Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (17 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Not that it matters either way and as shit as it is for her, at least she’s not lying in a hospital bed hooked up to a ventilator or even worse in a morgue.
Yeah, if I could guarantee I'd catch the thing and basically be alright after two or three weeks, I'd take it, get it out the way.

Shame there aren't those guarantees!

wingy

Yeah, i keep wondering about whether some people are just more genetically pre-disposed to being ill with it than others as it does seem quite random.
I'm sure there is a fair chunk of society who are wandering around who are unaware of inherited conditions, although the screening for problems is pretty good.

shmmeee

In the opticians with my daughter today, signs up “this is a medical environment please wear a mask at all times”

while we’re being seen a guy comes in.

Optician: do you have a mask?
Man: Nah I’m exempt, got asthma
O: Oh me too! I always wear a mask though, it can be quite bad if you have it
Man: Nah, load of bollocks, it’s just the flu, I’ve had it twice. Of course I couldn’t walk up stairs for a couple of weeks after but it’s just a flu
O: Oh have you had your jab then?
Man: Nah load of shit, not letting them out that in me
O: Oh, they’re saying you’ll have to have it to go abroad
Man: I’ve got a camper van, don’t want to go abroad
O: OK, anyway look at this green light…
Man: Yeah Bill Gates in the WHO wants to cull the population, been saying it for twenty years look it up
O: OK, just look here
Man: I get your scared, I can see it, but I’ve done my research…

And so on. As he left he shouts out “Bill Gates, check it out”

Woman deserves a medal.

clint van damme

In the opticians with my daughter today, signs up “this is a medical environment please wear a mask at all times”

while we’re being seen a guy comes in.

Optician: do you have a mask?
Man: Nah I’m exempt, got asthma
O: Oh me too! I always wear a mask though, it can be quite bad if you have it
Man: Nah, load of bollocks, it’s just the flu, I’ve had it twice. Of course I couldn’t walk up stairs for a couple of weeks after but it’s just a flu
O: Oh have you had your jab then?
Man: Nah load of shit, not letting them out that in me
O: Oh, they’re saying you’ll have to have it to go abroad
Man: I’ve got a camper van, don’t want to go abroad
O: OK, anyway look at this green light…
Man: Yeah Bill Gates in the WHO wants to cull the population, been saying it for twenty years look it up
O: OK, just look here
Man: I get your scared, I can see it, but I’ve done my research…

And so on. As he left he shouts out “Bill Gates, check it out”

Woman deserves a medal.

what are the chances of two posters from here being in the same opticians?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Some people on here have said it only kills these people and anyone young and reasonably healthy will be fine. That's not true.

It doesn't only kill elderly people and those with underlying health conditions, but I would guess a very high amount of deaths are attributed to those in either category. Do you have the stats? Happy to look over them if so.

skybluetony176

I was reading something the other day (I’ll have to look it up for a link) that was comparing on average how much victims of Covid had have been expected to live had they not caught it compared to life expectancy had people not died from seasonal flu. Basically on average people who have died of Covid would have been expected to live another 10 years had they not caught it compared to people who have died of seasonal flu who would have been expected to live an extra 5 years had they not caught it.

shmmeee

It doesn't only kill elderly people and those with underlying health conditions, but I would guess a very high amount of deaths are attributed to those in either category. Do you have the stats? Happy to look over them if so.

Small percentages of very big numbers are still big numbers.

Sick Boy

Has the UK vaccine roll out hit something of a wall? I saw that 6 EU countries now have higher percentages of vaccinations.

Grendel

Has the UK vaccine roll out hit something of a wall? I saw that 6 EU countries now have higher percentages of vaccinations.

No we just have focussed on adults whereas the Eu have vaccinated across all over 12 and quote percentages of the whole population

Good bit of EU spin though

CCFCSteve

Only approx 35k per day first doses. Slower up take amongst the young uns but that’s probably offset a bit by natural immunity/antibodies in those younger age groups. If everyone who’s got a first dose gets a second that’s 89% of adult population (currently 74%). I don’t think anyone would’ve expected such a high take up at the start of the roll out

There’s been talk of herd immunity being unlikely anyway so if everyone who wants a jab has had one/two and the hospitals are unlikely to get overrun, then the roll outs kind of done it’s job already anyway

Ps Not sure if European countries numbers quoted are adults only or inc kids jabs ?

Grendel

Only approx 35k per day first doses. Slower up take amongst the young uns but that’s probably offset a bit by natural immunity/antibodies in those younger age groups. If everyone who’s got a first dose gets a second that’s 89% of adult population (currently 74%). I don’t think anyone would’ve expected such a high take up at the start of the roll out

There’s been talk of herd immunity being unlikely anyway so if everyone who wants a jab has had one and the hospitals are unlikely to get overrun, then the roll outs kind of done it’s job already anyway

Ps Not sure if European countries numbers quoted are adults only or inc kids jabs ?

Yeah they changed the measurement and many countries have pushed the jab across school age children

Personally I’d rather we get the 90% of adults double dosed then so boosters for the over 50’s

Grendel

Spain has great overall rates but their rates amongst the more vulnerable are not so good

Italy also I believe have around 2 million over 65s with no vaccine

Grendel

Sick Boy

Yeah they changed the measurement and many countries have pushed the jab across school age children

Personally I’d rather we get the 90% of adults double dosed then so boosters for the over 50’s
It’s inevitable the UK will do as well, IMO.

Grendel

Most Spanish regions only starting vaccinating over 12s last week.

As FP says they are vaccinated non vulnerable people - last month the age group of around 60 - 65 has dire levels second dosed

Grendel

Sick Boy

I still don’t see why you’d do it. It’s better to get all adults jabbed and then boosters - there’s no point in having 70% jabbed if 40% of venerable age groups haven’t
I presume to try and get some sort of control over it in schools? I think they started doing it in America before they started in Europe. Presumably getting something closer to herd immunity with the over 12s vaccinated also removes the need for boosters across more of the general population after 9 months of whatever it is.

Grendel

I presume to try and get some sort of control over it in schools? I think they started doing it in America before they started in Europe. Presumably getting something closer to herd immunity with the over 12s vaccinated also removes the need for boosters across more of the general population after 9 months of whatever it is.

You’ll need boosters anyway as the immunity will wear off from the vaccines - everyone will need boosters

Grendel

Let’s hope not forever!

Next few years I’d think especially for older population especially is travel is to get back to normal

Users who are viewing this thread