Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (4 Viewers)

Hobo

I still reckon there’s a good chance Chaplin will kick-off next week a Cov player, Portsmouth need the money and Jackett doesn’t see Chaplin as a main striker for his team and his system of play. I don’t think Pompey can afford to allow him to run his contract down and move for nothing or a much smaller tribunal fee next year.

Portsmouth/Jackett are realising they are better sticking rather than twisting. Chaplin seems happy at the club as long as he gets a fair shot at first team football. He is certainly staking a claim preseason suggesting he is happy rather than discontented.

Why do Portsmouth need the money? Their target has gone and Chaplin might be proving to be better than their second option.

Limey

Portsmouth/Jackett are realising they are better sticking rather than twisting. Chaplin seems happy at the club as long as he gets a fair shot at first team football. He is certainly staking a claim preseason suggesting he is happy rather than discontented.

Why do Portsmouth need the money? Their target has gone and Chaplin might be proving to be better than their second option.

He seemed to fit the mould in terms of like-for-like for McNulty.
Gut feeling is player doesn't really want to move.
Move on.

hopesprings

But o
Its a lame answer as he will make errors - I doubt when he scribes his memoirs he will recall the day he offered Stuart Beavon an improved and extended contract.
Of course to balance that he may well have the wonderful thoughts of the day he bought Max Biamou and turned him into a French international who went on to score the winning goal in the European Final in 2020 :):joyful::joyful:

Malaka

Chaplin wants to come to us but his hands are tied. Needs a new start, and regular football. Been told he is a great lad with bags of potential, a hard trainer and is either outstanding or goes missing. Hopefully that will come with regular games. Always starts pre-season on fire but then goes quiet.

Hobo

Chaplin wants to come to us but his hands are tied. Needs a new start, and regular football. Been told he is a great lad with bags of potential, a hard trainer and is either outstanding or goes missing. Hopefully that will come with regular games. Always starts pre-season on fire but then goes quiet.

Why is his hands tied? If he wants away he can say to Jackett I want a move to Coventry and I don't want to play for Portsmouth, in fact I won't.

Seems to me he is happy fighting for his place until they succeed in bringing a new striker in. To me a good attitude. Chaplin's first choice is obviously Portsmouth.

Robin Fisher

To be fair I don't think they are as skint as us they've sold over 18,000 season tickets.
That's not quite right. Pompey have sold just under 14500 season tickets. The club is not skint but is being run a sustainable budget but we have a mill stone which is Fratton Park itself. The ground is quite possibly the most atmospheric ground in the country, certainly outside of the Premiership. It can be the most wonderful place to stage a football match, especially a night time match under the lights. With the crowd at full tilt it can be one the most intimidating football stadiums anywhere, just ask Southampton or AC Milan. We played Arsenal once and one of their directors once said "we don't want any of their (Pompey) players but can we buy their crowd" and Jose Mourinho complained that Manchester United support at Old Trafford are just not Portsmouth at Fratton Park. The thing is that Fratton Park is a sinkhole for money and the reason why the Pompey Supporters Trust had to sell the club to a rich American. The place is crumbling around us but the yanks want to save the ground and retain it's special feature but that is where the money is going. They want to build the infrastructure so that the club is on a sound footing before we become successful. So not broke but prudent with money.

Gazolba

We aren't going to get him.
We'll start the season with JCH, Biamou and Ponticelli.

coop

That's not quite right. Pompey have sold just under 14500 season tickets. The club is not skint but is being run a sustainable budget but we have a mill stone which is Fratton Park itself. The ground is quite possibly the most atmospheric ground in the country, certainly outside of the Premiership. It can be the most wonderful place to stage a football match, especially a night time match under the lights. With the crowd at full tilt it can be one the most intimidating football stadiums anywhere, just ask Southampton or AC Milan. We played Arsenal once and one of their directors once said "we don't want any of their (Pompey) players but can we buy their crowd" and Jose Mourinho complained that Manchester United support at Old Trafford are just not Portsmouth at Fratton Park. The thing is that Fratton Park is a sinkhole for money and the reason why the Pompey Supporters Trust had to sell the club to a rich American. The place is crumbling around us but the yanks want to save the ground and retain it's special feature but that is where the money is going. They want to build the infrastructure so that the club is on a sound footing before we become successful. So not broke but prudent with money.
I've just corrected it to 14,000.

AVWskyblue

I still reckon there’s a good chance Chaplin will kick-off next week a Cov player, Portsmouth need the money and Jackett doesn’t see Chaplin as a main striker for his team and his system of play. I don’t think Pompey can afford to allow him to run his contract down and move for nothing or a much smaller tribunal fee next year.
So why does Jacket keep playing him? If he were to get injured any deal would be off

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Magwitch

Because he is their player, for now. It’s just a hunch I have. I also think signing Chaplin will dictate other signings, Robins says he wants three more I think one will be a keeper and two strikers who compliment each other

ceetee

Because he is their player, for now. It’s just a hunch I have. I also think signing Chaplin will dictate other signings, Robins says he wants three more I think one will be a keeper and two strikers who compliment each other
So if he wants two more strikers why did he sign JCH?

Malaka

Why is his hands tied? If he wants away he can say to Jackett I want a move to Coventry and I don't want to play for Portsmouth, in fact I won't.

Seems to me he is happy fighting for his place until they succeed in bringing a new striker in. To me a good attitude. Chaplin's first choice is obviously Portsmouth.
Portsmouth is all he has ever known, probably doesn't want to piss people off

Magwitch

So if he wants two more strikers why did he sign JCH?
One thing with Robins I think if he thinks there’s a better player to be had than what he has he’ll get him if he can, doesn’t seem to be sentimental about that, of all his latest signings most are quite young 20/21 so very much for the future. JCH will have to earn a place as all will have to do, I like that also

sylus

I could be wrong here,i probably am,but this Chaplin thing just isn't sitting right with me,we are interested in him joining us i get that,Portsmouth want another striker in before releasing him,i get that, we have money,not a lot i might add,but we have some from the McNulty sale,so that with what MR stated today,
Asked if he has money to spend in his quest for a new goal scorer, Robin's said: “I haven’t got millions, trust me.”

When quizzed about the money from McNulty and Maddison and whether he will see any of it, he added: “We’ll have to wait and see but the idea is that what we have to do is try to find someone who we can develop.

i take it that MR has got very little if any of the McNulty money and is going cap in hand to Portsmouth for a possible loan move for Chaplin,they won't let him go until they have a replacement,Maybe why it is taking so long,otherwise why not just offer a fee, a fee that Portsmouth cannot refuse. it is just a theory

Nick

Administrator
Where have you heard he is trying for a loan, or just reading into the telegraph article?

What makes you think a fee hasn't been offered?

sylus

Where have you heard he is trying for a loan, or just reading into the telegraph article?

What makes you think a fee hasn't been offered?

Don't know, just a hunch...if you haven't got cash to spend then your next move will be a loan move.Sure MR could have offered a cash deal for Chaplin,saying that,he may not of also.

skyblueelephant76

I took it that when he says he has to develop someone it just means that they will go for a younger player that will have a future resale value because that is the model the club is running on. They are not going to pay money for someone like Eoin Doyle who they won't get any return on.

Based on Robins comments at the weekend I would say a fee was agreed for Chaplin a while ago now but it is all down to Portsmouth delaying it to get someone else in. If he is the player Robins wants then it made sense to wait initially but a line needs to be drawn under it soon.

Hobo

So you are saying he is scared of moving and being a first choice striker? That is bollocks. He has his head down for a Portsmouth shirt.

higgs

Don't know, just a hunch...if you haven't got cash to spend then your next move will be a loan move.Sure MR could have offered a cash deal for Chaplin,saying that,he may not of also.
Why would they loan him out in the last year of his contract?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

junglej13

Stockley is?
Amongst other clubs. When the season ended he would have been one of my top targets. Was very impressed with him last season. Unfortunately I think hes too similar to JCH and Biamou though so cant see there being any truth in him being at Ryton.

Terry_dactyl

To be fair I don't think they are as skint as us they've sold over 18,000 season tickets.
Have they? My understanding is that season tickets are down.
However, I pretty much agree. Their owner, while saying he isn’t going to plough lots of money into the club, clearly wants them to challenge and has the resources to make this happen.
Plus they own their own ground, get big gates etc.

AVWskyblue

Your right in one respect, maybe he already knows if he regularly puts a shift in,, then the support of the Sky blue army will lift the lad. As well as Mr encouragement as an ex striker can

AVWskyblue

One thing with Robins I think if he thinks there’s a better player to be had than what he has he’ll get him if he can, doesn’t seem to be sentimental about that, of all his latest signings most are quite young 20/21 so very much for the future. JCH will have to earn a place as all will have to do, I like that also
And if he listened to MR advice and buckles down he may well come good

Hobo

I could be wrong here,i probably am,but this Chaplin thing just isn't sitting right with me,we are interested in him joining us i get that,Portsmouth want another striker in before releasing him,i get that, we have money,not a lot i might add,but we have some from the McNulty sale,so that with what MR stated today,
Asked if he has money to spend in his quest for a new goal scorer, Robin's said: “I haven’t got millions, trust me.”

When quizzed about the money from McNulty and Maddison and whether he will see any of it, he added: “We’ll have to wait and see but the idea is that what we have to do is try to find someone who we can develop.

i take it that MR has got very little if any of the McNulty money and is going cap in hand to Portsmouth for a possible loan move for Chaplin,they won't let him go until they have a replacement,Maybe why it is taking so long,otherwise why not just offer a fee, a fee that Portsmouth cannot refuse. it is just a theory

No I think he is trying to sign Chaplin. Most the transfer out fees go towards running costs, agents fees and wages. The loans are a back up for when you don't get your deals across the line in the transfer window.

One option if Portsmouth sign someone late in window, could be to loan Chaplin with an agreement to sign in January.

Users who are viewing this thread