Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

Grendel

Most people here are supportive of them.

Reteurs claim tens of thousands hit the streets in a co-ordinated protest across the whole country?

Tear gas and riots in France?

skybluetony176

Agreed. It currently feels like some under 30s dont think Covid is a big enough risk to them to have the vaccine. Although it doesn’t look like we’ll reach herd immunity levels with the vaccine, I’m hopeful that a combination of natural immunity/antibodies, plus the vaccines might get us up to the required level. You’d imagine the recent transmission amongst the kids/teenagers would help with this

Either way, even if we reach herd immunity levels, with international travel and large proportions of the world being unvaccinated, I think the virus will unfortunately be with us for a good while yet
I think we’ll end up fully opening the vaccine to younger age groups soon. We’ll have to too achieve presumed heard immunity.

Grendel

It’s a country of over 60 million people.

But many will qualify for the pass or are under 18?

If you base protests by that measure no majority supported any protest in the history of time.

Sick Boy

But many will qualify for the pass or are under 18?

If you base protests by that measure no majority supported any protest in the history of time.
The pass is given to those vaccinated 15 days after the first dose, those who have had covid with 6 months or who have a negative test within 48 hours can also get it.
Those who won’t qualify are those who won’t have it. I THINK under 12s don’t need it.
Personally, I think it’s to push those who are hesitant to get vaccinated, there’s been a big upsurge amongst those who haven’t had a first dose since it was announced.

CCFCSteve

You have focused on 30% who haven’t had it and not the 70% who have, which is pretty strong considering this group has been told certain vaccines are a bigger risk to them than the virus.

I agree, I think 70% take up is very good for under 30s. I don’t think anyone is questioning that. The fact remains there’s still 30% in the younger age groups that remain unvaccinated. That’s their choice but I hope that maybe as much through anecdotal evidence (friends getting covid etc) as from scientific evidence, more younger adults will continue to get jabbed and those numbers improve

skybluetony176

There’s also the small issue of global vaccination. As it stands less than a third of the world population has received one dose. We aren’t safe until everyone is safe, not just in this country but every country. We’ve already witnessed how a variant the other side of the world quickly changes the situation globally. There’s a long way to go yet.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree, I think 70% take up is very good for under 30s. I don’t think anyone is questioning that. The fact remains there’s still 30% in the younger age groups that remain unvaccinated. That’s their choice but I hope that maybe as much through anecdotal evidence (friends getting covid etc) as from scientific evidence, more younger adults will continue to get jabbed and those numbers improve

The blame lies less with them and more the terrible messaging in my view

COV

It’s a country of over 60 million people.

And we’ve just been shown footage of thousands on the streets in London campaigning against it- would have thought the ratio of normal : nutcase is fairly consistent across most countries? USA probably an exception 👍

COV

There’s also the small issue of global vaccination. As it stands less than a third of the world population has received one dose. We aren’t safe until everyone is safe, not just in this country but every country. We’ve already witnessed how a variant the other side of the world quickly changes the situation globally. There’s a long way to go yet.

This is true- herd immunity means across the whole population who can contract it, not just a few countries

Grendel

And we’ve just been shown footage of thousands on the streets in London campaigning against it- would have thought the ratio of normal : nutcase is fairly consistent across most countries? USA probably an exception 👍

The U.K. campaign isn’t actually against that but anti anti vaccine type of rally and also I don’t think 160,000 were there

COV

The U.K. campaign isn’t actually against that but anti anti vaccine type of rally and also I don’t think 160,000 were there

There were big protests last week as well though?

Wouldn’t have thought that we’re too much different to most other countries in terms of idiots per 1,000

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's the misconception that many against vaccine passports are simply 'anti-vaxx'. It isn't true. Also, I would say a large amount of people with scepticism about this vaccine aren't your usual type screaming about autism from MMR etc.

We don't protest like the French do for example, but look at the numbers of people deleting the app. That's the kind of action the public will take. The proposed vaccine passport is making waves, but as a nation we aren't really a proactive one when it comes to dissent.

COV

It's the misconception that many against vaccine passports are simply 'anti-vaxx'. It isn't true. Also, I would say a large amount of people with scepticism about this vaccine aren't your usual type screaming about autism from MMR etc.

We don't protest like the French do for example, but look at the numbers of people deleting the app. That's the kind of action the public will take. The proposed vaccine passport is making waves, but as a nation we aren't really a proactive one when it comes to dissent.

I sometimes wonder if these people can actually make their mind up what they’re complaining about specifically, or they’re just generally pissed off and whatever anyone does with regard to covid they protest about it

Sick Boy

Is Italy getting the nonsense with people waving Trump flags around too?
Not seen any but the moronic Salvini wore a Trump hat during the presidency race during interviews, even he ended up being vaccinated over the last couple of days.

COV

Literally what the fuck...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Also- and it’s not a huge number, but still- in the clinical trials they counted everyone who had the placebo and not the actual vaccine as being genuinely fully vaccinated.

Grendel

I’m only quoting this and looking at these images

Brighton Sky Blue

When we don’t like a restaurant we don’t complain to the manager, we just don’t go back

Grendel

Conveniently ignored the above posted opinion polls then.

I don’t know why you get sensitive - I’m pointing out acts of this diet can’t be ignored. If 80 cities in the U.K. say had thousands protesting against the Johnson government and its handling of the pandemic you would just dismiss them as cranks?

COV

Then of course there’s this

Not sure I see too much difference aside from the cultural ones which were mentioned above.

We had a woman asking for the names and personal details of healthcare staff be handed in so that they can go on trial and be executed. In London, in front of thousands.

Sick Boy

I don’t know why you get sensitive - I’m pointing out acts of this diet can’t be ignored. If 80 cities in the U.K. say had thousands protesting against the Johnson government and its handling of the pandemic you would just dismiss them as cranks?
I'm not being sensitive but you're projecting the actions of thousands onto a country of 60 million.
It's like me trying to claim that this - Thousands of anti-vaccine protesters gather in London is somehow representative of widespread UK opinion, when it's not.

Last edited:

COV

It’s a fair point, however isn’t there an argument to say that protesting against a life-saving vaccine is much more indicative of a crank than protesting against a government who have clearly made several mistakes? One saves lives, the other has cost lives

NorthernWisdom

It represents about 1% of the total, it's a non story and Peston is an idiot
Going forward, you'd assume it will increase as a %age however.

And FWIW, surely it's in government's interests to include it, as what it then does is make %age of infected people suffering seriously from Covid... lower? Going forward, if people get reinfected but do relatively OK, that's surely a very valuable thing to know, and also to see playing out?

Users who are viewing this thread