Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (37 Viewers)

PVA

A reminder that there is a shocking amount of racism in this country.

"In one of the starkest findings, one in eight Britons (13%) said they think black people are more likely to be unemployed and have lower incomes because they “lack motivation or willpower”.

This attitude was held by more than one in five of the Conservative voters polled, compared with less than one in 20 Labour supporters. Overall, 47% said those inequalities are because of discrimination but strikingly racist views remain, with 4% of respondents saying inequality was because most black people have “less in-born ability to learn”. The researchers discovered this by asking questions rarely posed in the UK, but often included in US social surveys."

shmmeee

"In one of the starkest findings, one in eight Britons (13%) said they think black people are more likely to be unemployed and have lower incomes because they “lack motivation or willpower”.

This attitude was held by more than one in five of the Conservative voters polled, compared with less than one in 20 Labour supporters. Overall, 47% said those inequalities are because of discrimination but strikingly racist views remain, with 4% of respondents saying inequality was because most black people have “less in-born ability to learn”. The researchers discovered this by asking questions rarely posed in the UK, but often included in US social surveys."

4% is around the bat shit number, any poll has around that level of trolls/can’t understand the question/ticked the wrong box and it can safely be written off.

British social attitudes survey has good longitudinal data and asks people if they are prejudiced against other races. The number has been slowly dropping from about 35% to around 25%, and the question is still ambiguous (especially now the woke orthodoxy is to recognise everyone is racially biased), but it’s a pretty good indicator.

And of course, standard disclaimer that this is lower than most countries but of course still not low enough.

PVA

4% is around the bat shit number, any poll has around that level of trolls/can’t understand the question/ticked the wrong box and it can safely be written off.

British social attitudes survey has good longitudinal data and asks people if they are prejudiced against other races. The number has been slowly dropping from about 35% to around 25%, and the question is still ambiguous (especially now the woke orthodoxy is to recognise everyone is racially biased), but it’s a pretty good indicator.

And of course, standard disclaimer that this is lower than most countries but of course still not low enough.

Yeah agree on the 4%.

But the 13%? Or 20% of Tory voters? Not good.

shmmeee

Yeah agree on the 4%.

But the 13%? Or 20% of Tory voters? Not good.

Actually better than I’d expect as my baseline assumption is around 20% of the population is racist and most of them probably vote Tory.

But yeah, it’s shitty. Question is how do we drive it lower as the world leader in reducing racism? Tough when there’s no good models to follow.

shmmeee

Just realised which thread I’m in and don’t want to shit this up especially for hill83, so won’t comment on that any more.

NorthernWisdom

All the searches and documentation etc was done on my old place when we bought it. I’ve still got it all saved. Why couldn’t I just hand that to the people buying the house after me? Maybe not the actual checks on the building but the other local area survey shite.
When I bought mine, the solicitor was the same that had been used for the previous purchase. He still had to do the searches from scratch, despite them being in his filing cabinet!

Although tbf, a couple came up with different results...!

hill83

Read this earlier. Not surprised, nothing to say.

Philosorapter

Actually better than I’d expect as my baseline assumption is around 20% of the population is racist and most of them probably vote Tory.

But yeah, it’s shitty. Question is how do we drive it lower as the world leader in reducing racism? Tough when there’s no good models to follow.

I think we need to broaden this a little and look at any form of discrimination in general, with racism being just a part of the ugly bigger picture.

Would you agree with the argument that any councillor or MP through their actions or inactions which had lead to discriminatory acts be it legal or illegal at the time of their public service should pay restitution costs to society by losing their LGA pension?

shmmeee

I think we need to broaden this a little and look at any form of discrimination in general, with racism being just a part of the ugly bigger picture.

Would you agree with the argument that any councillor or MP through their actions or inactions which had lead to discriminatory acts be it legal or illegal at the time of their public service should pay restitution costs to society by losing their LGA pension?

U OK hun?

Philosorapter

... I am shmmeee

Thoroughly confused now. I posted something about the level of racism in the U.K., you asked some weird convoluted question I can barely parse.

You want to try again?

I can ask this all day..

'Would you agree with the argument that any councillor or MP through their actions or inactions which had lead to discriminatory acts be it legal or illegal at the time of their public service should pay restitution costs to society by losing their LGA pension? '

jordan210

Another 15% drop in deaths week to week today. Not sure on test positives as not seen the data for today.
But hopefully a drop from last week would be nice

shmmeee

I can ask this all day..

'Would you agree with the argument that any councillor or MP through their actions or inactions which had lead to discriminatory acts be it legal or illegal at the time of their public service should pay restitution costs to society by losing their LGA pension? '

Do I think someone that doesn’t do something illegal should lose their pension?

No?

Edit, sorry I’ve still misread:

Do I think someone who does something that causes discriminatory acts to happen should lose their pension?

Is that it?

Still no. Terms of employment are terms of employment.

What is this?

CCFCSteve

Another 15% drop in deaths week to week today. Not sure on test positives as not seen the data for today.
But hopefully a drop from last week would be nice

Confirmed cases just under 10k (from 740k tests) down from 12k last Thursday
Vaccinations back to normal 450k first dose and 30k second dose

A decent day

Philosorapter

Do I think someone that doesn’t do something illegal should lose their pension?

No?

Edit, sorry I’ve still misread:

Do I think someone who does something that causes discriminatory acts to happen should lose their pension?

Is that it?

Still no. Terms of employment are terms of employment.

What is this?

Okay Shmmeee, we've finally got the ball rolling.

What about this;

We stop the pensions of the people from the LGA involved in this anyway. We pack out the legal system with people that somehow agree with this position and then wait for them to go through the court system all the way to EHCR and then drag our feet as much as possible when the ECHR rules in the LGA favour. They could be without their pensions for a good 10 years.

This is all very legal.

shmmeee

Okay Shmmeee, we've finally got the ball rolling.

What about this;

We stop the pensions of the people from the LGA involved in this anyway. We pack out the legal system with people that somehow agree with this position and then wait for them to go through the court system all the way to EHCR and then drag our feet as much as possible when the ECHR rules in the LGA favour. They could be without their pensions for a good 10 years.

This is all very legal.

O....K....

What has any of this got to do with the baseline level of racism in the U.K.? Or for that matter, COVID?

Philosorapter

I feel like everyone else when you post the stats graphs now.

It is something that affects all political parties. Some more than others.

On an entirely separate point; Why isn't Starmer 20 points ahead in the polls by now?

shmmeee

It is something that affects all political parties. Some more than others.

On an entirely separate point; Why isn't Starmer 20 points ahead in the polls by now?

Because the government is paying people to stay at home and saving their grannies from COVID?

Or are you one of these that thinks everyone in the country is as obsessed with the minutiae of political debate as you are?

Philosorapter

Because the government is paying people to stay at home and saving their grannies from COVID?

Or are you one of these that thinks everyone in the country is as obsessed with the minutiae of political debate as you are?

It's a question that's not going to go away. Hope it turns around in time for the local elections.

shmmeee

It's a question that's not going to go away. Hope it turns around in time for the local elections.

Its not going to. You realise Labour were 20 points behind when he took over and have been level for a while? You realise his personal ratings are higher than the last couple of leaders at the same point? The fundamentals are strong, you don’t reverse twenty years of distancing yourself from voters in a year, especially a year where everyone’s locked inside, the govt get prime time press conferences daily, are giving people half price Nando’s, letting them WFH or sit off on furlough, and absolutely smashing the vaccine program out of the park.

I wouldn’t expect to see the government behind until next year unless the fuck something massive up about coming out of lockdown. And even then they get a free “it’s a pandemic who knew” pass. And I haven’t even got into Boris’ illness and baby both of which further embed his existing popular appeal.

I can’t state strongly enough how ridiculous what you’re saying is and how far from political reality you are. Twitter isn’t real life. Politics isn’t everyone’s hobby. General elections aren’t won four years before polling day.

CCFCSteve

Is that 730k people who have symptoms but not covid

Yeah, I guess ballpark, although I think there’s always been a question mark over whether the number of tests on the gov website equates to actual people...presume not (as some people might have more than one test)....sure there’s a few false negatives and false positives thrown in there as well !

I’m also not sure if the data includes any of the door to door asymptomatic surge testing they do in specific areas these day.

The number/trend is going in the right direction though !

Philosorapter

I can’t state strongly enough how ridiculous what you’re saying is and how far from political reality you are.

I'm just describing some of the antics of the methodology used by the last Labour Government without going into too much detail.

They were that mad and bad. If you want a detailed account, I am happy to share information on how abusive they were with individual rights.

In fact, laws were needed to be passed through Parliament to stop stuff like this from happening again.

Unfortunately, you can't legislate against the methodology used.

I don't think I will be voting Labour this time around. It is too much of a risk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread