Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

Club Purchasing Car Park C (4 Viewers)

Really can't see the benefit of King building a new Ice Hockey Arena.
I very much doubt he is but I didn't think I'd wake up one morning to him having bought the stadium so who knows.

If he wants to build one probably better suited to the land between the shops and the trainline thats sat empty.
 
Out of curiosity, how well used is the casino? I presume it must be reasonably popular? Not my thing so have never been in.
 
I don't know about an ice hockey rink but if that was the plan you'd get blaze playing a couple of hours after CCFC games and encourage people to stay in the area spending more money at club owned bars and restaurants. Get people up there for 7/8 hours on a Saturday.
 
Out of curiosity, how well used is the casino? I presume it must be reasonably popular? Not my thing so have never been in.
It used to be a great night out, live music show bar and a range of food, even had fine dining. Last time I went in it was not busy at all and looks like the show bar and the area at the far end were not being used. Had a beer and left
 
Clearly promotion has accelerated Doug’s plans. If he can get Ryton fully modernised we’re going to be in a great place long term. Do we own the grassy land the other side of the CBS?
 
I don't know about an ice hockey rink but if that was the plan you'd get blaze playing a couple of hours after CCFC games and encourage people to stay in the area spending more money at club owned bars and restaurants. Get people up there for 7/8 hours on a Saturday.
Exactly that. Could be a smart move. Any room for a speedway track?
 
It used to be a great night out, live music show bar and a range of food, even had fine dining. Last time I went in it was not busy at all and looks like the show bar and the area at the far end were not being used. Had a beer and left

That sports bar area at the far end of the Casino, could quite easily be opened as a match day bar. It has it's own entrance near the players entrance.
 
I don't know about an ice hockey rink but if that was the plan you'd get blaze playing a couple of hours after CCFC games and encourage people to stay in the area spending more money at club owned bars and restaurants. Get people up there for 7/8 hours on a Saturday.
F&B is a big part of it it could have other family friendly stuff too. Broaden the income base so that even people with interest in the football team are inadvertently supporting the club financially. It would certainly be an easier sell for me if there was stuff for my totally uninterested in football wife and son to do while my daughter and I went to the match.
 
Unless he wants to build an MSCP on one of the other car parks, he's not going to sell off parking spaces that are well used and bring people and revenue. I doubt there is any specific plan long term, it's just increasing the asset base of the group.
 
Simon Gilbert wrote the BBC piece. Almost a blast from the past
 
Yeah I remember when it was the sports bar but I think it's empty / unused now?

I went in at the end of last season for a sneaky peak (the doors wern't locked). It's all still there, big square bar, seating etc etc, TVs everywhere. Just unused.
 
Last edited:
Fair enough...i blame Simon Gilbert who said it was a purchase.
I presume it means that the car park will just be transferred to the head lease that already contains the stadium. So the council would still hold the freehold but the club would effectively own the land on a very long leasehold and all the profits from it.
 
I assume / hope it was a joke but something is up at the SkyDome. The only things left in the main building are the casino, gym and cinema. Casino is closing, gym is moving to Central Six and there seems to be no sign of any work being done at the cinema as part of the Odeons refurb program.

There's also, hopefully false, rumours the car park is closing.

Planet Ice, who operate the rink, have a reputation for doing minimal maintenance and then walking away if someone else, ie the local council, won't foot the bill for a refurb. The rink is now over 25 years old and not in a great state.
Isn't there a plan for a inema as part of City Centre South? Could well be that will end up replacing the SkyDome.

I thought the ice hockey team might end up going to Birmingham as their owners had the plan for the sports quarter (even if it did seem a bit pie in the sky). The team has stagnated for a while and hasn't won a trophy in a while. I hope they don't though. By the CBS clearly isn't as accessible as the city centre so would be suprised if that was part of the plan, though obviously unlike the football pitch it can be used by the general public.

If the Skydome did get redeveloped I wonder about the car park. It's a bit crap but with Belgrade plaza currently out of action it would massively reduce city centre parking.

And on the subject of car parking, I still find the decision to build a MSCP on Salt Lane ridiculous. The council released a plan years ago stating that any new parking would be placed alongside the ring road. Then they build this right in the centre behind Ford's Hospital. Greyfriars Lane should be what they did with Spon St - move all the historic buildings there and create an historic quarter linked by the spires.
 
Not sure but thoughts and prayers with Italiahorse on this one.

he’s still going and as a Sky blue fan through and through charges a tenner a game on his website
 
Really can't see the benefit of King building a new Ice Hockey Arena.

Knock it down and build a new home for the Coventry Bees and stock car racing ect. 🤔
 
I don't know about an ice hockey rink but if that was the plan you'd get blaze playing a couple of hours after CCFC games and encourage people to stay in the area spending more money at club owned bars and restaurants. Get people up there for 7/8 hours on a Saturday.
Was at the blaze last week, and noticed it becoming more CCFC like.

Would be good to get a Coventry Sporting group with partnerships between the teams.

If it was to become an ice rink, i imagine it would be multi-purpose so could be used for other things rather than just a permanent ice rink
 
Was at the blaze last week, and noticed it becoming more CCFC like.

Would be good to get a Coventry Sporting group with partnerships between the teams.

If it was to become an ice rink, i imagine it would be multi-purpose so could be used for other things rather than just a permanent ice rink
The current ice rink was billed as a multi-purpose arena when it was built. I think they held one or two events but I guess the space was never really thought of as being suitable for whatever reason.
 
The current ice rink was billed as a multi-purpose arena when it was built.
When it was built it was for basketball! Its not actually regulation size for ice hockey but given the shortage of rinks that's overlooked.

Putting it on that island was a stupid idea. There's no room for the facilities you'd need to make it truly multi-purpose and zero chance of expansion.

Having said that its hosted WWE, MMA, boxing, concerts and netball in recent years. But like pretty much everything in Cov its under promoted and under utilised.
 
I assume / hope it was a joke but something is up at the SkyDome. The only things left in the main building are the casino, gym and cinema. Casino is closing, gym is moving to Central Six and there seems to be no sign of any work being done at the cinema as part of the Odeons refurb program.

There's also, hopefully false, rumours the car park is closing.

Planet Ice, who operate the rink, have a reputation for doing minimal maintenance and then walking away if someone else, ie the local council, won't foot the bill for a refurb. The rink is now over 25 years old and not in a great state.
City Centre South maybe having an impact, meant to be having an entertainment complex with Cinema and hotel etc.
 
City Centre South maybe having an impact, meant to be having an entertainment complex with Cinema and hotel etc.
Think that was dropped from the plans after Covid.

Plans don’t have an anchor tenant built in and instead have higher housing
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Exactly that. Could be a smart move. Any room for a speedway track?
I was thinking that. Get the Bees racing on a Saturday night again (I was pissed off when they moved race-night).
Fanciful thinking though, sadly.
 
Building a crèche for the kids as Doug doesn’t like them watching the games.
 
I’d quite like to see purchasing Connexion and the crane site and turn Ryton into a top class facility.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom