Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (42 Viewers)

BornSlippySkyBlue

Let's not make it all about Cummings eh? It's about the whole lot of them. The TPA crowd and the Tories and the very wealthy people they're agents for. Get the fucking lot of them.
Without going all global agenda on the thread, Cummings is not the one pulling the strings. He’s going to be the fall-guy at some point.

wingy

Lovely clip on Sky News this morning with Italian delivery drivers loading their (UPS) vans while singing inspirational songs.

Ring Of Steel

They’re sending medical assistance, they’re not going to be enforcing a lockdown ffs.
Not even the Italian army is out patrolling the streets. There are some military checkpoints near motorways though.

It seems to be incredibly hard for some people to grasp that other countries actually co-operate with each other, they just see everything as a vicious, sinister foreign plot of some kind.

Ring Of Steel

These are the people who voted for Cummings to effectively run the country, what do you expect?

One of the more depressing things about this is that when it’s over, the fact that our own government effectively killed its own citizens & endangered thousands more will be completely brushed under the carpet, and the same pricks will herald Boris Johnson as having done a sterling job.

They saw other countries, they had all the info, they had the chance to be proactive, but they chose to conduct an experiment flying in the face of all medical sense, common sense and overruled the people who knew what we were going to be dealing with. They are undeniably a set of incompetent, dangerous idiots. But some people will still say they did a good job.

edit: and I see this morning that Johnson is already trying to shift blame onto the public for ‘not following advice’, the mind boggles at just how inept & ill equipped this man is to be tasked with doing what’s best for the population as opposed to what’s best for himself.

Last edited:

Walsgrave

Unbelievable.

So 'the science changed' was absolute bollocks then, as, many on here said.

They got it wrong. They fucked up. They've cost lives. Utterly disgraceful, yet still people defend them and their initial response.

If one were to take the phrase 'the science changed', then regardess of context, it is just a dumb statement because science by definition does not 'change' (although we may discover more of it). Whereas something such as 'the modelling changed' would have been accurate as predictions are not always correct. Just shows how ignorant the Boris brigade is - clearly devoid of any scientific understanding.

Sky Blue Pete

One of the more depressing things about this is that when it’s over, the fact that our own government effectively killed its own citizens & endangered thousands more will be completely brushed under the carpet, and the same pricks will herald Boris Johnson as having done a sterling job.

They saw other countries, they had all the info, they had the chance to be proactive, but they chose to conduct an experiment flying in the face of all medical sense, common sense and overruled the people who knew what we were going to be dealing with. They are undeniably a set of incompetent, dangerous idiots. But some people will still say they did a good job.

edit: and I see this morning that Johnson is already trying to shift blame onto the public for ‘not following advice’, the mind boggles at just how inept & ill equipped this man is to be tasked with doing what’s best for the population as opposed to what’s best for himself.
Yep called that a couple of days ago

MalcSB

People have no sense though, just been to Tesco’s early opening for NHS and Tesco staff. People going with their entire families, kids included, and millennials standing chatting in the aisles. No evidence of people stock piling - but huge queues for checkouts from about 09:30 because of Sunday trading laws.

Ring Of Steel

If one were to take the phrase 'the science changed', then regardess of context, it is just a dumb statement because science by definition does not 'change' (although we may discover more of it). Whereas something such as 'the modelling changed' would have been accurate as predictions are not always correct. Just shows how ignorant the Boris brigade is - clearly devoid of any scientific understanding.

looking at it from the other point of view, one of the most positive things about this is that the people who not more than 7 days ago were saying “the experts know what they’re talking about”, “herd immunity is the way to go” etc must surely now have had their eyes well and truly opened.

Ring Of Steel

People have no sense though, just been to Tesco’s early opening for NHS and Tesco staff. People going with their entire families, kids included, and millennials standing chatting in the aisles. No evidence of people stock piling - but huge queues for checkouts from about 09:30 because of Sunday trading laws.

And they’re complete dickheads too. When their family start ending up on ventilators & stuck in corridors because there are no hospital beds, maybe then they’ll take notice.

