Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (57 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

It will not be back to 'normal' - the restrictions will be loosened slowly and gradually and may be reimplemented. Given how cooped up everyone has been there's a real fear if you tell people they can go back to normal everyone will be out seeing family, friends, having a meal/drinks etc. We're still going to have to be very careful and restrained.

Even when all restrictions are lifted life will feel different for quite some time. It may even change the way we live from now on.

You're right- I was talking about economically being able to get some people back to work to get things moving. I don't think anyone can even calculate the damage that will be done to all if we don't get people back in as soon as we have high confidence that we can manage workplaces to avoid another wave. And I don't mean services necessarily, I mean manufacturing, building etc- build up a 'demand supply chain' again and get at least some kind of cycle of income & spending going. There won't be a "normal" for at least a year I don't think.

Astute

I find myself in the novel position of agreeing with Coventrian.

We have all the ingredients for some very nasty things happening. If people can't afford food with all the other money slushing around then they will (very understandably) think "what the fuck", I'd probably be the same myself.
Which is what I was saying to those who said lockdown should have happened earlier. Nothing financially was in place and it isn't a quick thing to do. All those people without work would have been without work for longer So out of work and without financial help for even longer.

The reality of the situation only hits hime to most when they see fir themselves how much their lives change. My wife has been through all kinds of emotions since lockdown. She has now reached the stage of reality. She feels a bit better now.

But she doesn't have the financial pressures millions of people will have. I am one of the lucky ones who will work right through everything that happens and will be working a lot more hours than normal.

No two situations will be the same.

SkyBlueDom26

Seems like Patrick was really encouraged by how we as a country are sticking to the rules in the lockdown and that they could already be starting to work! That was a seemingly optimistic update tonight and I think we could see a very low amount of deaths/cases compared to other countries, fingers crossed!

cc84cov

Seems like Patrick was really encouraged by how we as a country are sticking to the rules in the lockdown and that they could already be starting to work! That was a seemingly optimistic update tonight and I think we could see a very low amount of deaths/cases compared to other countries, fingers crossed!
How I read that conference also mate positive 100%

Astute

Making a statement about a bloke who went to pick something up he brought on Ebay. I dunno, he shouldn't have done it probably, but certain bodies and members of the public are acting as if he ran into a school and started shooting people.
He had his wife locked in the boot. You don't see a problem?

Astute

I’ve left work so I’m not giving it anything - one person in a family could earn the £50 grand and the spouse stayed at home to look after children. As ever your comprehension skills and lack of ability to read has let you down
My wife doesn't work. She retired last year at 52. We still have school age children. I don't say what I earn.

My comprehension skills? The normal get out clause used in here these days.

CCFCSteve

Is that definite, we’ve actually bought them? or is it more stuff that turns out to be lies?

Im guessing this is an order in principle (subject to passing tests etc)...heard it’s potentially for 17.5m now. They’re not lies. The papers jump on this stuff and rave about it one day (overselling it) and then get annoyed when it’s unlikely to happen for a few weeks (if at all). These tests would be a game changer but totally new/untried so god knows if/when they’ll be available

Ring Of Steel

Im guessing this is an order in principle (subject to passing tests etc)...heard it’s potentially for 17.5m now. They’re not lies. The papers jump on this stuff and rave about it one day (overselling it) and then get annoyed when it’s unlikely to happen for a few weeks (if at all). These tests would be a game changer but totally new/untried so god knows if/when they’ll be available

I know- after the false starts with ventilators and PPE wanted to make sure this was reality.

Astute

What about a family that earns £50k and invests every spare penny in a pension, and lives well within their means? Does Astute have any sympathy for them?
Back G up as he is having a go at me. I understand.

I am retiring at 55 in 3 years 2 weeks. Do you think I don't have a pension I haven't been paying into?

The wife has had many years out of the workplace over the years. Always spent tume out with the kids. We could do this because we save and not waste money. We could rent cars like millions of people do. My car cost 3k. The wife's car cost 1.8k. I could afford to buy a new car. But being sensible makes a big difference.

Astute

well then someone who can’t live on £25k a year and have that removed for a few weeks have lived beyond their means so should not require support
Reduced 50k to 25k to make a point?

Ring Of Steel

More from the brexit crew, apparently the Chinese will sell us ‘contaminated ventilators’ or ‘used’ ones (who cares long as they work properly?)

Ring Of Steel

Back G up as he is having a go at me. I understand.

I am retiring at 55 in 3 years 2 weeks. Do you think I don't have a pension I haven't been paying into?

The wife has had many years out of the workplace over the years. Always spent tume out with the kids. We could do this because we save and not waste money. We could rent cars like millions of people do. My car cost 3k. The wife's car cost 1.8k. I could afford to buy a new car. But being sensible makes a big difference.

I’m not having a go at you at all, don’t take it that way.

fernandopartridge

The hospitals admission slide is odd, why have they put the England figures on there with all of its constituent regions?

Death comparison slide looks a bit more encouraging tbh.

The weird thing is, we're all looking at these stats all the time so hard to look objectively, it's like trying to work out if you've lost weight by looking in the mirror every day a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread