Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (14 Viewers)

Robin Fisher

On a day where the game is rearranged due to fixture clash.

Portsmouth, Chaplin, fixture clash.....perfect storm
I can imagine what you would feel like if that was to happen. Coventry supporters will be extremely cheesed off if Chaplin becomes the League 1 leading scorer and scores against you and then kiss the Pompey badge. I think Chaplin would do that too because he is a cocky little sod and he needs to mature a bit more. His acting is atrocious when it comes to diving and he needs to cut it out. Have you noticed how players come to your club, or any club, well versed in PR. They will say something like "I have played here before and the fans are something else and now they will be on my side and I can't wait to get cracking. As soon as I heard Coventry/Pompey/Any FC were interested in signing me it was a no brainer I was always going to come here". What a load of waffle. What they should say is "Coventry/Pompey/Any FC said they would pay me £xxx which is more than I was on at Coventry/Pompey/Any FC and more than the other herberts who showed interest. I have played here before but to be honest I can't remember much about it". There are a few exceptions, of course, and Chaplins boyhood dream was to play for the club he supported but his ambition as a professional footballer may well see him saying something like I have just mentioned, perhaps with Coventry City.

Covkid1968#

I can imagine what you would feel like if that was to happen. Coventry supporters will be extremely cheesed off if Chaplin becomes the League 1 leading scorer and scores against you and then kiss the Pompey badge. I think Chaplin would do that too because he is a cocky little sod and he needs to mature a bit more. His acting is atrocious when it comes to diving and he needs to cut it out. Have you noticed how players come to your club, or any club, well versed in PR. They will say something like "I have played here before and the fans are something else and now they will be on my side and I can't wait to get cracking. As soon as I heard Coventry/Pompey/Any FC were interested in signing me it was a no brainer I was always going to come here". What a load of waffle. What they should say is "Coventry/Pompey/Any FC said they would pay me £xxx which is more than I was on at Coventry/Pompey/Any FC and more than the other herberts who showed interest. I have played here before but to be honest I can't remember much about it". There are a few exceptions, of course, and Chaplins boyhood dream was to play for the club he supported but his ambition as a professional footballer may well see him saying something like I have just mentioned, perhaps with Coventry City.

Bang on the money......makes me feel less love for the game

NorthernWisdom

Robbie Keane being a prime example of saying the club he was joining was his favourite boyhood team. Celtic was probably the only club where he genuinely had a strong affection for. Certainly not LA Galaxy !
Does allow us to wheel this photo out again, mind!

David%20Beckham%20and%20actor%20Russell%20Brand%20pose%20for%20a%20photo%20with%20unidentified%20fans

Grendel

Keep reading, you can make it to the end champ.

None then.

You seem to suggest Reid which is bizarre and totally different

Warwickhunt

Imagine if he doesn't sign and scores against us and kisses the badge
not the old rusty Sherrifs Badge i hope:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

JimmyHillsbeard

Robbie Keane being a prime example of saying the club he was joining was his favourite boyhood team. Celtic was probably the only club where he genuinely had a strong affection for. Certainly not LA Galaxy !

Now I loved having Keane at City and he was always nice abt the club once he left but what really got my goat was the fawning admiration he got from our fans for “not celebrating” the two goals he scored for Spurs against us at HR in the Fizzy Pop Cup a few years ago.

Presumably no-one noticed the cartwheel, forward roll, and bow and arrow shot he took when scoring the winner for Leeds against us at Elland Road the year we went down! Personally I’ve no problem with him celebrating scoring for his new employers (or the club he was on loan with) against his old ones but the showy, non-celebration, celebration is still a showy celebration.

Cavan O'Doherty

When quizzed about the money from McNulty and Maddison and whether he will see any of it, he added: “We’ll have to wait and see but the idea is that what we have to do is try to find someone who we can develop.

That’s a worrying quote.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

When quizzed about the money from McNulty and Maddison and whether he will see any of it, he added: “We’ll have to wait and see but the idea is that what we have to do is try to find someone who we can develop.

That’s a worrying quote.

But again would he say “yeah I’ve got £1.5 million to spend”

I’d rather he kept his funds low profile so he’s not paying over the odd for his targets

NorthernWisdom

That’s a worrying quote.
I'd rather that than a has-been mind you.

'Develop' can apply to a free transfer or a £million pound Eisa (not that I'm expecting the latter!).

steve cooper

That’s a worrying quote.
He certainly won't want other managers to know how much he has to spend

CCFC_Charlie

Is anyone actually surprised that our owners have sold our top scorer as well as getting £3-4m in windfall but aren't willing to spend to bring in a replacement? It's the same old story as it always has been under SISU. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple of loans before the end of the window and be done with it.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Is anyone actually surprised that our owners have sold our top scorer as well as getting £3-4m in windfall but aren't willing to spend to bring in a replacement? It's the same old story as it always has been under SISU. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple of loans before the end of the window and be done with it.
Multiple players have signed new contracts, we’ve had bonuses paid out on top of the 9 signings we’ve made.

We’ve got a manager who has left before as he couldn’t ge assurances, the club loses money year in year out, I’m sure the money is running the club. We already know the club runs at break even.

You can’t expect the owners to throw money in, and we’ve learnt that’s the case anyway.

The “owners” didn’t sell McNulty, his agent threw a hissy fit, and Robins decides we got a good deal. Trust in MR

Grendel

It amuses me that so many think they are more knowledgeable than MR !

Its a lame answer as he will make errors - I doubt when he scribes his memoirs he will recall the day he offered Stuart Beavon an improved and extended contract.

SkyBlueCRJ

Exactly. Until the end of the financial year we have no idea how much it costs us to break even. With player wages up, MR and AV on improved contracts, new commercial appointments, signing a new contract at the academy, plus bonuses across the whole of the club for getting up to League One there is inevitably going to be a cost attached to promotion - just as there is a financial gain. So, as a result of this who's to say the Maddison money alone even covered the clubs' operating costs this season?

Plus, MR was never going to be given 100% of the McNulty transfer fee. Most clubs/owners don't grant managers such a luxury so why would ours?

Not sure what the CT are trying to do by quoting all these figures when in reality they have zero idea of what income the club received from JM or MM, but to me it's just one way to rile up the fans. Shoddy journalism and shocking click bait.

GaryJones

Whatever happens its critical that we get striker to replace McNulty if we can.
We all know it and Mark Robins knows it.
I trust he will get this sorted - sooner rather than later!
I like to think that we might already have that replacement in the squad with Ponticelli if we cant get anyone in - who knows!

steve cooper

Nowhere does Robins say he's got no money to spend. He said he hasn't got 'millions' which is realistic.

The CT have made a load of assertions in their story which aren't factual. Usual clickbait shite from them to be lapped up by those who like it cos it fits their paradigm.
I don't think I've got one of those

sylus

I would like to think that MR would have the majority of the transfer fee from the McNulty sale,especially when he got jack sh't from the Maddison deal.

I am sure MR is trying damn hard to get a striker in,it may still be Chaplin who knows,but if it isn't going to happen then its time move on and look elsewhere,the seaon is just around the corner and we are without our star man and we haven't replaced him yet..worried no! but concerned.

junglej13

Journo who first reported Pompeys interest in the two Wigan players now saying they may have cooled their interest due to the wages the players are on at Wigan.

Magwitch

I still reckon there’s a good chance Chaplin will kick-off next week a Cov player, Portsmouth need the money and Jackett doesn’t see Chaplin as a main striker for his team and his system of play. I don’t think Pompey can afford to allow him to run his contract down and move for nothing or a much smaller tribunal fee next year.

BackRoomRummermill

We are still an attractive league club to come to so I don’t expect any issue getting someone of quality for L1 coming , no doubt Robins has his eye on two or three , no need to be concerned as they will be revealed by next Wednesday!

coop

I still reckon there’s a good chance Chaplin will kick-off next week a Cov player, Portsmouth need the money and Jackett doesn’t see Chaplin as a main striker for his team and his system of play. I don’t think Pompey can afford to allow him to run his contract down and move for nothing or a much smaller tribunal fee next year.
To be fair I don't think they are as skint as us they've sold over 18,000 season tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread