Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (31 Viewers)

shmmeee

I'm just describing some of the antics of the last Labour Government without going into too much detail.

They were that mad and bad. If you want a detailed account, I am happy to share information on how abusive they were with individual rights.

In fact, laws were needed to be passed through Parliament to stop stuff like this from happening again.

I don't think I will be voting Labour this time around. It is too much of a risk.

Cool.

If I find myself in 1997 again I’ll make sure not to vote for Tony Blair.

shmmeee

No there’s many tests just for tests sake. There’sa constant flow of people to Bedworth non symptoms site.

All the vox pops on the news the other with people getting tests were people working with the public getting preemptive tests to make sure they hadn’t caught it and were asymptomatic.

Philosorapter

Cool.

If I find myself in 1997 again I’ll make sure not to vote for Tony Blair.

Of course, the issue being that many people who thought this was okay in 1997 are still in a position of power in the party at the local and national level or have very close links.

shmmeee

Of course, the issue being that many people who thought this was okay in 1997 are still in a position of power in the party at the local and national level or have very close links.

OK.

Well meanwhile the rich have got richer, the poor poorer, over 100k people have died and we’ve fucked the economy for the foreseeable future.

But I’ll really think hard about LGA pensions a quarter of a century ago. Thanks.

clint van damme

No there’s many tests just for tests sake. There’sa constant flow of people to Bedworth non symptoms site.

I worked in one for a couple of weeks.
A lot of employers are asking employees to get checked weekly.
Bit of a box ticking excersise but if people don't comply they don't work.

shmmeee

That he's not ahead at this point shows we're on an island full of psychopaths. Tories voters will excuse anything boris etc will do to look right.
Buy/own all the media to support you and you'll win regardless of ideas or how many times you screw up?

More pay people to sit at home and then give their granny a life saving vaccine during a national crisis and you tend to be popular.

Can’t repeat enough that most people aren’t spending every day consuming politics news and generally only think about it once every five year. Right now is unusual in that the government are around every day, and in most people eyes they’re “doing their best” and are giving them half off Wagamama.

The idea they should be behind is nuts. Just pants on head crazy. Beryl down the road isn’t fuming about Matt Hancock missing a document publishing guideline believe it or not.

SG21

More pay people to sit at home and then give their granny a life saving vaccine during a national crisis and you tend to be popular.

Can’t repeat enough that most people aren’t spending every day consuming politics news and generally only think about it once every five year. Right now is unusual in that the government are around every day, and in most people eyes they’re “doing their best” and are giving them half off Wagamama.

The idea they should be behind is nuts. Just pants on head crazy. Beryl down the road isn’t fuming about Matt Hancock missing a document publishing guideline believe it or not.
Thing is, as we've seen in the past, come election time people still won't care. They'll say "oh, that was ages ago" and still vote for them. I'd be very surprised if come next election anything changes.

SG21

That's bad. Especially if you're in a vulnerable category. Tossers
🤷‍♂️ I can't do anything, so I'm stuck either way. This is just another reason in a long line of them of why I'm itching to leave Cov. Regret moving here as it's been nothing but misery tbh. It was once a nice place I'm sure and there is nice people still, but on balance, I'd rather live somewhere else.

Ian1779

And you still don’t understand how politics works
Looking at Labour’s idea from this week of opposing a coroporation tax rise (which even Tory voters support) suggests they are not exactly reading the room either.

Before we even get onto their hard on for nukes in post Cov-ID world. Well just end a future pandemic by dropping a bomb on it.

Brylowes

Youngest daughter just text. Had her jab yesterday, not well today!! Had the AZ.
Nearly everyone know who’s had the AZ jab has felt unwell for a couple of days afterwards, I had mine 3 weeks back and was fine, had a little swelling and itchyness around the injection area but otherwise fine.

clint van damme

Nearly everyone know who’s had the AZ jab has felt unwell for a couple of days afterwards, I had mine 3 weeks back and was fine, had a little swelling and itchyness around the injection area but otherwise fine.

