City Of Culture Bid (1 Viewer)

skybluericoh

Jaguar is a Coventry firm.

It is now, but started as Swallow or Swift, can't quite remember, by Lyons in Blackpool moved to the old cycle works in Parkside later changing it's name to Jaguar sure they made a car or cars badged SS. I think my point might be at what point will WASPs become a Coventry Team? Maybe they need to change the mane to Coventry Stingers? Nearly singers, that would pee off a few more.

By the way I'm not a WASPs fan would love to see them gift the Ricoh to the Sky Blues but also understand that they saw an opportunity to get a world class stadium at a knock down price and took it. Unlike our greedy owners who wanted it for free or as close to that as they could get it.

The Reverend Skyblue

To take armybikes point to its conclusion if an organisation such as the EDL wanted to be our shirt sponsor and offered more than others we should just automatically accept? If its all about the highest bidder and doesn't reflect on the organisation or event being sponsored then why not?
No no.. you said that Wasps put plans into motion.... you obviously applaud them.

So lets do the same. We'll lend money to the club and they can build a new stadium and academy.

I'll let them know you'll be there first with the chequebook.... or do you need to check with your Wasps buddies to see if it's not a 'conflict of interest'
We owe SISU tens of millions of dept and have nothing to show for it,
Wasps on the hand have...................
A 40 million debt that's due for repayment, plus didn't they have a 18 million pound debt before they came here, and was the debt that would have took them under.
Yes they have a stadium,part of which weren't they second highest bidder on.
Yea go council, supporting Coventrys sporting teams in every way

skybluericoh

Why are you comparing a hedge fund withe a sports club? Ccfc have put a lot into the community over the years and continue to do so

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I cannot separate the two of them I'm afraid, wish I could. But i doubt very much that all the legal cost that our ongoing at the mo are not been added to the SISU IOU and interest then put against it. I'm not clever enough to understand how Big Business finance works, was naive enough to believe statements like 'we have no overdraft' for it to be SISU are funding us and it is all debt that we are then paying interest on. So for me the owners and the club are one and the same. Yes CCFC have put a lot into the community, the community have also put a lot into the club over the years.

chiefdave

Not quite the same thing though is it. When Swallow moved to Coventry the company had only been in existence for 6 years. They moved here in 1928 and didn't become Jaguar until 1945.
Very different to a rugby club moving after nearly 150 years in London.
It will be generational. Similar to franchise sports in the states. You're looking at over 50 years for that to happen.

Nick

Administrator
By the way I'm not a WASPs fan would love to see them gift the Ricoh to the Sky Blues but also understand that they saw an opportunity to get a world class stadium at a knock down price and took it. Unlike our greedy owners who wanted it for free or as close to that as they could get it.

Didn't they offer more money for the Higgs Share the 2nd time around?

Didn't they offer not far off the first time around?

torchomatic

What a strange comment, no one has the faintest idea what things will be like in another 248 years.

248 years ago it was 1768, professional Football and Rugby did not exist, the Coventry Canal was not built and the population of Coventry was less than 16,000.
Why is it? That's how long the lease has to run.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

The Reverend Skyblue

Didn't they offer more money for the Higgs Share the 2nd time around?

Didn't they offer not far off the first time around?
How dare you Nick post facts like these that look pro football club ,hang your head in shame.
Get it right you slag off the club and praise at every turn the council.

torchomatic

Captain Dart

Why is it? That's how long the lease has to run.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Bloody hell of course I knew that but whoosh you are not up to discussing anything about the real world with those Sky Blue blinkers on. Forget it, go back to your dream world.

armybike

So take that to its extreme conclusion and you would be happy for CCFC to be sponsored by any undesirable organisation as long as they were the highest bidder. The club, using your criteria, would have no grounds to reject that bid.

Why does it have to be taken to an 'extreme conclusion' - why not just stick to what's being said? Where have I said or even indicated a group such as the EDL or one what hold such baseless and offensive opinions/views would be a reasonable?

Also, where have I said that the highest bid 'has to' be accepted? Saying something should go to the highest bidder, as this would allow the largest amount of funding, is not saying it 'has to' go to them.

As I said, missing the point.

You've placed your own slant on what I've said and tried to present it back as my position.

Also not quite sure why you needed to quote so many of my comments in one post, as people are perfectly able to read what I've said - but on the positive side it does underline your interpretation of what I've said is totally of the mark.

A debate is about an exchange of differing positions - not about trying to belittle someone.

skybluetony176

It is now, but started as Swallow or Swift, can't quite remember, by Lyons in Blackpool moved to the old cycle works in Parkside later changing it's name to Jaguar sure they made a car or cars badged SS. I think my point might be at what point will WASPs become a Coventry Team? Maybe they need to change the mane to Coventry Stingers? Nearly singers, that would pee off a few more.

I think SS stood for swallow sidecars IIRC. You're definitely right about it being from Blackpool though.

skybluetony176

Not quite the same thing though is it. When Swallow moved to Coventry the company had only been in existence for 6 years. They moved here in 1928 and didn't become Jaguar until 1945.
Very different to a rugby club moving after nearly 150 years in London.
It will be generational. Similar to franchise sports in the states. You're looking at over 50 years for that to happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it Wasps FC who have 150 years of history and they still exist in London today? Wasps RFC was a breakaway when the game turned professional in the 90's isn't it?

torchomatic

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it Wasps FC who have 150 years of history and they still exist in London today? Wasps RFC was a breakaway when the game turned professional in the 90's isn't it?

Yes, there's an amateur and a Pro team. We have the equivalent of MK Dons in Coventry.

Moff

Yes I will correct you. You are wrong.

chiefdave

Why does it have to be taken to an 'extreme conclusion' - why not just stick to what's being said? Where have I said or even indicated a group such as the EDL or one what hold such baseless and offensive opinions/views would be a reasonable?
You can't have it both ways. Either its all about the money and the sponsor doesn't reflect on the organisation they are sponsoring or it isn't.

If it isn't then its subjective as to what is suitable. You can't therefore assert as fact that there isn't an issue with Wasps sponsorship when clearly for some people there is.

NorthernWisdom

Well... he is in terms of the fact they both came from the same root (one became two with links), so can both lay claim to tracing their history back to the origin.

Of course the interestiung thing going forward will be if there's any kind of battle to lay claim to the official heritage, in a similar line to AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons...

Last edited:

armybike

You can't have it both ways. Either its all about the money and the sponsor doesn't reflect on the organisation they are sponsoring or it isn't.

If it isn't then its subjective as to what is suitable. You can't therefore assert as fact that there isn't an issue with Wasps sponsorship when clearly for some people there is.

Can't have it both ways? The two examples you'd decided to use are poles apart.

Wasps have sponsored the bid. EDL will never sponsor the CCFC shirts.

As I've asked - "where have I said that the highest bid 'has to' be accepted? Saying something should go to the highest bidder, as this would allow the largest amount of funding, is not saying it 'has to' go to them."

People are entitled to disagree with the decision - can you confirm where I've "asserted as fact" otherwise?

However, the fact people don't agree doesn't mean the decision shouldn't have been made.

italiahorse

Well... he is in terms of the fact they both came from the same root (one became two with links), so can both lay claim to tracing their history back to the origin.

Of course the interestiung thing going forward will be if there's any kind of battle to lay claim to the official heritage, in a similar line to AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons...

No one really cares.
Rangers are a new club but everybody still believes they are the same one.

Philosorapter

newco-rangers-600x600.jpg

Glasgow bookies, probably from the East End, telling it like it is.

torchomatic

Heritage 4 years ?

Same team, same colours, same ground. Did you say anything about them prior to 2012? Don't like the team but they have the same heritage going back 130 years or however long ago it was they formed.

This isn't anything like MK Dons or AFC Wimbledon, is it?

italiahorse

Yes they do.
There are bigger things to worry about !!
Wasps has happened unfortunately, they will continue to become part of our community regardless what we do.
But having said that, they could do a lot for their cause if they could be receptive to CCFC needs.
Evidently they have a good working relationship with CCFC (stalled at the moment on the stadium) and should work together with 'all' parties to make the Higgs Centre the Wasp/CCFC/Community state of the art facility it can be.

torchomatic

There are bigger things to worry about !!
Wasps has happened unfortunately, they will continue to become part of our community regardless what we do.
But having said that, they could do a lot for their cause if they could be receptive to CCFC needs.
Evidently they have a good working relationship with CCFC (stalled at the moment on the stadium) and should work together with 'all' parties to make the Higgs Centre the Wasp/CCFC/Community state of the art facility it can be.

We need to forget them and move on, right?

Users who are viewing this thread