Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (48 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

again it makes me question what Italy and Spain have been doing

I did read somewhere that one explanation could be the volume of people who live in apartment blocks in italian / spanish cities. Both above EU average: Housing in Europe - Wikipedia

London is the UK epicentre which also (possibly coincidentally) our highest proportion of people living in flats too.

cc84cov

I did read somewhere that one explanation could be the volume of people who live in apartment blocks in italian / spanish cities. Both above EU average: Housing in Europe - Wikipedia

London is the UK epicentre which also (possibly coincidentally) our highest proportion of people living in flats too.
Yes potentially mate I seen a site with all cases in areas across England we were page 7 the first few pages were all places in & around London

cc84cov

Are you for real?
Yes I’m for real we have had stable numbers with slight drops last 3 days Spain and Italy have gone in one direction with no stabilisation or drops etc I read Italy handed out 40k fines out and that’s people who were caught just how many were out I bet it’s a big number.

Ring Of Steel

Yes I’m for real we have had stable numbers with slight drops last 3 days Spain and Italy have gone in one direction with no stabilisation or drops etc I read Italy handed out 40k fines out and that’s people who were caught just how many were out I bet it’s a big number.
I see, so now we can take it easy, sit back and point out how all these other countries are messing things up.

I hope you’re right in your assessment that we’re somehow all sorted now, but I’d be astounded if it doesn’t turn out that you are well and truly, massively over optimistic.

CCFCSteve

even Andrew Neil is saying that the figures are fudged.

There’s a difference between fudged and a genuine lag though. It also means our numbers (when they do come through) are likely to be accurate

Germany on the other hand are not testing post mortem so there figures won’t be accurate...

No post-mortem tests

Another explanation cited by Italian experts, could be that Germany, unlike other countries, tends not to test those who have already died.

"We don't consider post-mortem tests to be a decisive factor. We work on the principle that patients are tested before they die," the RKI told AFP.

That means that if a person dies in quarantine at home and does not go to hospital, there is a high chance they will not be included in the statistics, as Giovanni Maga of Italy's National Research Council pointed out in an interview with Euronews.’

CCFCSteve

I see, so now we can take it easy, sit back and point out how all these other countries are messing things up.

I hope you’re right in your assessment that we’re somehow all sorted now, but I’d be astounded if it doesn’t turn out that you are well and truly, massively over optimistic.

Agree, it’s way too early to judge how we are doing/coping.

Grendel

I agree to a point but there are methods in play to prize them from it .

The point is people make more money and oddly spend it mostly on the property ladder it’s hardly a fortune either way

clint van damme

I thought this and you can add in New York which is a similar type of city and has had a huge number of cases but Hong Kong is densely populated with a lot of flat/apartment dwellers but have had hardly any.
Hong Kong went into full lock down very early though. Could that have made such a difference?

Ring Of Steel

There’s a difference between fudged and a genuine lag though. It also means our numbers (when they do come through) are likely to be accurate

Germany on the other hand are not testing post mortem so there figures won’t be accurate...

No post-mortem tests

Another explanation cited by Italian experts, could be that Germany, unlike other countries, tends not to test those who have already died.

"We don't consider post-mortem tests to be a decisive factor. We work on the principle that patients are tested before they die," the RKI told AFP.

That means that if a person dies in quarantine at home and does not go to hospital, there is a high chance they will not be included in the statistics, as Giovanni Maga of Italy's National Research Council pointed out in an interview with Euronews.’

false

cc84cov

Not at all just yet but it’s positive surely ? Everyone said we were gonna have crazy numbers bypassing Italy & Spain but we seem To be remaining stable for now if this continues you have to ask how we’ve managed it and other didn’t.

Ring Of Steel

Not at all just yet but it’s positive surely ? Everyone said we were gonna have crazy numbers bypassing Italy & Spain but we seem To be remaining stable for now if this continues you have to ask how we’ve managed it and other didn’t.
Gonna say this one more time- it’s too early

clint van damme

No post-mortem tests

That means that if a person dies in quarantine at home and does not go to hospital, there is a high chance they will not be included in the statistics, as Giovanni Maga of Italy's NationaResearch Council pointed out in an interview with Euronews.’

The UK is only including hospital deaths as well, as is France. There are bound to be others

There are also several reasons for the lag you mentioned so for example, there were deaths from March 16th in yesterday's figure.

I don't think you'll get a truly accurate figure from any country. I agree, in most cases I don't think it's a fudge
Why put the population on lock down and then down.play the severity of what they're isolating from.

CCFCSteve

It’s not false. It’s widely reported regarding their post mortem testing. Im not saying it’s a significant factor in the differences in the numbers of deaths but it will mean their numbers are unlikely to be wholly accurate

ps my point was relating to the fact that there’s a difference between a lag and fudged figures

cc84cov

I'm optimistic but ROS is right.
Remember we had a drop 2 consecutive days earlier in the month only to be followed by big increases.
Yeah it’s too soon I think maybe I’ve got slightly over excited with it,just seen the news 9,000 being treated in England hospitals for the virus doesn’t sound great.

