Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (51 Viewers)

djr8369

The aim here is to slow the spread as much as possible to allow the NHS to cope without destroying the economy. That means stopping everything we can. Clearly food supply is not one of those things. Your desperate attempts to find a gotcha are getting silly.
SO you're saying I shouldn't breathe as that's how the infection can spread? What's the point of me wearing a seat belt when driving then if I could have a heart attack huh!?

What if somebodies Nan's dog needs walking and the neighbours kids offers to do so but then a stranger pats the dog on the head and that stranger knows somebody who's Dad works in A&E, WHAT ABOUT THEN!? You don't really care about the viral spread at all do you?

clint van damme

I even included a tweet of somebody encouraging it. It's the hysteria being whipped up.

Yes I get people need to eat, that is clearly not the point being made is it?

People are obsessing about how others going into a pub are going to kill old people, meanwhile there's hundreds of people queuing up outside supermarkets, touching trolleys, picking things up others have put down, scrambling to get things etc.

It comes down to sensible behaviour and doing what you can to limit the spread.

Going to the pub is not acting sensibly or considerately.
Going shopping is essential. But shop as you normally would
Don't hoard months worth of shit. Don't queue to get in for hours on end, dont brawl over rolls of toilet roll.

Nick

Administrator
I understand the words you are saying, but they are different points. You can’t ask people not to buy food, you can ask people not to do unnecessary things. They are different, it isn’t that we are all missing your point - it is that your point makes no difference to the rights and wrongs of continuing normal social practices in a pandemic. Such as going to the pub vs buying food.

My point is more about the attitude of people.

Yeah, somebody might have nipped for a quick pint after work. Then again a woman on Facebook might have spent hours in different supermarkets trying to get stuff that realistically, she doesn't need.

Who's the killer?

Shops should start stopping the choice.

djr8369

Those who say we should have done it before people got the virus certainly are. It could take 18 months to have a vaccine.

Many think they know how bad lockdown is. But the reality is a different matter.

Welcome to your 4 walls. It is all you will see for the vast majority of the time. One person allowed to go shopping. Trying to keep kids happy. Telling your dog he can't go for a walk.

My wife and kids are lucky. They have a garden that would have a housing estate on it if it was in the UK. Many people don't even have a garden in the UK. So fresh air not allowed. Can you imagine that for 3 months or more?

And as I said what about those who live alone? No visitors allowed. Not allowed to visit anyone. You might have worked out your own situation. But everyone is different.
Well you're right, I'm thinking about my personal experience and viewpoint and all of us on here have been fortunate to hear the stories from various people all over Europe. Maybe a lot of people aren't prepared for what it will be like but I think, generally on here at least, we have got a good idea.

PVA

Or being realistic.

Things need to be put into place to keep people apart. One of the safest places seems to be in a pub because most are empty. The most dangerous place in the UK is in shops. How about the workers? You don't seem to think it is a problem. But it is.

Exactly. People should be kept apart as much as possible.

So you go to work, you go to the shop if you need food, you go home.

Why go to the pub and add in an extra place to mix with people?

It's totally unnecessary.

I'd argue the most dangerous place in the UK is in hospitals. So by your logic let's send all the doctors and nurses home.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

From today I’m in self isolation for the next 12 weeks due to various health issues and because one of the pharmaceuticals I take reduces my immune system.
On Wednesday all staff were risk assessed within an hour of me telling them that my doctor had told me to self isolate a meeting was held with just the staff and we were told that instead of full sick pay we would be getting statutory sick pay if anything to do with Coronavirus. I’m not bothered I would rather be alive. I’m ok for money during this period however how wold others cope not as fortunate as I am on 90 odd pounds a week for 3 months. Also my period ends just as the peak of this epidemic is due what then, another 3 months?

BornSlippySkyBlue

I think supermarkets should just be putting boxes together to be honest. You turn up in your car and say how many people you have to feed (and prove it), you get a box with meat, veg and everything in and you pay and then you drive off.

If you are vegan you get a different box.
Think some of them are looking into schemes like this for those self-isolating etc.

Nick

Administrator
It comes down to sensible behaviour and doing what you can to limit the spread.

Going to the pub is not acting sensibly or considerately.
Going shopping is essential. But shop as you normally would
Don't hoard months worth of shit. Don't queue to get in for hours on end, dont brawl over rolls of toilet roll.

Yet the spread is going to be much worse in the shops but the focus is on people who go to the pub?

Yes, I get people NEED food but people have always needed food.

Nick

Administrator
Think some of them are looking into schemes like this for those self-isolating etc.

Should be done for everybody to be honest.

Just drive up, pay, put it in your boot. Have a few selections (gluten free, vegan, meat etc) and you get food for a week in a box for your family. Job done, drive away after you pay.

Much less hassle, much less risk of spreading, more people can get food they actually need.

covmark

My 40th today, was due to go out for a slap up meal with my immediate family. Cancelled it along with a load of other stuff we had planned. People just need to be sensible. Don't go out unless completely necessary. The experts aren't giving this advice just for a laugh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
From today I’m in self isolation for the next 12 weeks due to various health issues and because one of the pharmaceuticals I take reduces my immune system.
On Wednesday all staff were risk assessed within an hour of me telling them that my doctor had told me to self isolate a meeting was held with just the staff and we were told that instead of full sick pay we would be getting statutory sick pay if anything to do with Coronavirus. I’m not bothered I would rather be alive. I’m ok for money during this period however how wold others cope not as fortunate as I am on 90 odd pounds a week for 3 months. Also my period ends just as the peak of this epidemic is due what then, another 3 months?

Sorry to hear that. Already said that people who need to feed their family aren't going to sit in and rely on 90 a week if they can help it.

Grendel

Are you back on the crack or am I missing someone incredibly convoluted wind up. This thread is exhausting.

I genuinely find people’s attitude astonishing

Johnson has been maligned all the way through this thread. Yet he makes this one vague statement about social interaction and it’s seized on

People may need to eat but do not need to go to huge supermarkets to achieve the desire to eat

Supermarkets are a breeding ground for bacteria spread - as are take away joints

People who work in this area are hugely at risk due to the mass increase in numbers going there. The sanctimonious will always deride a person going to a deserted pub but will be fine with those going to a supermarket with a far greater risk

They will not want a bread winner to lose their job however much a risk they are but will not in the slightest car about bar staff and those who’ve striven to build up small restaurants - no one cares

I can tell you now as soon as the restrictions on elderly are introduced they will be abused in the supermarkets and old to get out. This is pitch fork mentality which really defies logic.

NorthernWisdom

One surprising issue came up today...

My laptop is at death'#s door, it's split apart and held together by tape. I was waiting for a reconditioned one from work, but that obviously won't happen now. So I decided to buy one... but all the ones I want are now sold out.

Let's hope this one keeps going for long enough until they end up back in stock!

shmmeee

Sorry to hear that. Already said that people who need to feed their family aren't going to sit in and rely on 90 a week if they can help it.

Which is why relying on SSP is counterproductive. Of course people are going to work and not isolate when slightly ill if that’s their choice. Look at what other countries are doing for people, it’s just us that’s treating it like any other sickness/joblessness. It’s callous and counterproductive is what it is (sorry to bring politics in ;) )

theferret

Hopefully the rumours of the government subsidising wages up to 75% are true. I guess we find out later.

Personally, I'm screwed. Work from home as a freelancer and I only started up the business recently. I don't know if I'm entitled to any sort of grant as that will be administered via local authorities based on business rate records - but I don't have a business premises as I work from home, and I don't even have a payroll set up yet as I've been living off savings while I start the business. All that money has gone. Really worrying times.

clint van damme

Good luck BHSB. How do you intend keeping yourself occupied?

PVA

Yet the spread is going to be much worse in the shops but the focus is on people who go to the pub?

Yes, I get people NEED food but people have always needed food.

I don't know how many times we can explain this!

Yes there is potential for spread in shops. But people need to get food.

There is potential for spread in work. But people need to work.

There is potential for for spread in pubs. People don't need to go for a pint.

It's all about limiting non vital social interaction.

If we can limit the non essential stuff then hopefully we can get away with just closing the pubs and restaurants and people can still go to work and go to the supermarket.

The irony is that the people who don't want total lockdown are the ones that are going to cause it by going to non essential situations and exacerbating the spread.

David O'Day

My laptop is at death'#s door, it's split apart and held together by tape. I was waiting for a reconditioned one from work, but that obviously won't happen now. So I decided to buy one... but all the ones I want are now sold out.

Let's hope this one keeps going for long enough until they end up back in stock!
Laptops are made in China and the ones in the UK are being snapped up so people can work at home

djr8369

Can you wipe your arse with a laptop??

Sky Blue Pete

I got the distinct impression from Boris yesterday that he was setting the populace up for blame. Currently if things spread he can legitimately say that everyone was advised not to do this or that but ignored the warning. I may be wrong

NorthernWisdom

Hopefully the rumours of the government subsidising wages up to 75% are true. I guess we find out later.

Personally, I'm screwed. Work from home as a freelancer and I only started up the business recently. I don't know if I'm entitled to any sort of grant as that will be administered via local authorities based on business rate records - but I don't have a business premises as I work from home, and I don't even have a payroll set up yet as I've been living off savings while I start the business. All that money has gone. Really worrying times.
My sympathies. I did think it was a good job I didn't quit my job in a fit of pique, as I nearly did a month ago!

Grendel

I don't know how many times we can explain this!

Yes there is potential for spread in shops. But people need to get food.

There is potential for spread in work. But people need to work.

There is potential for for spread in pubs. People don't need to go for a pint.

It's all about limiting non vital social interaction.

If we can limit the non essential stuff then hopefully we can get away with just closing the pubs and restaurants and people can still go to work and go to the supermarket.

The irony is that the people who don't want total lockdown are the ones that are going to cause it by going to non essential situations and exacerbating the spread.

So do you agree people should only go to shops say once a week?

ccfc92

Exactly.

At the minute if you walk into a pub you are a murderer and there's disgust because you would spread the germs. Queue up for hours in a shop surrounded by loads of others and you "just want to eat."

I just want to eat, it's pie and chips from the freezer tonight if they are still in date. Been in there ages.

200910-omag-foods-in-freezer-949x1356.jpg

BornSlippySkyBlue

My point is more about the attitude of people.

Yeah, somebody might have nipped for a quick pint after work. Then again a woman on Facebook might have spent hours in different supermarkets trying to get stuff that realistically, she doesn't need.

Who's the killer?

Shops should start stopping the choice.
I totally agree with you that some (lots of) people are making things worse with their inconsiderate behaviour whilst shopping, but unfortunately for the rest of us we still have to get food somehow. And for what it’s worth we haven’t bought more of anything apart from (literally) 4 tins of soup and a few packs of part baked bread (which we buy anyway and will eat before it goes out of date).

We’ve set up delivery for my mum and dad who both live on their own and are ‘at risk’ so they don’t have to fight with the nobs and from now on I am going to avoid shops as much as possible. And pubs!

Ring Of Steel

SO you're saying I shouldn't breathe as that's how the infection can spread? What's the point of me wearing a seat belt when driving then if I could have a heart attack huh!?

What if somebodies Nan's dog needs walking and the neighbours kids offers to do so but then a stranger pats the dog on the head and that stranger knows somebody who's Dad works in A&E, WHAT ABOUT THEN!? You don't really care about the viral spread at all do you?

"Would you rather be in Spain?"

Users who are viewing this thread