Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (82 Viewers)

PVA

All I've done is point out that people should stop politicising the situation and trying to shame others for their own gain, and it just gets more and more toxic.

But it's impossible not to politicise the situation.

It is political decisions, both historical and present, that are affecting people's lives.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Back on subject...

I just recieved an unknown audio clip on WhatsApp from a friend with a woman talking (allegedly implying she works for the ambulance service).

She is going on about how we should feel guilty about exercising and that it will be banned from next week. Also that all the morgues in the UK are full. She then says if you cannot breathe at home then from Thursday an ambulance won't come and you'll be left to die at home.

Straight away this seemed like fake news to the tilt. Some woman who has decided to scaremonger further and of course sends an audio clip where nothing can be proved. I'm trying to track the source but seems impossible as it has been shared so many times.

People are sheep in these times and just send anything thinking it's real. Another filthy behaviour we see at a time like this.

skybluetony176

We could go down the Tory immigration route instead.

Then we'll have to extend visas for docs and nurses all of a sudden because it turns out that actually we need foreign docs and nurses.

Or we'll ask 70,000 pensioners to come out of retirement to pick fruit and veg or drive tractors because it turns out that we actually need seasonal migrants.
Coronavirus is already giving the farmers a taste of Brexit

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

We’re either going to end up importing more food than we already do and/or homegrown product is going to go up in price as farmers have to cover the costs of increasing wages to employ U.K. workers. That might even cause tariffs on foreign foods pushing up the price to allow U.K. growers to compete and/or the government ends up subsidising British growers so they can compete while employing British farmers. Either will end up costing the taxpayers.

Or. We’ll still be allowing unskilled EU workers into the country as if nothing has changed meaning Brexit is a load of old bollocks, which it is anyway.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Back on subject...

I just recieved an unknown audio clip on WhatsApp from a friend with a woman talking (allegedly implying she works for the ambulance service).

She is going on about how we should feel guilty about exercising and that it will be banned from next week. Also that all the morgues in the UK are full. She then says if you cannot breathe at home then from Thursday an ambulance won't come and you'll be left to die at home.

Straight away this seemed like fake news to the tilt. Some woman who has decided to scaremonger further and of course sends an audio clip where nothing can be proved. I'm trying to track the source but seems impossible as it has been shared so many times.

People are sheep in these times and just send anything thinking it's real. Another filthy behaviour we see at a time like this.
A pal of mine did that with the lasagne at Wembley clip that got sent around.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But it's impossible not to politicise the situation.

It is political decisions, both historical and present, that are affecting people's lives.

I totally get that, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree that the NHS hasn't been brought to it's knees, which is a lot because of the government.

There are other factors of course too, but what is getting silly is ringing the bell of shame towards people who voted for a party that seemingly no matter how shit they were, are still more credible than the other bags of shit competing against them.

We should be being nice to each other at a time like this, and this thread is just toxic. The whole political system needs changing, I'm completely alienated by all of it these days. It just frustrates me the lack of tolerance towards other peoples opinions and quite often enough it is from those that normally scream about tolerance.

Can't wait for the football to be back.

skybluetony176

And still have higher immigration than Blair...

The fact people think the Tories love the NHS and want lower immigration is a masterclass in propaganda.
It’s really simple economics. Reduce your workforce, reduce productivity, reduce the economy. That’s basically it but no one wanting to be in government will ever tell you that they’re going to deliberately shrink the economy but ultimately that will be Brexits legacy. Unless of course nothing actually changes and we still have the fabled “uncontrolled mass immigration”, which will be packaged as something else and half the country again will buy it so long as someone keeps saying taking back control.

Ring Of Steel

Coronavirus is already giving the farmers a taste of Brexit

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

We’re ever going to end up importing more food than we already do and/or homegrown product is going to go up in price as farmers have to cover the costs of increasing wages to employ U.K. workers. That might even cause tariffs on foreign foods pushing up the price to allow U.K. growers to compete and/or the government ends up subsidising British growers so they can compete while employing British farmers. Either will end up costing the taxpayers.

Or. We’ll still be allowing unskilled EU workers into the country as if nothing has changed meaning Brexit is a load of old bollocks, which it is anyway.

I think I read that 40%+ of U.K. food comes from over here, but I will check.

I totally get that, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree that the NHS hasn't been brought to it's knees, which is a lot because of the government.

There are other factors of course too, but what is getting silly is ringing the bell of shame towards people who voted for a party that seemingly no matter how shit they were, are still more credible than the other bags of shit competing against them.

We should be being nice to each other at a time like this, and this thread is just toxic. The whole political system needs changing, I'm completely alienated by all of it these days. It just frustrates me the lack of tolerance towards other peoples opinions and quite often enough it is from those that normally scream about tolerance.

Can't wait for the football to be back.

Being nice should be easier without the huge meltdowns & hissy fits, neither of which you seem to be interested in.

Grendel

He has since praised the GFA and called it a great achievement.

Whereas you share some views with extremists and call it the ‘Surrender Agreement’, so it’s probably best not to mention it.

Mr McDonnell apologised for a lot of things once he was in a position of power - odd this only occurred then. I could of course have been joking in the same way as Mr McDonnell was joking about lynching a certain person and wishing he’d had a gun to kill Margaret Thatcher.

David O'Day

Yep Sadiq really needs to get a handle on it. The tubes and buses are still packed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Because people still have to go to work and the services have been reduced as the available staff is vastly reduced.

You really can not blame the mayor of london for tfl only having a feaction if their staff available

The coventrian

Back on subject...

Probably started by the (in)tolerant left. Do as we say not as we do,hypocritical wankers.

David O'Day

Mr McDonnell apologised for a lot of things once he was in a position of power - odd this only occurred then. I could of course have been joking in the same way as Mr McDonnell was joking about lynching a certain person and wishing he’d had a gun to kill Margaret Thatcher.
Still drunk I see

CCFCSteve

Just read an article me on that study and it's very worrying reading.
Does seem OTT and is being disputed so hopefully it's way off the mark.

Has anyone actually looked at the graph and read the projections (and I include the Mail, Guardian etc - to say it’s irresponsible to print the headlines based on this model is an understatement - there are already doctors/hospitals saying people aren’t ‘bothering’ them over perceived ‘minor issues’ as they don’t want to be a burden and then actually coming into hospital too late with serious illnesses)

Who knows if we will end up being worst hit in Europe overall, and maybe this will end up being correct, but a few things that I noticed almost immediately which call into question it’s credibility (based on what we currently know)

According to the graph we would already be recording well over 1k plus deaths per day.
They are estimating that Italy will only have 3k more deaths, Spain 5k and France 4.5k between now and August - would be fantastic if true but is that realistic ?
Oh, and Ferguson said the actual data inputted into the model is wrong ‘Ferguson said he did not think the predictions could be relied on. “This model does not match the current UK situation,” he said, adding that the numbers used by the IHME were at least twice as high as they should be for current bed usage and deaths in the NHS. “Basically, their healthcare demand model is wrong, at least for the UK,” he said.

Ps this paragraph sums it up ‘The IHME modelling forecasts that by 4 August the UK will see a total of 66,314 deaths – an average taken from a large estimate range of between 14,572 and 219,211 deaths, indicating the uncertainties around it’

clint van damme

Has anyone actually looked at the graph and read the projections (and I include the Mail, Guardian etc - to say it’s irresponsible to print the headlines based on this model is an understatement - there are already doctors/hospitals saying people aren’t ‘bothering’ them over perceived ‘minor issues’ as they don’t want to be a burden and then actually coming into hospital too late with serious illnesses)

Who knows if we will end up being worst hit in Europe overall, and maybe this will end up being correct, but a few things that I noticed almost immediately which call into question it’s credibility (based on what we currently know)

According to the graph we would already be recording well over 1k plus deaths per day.
They are estimating that Italy will only have 3k more deaths, Spain 5k and France 4.5k between now and August - would be fantastic if true but is that realistic ?
Oh, and Ferguson said the actual data inputted into the model is wrong ‘Ferguson said he did not think the predictions could be relied on. “This model does not match the current UK situation,” he said, adding that the numbers used by the IHME were at least twice as high as they should be for current bed usage and deaths in the NHS. “Basically, their healthcare demand model is wrong, at least for the UK,” he said.

Ps this a paragraph sums it up ‘The IHME modelling forecasts that by 4 August the UK will see a total of 66,314 deaths – an average taken from a large estimate range of between 14,572 and 219,211 deaths, indicating the uncertainties around it’

The amount of ventilators we require (and still no nearer getting but that's another story) has been down graded by I think 2000.
Now I know it's dangerous going on a Matt Hancock prediction but that put sgovernment projections massively at odds with this report and on this occasion I'm inclined to go with The government.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think I read that 40%+ of U.K. food comes from over here, but I will check.

Being nice should be easier without the huge meltdowns & hissy fits, neither of which you seem to be interested in.

I would hardly argue my 'shut the fuck up lads' post even measures close to a melt down or hissy fit judging by what I've read on here in 300 pages.

CCFCSteve

The amount of ventilators we require (and still no nearer getting but that's another story) has been down graded by I think 2000.
Now I know it's dangerous going on a Matt Hancock prediction but that put sgovernment projections massively at odds with this report and on this occasion I'm inclined to go with The government.

Agree Clint. Let’s fucking hope the governments more accurate anyway !

ps let’s be honest all the modelling is questionable as the disease is an unknown quantity. I was just shocked that the media were printing headlines off the back of this one, when it currently appears flawed. As I say, it’s just totally irresponsible for the reasons given (even if ultimately it turned out to be correct after a huge surge)

David O'Day

Ps this paragraph sums it up ‘The IHME modelling forecasts that by 4 August the UK will see a total of 66,314 deaths – an average taken from a large estimate range of between 14,572 and 219,211 deaths, indicating the uncertainties around it’
Yep, it's basically some guys entering random figures into a model but because it's a university people are taking it seriously

David O'Day

Agree Clint. Let’s fucking hope the governments more accurate anyway !

ps let’s be honest all the modelling is questionable as the disease is an unknown quantity. I was just shocked that the media were printing headlines off the back of this one, when it is currently flawed. As I say, it’s just totally irresponsible for the reasons given (even if ultimately it turned out to be correct after a huge surge)
Bad news sells

TomRad85

So you admit you were wrong then
That our mayor told the most densely populated and now most heavily infected area of the country that it was fine to carry on using the tube? No, that defo happened.

David O'Day

That our mayor told the most densely populated and now most heavily infected area of the country that it was fine to carry on using the tube? No, that defo happened.

As I have already said if you'd read the article you'd see he actually said that according to phe you would be fine to catch the tube.

Tom, it's best to read articles before you post them.

Grendel

Your buckfast fuelled whataboutery is as always pure gold

What a zinger of a response David - You have them rocking in the aisles with your talent for witty one liners. Have you considered stand up?

David O'Day

What a zinger of a response David - You have them rocking in the aisles with your talent for witty one liners. Have you considered stand up?
It am not being funny, it's concerning to a number of people as you appear to be having a breakdown.

Users who are viewing this thread