Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (23 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

Realistically what are you going to do with China? They’re massive, run key infrastructure for us, have by far the biggest population and we rely on them for trade in almost everything.

We should be pressuring them on this, but they’ll point to their bullshit numbers and say they handled it better than us. If we can’t stop them setting up concentration camps we aren’t likely to persuade them to be nice to animals.

Talking from experience the Chinese will also point to men in red suits on horses tearing foxes apart after hours of terrorising them and say “you need to fix your own ethical problems”

I know they’re not comparable but this ‘let’s tell the dirty Chinese to do as they’re jolly well told’ routine in The Mail etc is silly. They will do whatever they want and nobody will stop them, and we are hardly holier than thou when it comes to how we treat animals.

TomRad85

Talking from experience the Chinese will also point to men in red suits on horses tearing foxes apart after hours of terrorising them and say “you need to fix your own ethical problems”

I know they’re not comparable but this ‘let’s tell the dirty Chinese to do as they’re jolly well told’ routine in The Mail etc is silly. They will do whatever they want and nobody will stop them, and we are hardly holier than thou when it comes to how we treat animals.
Erm, we do have our own problems that I will fight against but its incomparable to China. Why are you so uncomfortable criticising any non Western culture?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

Erm, we do have our own problems that I will fight against but its incomparable to China. Why are you so uncomfortable criticising any non Western culture?

I’m not- the virus is a direct result of China, and we’ll see in their response whether they intend on doing something about some of their practices. This was coming for a decade. I’ve been there, I’ve seen these places. However this Righteous Indignation stuff is pathetic. Do not put statements up by fucking Ian Duncan Smith, who has blood on his hands from starving people to death via the policies he designed and brought in. He has no business lecturing anyone on what’s right and wrong.

Astute

its horrendous. But I also find it massively unlikely that someone dealing with that situation has time to prepare a well written & lucid article. And the ending is pure Hollywood- I do not doubt what’s happening, but I also call bullshit that a health worker wrote that.
Didn't you read it properly? 'A London nurse TOLD'. Yes she dictated her account. What is wrong with you. Don't you want to consider how bad it is?

Lots of NHS workers and hospital workers around the globe are having to choose who has a chance of living and who they have to give up on. Look at how quickly our death rate has gone up. It won't have been an overnight thing.

djr8369

Realistically what are you going to do with China? They’re massive, run key infrastructure for us, have by far the biggest population and we rely on them for trade in almost everything.

We should be pressuring them on this, but they’ll point to their bullshit numbers and say they handled it better than us. If we can’t stop them setting up concentration camps we aren’t likely to persuade them to be nice to animals.

I think (hope) they’ll take the decision themselves due to the economic harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

And yet there are daily warnings from NHS staff that they don’t have the right equipment.

Hold on. You just agreed with someone that it isn't happening.

Ring Of Steel

Didn't you read it properly? 'A London nurse TOLD'. Yes she dictated her account. What is wrong with you. Don't you want to consider how bad it is?

Lots of NHS workers and hospital workers around the globe are having to choose who has a chance of living and who they have to give up on. Look at how quickly our death rate has gone up. It won't have been an overnight thing.

I’m not stupid, I know its that bad, and will get worse. But I do not for one second believe that they are the direct actual words of someone working ‘on the front line’. At minimum the journalist heavily added their own little lines.

I don’t know what point you’re making- I’m certainly not in denial.

skybluetony176

Disgusting.. and anyone who defends this as 'part of their culture' needs a slap. Was hoping that the one good thing to come from this would be these horror shows get closed down.

Do you really think that because we don’t have these horror shows in public like China they aren’t happening. U.K. slaughter houses aren’t a holiday camp.

Magwitch

Not to forget that the U.K. has its own share of zoonotic viruses, illnesses and disease. TB being the big one over the last few years in cattle. How do we know that this won’t mutate and trigger events close too what’s happening now. Mad cow disease, I read an article not that long ago that predicts a second wave of cases. To do with a certain type of inherited gene, there is two types of this particular gene and you either inherit one of these genes from each parent. One of these genes is immune to CJD the other isn’t and it’s people who inherited two of the latter gene who were susceptible to CJD straight away but they’re now finding that people who inherited one of both genes are suffering a delayed effect of CJD so a second wave of victims is now expected. Salmonella, it’s a bacteria in the gut of a lot of animals in the food chain. Let’s not forget that it’s only a couple of years since the advice for pregnant women and elderly to only eat fully cooked eggs was relaxed. As long as humans are involved in the production and consumption of animals and animal byproducts there’s a risk of something like this happening and happening anywhere again. We all need to take a look at our behaviour to stop something happening again, it’s not just a Chinese problem.
Try as you might you never beat nature, we can only counteract things like Coronavirus once it’s reared it’s head, we will counteract this in time not 100% as we don’t influenza and others 100% kills about 8000 a year in this country alone.

Ring Of Steel

I think (hope) they’ll take the decision themselves due to the economic harm.

that’s the way to do it- not issue silly threats and try to shame them. That’s one thing you’ll never do, they will give their stock response- “you look after your affairs, we will look after ours”. Articles in the mail will not register and they’d just laugh.

Astute

Even that article is full of tory propaganda "Even despite Boris' pleas last night, the Tube is packed again".... "your grandmother survived the Blitz"
Not a bit of analysis about why there is a shortage of beds, equipment and PPE unsurprisingly from a Tory rag.
Tory propaganda? Why haven't the Tories closed the underground yet have stopped congregating everywhere else.

This place is amazing.

Brighton Sky Blue

nope, I don’t mind what anyone chooses to do, but as a statement of fact, there is no way to humanely kill an animal. And if you want to go deeper into it, check the facts around what causes huge levels of harmful emissions, it’s animal farming.

I teach that to GCSE classes and we look at the carbon footprint of each food source. We aren’t herbivores and no other organism on the planet has a moral quandary about eating another. Telling people what they do is barbaric doesn’t tend to change their minds

Astute

nope, I don’t mind what anyone chooses to do, but as a statement of fact, there is no way to humanely kill an animal. And if you want to go deeper into it, check the facts around what causes huge levels of harmful emissions, it’s animal farming.
So it is OK to cut the legs off a live dog to be consumed. It is no worse than what happens here?

TomRad85

Do you really think that because we don’t have these horror shows in public like China they aren’t happening. U.K. slaughter houses aren’t a holiday camp.
Absolutely they aren't and we still have strides to make. But again, why the deflection? Why so defensive of China? We may not be perfect but we are sure as hell light years ahead of them.

Ring Of Steel

I teach that to GCSE classes and we look at the carbon footprint of each food source. We aren’t herbivores and no other organism on the planet has a moral quandary about eating another. Telling people what they do is barbaric doesn’t tend to change their minds

that’s why I don’t go there.

And that’s why the most depressing thing about all this is that once the virus is controlled, nothing will change. Your point about moral quandaries is amazingly stupid- no other animal farms millions of other animals to eat & in doing so helps to destroy their environment. Animals eat what they need to eat. If kids are being told that it’s ok to do what we do then we really are screwed. Different debate, so leaving it there, but looks like even with thousands dying due to the way we live on this planet, we are still saying that “our way is right” instead of taking a long hard look at why the bloody planet is going completely tits up.

TomRad85

So it is OK to cut the legs off a live dog to be consumed. It is no worse than what happens here?
If someone did that here they'd be considered a psychopath. Yet you have a market place full of people who think this behaviour is acceptable. Can't be right can it?

Magwitch

meanwhile you have Michael Gove on TV saying he’s been ‘assured by senior figures in the NHS’ that they’re happy with how supplies will be ramped up, and there was never any need to join forces with the EU to procure more equipment.
Are Michael Gove, pardon me a minute while I spit, suddenly appearing in public on a regular basis, coincidently while his former best pal could well be on the ropes after all this. A loyal comrade our Michael.

Ring Of Steel

And how do you know that?
Absolutely they aren't and we still have strides to make. But again, why the deflection? Why so defensive of China? We may not be perfect but we are sure as hell light years ahead of them.

once again- even a lethal global pandemic isn’t being seen as a chance to work out as a planet what’s going on. It’s still all about “yeah but we’re not as dirty as them”, petty national debates, judging ourselves by how much better or worse we are than other human beings- utterly pathetic.

Grendel

As far as I’m concerned eating any animal is barbaric, and if you’ve got yourself convinced there is a “humane” way to kill something, I’m telling you now there is zero fucking way to do it humanely.

It’s an inevitability that people will consume meat. What of course is the problem is the complete lack of sanitation. China is the most brutal oppressive society in the world. It becomes a pariah or it gets its act together

Astute

that’s why I don’t go there.

And that’s why the most depressing thing about all this is that once the virus is controlled, nothing will change. Your point about moral quandaries is amazingly stupid- no other animal farms millions of other animals to eat & in doing so helps to destroy their environment. Animals eat what they need to eat. If kids are being told that it’s ok to do what we do then we really are screwed. Different debate, so leaving it there, but looks like even with thousands dying due to the way we live on this planet, we are still saying that “our way is right” instead of taking a long hard look at why the bloody planet is going completely tits up.
Do you think someone like yourself trying to force issues on others is the way to go? Call someone stupid and they will agree with you?

Ring Of Steel

If someone did that here they'd be considered a psychopath. Yet you have a market place full of people who think this behaviour is acceptable. Can't be right can it?

it’s actually worse here- we rip animals to shreds for “fun”, and protect our right to do so, ignoring laws set up to stop it.

At least the Chinese do it for food, we do it because we apparently enjoy seeing animals torn to shreds.

Grendel

once again- even a lethal global pandemic isn’t being seen as a chance to work out as a planet what’s going on. It’s still all about “yeah but we’re not as dirty as them”, petty national debates, judging ourselves by how much better or worse we are than other human beings- utterly pathetic.

You’ve spent all your time on this thread with petty point scoring against this government and actually seem to be a defender of China

Astute

OK we hear you. The rest of the world is as bad as China.

Ring Of Steel

Do you think someone like yourself trying to force issues on others is the way to go? Call someone stupid and they will agree with you?

nope, I can’t change anything, I don’t force my ‘rules’ on anyone- but I can always express my opinion based on fact- if you don’t like that or get upset then that’s your problem.

Astute

it’s actually worse here- we rip animals to shreds for “fun”, and protect our right to do so, ignoring laws set up to stop it.

At least the Chinese do it for food, we do it because we apparently enjoy seeing animals torn to shreds.
You either know fuck all about China or you are just being idiotic again.

Grendel

What is wrong with you? They do it for status - you seek very pro China

Users who are viewing this thread