Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (11 Viewers)

Grendel

Shall I tell him ?:emoji_confused:

Im sure he’s somehow managed to see it. Interesting ROS the font of no knowledge liked the post as well

chiefdave

I hope so, but it begs the question what the past week of hinting has been all about.
If you were the suspicious type you'd suggest we've never really deviated from Johnsons 'move through the population' suggestion. All we've done is slightly delay it to stop the government being criticised when the NHS is overwhelmed.

We've had a very weak version of lockdown compared to other countries. Now we've had days off hinting the lockdown is going to be relaxed ahead of a bank holiday weekend but delaying any actual announcement until Sunday.

What are the odds that Sundays announcement is very little changes except more people going to work? If and when there's a '2nd wave' the government have a ready made excuse that people ignored the lockdown.

clint van damme

I hope so, but it begs the question what the past week of hinting has been all about.

utter incompetence. I can't see Johnson holding on for much longer. Apprecia
Yeah the 332 is hospital deaths only

Regarding the VE day stuff, so many buffoons out there seem to think this was the end of the war.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

just been updated, 626 total.
Too early to start easing restrictions. Hopefully few more weeks will do it.

NorthernWisdom

If you were the suspicious type you'd suggest we've never really deviated from Johnsons 'move through the population' suggestion. All we've done is slightly delay it to stop the government being criticised when the NHS is overwhelmed.

We've had a very weak version of lockdown compared to other countries. Now we've had days off hinting the lockdown is going to be relaxed ahead of a bank holiday weekend but delaying any actual announcement until Sunday.

What are the odds that Sundays announcement is very little changes except more people going to work? If and when there's a '2nd wave' the government have a ready made excuse that people ignored the lockdown.
Tbh I ascribe more to the poor messaging theory.

Let's face it, we're still speculating!

Ring Of Steel

Im sure he’s somehow managed to see it. Interesting ROS the font of no knowledge liked the post as well

Japan formally surrendered on August 15th, bringing hostilities to an end- the piece of paper itself was signed in September, hence August 15th is the day that the Second World War ended, while September 2nd is the day the document was signed. He is not wrong in what he said. But neither are you really. It’s like arguing over whether we won the FA Cup when the trophy was placed into Kilcline’s hands or when when the final whistle blew.

wingy

utter incompetence. I can't see Johnson holding on for much longer. Apprecia

just been updated, 626 total.
Too early to start easing restrictions. Hopefully few more weeks will do it.
How many new infection
I think Newsnight suggested it's at between 3-4 times what is being measured .
Official is 32.5 k up to last night over six days.

David O'Day

Shall I tell him ?:emoji_confused:
Vj day is in August thus it's the end of hostilities. That is the date of the surrender of Japan.

Yes the official signing ceremony happened o the 2nd of September but August 1945 marked the the surrender of Japan.

Please try again

djr8369

If you're been totally honest, no way Corbyn would have got off as lightly as either Johnson has on many issues recently.
The PPE, the missed tests, calling the handling of the pandemic a success while numbers were soaring.
He'd have got rinsed, and rightly so.

The press have been frankly embarrassing and as I've said before anyone who cares about a functioning democracy and accountability should be concerned.

Look at the difference in how Dianne Abott was treated for her number gaffee compared to Patel. And she was only trying to read a number from a piece of paper as opposed to remember a figure!

djr8369

In the same way you regard the daily mail as right wing propaganda, channel 4 could be regarded as left wing propaganda.

Sorry but that is absurd. Both may be biased but the Mail are on a completely different level. If you forget the national debate 4 do some excellent international reporting and analysis.

djr8369

The VE stuff is a modern phenomena isn't it? I don't think anybody who actually experienced the war would really partake in something as crass as this will end up.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same. I can understand the street parties when the war ended but has it always been a yearly thing?

wingy

Tbh I ascribe more to the poor messaging theory.

Let's face it, we're still speculating!
Tbh when the health minister doesn't directly answer the question of whether the Gov't is attempting to squash the outbreak or Keep it within manageable levels of NHS capacity I think I'd assume
evasion or deception.
Not what is needed or a good look

The fact Dave King holds that as one of his major questions is a bother .

Ian1779

If you were capable of any kind of analysis you’d see that it is glaringly obvious that’s certain sections of the media are pushing for lockdown to be relaxed or scrapped entirely.

My point (which you yet again missed) is that whilst the government may have been swayed by this initially, it *might* be that Boris has seen sense and changed his plans against this move wanted by the media.

Reactions: PVA

djr8369

Ending up spending a while reading comments on a similar post last night. Person after person blindly defending the indefensible. In his last election campaign Trump said he could stand in Times Square and shoot someone and still get elected, that really seems like the level we're at over here now.

Yeah it's fanaticism as has got to the point it's dangerous and people are dying because of wrong decision but it's not patriotic to ask questions or demand better.

djr8369

The fact every decision was led by media and public demand does suggest this. Every daily briefing they are responding to whatever was the focus of criticism over the previous days. Nothing has been proactive.

Johnnythespider

If you were capable of any kind of analysis you’d see that it is glaringly obvious that’s certain sections of the media are pushing for lockdown to be relaxed or scrapped entirely.

My point (which you yet again missed) is that whilst the government may have been swayed by this initially, it *might* be that Boris has seen sense and changed his plans against this move wanted by the media.
It'll be the poll showing 90% are not ready for lockdown to end, despite that the bbc news has just pushed the line that we are all desperate to come out of lockdown.

Johnnythespider

The fact every decision was led by media and public demand does suggest this. Every daily briefing they are responding to whatever was the focus of criticism over the previous days. Nothing has been proactive.
Behind the curve from day one, it was only after football stopped football that mass events were stopped.

RegTheDonk

I thought it was Tory doners that wanted to lift the restrictions and get the economy moving? Most journos have a very high opinion of themselves and only think they are driving the agenda. The Gov spokesman of the day in the briefings bats, ignores or answers usually blandy any ciritical questions from the media.

Grendel

Vj day is in August thus it's the end of hostilities. That is the date of the surrender of Japan.

Yes the official signing ceremony happened o the 2nd of September but August 1945 marked the the surrender of Japan.

Please try again

You didn’t mention VJ Day or Japan David I

Ian1779

I thought it was Tory doners that wanted to lift the restrictions and get the economy moving? Most journos have a very high opinion of themselves and only think they are driving the agenda. The Gov spokesman of the day in the briefings bats, ignores or answers usually blandy any ciritical questions from the media.

I’m thinking donors have friends in certain areas - look at the state of the Telegraph this week for example.

djr8369

I’m thinking donors have friends in certain areas - look at the state of the Telegraph this week for example.

It’s the same libertarian circles pushing lifting the lockdown in the US they’re just not as influential here. Also it’s worth noting people on this forum predicted it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

it was only after football stopped football that mass events were stopped.
Exactly right. What little lockdown we've had has come because of public pressure.

It was only a few weeks ago we had Johnson talking about stopping football saying "We are considering the question of banning major public events, including sporting fixtures. The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread." and Vallance saying "On average, one person infects two or three others. You therefore have a very low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium." and "most of the transmission tends to take place with friends and colleagues, in close environments - not in the big environments.".

It was the PL and EFL, two organisations not exactly known for being pro-active and forward thinking, that called a halt to games.

Ian1779

Exactly right. What little lockdown we've had has come because of public pressure.

It was only a few weeks ago we had Johnson talking about stopping football saying "We are considering the question of banning major public events, including sporting fixtures. The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread." and Vallance saying "On average, one person infects two or three others. You therefore have a very low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium." and "most of the transmission tends to take place with friends and colleagues, in close environments - not in the big environments.".

It was the PL and EFL, two organisations not exactly known for being pro-active and forward thinking, that called a halt to games.

Imagine Vallance rolling out that statement (which suggests a large R value) and not even batting an eyelid.

Herd immunity was blatantly the strategy from Day 1.

chiefdave

PVA

It's pretty obvious that yet again something was leaked to the press to try and understand public position on it

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

This has been their plan throughout. Leak stuff to the press, see which things get a positive reaction and then go with that. Just utterly spineless, an appalling excuse for leadership.

We are a nation of idiots though. Half the population is utterly brain dead. These people don't care about VE day, they probably don't even know what VE stands for, but they're using it as an excuse for a piss up while ignoring all rules. No doubt they will be out clapping the NHS on Thursday night too, despite not caring about potentially spreading the disease, hypocritical wankers

Users who are viewing this thread