closed down immediatly I do think society does have plenty to answer for the way some people forget the ones who brought them up.

clint van damme

It has its origins from our society that thinks it’s acceptable to let their parents line in these places - many of whom are actually mentally alert. That’s not political it’s just the way people are in many countries across the west

We live in a society where most people are going to have to work full time into their late 60s.
Taking on the care of a relative with care requirements, sometimes complex, isn't feasible for most

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree, but how has society ended up with that mindset? Who made it the 'me, me, me' society rather than putting family first and taking care of them?

I also ask that if this place was so despicable why did you allow this person to carry on living there? You could have offered to become a carer and taken care of them yourself if you so desired.

Brylowes

Grendel Post 23191 I see you have been in a lot of care homes have you made your choice yet? I could help you wife used to work in a good one in Bedworth. I know of that one and another within a mile of it which i would have closed down immediatly I do think society does have plenty to answer for the way some people forget the ones who brought them up.
I agree, but this is a completely separate issue, this involves a Government directive to transfer
Covid19 recovering patients into care homes that were full with the very people all the experts
agree we’re the most vulnerable to fall foul of it.

chiefdave

For many years they’ve just been profiteering hell holes.
Noticed the other day on twitter the owner of a string of local care homes was kicking off about the current crisis. Wasn't complaining about sick people being moved in or his staff stuggling to cope with the extra work or them not having the PPE required. His only complaint was that they should be receiving more money per day for every person they took in.

Sums it up really.

Grendel

I agree, but how has society ended up with that mindset? Who made it the 'me, me, me' society rather than putting family first and taking care of them?

I also ask that if this place was so despicable why did you allow this person to carry on living there? You could have offered to become a carer and taken care of them yourself if you so desired.

Er they didn’t live there we were carers for years and this was a forced situation for one week for “respite” from a hospital - cheers for questioning my morality though about something you know nothing about - Jesus Christ

Grendel

I’ll leave you all to it - I’ve tried you add some actual personal insight on actually for my standards a sensitive subject - seriously some of you should be ashamed of yourselves - it’s just a game and point scoring so why bother

David O'Day

The private us company that has the contract to run the nhs ppe stockpile were incompetent it appears and couldn't manage it correctly

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Many people in these homes shouldn’t even be in them. For many years they’ve just been profiteering hell holes. Genuinely I hope the one thing that comes from this is how these places are not acceptable places to reside and it’s not just the government (though they need to accept some culpability) but also society as a whole, they are really fairly grim environments
The saddest and worst thing of it all is that it shows a wider societal problem with how these people are considered and how they are treated.

Grendel

The saddest and worst thing of it all is that it shows a wider societal problem with how these people are considered and how they are treated.

I can guarantee that half the deaths will be in these homes - and it’s not really their fault as containment in these environments is impossible - and a large percentage on top will be elderly and vulnerable people who either contracted it while in hospital or from community care workers in their own homes. When you then add health professionals into the mix they will be the vast majority of victims

Ring Of Steel

I can guarantee that half the deaths will be in these homes - and it’s not really their fault as containment in these environments is impossible - and a large percentage on top will be elderly and vulnerable people who either contracted it while in hospital or from community care workers in their own homes. When you then add health professionals into the mix they will be the vast majority of victims

I don’t have any experience of care homes, I’m not going to say much on that. But based on your comments, what is your opinion on the instruction to send covid positive patients into care homes?

Grendel

I don’t have any experience of care homes, I’m not going to say much on that. But based on your comments, what is your opinion on the instruction to send covid positive patients into care homes?

Honestly it wouldn’t matter as as soon as 1 had it containment will be a nightmare and it’s always going to get into these places . I would guess that what has happened is that people have actually been moved out the hospitals into homes with no confirmation they have the virus. Communication between hospitals and the care home in my experience is non existent - the problem just gets passed on - I don’t know why they went to the homes unless they had come from there in the first place

Grendel

FP will know when it happened but there was a significant change when council home help services were contracted out. At that point service deteriorated dramatically and the communication between hospitals and out care - care homes or home help

Sky Blue Pete

I agree, but this is a completely separate issue, this involves a Government directive to transfer
Covid19 recovering patients into care homes that were full with the very people all the experts
agree we’re the most vulnerable to fall foul of it.
Bang on and it’s a criminal act

SkyBlueDom26

See London only had 24 new confirmed cases in the last 24 hours, great news to see how low it’s getting! Let’s have some optimism for a change

chiefdave

Er, no she had to call them all up and she'll have to call the parents of the kids who aren't going in every day to check their position.
That seems a well thought out system. Surely better to get the parents to phone in if and when they change their mind rather than wasting her time every day.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

6 of the 30 children in my wife's class are prepared to return to school.
That's a reasonable number. There should be no more than 10 to ensure distancing. The govts idea of 15 is a joke.

chiefdave

See London only had 24 new confirmed cases in the last 24 hours, great news to see how low it’s getting! Let’s have some optimism for a change
Its been under 100 for 5 days but that's number is the lowest. Be interesting to see if it stays that low. Suspect we're 7-10 days from it jumping up again but fingers crossed it doesn't.

Brylowes

That’s the spirit “‘blind optimism” flying in the face of “all probability” will see us through.

Ring Of Steel

you know- it is possible to have a positive outlook, make the best of life, enjoy the bonus family time and be as happy as it’s possible to be at this time- but also acknowledge that we have useless c*nts running the country who have a hell of a lot of blood on their hands & are directly responsible for thousands of deaths, and whose actions mean this thing is going to run for a long time yet.

That is unless you’re gullible, simple minded and overreact to every snippet of info you hear. When will those tests be in Amazon and Boots by the way? They were due on the shelves weeks ago and you were going nuts about how great it was that Boris was ‘getting it done’?

clint van damme

The government will be stock piling bleach next
UK pays £20m for Donald Trump's malaria drug 'Covid cure'

I was watching in interview with a doctor from the group Trump shut down, Eco health alliance.

He said the Wuhan lab were developing a drug, rumminex or something as a vaccine for covid viruses. They were very optimistic about it's chances.
Once Trump pulled the plug on the health alliance that went out the window.
Of course the official line was the US had giving Wuhan lab 3.7.
It was bullshit, they had givem the health alliance 3.7 million a year and they were using it to fund various projects including this one in Wuhan. The money they had given them totalled $76000 a year.

He was saying they had to work in collaboration with them because it wasn't feasible for them to turn up in China, collect samples and ship them back to the US so they needed Chinese cooperation so that's now out the window.

skybluetony176

I was watching in interview with a doctor from the group Trump shut down, Eco health alliance.

He said the Wuhan lab were developing a drug, rumminex or something as a vaccine for covid viruses. They were very optimistic about it's chances.
Once Trump pulled the plug on the health alliance that went out the window.
Of course the official line was the US had giving Wuhan lab 3.7.
It was bullshit, they had givem the health alliance 3.7 million a year and they were using it to fund various projects including this one in Wuhan. The money they had given them totalled $76000 a year.

He was saying they had to work in collaboration with them because it wasn't feasible for them to turn up in China, collect samples and ship them back to the US so they needed Chinese cooperation so that's now out the window.
Yeah but he’s a very stable genius.

Users who are viewing this thread