I obviously don't understand how these things work but I'd have thought it would be the Pfizer with the live virus that made you ill not this one.
Anyhow, glad she's had it. Gets the 2nd dose in May.

Terry Gibson's perm

I worked in one for a couple of weeks.
A lot of employers are asking employees to get checked weekly.
Bit of a box ticking excersise but if people don't comply they don't work.

We have been told to go to a test centre and get tested twice a week but I don’t know of any of the staff going, they have said get the test here and we will do them in your time and not ours.

clint van damme

Surely Beryl knows there's 120k plus people died though?

fernandopartridge

The main point isn't Hancock not publishing an advert to say he's awarded a contract, the key questions are:

1. Why was the government in the position that it had such an under-supply of PPE, despite having an established pandemic plan which required stock levels to be maintained?
  2. Why were the contracts awarded to newly established companies which generally had links to the Conservative party?
  3. Why were the NHS procurement mechanisms that the Conservative party designed bypassed?
  4. Of the contracts awarded, how many have provided PPE at the standard required to protect NHS and care staff?

chiefdave

That he's not ahead at this point shows we're on an island full of psychopaths. Tories voters will excuse anything boris etc will do to look right.
You've just described my Dad. I've had the same conversation with him over and over again. If anyone mentions how shit the response has been he'll challenge you to name anything they could have done better. Which is followed by a list of things they could, and should, have done better which he will ignore.

My Mum on the other hand, a lifelong Daily Mail reading Conservative voter, thinks they've done an appauling job. Oddly despite thinking Starmer wouldn't do any better she was full of praise for Burnham and thinks Sultana is the best MP she's ever had!

Ian1779

You've just described my Dad. I've had the same conversation with him over and over again. If anyone mentions how shit the response has been he'll challenge you to name anything they could have done better. Which is followed by a list of things they could, and should, have done better which he will ignore.

My Mum on the other hand, a lifelong Daily Mail reading Conservative voter, thinks they've done an appauling job. Oddly despite thinking Starmer wouldn't do any better she was full of praise for Burnham and thinks Sultana is the best MP she's ever had!
It’s funny isn’t it - my Mum is a staunch Tory and has the same relationship with the Daily Mail as a Jehovah Witness does with its literal interpretation of the Bible. Thinks the EU have never supported the UK despite her living in Cornwall and in a community that was dependent on EU grants to support it.

She will defend Boris and what he’s done all day long to the point she thinks the NHS need to be split up and replaced with a system she could never afford to access.... it’s lunacy.

She didn’t like Corbyn and his ‘communist’ politics, but respected him for not being in it for himself. She thinks Starmer is worse than Corbyn as she thinks he’s in it in it for his own end.

What to take out of all that.

fernandopartridge

It’s funny isn’t it - my Mum is a staunch Tory and has the same relationship with the Daily Mail as a Jehovah Witness does with its literal interpretation of the Bible. Thinks the EU have never supported the UK despite her living in Cornwall and in a community that was dependent on EU grants to support it.

She will defend Boris and what he’s done all day long to the point she thinks the NHS need to be split up and replaced with a system she could never afford to access.... it’s lunacy.

She didn’t like Corbyn and his ‘communist’ politics, but respected him for not being in it for himself. She thinks Starmer is worse than Corbyn as she thinks he’s in it in it for his own end.

What to take out of all that.

The underlying false assumption Tory voters make about the party is that they are in government for the sake of people who live here

covcity4life

When they say live with covid like flu ,it won't quite be like that will it?

You would still need to be worried for family members thst it might kill them? Vaccine or no vaccine?

Saddlebrains

You would still need to be worried for family members thst it might kill them? Vaccine or no vaccine?

I suppose so yes. But we've lived with the Flu for centuries and life is as normal

Sick Boy

Unfortunately yes but it’d likely be not as widespread as now and they’d be more effective treatments with more understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread