Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (8 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

Hoping we get Chaplin in early this week but no doubt we will be waiting till the very last minute waiting on Pompey to get a player in first.
In the news today that QPR are willing to let Pompey target Smyth (forward) go out on loan to give him game time. Hopefully this will pave the way for Chaplin. Hoping too it will happen before McLaren is sacked!

SkyBlueCRJ

Although if he knows about the system we are trying to play he might choose Barnsley

If he's payed any attention to our system he definitely may think twice knowing he'll probably be deployed as a winger at yet another club. You never know if he's not careful he could end up being unveiled as our new domineering CB if MR and AV seriously lose the plot.

cc84cov

If he's payed any attention to our system he definitely may think twice knowing he'll probably be deployed as a winger at yet another club. You never know if he's not careful he could end up being unveiled as our new domineering CB if MR and AV seriously lose the plot.
Sweeper :)

Westendlad

He can hardly say he hasn’t been backed!?! This squad is his. Bar the academy products, who have all signed new contracts under him so are also effectively his signings, he’s spent on wages and players - if he was to have a grumble at anyone it would have to be the recruitment guys, who I don’t think he likes very much but that’s based on very little intel, just a guy feeling
Yeah backed but perhaps not enough to make that comment. Anyone know how much we've received over the summer from MM and Madison sell on and how much we've spent ( roughly ) ?

shmmeee

Yeah backed but perhaps not enough to make that comment. Anyone know how much we've received over the summer from MM and Madison sell on and how much we've spent ( roughly ) ?

Total ballpark figures but it's about £3m in £1m out purely in fees and likely signing on bonuses. Then there's wages to consider, which will have raised across the board.

Rasputin

Never seen Chaplin play. MR seems fixated on him. I hope he does sign, I hope MR is right and I hope the next time we hit 26 shots he is the answer and he gets a brace.
I am liking the idea of Jones, Thomas, Andreu, Allassani featuring at different times and feeding the likes of JCH and Chaplin (if he signs)
MR’s comments about top end of the budget means I would hope that JP gets to go out on loan. The lad needs to play regularly, as in matches one after the other. Not 5 - 10 mins here and there.

Westendlad

Never seen Chaplin play. MR seems fixated on him. I hope he does sign, I hope MR is right and I hope the next time we hit 26 shots he is the answer and he gets a brace.
I am liking the idea of Jones, Thomas, Andreu, Allassani featuring at different times and feeding the likes of JCH and Chaplin (if he signs)
MR’s comments about top end of the budget means I would hope that JP gets to go out on loan. The lad needs to play regularly, as in matches one after the other. Not 5 - 10 mins here and there.
Window is shut isn't it ?? Only loans until Jan.

Rasputin

Window is shut isn't it ?? Only loans until Jan.
Yes I am hoping Chaplin comes in on one of those loans till January with a “view” to a permanent signing. When in reality it is you have made an agreement that you “are” signing them in January.
Also hope JP then gets a loan somewhere till January so he plays every week and develops I think he is an instinctive striker. I think he he gets a manager who believes in him I think he could be a great player.

Last edited:

slyblue57

Total ballpark figures but it's about £3m in £1m out purely in fees and likely signing on bonuses. Then there's wages to consider, which will have raised across the board.
Did we not also get money for Ben Stephenson ? Who knows how much but I m sure it was reported between £250000 - £500000

Gazolba

He's only 5'6" (McNulty was 5'10", Bakayoko is 6'4") and does not have a prolific goal scoring record (22 in 104 according to Wikipedia).
Most of those goals were scored in L2 not L1.
At 5'6" I hope he won't be playing as our lone striker.
Another 'striker' shoved onto the wing?
I've never seen him play but I'm not seeing anything to suggest he can replace McNulty.
He does at least have youth on his side (he's 21).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread