Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

djr8369

There's loads of footage on Twitter etc of Chinese people getting dragged out of their homes by men in protective gear and whole streets getting sprayed with disinfectant.

I think their approach was somewhat more "vigilant" than everyone elses. So maybe looking at their recovery rate is misleading.

Yes the west has no chance of containing it as effectively as an authoritarian communist government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fellatio_Martinez

Never use cash unless it’s the only option. I don’t understand why anyone would, slower and inconvenient.

The only time I find cash useful is for tipping delivery drivers, barmen etc. I also think having actual cash makes people spend less.

If you go into a shop with a £20 note you know to keep an eye on what you're buying whereas with a card you can end up spending £80 in Home Bargains on complete tat you don't need.

Otis

I understand that, my grandparents were the same, even me Dad is, but there are plenty of people who are technically literate enough to not use cash, and even use contactless regularly, yet still use cash.

Plus, many older people could use contactless if they were shown. Many have iPads and use face time to speak to grandchildren etc. I understand people fear change and it can be difficult to get them try something new but technological change only gets quicker. Maybe as a society we need to support people better in that respect.

As originally pointed out cash carries germs so probably a good idea vulnerable people learn not to use it.

You're not teaching my dad anytime soon.

He thinks there is a Mr. Internet and even wanted me to ring him one day to ask where his new washing machine was.

Otis

The only time I find cash useful is for tipping delivery drivers, barmen etc. I also think having actual cash makes people spend less.

If you go into a shop with a £20 note you know to keep an eye on what you're buying whereas with a card you can end up spending £80 in Home Bargains on complete tat you don't need.
£80 in Home Bargains buys Home Bargains.

djr8369

Was anything announced yet after today’s Cobra meeting? Seems crazy no further measures have been announced yet.

theferret

Our government likes authoritarian behaviours to enforce monopolies though, e.g. Sky Sports

Is there a less authoritarian country than the UK though? We don't like being told what to do much. Even in a country like Spain where I lived for a number of years, the respect for authority is on a different level. You wouldn't dare verbally abuse a police officer for example, because they'd cosh you round the head.

If things got really serious here and and whole regions were put in lock down, many would completely ignore it. It's just the way we're wired I think.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Is there a less authoritarian country than the UK though? We don't like being told what to do much. Even in a country like Spain where I lived for a number of years, the respect for authority is on a different level. You wouldn't dare verbally abuse a police officer for example, because they'd cosh you round the head.

If things got really serious here and and whole regions were put in lock down, many would completely ignore it. It's just the way we're wired I think.
There are ways of encouraging compliance:
Coronavirus patients who refuse to self-isolate face murder charges in Italy | Metro News

eastwoodsdustman

Like bog roll and hand sanitizer.

torchomatic

BornSlippySkyBlue

From tomorrow all people with flu like symptoms to self isolate, school trips banned, people with health conditions to not go on cruise holidays. *BBC

BornSlippySkyBlue

And the fat twat speaks:

Coronavirus will spread.
Cases will rise sharply
More cases than we’ve found through tests
We have a plan - ha ha
Delay tactic from now on
If symptomatic self isolate for 7 days
Over 70’with conditions no cruises
Advise against international school trips

sounds like that’s it for now. Everything else later including football bans

Ring Of Steel

And the fat twat speaks:

Coronavirus will spread.
Cases will rise sharply
More cases than we’ve found through tests
We have a plan - ha ha
Delay tactic from now on
If symptomatic self isolate for 7 days
Over 70’with conditions no cruises
Advise against international school trips

sounds like that’s it for now. Everything else later including football bans

Fucking hell what a crock of shit that is

DId he remind everyone to wash their hands as well?

mark82

One thing I do agree with, banning sporting events has little to no effect in stopping the spread of the disease.

Users who are viewing this thread