Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (15 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

This is the sobering reality of what is to come for Britain, it not worse.
The fact that it’s played out in front of the government’s eyes is all the more worse, the approach really has been a disgrace.

It’s heart breaking and people need to start talking some personal responsibility in this situation (and hope that if they do become ill their government/health service has got adequate care for them - this is going to stretch every health service around the world, with the odd exception, like Germany currently, from what I have seen/read. We can all do our bit and (bizarrely) one of them is continuing to wash your hands thoroughly/regularly, especially before and after going to the shops.

Just a reminder for everyone that on average 80% will only get mild symptoms (or asymptomatic). This means it can be easily transmitted onto elderly or ill without knowing. On a more positive note though, it also means that a majority of fit and healthy will be ok so we can get through this.

ps that’s not to downplay the horrors of the attached by the way. We have got to get used to seeing this as it will happen here. let’s just hope they/we can manage and god bless the health workers (and other key workers) that continue to put themselves at risk for the rest of us

Otis

It’s heart breaking and people need to start talking some personal responsibility in this situation (and hope that if they do become ill their government/health service has got adequate care for them - this is going to stretch every health service around the world, with the odd exception, like Germany currently, from what I have seen/read. We can all do our bit and (bizarrely) one of them is continuing to wash your hands thoroughly/regularly, especially before and after going to the shops.

Just a reminder for everyone that on average 80% will only get mild symptoms (or asymptomatic). This means it can be easily transmitted onto elderly or ill without knowing. On a more positive note though, it also means that a majority of fit and healthy will be ok so we can get through this.

ps that’s not to downplay the horrors of the attached by the way
I have always been a hygienic freak, well, ever since I went out with a girl for 3 years who had severe OCD. She left an indelible mark upon me.

I always put gel on my hands when I touch shopping baskets or trollies anyway, or doors on trains, or poles on buses (any nationality, really). It has become the norm for me to do that and at public toilets I never, ever touch the door handles.

All makes it so doubly difficult for me with my dad, because as I have said before, he never, ever washes his hands. Literally, never.

Really unnerves me when I go round to see him, because he fiddles with stuff and has to put his paws on everything, so if I take him a bag of shopping, he has to pull every single item out and then he passes them to back me to put away for him.

No word of a lie, when I am round there I must put gel on my hands 7 or 8 times.

And this was even before this virus outbreak.

CCFCSteve

Really unnerves me when I go round to see him, because he fiddles with stuff and has to put his paws on everything,.

A few women have said that about me to be fair mate.

There is a poor general personal hygiene in this country and around the world (again with certain exceptions). Hopefully a small positive to come out this situation will be an improvement of this as it will help reduce the spread of seasonal flu etc in future.

skyblue1991

Well it's me birthday.
What a f**kin time.
Running out of ciggies and ale .
:-(
On the bright side for you and many other people, this situation could help you give up smoking and help with your health and pennies!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Otis

On the bright side for you and many other people, this situation could help you give up smoking and help with your health and pennies!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Yup, save up your money so you can buy a shit load of fags after it all blows over.

Magwitch

my thoughts on this. I’m not sure anyone would be able to do a better job given the circumstances.

Boris Is the only show in town.

It’s not as if we can have another election is it?

JC is sitting at home. He will always take an adversarial view ( Also from a distance). He’s just doing it at the TV nowadays.

DA is probably doing the same because she doesn’t know how old she is or ran out of digits. 58 fingers ago.

j Mc Will be satisfied that everything is going fine with the Labour Leadership race.

Rees Mogg is probably self in self isolation still. His election campaign started the ball rolling.

Boris’ dad will be standing on the pub doorstep demanding he has a drink.

Theresa will be sitting at home thinking...when can I go to church again?

The others are likely taking a deep breath and wondering when the Conservative government is going to become totalitarian again. Good luck picking that one to pieces...
We might aswell have Boris Johnson as figure head than anyone else, he does look cress fallen but in fairness who wouldn’t any plans he and Cummings might have had have disappeared probably for good. What will be interesting is what happens when we come out the other side. The baulk of the announced “Key” workers are low paid who will demand their earnings increase.

Colin Steins Smile

Consider this: Who are the essential workers ?
Doctors, nurses, IT, care & support workers, food delivery, cleaners, supermarket staff ......apart from the medics & IT, basically a large number of lowest paid people in our society.
I don’t see solicitors, investment bankers, marketing experts, etc on the essential list.
At the end of this pandemic it might be time to reconsider our priorities.

Sick Boy

Consider this: Who are the essential workers ?
Doctors, nurses, IT, care & support workers, food delivery, cleaners, supermarket staff ......apart from the medics & IT, basically a large number of lowest paid people in our society.
I don’t see solicitors, investment bankers, marketing experts, etc on the essential list.
You can only hope, I’m not sure that De Pfeffel Johnson and the rampant individualism that’s been encouraged will survive either.

skybluetony176

Yep. The world as a whole needs to take a long hard look at itself and reprioritise everything. People like North Korea who in spite of everything going on around the world is still playing games firing missiles into the sea. People like Trump who are in places of great power to make serious changes to climate change but choose to deny it. And let’s be straight about it people are looking to blame China for this mess but meat is eaten all around the world so the reality is that this could happen anywhere. Maybe individually it’s time to take a look at ourselves and how our own behaviour. There’s now multiple very good reasons to stop eating meat and dare I say it dairy. It’s better for the environment, it’s better for your day to day health both physical and mental and if no one in the world ate meat it’s highly unlikely that this pandemic would ever have happened. Trump keeps referring to it a the China virus but let’s call it for what it is, it’s a meat eaters virus.

