Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (1 Viewer)

Ricketts

Allegedly (according to the last 48 pages anyway) he wanted to come to us to get first team action.

The more strikers we have, the lesser his chances of a start.

Hobo

What are you on about?

I have never talked about Jackett or his negotiating strategy.

You obviously aren't in the expert bracket. As it is a sarcastic comment not applying to you you should be happy

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You obviously aren't in the expert bracket. As it is a sarcastic comment not applying to you you should be happy

I was just querying why he thought I was praising Jackett for his negotiating tactics.

The guy had a problem reading my posts and confused my concern for the striker situation as something else I think.

Nonleagueherewecome

Shamefully, we’ve all done this cheat at least once in our FM lives...

... Danny Ireland made a great reserve GK for Man City...
Was annoying when they brought in sensible boards that blocked moves for being "not worth the money"!

Even better, I'm playing the mid 90's ones again where you can sign players for free: just bid double their value, the board accepts, then go back to negotiate, reduce the fee to 0 and press "cancel". The bid will remain as accepted but the total adjusts to 0! Used to abuse that to high heaven as a teenager. Whereas I don't use it when I play now cos that's "cheating". Which might suggest that I have grown up, but obviously not that much as I'm playing mid 90's Champ Man still....

Nonleagueherewecome

Fun fact: I had jokingly put a 10p bet with my mate that he’d get injured that game...

My PE teacher, a sister of an ex-academy player back then knew Danny Ireland quite well. Apparently that injury messed him up big time.
Met his dad once as he came into my workplace to do something. Got a bit over-excited at meeting the dad of our potential future star GK, which took him aback somewhat. He seemed a bit incredulous that I thought he might be a decent prospect, muttered about him "having a few problems settling" and his facial expressions and body language seemed to suggest that he actually thought he was a bit crap himself, rather than having any realistic chance of making it with us...

Nick

Administrator
All hail Mr Panda. I'm literally bamboo-zled by his knowledge (not literally).

Cant believe my North East post was completely ignored :(

giphy.gif

Grendel

Liquid Gold

“Looks like a game of poker time.
If Pompey do sign a new striker KJ has already played his hand, other clubs will know he needs to unload chappers and they will not be offering top dollar for him unless they are desperate.

Would have been better to have let him go near the start of the window”

From Pompey forum

GaryJones

Got this sneaky feeling that we might actually sign him now - fuck - that means this thread could go on and on (maybe even 100 pages!).

Mucca Mad Boys

Got this sneaky feeling that we might actually sign him now - fuck - that means this thread could go on and on (maybe even 100 pages!).

It would a brilliant bluff if we end up signing him. I stated earlier on that Jackett was playing a dangerous game whether it be this window or next when we made our move. Jackett made the mistake of making it public Chaplin wasn’t a first choice and at the same time not letting him go. He was ending up with an unhappy player either way.

By stalling us, it forced us to act and it looks like Jackett could end up with cold feet as a result of said tactics. In this case, Chaplin was not a first choice option and because of this, it would’ve been better to sell up and work with what you’ve got.

Perryccfc

Just briefly listened to their forum from tonight and Jackett basically said that a move was not imminent and in his opinion was unlikely. Fan was not happy at the prospect of him potentially leaving.

Their Chief Exec also repeatedly stated that clubs know Cov are sat on a load of money after the McNulty sale, made it sound like he was potentially holding us to ransom almost. Making a point of the market for strikers is highly inflated at the minute and with clubs like Peterborough and Coventry sitting on a ton of money it only inflates it more.

Nick

Administrator
Just briefly listened to their forum from tonight and Jackett basically said that a move was not imminent and in his opinion was unlikely. Fan was not happy at the prospect of him potentially leaving.

Their Chief Exec also repeatedly stated that clubs know Cov are sat on a load of money after the McNulty sale, made it sound like he was potentially holding us to ransom almost. Making a point of the market for strikers is highly inflated at the minute and with clubs like Peterborough and Coventry sitting on a ton of money it only inflates it more.

If a move isnt happening, why did he come out today to tell the press he wants to move...

Perryccfc

Only repeating what was said. Although there’s a lot of difference between a player wanting to move and a manager thinking it’s unlikely...

Reactions: vow

chiefdave

If a move isnt happening, why did he come out today to tell the press he wants to move...
They sound increasingly desperate and if the chief exec is expecting to get anything like what we got for McNulty his in dreamland. Claim you don't want to sell while slipping out stories the player wants to leave, all sounds designed to push the price up but they don't seem to have anyone else to get in a bidding war.

Another year of not being picked and he'll walk away for nothing next summer as his contract is up.

Magwitch

I said right early on in this saga we have the whip hand and still have imo that’s if we still want him. Fee was supposedly agreed, player wants out, apparently wants us too, Jackett, doesn’t see him as a regular, into the final year of his contract, Pompey need the money and likely to lose him for a lot less in January or at the end of the season. We have now bought a striker but according to Robins want another, is Jordy Hiwula another option or was he always the other striker ? still think Robins would like Chaplin but can now be patient

hill83

This is a football forum, remember.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

SOZ M8 EYE w1LL LEev IT FR0M Nw oN

All joking aside, I don't care if it's a football forum or not, I like taking the piss out of people who can't write properly and by extension probably can't speak properly.

Frees Peach and all that

Edit: Even then if only when people say 'of' instead of 'have' really winds me up for some reason.

Last edited:

robbiethemole

SOZ M8 EYE w1LL LEev IT FR0M Nw oN

All joking aside, I don't care if it's a football forum or not, I like taking the piss out of people who can't write properly and by extension probably can't speak properly.

Frees Peach and all that

Edit: Even then if only when people say 'of' instead of 'have' really winds me up for some reason.

Just stop now, you're only trying to get this non-event thread up to 50 pages, I know your tactics. (all properly punctuated)

smileycov

Facebook User
Only repeating what was said. Although there’s a lot of difference between a player wanting to move and a manager thinking it’s unlikely...
I think the point was, KJ is the one saying Chaplin wants out, now they are saying a move is unlikely?? Bizzare

Nick

Administrator
I think the point was, KJ is the one saying Chaplin wants out, now they are saying a move is unlikely?? Bizzare

Yeah that's what confused me.

It seems like he is shitting himself now we have brought another striker in. Once he has openly said that the player doesn't want to be there it makes it difficult for him to stay surely?

All it means is that everybody thought we were dependant on Pompey and signing him, now we have signed somebody else we aren't so they now have a player who openly doesn't want to be there with a few days before the window closes.

His value will have gone down.

better days

He's lost any signing on fee now hasn't he?
Or is that with an official transfer request?
The system changed some years ago
Players get a separate signing on fee payable by the buying club now, usually payable in instalments over the length of the new contract
A player asking for a move might lose any loyalty bonus written into their existing contract
But most players don't ask for a move unless their agent already has something set up for them and their present club won't agree to a sale

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I’m quite happy with the signing of this bloke from Huddersfield, a lot of fans seem to speak highly of him and he’s got pace to burn. Confident Robins can get the best out of him and improve him as a player, just like he’s done with numerous strikers for us!

In my opinion, I would still like to see us sign another forward. My personal choice would be Rose who could link up well with Biamou, unless there was some massive breakthrough with Chaplin. Judging from some of the posts earlier on in this thread (and only that Nick) it sounds like Pompey are playing games with Chaplin and it’s gone on for too long now.

This squad is definitely a lot better than the dogshit one that got us relegated from League 1 in 2017 and we’ve now got Robins (from the beginning of the season) who in my opinion is one of the biggest assets this club has! I think we can get top half this season. Pusb

Users who are viewing this thread