Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Me, the wife & kids went to do our civic duty and got a walk-up test last night.....I was a little hesitant as a +ve test would properly scupper my business & income.....but for the greater good and all that....
3 of our 4 results (all negative) were back within 1/2 hr.....still waiting on my youngest's result so not sure whats happened there....bit of a tech glitch I expect.

So far Liverpool have now done about 90K tests as part of the mass testing pilot.....454 positives to date.

fernandopartridge

Me, the wife & kids went to do our civic duty and got a walk-up test last night.....I was a little hesitant as a +ve test would properly scupper my business & income.....but for the greater good and all that....
3 of our 4 results (all negative) were back within 1/2 hr.....still waiting on my youngest's result so not sure whats happened there....bit of a tech glitch I expect.

So far Liverpool have now done about 90K tests as part of the mass testing pilot.....454 positives to date.

The cases per 100k diminishing as they do more actual tests, interesting but probably the effect of testing more people who are entirely asymptomatic.

tisza

A WFH tax is completely unworkable.

And we want people working from home, why would we discourage it? Less waste, less CO2. I’d rather tax those companies having an office for no good reason TBH.

Just tax Amazon already. We know that’s where the money went
it's a bit ironic. For years Govts, tech etc have been saying the future was more working from home - tech improvements, 5G broadband, better quality of family life, less pressure on transport networks etc. Now it's here they don't like it.

tisza

We're now under curfew 8pm until 5 am unless you have an employers certificate saying you're working or a medical situation. Everything bar pharmacies have to close by 7. Secondary schools upwards closed again - back to online.
Death rate has been higher than UK per 100.000 people.

fernandopartridge

We're now under curfew 8pm until 5 am unless you have an employers certificate saying you're working or a medical situation. Everything bar pharmacies have to close by 7. Secondary schools upwards closed again - back to online.
Death rate has been higher than UK per 100.000 people.

Are smoking rates higher there? I assume so

Kieranp96

First time I've been glad I skimmed through this thread. Just done this, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Is tax relief, tax rebate? I've been at home Since the start working and only been on 80% wage for full time work, so if I'm able to claim tax back might actually make up. The money I lost from being paid less.

TomRad85

Is tax relief, tax rebate? I've been at home Since the start working and only been on 80% wage for full time work, so if I'm able to claim tax back might actually make up. The money I lost from being paid less.
Tax relief. Its not much mate but it'll cover your monthly phone bill or something.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

because you are not paying VAT in and supporting smaller city centre businesses.

But then isn't private enterprise supposed to be about adapting to change better and those that do thrive and take the place of those that don't?

For example, if you're not supporting smaller city centre businesses (even though many offices etc are now out-of-town business parks and city centres are largely full of chain outlets) you could instead be supporting businesses on your local high st by getting lunch etc from shops near your house. Unneeded commercial property etc could be replaced with housing/apartments which we know are undersupplied. This allows city centre to reimagine themelves as areas people live in again with greater access to things like entertainment on the doorstep. It could rejuvenate them massively and make them quite desirable.

There's huge potential and opportunities in making the change.

Johnnythespider

If you've been working from home why are you only being paid 80% pay

Kieranp96

If you've been working from home why are you only being paid 80% pay
Idk, got a email back in March about it, was either that or to be let go, I know which one I'm choosing + there's an actual article in the paper about it was suppose to Rise to 90% this month but with furlough being extended I doubt it.

Ian1779

Our school have put 40% of the school population out on a 2 week ‘firebreak’ on the advice of PHE, because we have had a cluster of cases (11 confirmed positive so far with more waiting for results) across 2 years group that can be directly traced to one another.

We have 565 kids out of school because of coronavirus currently.

NorthernWisdom

Our school have put 40% of the school population out on a 2 week ‘firebreak’ on the advice of PHE, because we have had a cluster of cases (11 confirmed positive so far with more waiting for results) across 2 years group that can be directly traced to one another.

We have 565 kids out of school because of coronavirus currently.
You would know better than I, but that sounds harder to administer, and less fair to pupils, than sending everybody home for a lockdown.

Johnnythespider

They sent years 5&6 home from my wife's school the other day as one of the kids in 6 tested positive, year 5 were back the next day, the council advised sending home only those children who had been within 2 meters of the infected child, the way this is being handled and the pressure being put on teachers to minimise the numbers off school doesn't fill me with confidence that my wife isn't being placed in unnecessary risk.

wingy

They sent years 5&6 home from my wife's school the other day as one of the kids in 6 tested positive, year 5 were back the next day, the council advised sending home only those children who had been within 2 meters of the infected child, the way this is being handled and the pressure being put on teachers to minimise the numbers off school doesn't fill me with confidence that my wife isn't being placed in unnecessary risk.
The responses seem to have been watered down from the heavily publicised reactions bandied about during the summer .
Much watering down IMO .

Sky Blue Pete

USA in a really bad way and places like Poland Ukraine and Hungary for the first time

So excited to see anti Vaxers praising trump by getting the vaccine quick smart

Ian1779

You would know better than I, but that sounds harder to administer, and less fair to pupils, than sending everybody home for a lockdown.
There is certainly an unfairness to it all no doubt. The whole of Year 11 have been placed out until the 27th November - but nearly all of them have already been out for self isolating since mid October. That’s the year group that has the biggest cluster of cases and they all link together.
It’s now time to stop pretending that exams can be delivered to them next summer in the normal way.

Grendel

There is certainly an unfairness to it all no doubt. The whole of Year 11 have been placed out until the 27th November - but nearly all of them have already been out for self isolating since mid October. That’s the year group that has the biggest cluster of cases and they all link together.
It’s now time to stop pretending that exams can be delivered to them next summer in the normal way.

Can’t they have exams delayed until September and then delay university start times?

Ian1779

Can’t they have exams delayed until September and then delay university start times?
I think they should try and find a way to get exams for A Levels on - they are more important for next life stages. Given 6th formers have a much narrower spread of subjects and would in general be more likely to engage with remote learning I think this could be a way going forward as the impact of time it of school would be less severe IMO.

Ian1779

That's the thing I am finding really odd about the whole thing, the assumption that everything needs to fit into conventional arbitrary timetables.
I get the point - but these timelines are generally embedded in the entire education system from early years to Uni. Making a change to the overall timeline is possible, but needs a level of skill and planning that is non-existent based on the evidence we have seen so far.

Users who are viewing this thread