Ring Of Steel

Still positive early signs mate

Yes yes yes- and do not think I am being disparaging.

I think that after a catastrophic series of blunders we are starting to make some progress. We are still being held back by the govt with the ventilators/ PPE bollocks, but from where I'm sitting (500 miles away but the internet is great) its not as bad so far as it definitely could have been. I'm very proud of what the people in healthcare are doing, massively in fact. Lions led by donkeys might be an apt phrase to use.

And anyway I'm always an optimist.

But don't get jittery if we start to see 300/400/500 deaths in a day, its more than likely to happen but it doesn't necessarily mean we're slipping back, it means the people who already unfortunately got infected are getting to critical condition.

Magwitch

There will be victims due to this virus
Exactly, from liverpool to the championship teams to us and whoever's istop of the national league. United and Chelsea who sue as well

They'd have to prove they tried everything to try and finish to have a chance in court.

I thank the Lord we have Liverpool in our camp, I reckon had it been any other club the season could well be made null & void, but with Liverpools 25 point lead and 30 year wait to be champions I reckon the FA/Prem are crapping themselves on what to do, for me trying not to be biased the very minimum has to be points per ratio of games played.

Ring Of Steel

Yeah it’s too soon I think maybe I’ve got slightly over excited with it,just seen the news 9,000 being treated in England hospitals for the virus doesn’t sound great.

stay excited, its good for the mind :)

I am trying to fix my bike, down a stone since lockdown started and I mean to come out of this looking like a slightly podgy & very weathered Stallone

skybluesam66

I thank the Lord we have Liverpool in our camp, I reckon had it been any other club the season could well be made null & void, but with Liverpools 25 point lead and 30 year wait to be champions I reckon the FA/Prem are crapping themselves on what to do, for me trying not to be biased the very minimum has to be points per ratio of games played.
we also have man utd who would not be in the champions league if they repeated this season, but as it stands have a chance
Leeds/Leicester are 2 other big teams who would want to play on

Ring Of Steel

And Leeds, they'll probably riot outside FA headquarters virus or no virus

Ring Of Steel

suggesting on BBC that the peak will now be in April and not May - positive news that we may get to normal sooner than feared

My company is English, manufacturing & construction of modular buildings, but with HQ in Ireland- 'industry whispers' suggest that key workers in certain areas will be back up and running next Month, clearly depending on what happens between now and then, but the general feeling is that we are a bit ahead of where we thought we might be, but a long way to go yet.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

suggesting on BBC that the peak will now be in April and not May - positive news that we may get to normal sooner than feared

It will not be back to 'normal' - the restrictions will be loosened slowly and gradually and may be reimplemented. Given how cooped up everyone has been there's a real fear if you tell people they can go back to normal everyone will be out seeing family, friends, having a meal/drinks etc. We're still going to have to be very careful and restrained.

Even when all restrictions are lifted life will feel different for quite some time. It may even change the way we live from now on.

cc84cov

stay excited, its good for the mind :)

I am trying to fix my bike, down a stone since lockdown started and I mean to come out of this looking like a slightly podgy & very weathered Stallone
Mate I’m going mental stuck in its driving me insane mrs never seen so much of me she was happy but now I think I’m just pissing her off :)

Ring Of Steel

Mate I’m going mental stuck in its driving me insane mrs never seen so much of me she was happy but now I think I’m just pissing her off :)

I'm sent home, office closed- I've never really worked from home before and I'm not sure how the hell this will pan out

cc84cov

It will not be back to 'normal' - the restrictions will be loosened slowly and gradually and may be reimplemented. Given how cooped up everyone has been there's a real fear if you tell people they can go back to normal everyone will be out seeing family, friends, having a meal/drinks etc. We're still going to have to be very careful and restrained.

Even when all restrictions are lifted life will feel different for quite some time. It may even change the way we live from now on.
And so it should mate we need to be better prepared for this kind of thing in the future now is the time the NHS is a priority

fernandopartridge

I thought this and you can add in New York which is a similar type of city and has had a huge number of cases but Hong Kong is densely populated with a lot of flat/apartment dwellers but have had hardly any.
Hong Kong went into full lock down very early though. Could that have made such a difference?

Then again, Germany is higher than Italy, not far behind Spain

Ring Of Steel

It’s not false. It’s widely reported regarding their post mortem testing. Im not saying it’s a significant factor in the differences in the numbers of deaths but it will mean their numbers are unlikely to be wholly accurate

ps my point was relating to the fact that there’s a difference between a lag and fudged figures

I know, I was all wound up outside Tesco and I have no idea what I was on about really but I did recall seeing Neil banging on about something. Probably best to redact the whole point really :)

Magwitch

we also have man utd who would not be in the champions league if they repeated this season, but as it stands have a chance
Leeds/Leicester are 2 other big teams who would want to play on
I have my doubts if the Champions League will happen next season. Going to be some time for things to get back to normal imo.

Users who are viewing this thread