In fact fuck it, everyone is a dickhead.. this lockdown is starting to get to me :) :)

Walsgrave

looking at it from the other point of view, one of the most positive things about this is that the people who not more than 7 days ago were saying “the experts know what they’re talking about”, “herd immunity is the way to go” etc must surely now have had their eyes well and truly opened.
That's the problem when people are stubborn - they will come up will all sorts of ways to justify thinking with their feet

Ring Of Steel

If you look at the figures and take all things as equal, we need to lock down now just to be as bad as Italy.

Skyblueweeman

To be fair, there was logic behind that. As mentioned last week...no one has been in this situation before.

Yes, theres other countries that are weeks ahead of us but theres factors which can make a difference - demographics, hospital provisions etc.

I've certainly changed the way I think of it in the past 7 days.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

And they’re complete dickheads too. When their family start ending up on ventilators & stuck in corridors because there are no hospital beds, maybe then they’ll take notice.

In fact fuck it, everyone is a dickhead.. this lockdown is starting to get to me :) :)
It needs a popular UK celebrity to catch CV and die before the point is rammed home to the vast majority of our population.

Ring Of Steel

To be fair, there was logic behind that. As mentioned last week...no one has been in this situation before.

Yes, theres other countries that are weeks ahead of us but theres factors which can make a difference - demographics, hospital provisions etc.

I've certainly changed the way I think of it in the past 7 days.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

there was absolutely zero logic with no vaccine, and the evidence clearly on show in every other country on the planet.

As for the ‘other factors’- we have fewer beds, fewer ventilators, less staff, and provisions are being hoarded by a population who have had not one iota of leadership and who have had mixed messages from day one, only to now be told it’s all their own fault for not following advice which was never actually clarified until it was too late. I’m not having a go at you but I am not sure how any of these factors could have led anyone to believe that it would be a spiffing idea to completely swamp the NHS

djr8369

The West has totally dropped the ball on this. China and Russian will see it as an opportunity to step into their place and act like global leaders. All because we decided normal politicians are “boring”. Hope you’re entertained now!

Indeed China already positioning themselves as the new global leaders while America will be struggling to deal with things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PVA

Don't be daft, these are the most stubborn and ignorant of people.

Grendel and Co will still be defending it.

PVA

Everyone's favourite graph is not making for pretty reading.

Some comments from the author:

UK & US already have more deaths than when China, Spain, France & others locked down

UK is in real trouble here. On current trends, UK could hit Italy’s death count in ~9 days. Italy locked down 10 days ago. UK is already behind that schedule.

And it’s probably worse than that.

Italy locked down in stages. It closed schools 17 days ago. It locked down its worst-affected region 13 days ago.

So: UK is already on a steeper mortality curve than Italy, and has apparently learned no lessons so is locking down more slowly.

Other countries have been where UK, US and co are.

China instituted stringent lockdowns, many of which remain in place. Its case count has stopped rising.

Korea: enormous test, trace & quarantine strategy, which brought the spread under control.

UK? "keep calm and carry on"

But yeah our response was perfectly fine, give Boris a break! Experts! Scientists!

wingy

While the response of some re public is bewildering you can only hope that it be countered by more farsighted individual behaviour that may have kicked in earlier.

cc84cov

What lockdown ???

No1 seems to give a flying fuck everyone is carrying on as normal it’s madness I don’t see how we are not gonna end up in a full lockdown nobody allowed out

wingy

Have thought we may see somewhere like the NEC converted into a facility , to what level IDK.
They've just started doing similar in Spain.

cc84cov

I’m not gonna wish anyone dead but the worst, most despicable celebrity I’ve seen is James Woods- he’s telling everyone to buy guns & be prepared to shoot to kill, among a barrage of other nasty stuff.
It needs a popular UK celebrity to catch CV and die before the point is rammed home to the vast majority of our population.
Still Don’t think that will come anywhere close like I’ve said nobody cares

BackRoomRummermill

There are a fair proportion of people who have locked themselves down already and I don’t mean over 70’s me included. Please do not assume that we are all dumb , we have our own minds and can work things out fairly easily . If you don’t go out you won’t catch it , it’s simple and it’s not all doom and gloom as people are not as daft as some think.

Users who are viewing this thread