Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Looks like Chaplin/Hiwula/Andreu with JCH/Bakayoko then.

Is he going to be happy fighting for once place in three?

cc84cov

Looks like Chaplin/Hiwula/Andreu with JCH/Bakayoko then.

Is he going to be happy fighting for once place in three?
If he signs we will Be 2 up top no chance we play 1 up front and no chance robins still chasing him to sit on the bench like he already is.

Nonleagueherewecome

Reckon he'll start on the bench and keep Andreu in the "hole" behind JCH, assuming JCH is fit after his knock Saturday. Chaplin will need to build up his fitness I guess? And we should have learnt about just chucking new signings in by now!

Gint11

You want players fighting for spots, hopefully make them play for the shirt.
Been on the Pompey forum and they don’t like the fact he asked to sit out at the weekend and now want rid. To be fair I know that doesn’t account for the whole fanbase.

They rate him, they know that much and also admit he has never had a long enough run in the team to rate him properly. But the criticism of him now is just sourness at how he’s ‘handling the situation’

AFCCOVENTRY

Reckon he'll start on the bench and keep Andreu in the "hole" behind JCH, assuming JCH is fit after his knock Saturday. Chaplin will need to build up his fitness I guess? And we should have learnt about just chucking new signings in by now!

He had a full pre season with Pompey and scored a fair few. Will need some time to integrate with the squad.

Londonccfcfan

I think he’d be a good signing and I think he’s a finisher

There's no doubt about that. Always telling when fans really rate him and manager/club reluctant to sell.

Robins has stated one or two have to be shipped out to make this happen.

Hope we keep JP deserves a good few games and a run in the team.

Londonccfcfan

Agree will come on as impact sub first. Be happy to rotate Andreu/JCH/Hiwula/JP
Chaplin will bring the best out of the others. But for now...Andreu/JCH deserve a start.

cc84cov

Dunno how their fans can moan tbh he’s in the last year of his contract hes not getting a game he’s kept quiet all pre season and got his head down now he knows he hasn’t no choice but to move he’s been forced out by Kenny Jacket if they don’t like it blame Jacket Chaplin never wanted to leave big difference.

Sky_Blue_Ste

He's only 5'6" (McNulty was 5'10", Bakayoko is 6'4") and does not have a prolific goal scoring record (22 in 104 according to Wikipedia).
Most of those goals were scored in L2 not L1.
At 5'6" I hope he won't be playing as our lone striker.
Another 'striker' shoved onto the wing?
I've never seen him play but I'm not seeing anything to suggest he can replace McNulty.
He does at least have youth on his side (he's 21).

The season that McNulty play for Pompey, Chaplin scored one goal less than McNulty.

Of those 104 appearance, the majority have been as sub (74 sub appearances) for 5 minutes etc. In many, much like JP is getting currently. His goal tally is from 30 odd starts.

I think he’ll be played similarly to McNulty last season.

1234CCFC

After continually keeping tabs on this thread for the past 62 pages my hope is back that this signing may actually happen! Part of me will be slightly disappointed if we can't reach the 100 mark (hopefully us talking about his continued scoring will keep the thread alive.......)

Robin Fisher

The noises from this end is that Chaplin will be gone from Pompey this week. Some supporters seem to be upset that he 'refused' to be in the squad because he didn't 'feel he was in the right place in his head'. Personally I think that most Pompey supporters sympathise with him but still don't want him to leave, this is the group I belong to. Fanatical supporters of any club seem to think that players playing for their club should be just as fanatical as they are. Conor Chaplin is both a Pompey fan and professional footballer and the professional footballer in him is driving this move because if he can't ply his trade for his favoured club he must move on to somewhere he can show his talent. Most reasonably minded people can see that is the right thing for him to do because at 21 he could become a wasted talent which would be such a shame. When he packs up profesional football he can come and watch his favourite team from the terraces like he did before. Your manager has chased Chaplin for some time which will make your club favourites to sign him as the player knows he is really wanted at your club. Mr Robbins is no idiot and he will, no doubt, know that Chaplin is no lone striker and will need to be in a striking partnership to bring out the best in him. He is not unlike McNulty but not identical. I think Chaplin has far more pace and can score from all different angles but I think McNulty has a better footballing brain and will see passes better by bringing in other forward players than Chaplin. I think Chaplin will develop into a Tony Cotee (for those old enough to remember him) sort of player but he needs to stamp out his ridicules diving.

itsabuzzard

Dunno how their fans can moan tbh he’s in the last year of his contract hes not getting a game he’s kept quiet all pre season and got his head down now he knows he hasn’t no choice but to move he’s been forced out by Kenny Jacket if they don’t like it blame Jacket Chaplin never wanted to leave big difference.
That's the longest sentence I've ever read on SBT, and not a comma to be seen. No mean feat to read that out aloud in one breath.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Nonleagueherewecome

I think Chaplin will develop into a Tony Cotee (for those old enough to remember him) sort of player but he needs to stamp out his ridicules diving.
Awesome, just put Cottee up on the CM97 DB. Shooting 16 wasn't enough, 18 for me. Goalscorer.

GaryJones

The noises from this end is that Chaplin will be gone from Pompey this week. Some supporters seem to be upset that he 'refused' to be in the squad because he didn't 'feel he was in the right place in his head'. Personally I think that most Pompey supporters sympathise with him but still don't want him to leave, this is the group I belong to. Fanatical supporters of any club seem to think that players playing for their club should be just as fanatical as they are. Conor Chaplin is both a Pompey fan and professional footballer and the professional footballer in him is driving this move because if he can't ply his trade for his favoured club he must move on to somewhere he can show his talent. Most reasonably minded people can see that is the right thing for him to do because at 21 he could become a wasted talent which would be such a shame. When he packs up profesional football he can come and watch his favourite team from the terraces like he did before. Your manager has chased Chaplin for some time which will make your club favourites to sign him as the player knows he is really wanted at your club. Mr Robbins is no idiot and he will, no doubt, know that Chaplin is no lone striker and will need to be in a striking partnership to bring out the best in him. He is not unlike McNulty but not identical. I think Chaplin has far more pace and can score from all different angles but I think McNulty has a better footballing brain and will see passes better by bringing in other forward players than Chaplin. I think Chaplin will develop into a Tony Cotee (for those old enough to remember him) sort of player but he needs to stamp out his ridicules diving.
I assume you mean ridiculous diving?
Triple Salchow (Selco) with Pike anyone!
Id be impressed if Chaplin could pull of a 3 and a half somersaults with a half twist in the penalty area thats for sure!

Cov kid 55

Thanks Robin, an interesting and informative post.

Users who are viewing this thread