Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (33 Viewers)

wingy

I had mine on Weds, felt fine for a few hours then awful for a day. Started recovering yesterday. A lot better now, but not perfect. Going by comments on social media, the younger you are the harder the AZ hits you.
Yes I think anecdotally that appears to be the case .
Be interesting to get a breakdown of why that is , likely several reasons I expect.
Linked to natural immunity levels as we age?

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve seen a lot of people booking overseas holidays this year later on. Anyone else feel that the borders should be closed until the new year? Especially with cases getting worse everywhere else.

I think it's pretty barmy for folks to be doing that, spend your money in the UK at places that have been crying out for business.

Grendel

Ccfcisparks

I think it's pretty barmy for folks to be doing that, spend your money in the UK at places that have been crying out for business.
Doesn’t help with countries like Cyprus saying they will be opened to vaccinated individuals. Anyone with sense wouldn’t go, but some people don’t have sense

Brighton Sky Blue

Further lockdown is inevitable as we haven’t as a society understood that even with the vaccine this virus has changed so much we take for granted

The scientist in me politely disagrees Pete. We will have greatly reduced the ability of the virus to put people in hospital or worse and have the technology to quickly respond to new strains come the winter.

Sky Blue Pete

The scientist in me politely disagrees Pete. We will have greatly reduced the ability of the virus to put people in hospital or worse and have the technology to quickly respond to new strains come the winter.
I hear you. Just reflecting on Asda Saturday and my mum and the vigil and other gatherings. We forget so quickly what’s possible. If it’s not possible why are we being so slow to open up again I’m your opinion as a scientist

shmmeee

I hear you. Just reflecting on Asda Saturday and my mum and the vigil and other gatherings. We forget so quickly what’s possible. If it’s not possible why are we being so slow to open up again I’m your opinion as a scientist

Because we aren’t there yet. The kids went back three weeks after priority groups had their first jab, pubs and things will open roughly three weeks after all vulnerable will have had theirs. And by the time all restrictions are gone most of the adult population will have been vaccinated with their first jab.

Outdoor events don’t seem to be an issue so I’m not concerned about a spike from the vigil just like there wasn’t one from last summers protests.

Only real concern I have is whether we get a vaccine resistant strain. Short of that I’m pretty confident we’ll hit the current timescales and not need to go back. I’d be very surprised if first game back at the Ricoh had limited attendance.

I probably would’ve waited until Easter before sending the kids back, but even so we’ve got a natural two week firebreak that’ll hopefully stop cases taking off too much before we’ve done all the over 50s.

David O'Day

Because we aren’t there yet. The kids went back three weeks after priority groups had their first jab, pubs and things will open roughly three weeks after all vulnerable will have had theirs. And by the time all restrictions are gone most of the adult population will have been vaccinated with their first jab.

Outdoor events don’t seem to be an issue so I’m not concerned about a spike from the vigil just like there wasn’t one from last summers protests.

Only real concern I have is whether we get a vaccine resistant strain. Short of that I’m pretty confident we’ll hit the current timescales and not need to go back. I’d be very surprised if first game back at the Ricoh had limited attendance.

I probably would’ve waited until Easter before sending the kids back, but even so we’ve got a natural two week firebreak that’ll hopefully stop cases taking off too much before we’ve done all the over 50s.

Even Vallance don't believe that outdoor protests/vigils create spikes in transmission but there is still a sizeable window for the virus to spike again. It's madness to to think there isn't.

Saddlebrains

Even Vallance don't believe that outdoor protests/vigils create spikes in transmission but there is still a sizeable window for the virus to spike again. It's madness to to think there isn't.

Ok, lets say for arguments sake youre right.

With things gradually reopening, Does it matter if we see say 30 thousand cases a day if we spike up again, as long as hospitalisations and severe illness stay low?

All the numbers coming from the vaccines, from ourselves and Israel show an over 95% efficacy from 2 doses.

Even from one dose you are in the ballpark of over 60-70% less chance of serious illness.

Also, studies are showing that in those vaccinated, even with 1 jab, that after 2 weeks the transmission is cut by over 65%.

I refer you to the tweet i posted above. We are vaccinating 121 people for every 1 person who tests positive. thats only going to go up now the vaccine drive ticks up a gear. Whatever way you look at that, there is no way a major 3rd wave can kick off surely?

Grendel

Logically yes - there will be need I assume for boosters in winter.

Europe though is a concern as there will be lots of movement across borders I’d expect over the summer and we see Italy with 25,000 cases and Germany up 33% WOW and the fact they are well off the pace vaccine wise and again casting doubt on the Oxford version

jordan210

Are Ireland playing some silly political game with this vaccine? Suspending the Oxford one View attachment 19173

The whole EU is playing a silly game. Trying to cover the incompetence of the leaders.

At first the vaccine dint work.
Then they tried to withhold vaccines to UK.
Then they raided the factory
Then they wanted more of it so stopped shipments to Canada and Australia
Now it has bad sides effects.

What next it makes you sprout wings and fly away ?

CCFCSteve

The whole EU is playing a silly game. Trying to cover the incompetence of the leaders.

At first the vaccine dint work.
Then they tried to withhold vaccines to UK.
Then they raided the factory
Then they wanted more of it so stopped shipments to Canada and Australia
Now it has bad sides effects.

What next it makes you sprout wings and fly away ?

It’s right for health authorities to be concerned if anything like clots and other dangerous side affects happen following vaccinations, however, I read a comment from AZ saying that they have analysed 17m jabs administered and the clot percentage was actually lower than would've occurred naturally in an unvaccinated population.

Maybe countries have different data or outside chance of a dubious batch (guessing unlikely). Happy for us to follow our advice though. If its politically motivated then it’s extremely risky/reckless as vaccine scepticism is already worryingly high on the continent (especially in France) and the Pfizer jab is just so much harder to roll out quickly

Grendel

It’s right for health authorities to be concerned if anything like clots and other dangerous side affects happen following vaccinations, however, I read a comment from AZ saying that they have analysed 17m jabs administered and the clot percentage was actually lower than would've occurred naturally in an unvaccinated population.

Maybe countries have different data or outside chance of a dubious batch (guessing unlikely). Happy for us to follow our advice though. If its politically motivated then it’s extremely risky/reckless as vaccine scepticism is already worryingly high on the continent (especially in France) and the Pfizer jab is just so much harder to roll out quickly

When Katya Adler writes this you know it’s a problem

wingy

Clarify for me,does the efficacy % correspond to the transmission %.
If so how can we ever experience the levels of infection of the previous peaks?
Seen it reported to be as high as 90% in a couple of papers/studies.

wingy

Think people hearing that we could be back to "normal" by June makes them think that all their holidays abroad will be fine too. That is not the case and the government should have clarified that really.
Huge pressure from the travel sector though .
Passports?

wingy

When Katya Adler writes this you know it’s a problem

Yeah I understand that but equally the FT ran an article over the weekend seriously questioning how it's still the case that at least one production facility of AZ still hasn't applied to the EU body for that facility to come online
Or whether it's production up to now has been stockpiled for use once they do seek and get clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread