Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (92 Viewers)

Philosorapter

The point is worrying doesn't do much.

I'm currently about to start on my emergency supply of couscous.

PVA

Just saw this:

Normal Flu - Rate of Infection is 1.4 so patient Zero passes it to 1.4 peoplele and with those 1.4 passing it to 1.4 etc going 10 levels down the line means patient Zero has infected 14 people

Covid-19 - Rate of Infection is 3 (doesn't sound much difference does it?), but patient Zero passing it to 3 and those 3 passing it to 3 and so on means that when you get to level 10 then patient Zero is responsible for 59,000 cases

Astute

How do you know ?
It isn't rocket science. I said myself that I could see something happening today once they saw how much the advice would be ignored over the weekend.

And even you can't say that it hasn't been ignored by millions of people.

Grendel

No.

He's being extremely non committal about everything leading to people either not knowing what's going on or just outright ignoring him.

Meanwhile many in the private sector are making decisions to close because the government won't do it for them.

No they closing purely for financial reasons. They will have evaluated drops in trade and decided they will be better to cut costs and cease trading

David O'Day

The OECD has said it'll take years for the economy to recover and that currently the economic shock caused by Covid-19 is worse than what followed during the financial crisis of 2008. Wake up, we're already in one.
Wake up? I was awake when when I studied economics. Where did you do yours?

You need to keep demand in the economy as while there while be a recession you are trying to stop a depression.

If everyone stops spending money they don't need to you get the paradox of thrift where demand reduces and thus companies lose money and cut costs which are usually staff. This then produces demand even more which leads to businesses tightening their belts even more and you enter a vicious cycle.

What you need to do by government intervention is try and prop up demand as much as possible so more people stay in work.

It's the difference between how the Hoover admin in 1929 reacted which caused a depression and how the world reacted in 2008 which turned a potential depression into a recession.

Wake up you say? Well it appears you need to wake yourself up as even the trump administration recognises this and will bring in ui as soon as they agree on the amount.

David O'Day

What bullshit rumours?

So lets not worry until worrying is too late?
The rumours that appear on Facebook etc. It's serious and it can get and will get worse but when 12% of icu beds are used by Covid-19 patients people running around saying the hospitals are overcrowded already and can't fit anymore icu patients is morally wrong.

Also the poster claimed the 18 year old died at UHC due to it being overwhelmed, they didn't as sadly the patient was already chronically Ill

David O'Day

Nando's is banned from selling food on the premises , I'd suggest they're not doing it for anything other than economic reasons.
Same with McDonald's, take out food is allowed and is probably a vital thing so they could easily and safely run their drive through.

They probably decided it made more sense for them not to. Any who what is happening to the staff as they will mostly be on zero hour contracts

shmmeee

I’m hoping there’s something coming today for self employed and that’s when they’ll announced further closures.

Masks aren't useless. They help stop the spread of the virus through droplets. They are effective in conjunction with other important measures like washing hands and isolation. It's one of the reasons SE Asia/China has been better at containing this than Europe. It's a cultural thing to do over there when you're I'll anyway. Pointless unless everyone does it though.

Sorry was shorthand for “they need masks more than you”. Agree with your caveats.

Grendel

You’ve clearly not been near a McDonalds recently.

Many stores I assume are City Centre stores with no drive through facility.

They apparently employ 135,000 people I suppose on varying contracts. Everyone going through a drive through is just never going to be practical.

Astute

This thread is a good summary of the complaints about Johnson for anyone that thinks it’s just moaning:

Not as simple as that though is it.

He has been trying to keep things as normal as he can for as long as he can. The big problem is that the advice has been ignored by millions of people.

It isn't about freedom. Those in countries in lockdown are having a hard time. And there is no end in sight. If we kept apart we might have coped. But now we could end up losing millions of jobs. And it will be the same around Europe. Lots of businesses won't reopen. Less money to go around. More shut. Even less money to go around. And so on.

Colin Steins Smile

The rumours that appear on Facebook etc. It's serious and it can get and will get worse but when 12% of icu beds are used by Covid-19 patients people running around saying the hospitals are overcrowded already and can't fit anymore icu patients is morally wrong.