Flying Fokker

I walked past half a dozen teens sitting in a park bench. Hugging and generally having a goo time. Nothing wripong with this at all. Except when they see grandparents and pass on the love.

I have to admit, I’ve been a denier up till a couple of weeks ago...I leaned on conspiracy theory and it being just a bit worse than the normal trend of 20k deaths per year in Uk for

The Pub thing. Get over it. This virus thingy is supposed to transmit through social gatherings and work environments/ gyms etc. Cov and Warks has been lucky so far. Long may it continue.

I’m doing the work thing in the community. I suppose I could leave. My gym is closed. It should have closed a few days ago.

As for London... Italy in the making. I hope I’m wrong.

djr8369

There needs to be a list of every company who has been dicks to employees and ones trying to rip customers off and then when this is over they still have to stay closed

Let’s have it on here as a thread then get it around the rest of the net when all this is done.

We also need a thread where we can help people out. People can post what they need and then others reply or PM to offer support, pick up supplies for an elderly relative etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Let’s have it on here as a thread then get it around the rest of the net when all this is done.

We also need a thread where we can help people out. People can post what they need and then others reply or PM to offer support, pick up supplies for an elderly relative etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The help others thread is on off topic chat forum mate.

Nick - worth having it as a sticky/fixed thread on main forum ?

Flying Fokker

I have always been a hygienic freak, well, ever since I went out with a girl for 3 years who had severe OCD. She left an indelible mark upon me.

I always put gel on my hands when I touch shopping baskets or trollies anyway, or doors on trains, or poles on buses (any nationality, really). It has become the norm for me to do that and at public toilets

I work with a guy who has autism. His mother bought a sweater with small spots on it....hmm

He also pulls pilling off them.

I’m a gym user and wipe equipment down before and after use. The sauna is scary. The jacuzzi is a Petrie dish at the best of times. It should have shut earlier than it has. I think there may have been a bit of brinkmanship with govt.

CCFCSteve

You can only hope, I’m not sure that De Pfeffel Johnson and the rampant individualism that’s been encouraged will survive either.

Ive not seen many examples of this since he became PM mate (first budget and now the current assistance package also suggest otherwise). I stand to be corrected though

Ps i do think as a society we need to take a long hard look at ourselves though. The panic buying, selfish decision making etc is not showing us up in the best light

wingy

I watched the travel segment on BBC breakfast this morning.
The same correspondent was on .
Last week or the week before he was telling everyone to carry on , great time to travel and that's what he was going to do.
This morning he was explaining the tortuous trip back from the middle East he'd had ,examplified in many others experiences .
He and the Govt have been irresponsible on this .No excuses.

skybluetony176

Ps i do think as a society we need to take a long hard look at ourselves though. The panic buying, selfish decision making etc is not showing us up in the best light
You could argue that Johnson has been a huge part of promoting that attitude over the last few years though.

Magwitch

Listened to CNN news earlier this virus has just hit South Africa at the moment in its early stage as it was here three weeks ago, medical expert saying they expect thousands of deaths once it hits the townships and will ripple through the whole continent. Frightening !!

Sick Boy

Ive not seen many examples of this since he became PM mate (first budget and now the current assistance package also suggest otherwise). I stand to be corrected though

I meant the two as separate things.

Brighton Sky Blue

Didn’t realise basically everyone counts as a key worker according to the new list. Could be carnage around schools on Monday.

Astute

will it matter if you go early/late when there's no one around?
Said on another thread I've done something to my ankle so running out but I assumed I'd be OK to go for a long walk to stretch the legs and get some fresh air, is that not the case?
Lockdown is lockdown.

In France my wife is allowed out once a day. She fills out a form to say where she is going to. If she isn't on the most direct route she gets a fine of €135 for the first offence. The police and army are pulling people over all the time. Going for a walk isn't allowed unless it is around a grocery store. Your best bet is have a dog. Then you can walk up to 50 yards from your house.

shmmeee

Didn’t realise basically everyone counts as a key worker according to the new list. Could be carnage around schools on Monday.

I heard it’s 20% of students. Though that will not be equally distributed. Doubt there’s many Amazon delivery drivers kids at Henry’s for example.

shmmeee

Lockdown is lockdown.

In France my wife is allowed out once a day. She fills out a form to say where she is going to. If she isn't on the most direct route she gets a fine of €135 for the first offence. The police and army are pulling people over all the time. Going for a walk isn't allowed unless it is around a grocery store. Your best bet is have a dog. Then you can walk up to 50 yards from your house.

Did you see the people in Spain taking stuffed animals for walks?

CCFCSteve

Lockdown is lockdown.

If people don’t rein in their behaviour that’s what we’re going to have here if we’re not careful

Astute

Did you see the people in Spain taking stuffed animals for walks?
Wouldn't surprise me. Just being able to look at 4 walls can affect you mentally. I would hate to be locked up with a partner in a bad relationship. It will be hard getting locked up with someone you get on great with. A lot of people are actually going to find out about the person they are married to.

I have always gone for a walk to calm down when my other half has wound me up. Calms the situation and calms me. I couldn't imagine not being able to get out of the situation.

I can see the divorce rate shooting up when it is all over.

Users who are viewing this thread