Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (33 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
I don't know how many times we can explain this!

Yes there is potential for spread in shops. But people need to get food.

There is potential for spread in work. But people need to work.

There is potential for for spread in pubs. People don't need to go for a pint.

It's all about limiting non vital social interaction.

If we can limit the non essential stuff then hopefully we can get away with just closing the pubs and restaurants and people can still go to work and go to the supermarket.

The irony is that the people who don't want total lockdown are the ones that are going to cause it by going to non essential situations and exacerbating the spread.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out.

PEOPLE DONT NEED TO QUEUE UP FOR HOURS FOR FOOD WITH HUNDREDS OF OTHERS.

The Coop freezers are full of pizzas, chips, burgers etc.

Yet the message is "Go for a beer and you kill people and you are so selfish".

BornSlippySkyBlue

Should be done for everybody to be honest.

Just drive up, pay, put it in your boot. Have a few selections (gluten free, vegan, meat etc) and you get food for a week in a box for your family. Job done, drive away after you pay.

Much less hassle, much less risk of spreading, more people can get food they actually need.
It might come to that tbf.

shmmeee

Hopefully the rumours of the government subsidising wages up to 75% are true. I guess we find out later.

Personally, I'm screwed. Work from home as a freelancer and I only started up the business recently. I don't know if I'm entitled to any sort of grant as that will be administered via local authorities based on business rate records - but I don't have a business premises as I work from home, and I don't even have a payroll set up yet as I've been living off savings while I start the business. All that money has gone. Really worrying times.

Hope you’re OK mate. If there’s anything the SBT family can do to help I’m sure we will. Don’t suppose your business is anything we can support remotely?

NorthernWisdom

Even if you took away the over buying, the fact so many people "need to eat" as much as we are

200910-omag-foods-in-freezer-949x1356.jpg
Ah, the fruit's been in for about... three years.

May as well defrost it, and see what happens!

I've had soup in there for a year, and not died from it yet mind you...

theferret

The Coop freezers are full of pizzas, chips, burgers etc.

Yet the message is "Go for a beer and you kill people and you are so selfish".

One consequence of all this is that in 3 months or so, gym memberships will soar. People sat on the sofa for all that time eating carbs isn't going to end well.

Brylowes

Wasnt aimed at workers mate ! That’s essential and whilst I love a beer and night out with my mates, that’s probably not quite the same

also not aimed at going to shops etc. people need to live
I’ve run the same pub for the last fifteen years and for Boris to advise people to Avoid us like
the plague without actually having the balls to shut us down leaves Us nowhere to turn.
If ordered to shut we could approach insurance companies, Government, Brewers etc for help
Keeping the business alive in the months ahead and in a position to re-open whenever it is
Deemed safe to do so.

Basically we have been thrown under the bus ‘while he protects his friends in the world of
Insurance, leaving us with rent, utilities, PRS and a multitude of stealth taxes that apply to
The on-trade.
If he refuses to change tack on this particular situation ‘don’t be surprised if when you
Eventually emerge from behind your settee there’s not an awful lot left to come out for.

When the party in government survives and exists on donations received from Billionaires,
Big business and foreign oligarchs ‘don’t be at all surprised when it’s they that they govern
For.

Last edited:

djr8369

Yup, nobody is saying they do. They're saying people need to buy food so you can't ban that. It's not the same as saying go feral and panic buy.

BornSlippySkyBlue

It should be sooner rather than later. It would limit the risk for shop staff catching it too.

Just get them making up packages and people buy one of a few packages. Job done.

No queues, no spread by people coughing all over the stuff in the shop, no fighting, everybody gets food to get by.
I agree.

Liquid Gold

I envy those that have had it, once you get the test kits out and we can see who is alright they can get on with things as normal.

clint van damme

I’ve run the same pub for the last fifteen years and for Boris to advise people to Avoid us like
the plague without actually having the balls to shut us down leaves Us nowhere to turn.
If ordered to shut we could approach insurance companies, Government, Brewers etc for help
Keeping the business alive in the months ahead and in a position to re-open whenever it is
Deemed safe to do so.

Basically we have been thrown under the bus ‘while he protects his friends in the world of
Insurance, leaving us with rent, utilities, PRS and a multitude of stealth taxes that apply to
The on-trade.
If he refuses to change tack on this particular situation ‘don’t be surprised that when you
Eventually emerge from behind your settee there’s not an awful lot left to come out for.