Also the poster claimed the 18 year old died at UHC due to it being overwhelmed, they didn't as sadly the patient was already chronically Ill
The issue for the UK is that we have 2.3 ICU beds per 1000 people, in Italy they have 2.9 ICU beds per 1000 people and they've been overrun. This has led to medics making decisions that people over a certain age or condition are just sent home to die, as they cannot cope.
If we don't change our behaviour, this is the scenario we'll be facing.

David O'Day

The issue for the UK is that we have 2.3 ICU beds per 1000 people, in Italy they have 2.9 ICU beds per 1000 people and they've been overrun. This has led to medics making decisions that people over a certain age or condition are just sent home to die, as they cannot cope.
If we don't change our behaviour, this is the scenario we'll be facing.
I was talking about people such as the poster claiming we had already reached this stage.

shmmeee

Not as simple as that though is it.

He has been trying to keep things as normal as he can for as long as he can. The big problem is that the advice has been ignored by millions of people.

It isn't about freedom. Those in countries in lockdown are having a hard time. And there is no end in sight. If we kept apart we might have coped. But now we could end up losing millions of jobs. And it will be the same around Europe. Lots of businesses won't reopen. Less money to go around. More shut. Even less money to go around. And so on.

You didn’t read the thread then?

PVA

This thread is a good summary of the complaints about Johnson for anyone that thinks it’s just moaning:

Excellent post.

And good point about arbitrary Brexit date. If only he treated this crisis with such urgency and importance!

David O'Day

Many stores I assume are City Centre stores with no drive through facility.

They apparently employ 135,000 people I suppose on varying contracts. Everyone going through a drive through is just never going to be practical.
Way to miss the point again.

The point is this, if it was a purely safety reasoning for closure they could just shutter the non drive through stores and transfer some staff to the,m as needed by demand.mas the arevshutting everything it is purely economic

cc84cov

It isn't rocket science. I said myself that I could see something happening today once they saw how much the advice would be ignored over the weekend.

And even you can't say that it hasn't been ignored by millions of people.
Oh I know it has been ignored mate I’ve been saying it from day 1 nobody cares,just read he’s trying to push through new laws probably start with a 7-7 curfew maybe

Astute

Oh I know it has been ignored mate I’ve been saying it from day 1 nobody cares,just read he’s trying to push through new laws probably start with a 7-7 curfew maybe
And they are needed. Look at the link I posted above this post.

tisza

For those in other countries- is U.K. any worse right now than other countries for flouting the advice and packing out markets, shops etc? Seems like Cov is quiet but you don’t have to look too hard to see pics and reports of big groups out in force like nothing is going on. Are we worse or is there a degree of sensationalism going on?
going to add to my original answer.
There's a mixture of shock/outrage/disbelief etc. as pictures of people "hijacking" supermarket times earmarked for NHS & elderly are shown on mainstream & social media here today. Also the crowding is viewed with incredulity.

NorthernWisdom

people "hijacking" supermarket times earmarked for NHS & elderly
This is a difficult thing to police mind you, given it also includes people with underlying conditions. Now technically I have one, so would qualify for the 'old' slot (along with needing to shop for older relatives) but if I were to turn up then, I'd get some funny looks.

Therefore, I won't be!

But those who'd want to flout the rules could easily claim they were shopping for someone else? Sainsbury's I know were going to judge by the DoB you gave when signing up... but if you've just signed up in the past couple of days (like my parents have, if they'd actually listen to me for once!) how do you know people are being honest?

Ring Of Steel

This is a difficult thing to police mind you, given it also includes people with underlying conditions. Now technically I have one, so would qualify for the 'old' slot (along with needing to shop for older relatives) but if I were to turn up then, I'd get some funny looks.

Therefore, I won't be!

But those who'd want to flout the rules could easily claim they were shopping for someone else? Sainsbury's I know were going to judge by the DoB you gave when signing up... but if you've just signed up in the past couple of days (like my parents have, if they'd actually listen to me for once!) how do you know people are being honest?

I haven't seen any of that, is it really going on?

shmmeee

Poor messaging and people ignoring advice.

Same thing. People ignore the advice because it isn’t clear and the importance hasn’t been gotten across.

Like a poor supply teacher moaning that the kids won’t listen.

Users who are viewing this thread