Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

tisza

Aug 2, 2011
The horse has bolted let’s lock the doors UK 'to bring in 14-day air passenger quarantine'
Doesn't matter unless it is strongly enforced - something UK govt hasn't been willing to do so far.
We've had it here for certain countries since beginning of March and for anyone entering the country since march 16th.
You get a big red sticker for the front of the house/flat. Daily unscheduled police checks. Big fine if you break it, break it a few times then you're removed to a govt quarantine centre (or jail).

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
Doesn't matter unless it is strongly enforced - something UK govt hasn't been willing to do so far.
We've had it here for certain countries since beginning of March and for anyone entering the country since march 16th.
You get a big red sticker for the front of the house/flat. Daily unscheduled police checks. Big fine if you break it, break it a few times then you're removed to a govt quarantine centre (or jail).

Apparently of 73 countries where data is available we're the only who havent been enforcing some sort of quarantine or testing procedure on those entering the country.

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
And on that note...

Ridiculous.

It makes sense in a kind of it’s too late what can we do wringing our hands kind of way. Fair to say if we are the most infected nation then no point tracking only those that come in. However at first when Italy and Spain were out in front it was pretty criminal allowing 3000 fans to come from Madrid

Skybluefaz

Aug 1, 2011
Coventry
This has been their plan throughout. Leak stuff to the press, see which things get a positive reaction and then go with that. Just utterly spineless, an appalling excuse for leadership.

We are a nation of idiots though. Half the population is utterly brain dead. These people don't care about VE day, they probably don't even know what VE stands for, but they're using it as an excuse for a piss up while ignoring all rules. No doubt they will be out clapping the NHS on Thursday night too, despite not caring about potentially spreading the disease, hypocritical wankers

Just seen this. Fucking stupid bastards.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
Probably about as sane as most of the twitter links on here

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
Using that logic you wouldn't bother with lock down.

Exactly.

While most have us have been making massive sacrifices for the last two months, once again our advantage of being an island nation is not used.

Flights still landing with people that have come from fuck knows where, just allowed to waltz straight in and join the queue at Homebase.

Makes a mockery out of it all and makes you question the point of staying in.

Reactions: Ian1779

djr8369

Jun 9, 2018
It’s only worth taking action once the R value has fallen which is achieved by taking action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember when it wasn’t worth closing schools?

Or stopping football?

Or how as stocks build it’s slowly turning out that maybe masks will be worth wearing after all.

Over the last week it’s been highlighted how other countries are controlling borders and travellers more and suddenly its worth considering us doing the same. Those silly foreigners were foolishly pursuing policies the effectiveness of which wasn’t proven, what idiots! But actually it turns out it’s a good idea after all. Bravo for the British government for taking effective action!

One could be forgiven for thinking measures become useful just as they become technically feasible and politically tenable. Of course, that can never be proven because they can always say “we’re acting as the science changes” and focus on whatever paper suits the argument at the time.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
Remember when it wasn’t worth closing schools?

Or stopping football?

Or how as stocks build it’s slowly turning out that maybe masks will be worth wearing after all.

Over the last week it’s been highlighted how other countries are controlling borders and travellers more and suddenly its worth considering us doing the same. Those silly foreigners were foolishly pursuing policies the effectiveness of which wasn’t proven, what idiots! But actually it turns out it’s a good idea after all. Bravo for the British government for taking effective action!

One could be forgiven for thinking measures become useful just as they become technically feasible and politically tenable. Of course, that can never be proven because they can always say “we’re acting as the science changes” and focus on whatever paper suits the argument at the time.

I think it actually proves that the people who are concerned about our lack of border control are right in thinking so.

Even during a pandemic we are letting people in without vetting them.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
I think it actually proves that the people who are concerned about our lack of border control are right in thinking so.

Doesn't that prove the opposite? Shows we have control of our borders from a legal perspective but at just very bad at policing them and enforcing any restrictions.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
Doesn't that prove the opposite? Shows we have control of our borders from a legal perspective but at just very bad at policing them and enforcing any restrictions.

Coronavirus proves we have our borders under control? I think you need to rethink that one.

Also, did you see the article about the immigration centres? They've just let a whole bunch of people out on the streets.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Coronavirus proves we have our borders under control? I think you need to rethink that one.

Also, did you see the article about the immigration centres? They've just let a whole bunch of people out on the streets.
But the issue with our borders and the issue with releasing people from immigration centres is both down to our government, we can't pass the blame onto someone else. Both are the responsibly of the Home Office. Its not down to something like the EU stopping us doing what we want.

Ian1779

Dec 6, 2012

I know the point you are trying to make, but the vast majority of people who are coming in unchecked since the advent of Cov-ID 19 are causal travellers rather than people coming in and staying.

I think the immigration debate is an aside to this - but most people would agree the minute this virus took hold we should have restricted travel significantly and then tracked, traced and possibly quarantined everyone who arrived here.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
I've never said this particular issue is the EU's fault for example, just pointing out that generally the view our borders aren't doing their jobs is enhanced here.

We're an island nation and seemingly a complete laughing stock.

What makes it worse is that I'm desperate for a holiday, then when I'm forced to take two weeks holiday in June and I try to go somewhere, the bars in Prague will be open and then I'll be forced into two weeks further self-imprisonment when I get back because the baffoons running the show couldn't have a brain cell between them to actually enforce proper borders in the first place.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018

The point was it's been shown that we have control of our own borders rather than EU prescribed (EU countries are enforcing much stronger measures across even the EU borders). We haven't. No because someone else has told us we can't, but because that's the route we've chosen to go down. Same with the immigration centres. Ridiculous decision but one that was chosen by our own govt, not foisted upon them.

Don't want to make this a Brexit thing but how badly we seem to have handled this may well be an indicator in who will negotiate better at the table and make the right choices. It doesn't look like it's going to be us does it? Another thing is shows is that if/when it goes badly they will deflect criticism from themselves onto anyone else to try and wriggle out of responsibility for their own errors

So the point is that if they have an issue with immigration while it may be a bit justified their anger and blame for it has been deliberately focused on the wrong people.

Reactions: Brylowes

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
The point was it's been shown that we have control of our own borders rather than EU prescribed (EU countries are enforcing much stronger measures across even the EU borders). We haven't. No because someone else has told us we can't, but because that's the route we've chosen to go down. Same with the immigration centres. Ridiculous decision but one that was chosen by our own govt, not foisted upon them.

Don't want to make this a Brexit thing but how badly we seem to have handled this may well be an indicator in who will negotiate better at the table and make the right choices. It doesn't look like it's going to be us does it? Another thing is shows is that if/when it goes badly they will deflect criticism from themselves onto anyone else to try and wriggle out of responsibility for their own errors

So the point is that if they have an issue with immigration while it may be a bit justified their anger and blame for it has been deliberately focused on the wrong people.

I wasn't talking about the EU in my post.

If we are going down that path, I agree our own government are worth pointing the finger at, maybe for the most part, but the EU were also a problem too. That cannot be denied. 2 problems rather than 1.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
I wasn't talking about the EU in my post.

If we are going down that path, I agree our own government are worth pointing the finger at, maybe for the most part, but the EU were also a problem too. That cannot be denied. 2 problems rather than 1.

Sorry. It just came across that way in my head.

You're right it does show we're not controlling the borders but my point on the fact that they tried to blame immigration before and during Brexit on freedom of movement and the EU is largely false. As I've said before we could have done a lot more to control immigration while in the EU (as many other EU nations did in terms of recording etc) but our own govts chose not to implement them. Fact a lot of people they complained about the most weren't from EU countries shows the level of ignorance on the debate and it was just a preference to blame Johnny Foreigner than accept that maybe, just maybe, Britain wasn't making the right choices

Reactions: Brylowes

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
Sorry. It just came across that way in my head.

You're right it does show we're not controlling the borders but my point on the fact that they tried to blame immigration before and during Brexit on freedom of movement and the EU is largely false. As I've said before we could have done a lot more to control immigration while in the EU (as many other EU nations did in terms of recording etc) but our own govts chose not to implement them. Fact a lot of people they complained about the most weren't from EU countries shows the level of ignorance on the debate and it was just a preference to blame Johnny Foreigner than accept that maybe, just maybe, Britain wasn't making the right choices

In a twisted kind of way I think it was both the EU and our government's lack of policing the external European borders which led to it.

I think there is a big cultural difference at least.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
Stupid pricks.

People can't even go to their loved ones funerals but you carry on with your little sing songs.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
So now a obsessive bible basher and a man who gleefully slaughtered a fox while wearing his wife’s kimono are the establishment on here - well I never

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
I’ll come back next week and I’m sure David Ike has tweeted he’s heard a rumour from Fred West’s ghost that a voice from the patio tells us all this is indeed a conspiracy to kill us all

Ian1779

Dec 6, 2012
So now a obsessive bible basher and a man who gleefully slaughtered a fox while wearing his wife’s kimono are the establishment on here - well I never
Jolyon is a fuck-wit. That’s pretty universally accepted.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
Obsessive bible basher. Imagine if a Labour MP had have posted something on social media describing someone as an obsessive Tora basher. You would quite literally lose your shit shouting about how the Labour Party hates Jews. Hypocrisy.

Users who are viewing this thread