When the party in government survives and exists on donations received from Billionaires,
Big business and foreign oligarchs ‘don’t be at all surprised when it’s they that they govern
For.

Yet people still think they're the party of the SME.

theferret

Hope you’re OK mate. If there’s anything the SBT family can do to help I’m sure we will. Don’t suppose your business is anything we can support remotely?

Cheers for that, really appreciated. I do web and graphic design, but there isn't really a need for that at the moment, it's not the sort of thing people want to spend money on right now. Fortunately my wife works in the public sector, so with her wages and a mortgage holiday we might be able to struggle through for a few months with support of family.

Nick

Administrator
Yup, nobody is saying they do. They're saying people need to buy food so you can't ban that. It's not the same as saying go feral and panic buy.

So people are CHOOSING to clog up the supermarkets rather than NEEDING to and spreading germs much more than somebody in the pub. Got there in the end.

I am pretty sure most people could live for a couple of weeks from tins in their cupboards, stuff from the freezer just by going to get bread and milk from their local shop every couple of days.

Grendel

You could issue rations based off electoral roll and get people to collect them from designated centres and close supermarkets down

NorthernWisdom

I’ve run the same pub for the last fifteen years
Just being nosy, but is it local? If so, which one?

You going to join some of the others in doing takeaway? I see the Oak in Brandon are saying take your bottle down, and get it filled up to take home for £2 a pint - will hopefully at least keep them goiing a bit, especially as they've just re-opened after a refurb!

Nick

Administrator
You could issue rations based off electoral roll and get people to collect them from designated centres and close supermarkets down

Exactly, just a big bag / box full of stuff for a week to be able to have healthy, nutritious meals.

Card payment, job done.

Brylowes

Just being nosy, but is it local? If so, which one?

You going to join some of the others in doing takeaway? I see the Oak in Brandon are saying take your bottle down, and get it filled up to take home for £2 a pint - will hopefully at least keep them goiing a bit, especially as they've just re-opened after a refurb!
No not local lm in Lowestoft, Suffolk

Grendel

Exactly, just a big bag / box full of stuff for a week to be able to have healthy, nutritious meals.

Card payment, job done.

The army or volunteers could distribute. I wonder if this was government advice but the supermarkets stayed open how many would still go

theferret

Deemed safe to do so.

The on-trade.
If he refuses to change tack on this particular situation ‘don’t be surprised that when you

For.

You're obviously much better placed than me to comment on this, but wasn't it confirmed the other day that the measures announced so far are enough for companies that have insurance against this sort of thing (not many apparently) to make a claim?

As for support from government, I'm really hoping that the chancellor comes up with something today. All the best and I hope it works out. If you let us know which pub you run (assuming it's local) and if you survive this, I'd be happy to come along and support your business in my own small way in a few months (assuming I survive it myself and get some work in!).

Ring Of Steel

UK fatality rate 'best estimate' is 0.5-1%

More on the advice being given by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) group to the UK government (see our 12:56 entry).

It says that “at least half of the year" would need to be spent using strict measures which include school closures and encouraging social distancing for everyone in society.

Less restrictive measures include: isolating cases, household isolation and social distancing just in vulnerable groups.

There would be a two-three week delay between measures being put into place and their impact being felt in intensive care.

The report also said it was "currently unclear" whether warmer weather would affect the spread of the virus.

And that the best estimate of the "infection fatality rate" (the proportion of people who die after being infected) is in the range of 0.5% to 1%.

djr8369

So people are CHOOSING to clog up the supermarkets rather than NEEDING to and spreading germs much more than somebody in the pub. Got there in the end.

I am pretty sure most people could live for a couple of weeks from tins in their cupboards, stuff from the freezer just by going to get bread and milk from their local shop every couple of days.

Brilliant.

You're moving the goal posts now as if people were defending needless panic buying. The conversation is about what the government can ask you to do. They can ask you don't go to the pub, they can't ask you don't buy food.

Reactions: PVA

Nick

Administrator
The army or volunteers could distribute. I wonder if this was government advice but the supermarkets stayed open how many would still go

PEOPLE JUST NEED TO EAT TO LIVE, IF YOU GO IN A PUB YOU ARE A MURDERER

Will then become

YES BUT PEOPLE WANT TO GO AND PICK THINGS FOR THEMSELVES

Users who are viewing this thread