City Of Culture Bid (1 Viewer)

armybike

I.listed a couple more than that. You are making out wasps Are and were the only option

I'm not making out anything of the sort Nick, please don't start this whole knowing what I'm trying to say nonsense again.

What I'm saying very very directly is that sponsorship has absolutely nothing to do with anything more than offering money for something to be moved forward - there is no requirement for their to be any links between the topic at hand and the sponsor be it around culture or otherwise.

You may morally disagree, but the criteria of sponsorship doesn't have this stipulation.

dongonzalos

What would people here at SBT views have been if SISU had sponsored it?

I would be annoyed that the money wasn't spent on the team.
Like money that has been spent on architects
Directors wages when they spend time at court or dealing with court business.
Legal expenses (if there are any)
At a time when we have to cut our cloth and need every penny for the team.

NorthernWisdom

What I'm saying very very directly is that sponsorship has absolutely nothing to do with anything more than offering money for something to be moved forward - there is no requirement for their to be any links between the topic at hand and the sponsor be it around culture or otherwise.

In which case why are you asking who? Why not just the biggest bidder? Why not Daewoo?

The very fact Wasps even *start* to sponsor it is because there is a link to the topic.

Nick

Administrator
I would be annoyed that the money wasn't spent on the team.
Like money that has been spent on architects
Directors wages when they spend time at court or dealing with court business.
Legal expenses (if there are any)
At a time when we have to cut our cloth and need every penny for the team.
Good job they didn't then isn't it? The fact you got a like shows the intention...

armybike

In which case why are you asking who? Why not just the biggest bidder? Why not Daewoo?

The very fact Wasps even *start* to sponsor it is because there is a link to the topic.

I totally agree it should have been the highest bidder.

Wasps did it to get their name out there. Companies don't sponsor things just because they're being nice. It is totally a money motivated by Wasps.

armybike

Good job they didn't then isn't it? The fact you got a like shows the intention...

So now I'm not allowed to like posts - honestly Nick take off the tinfoil hat.

NorthernWisdom

Wasps did it to get their name out there. Companies don't sponsor things just because they're being nice. It is totally a money motivated by Wasps.

They're also doing it because they want to signal that they are part of Coventry, and part of Coventry's culture. What they get is a message. It's not just about a name and awareness, it's what it's linked to!

Hence why COventry Building Society are no longer linked to CCFC!

dongonzalos

Yes I am glad they didn't we can't afford it.
To be honest if I was a Wasps fan I would be saying what the bloody hell are we doing.
Spend that money on the squad

armybike

They're also doing it because they want to signal that they are part of Coventry, and part of Coventry's culture. What they get is a message. It's not just about a name and awareness, it's what it's linked to!

Hence why COventry Building Society are no longer linked to CCFC!

What is culture?

Brylowes

The sad reality of this, and what should concern people more is that
our owners have squeezed us into a position of being completely on
our own. The truth is not only will We be excluded from the bid, which
if "won"will be a great opportunity for the city it's business and more
Importantly its people.
But there's a real possibility / probability that when it takes place WE
CCFC will be playing in a different town, or not playing anywhere
at all. :(

Otis

The sad reality of this, and what should concern people more is that
our owners have squeezed us into a position of being completely on
our own. The truth is not only will We be excluded from the bid, which
if "won"will be a great opportunity for the city it's business and more
Importantly its people.
But there's a real possibility / probability that when it takes place WE
CCFC will be playing in a different town, or not playing anywhere
at all. :(
My worst fear is that of Wasps entrenched in Coventry and Coventry City playing outside the city.

The last thing surely that any of us want is for Wasps to be accepted as THE sporting club of this city.

Nick

Administrator
My worst fear is that of Wasps entrenched in Coventry and Coventry City playing outside the city.

The last thing surely that any of us want is for Wasps to be accepted as THE sporting club of this city.

Didn't that start happening a while ago?

Brylowes

Agreed, and of all the concerned parties involved, the one facilitating this
the most are our owners.

chiefdave

If there is no sponsor how do you expect the bid to be progressed?
Not all the bids are sponsored so it seems it is entirely possible to progress a bid without one.
Worcester Council said:
Coventry spent £260,000 preparing a bid
The only two that are sponsored have a fairly obvious link:
Paisley - Glasgow Airport
Sunderland - Sunderland City Council, University of Sunderland, Music Arts and Culture Trust Sunderland

armybike

Not all the bids are sponsored so it seems it is entirely possible to progress a bid without one.

The only two that are sponsored have a fairly obvious link:
Paisley - Glasgow Airport
Sunderland - Sunderland City Council, University of Sunderland, Music Arts and Culture Trust Sunderland

The £260k all came directly from CCC?

armybike

To take armybikes point to its conclusion if an organisation such as the EDL wanted to be our shirt sponsor and offered more than others we should just automatically accept? If its all about the highest bidder and doesn't reflect on the organisation or event being sponsored then why not?

And the award for 'Missing the Point goes to.........

armybike

How? You are saying that the sponsor does not reflect on the bid and should be the organisation that offers the most money.

You've decided to jump in on a perfectly reasonable debate and for some bizarre reason dropped in the EDL.

italiahorse

I for one would be looking as to why. Possibly wait until it won then move it to Northampton? Seriously though when have SISU put anything into the community of Coventry and Warwickshire? WASPs may not of originated here, neither did Jaguar, but they do seem to be intent on putting very firm roots here. We either need to work with them openly, not he said she said like we get now, or do something to cut the ties completely.

Jaguar is a Coventry firm.

chiefdave

You've decided to jump in on a perfectly reasonable debate and for some bizarre reason dropped in the EDL.
You're making the argument that it doesn't matter who a sponsor is, merely the fact that they are the highest bidder. You're also stated that morals or having a link to the organisation or event being sponsored don't come into it.
Sponsorship facilitates the project being progressed
Are you trying to suggest companies should only sponsor things if they have links to the event at hand?
Sponsorship is about providing money for something to be moved forward.
Sponsor provide money for something to be progressed or take place. There is absolutely no requirement for them to have any links or involvement with the subject at hand.
It's completely just about providing money - the kickback being they get their name out there.
It's not - it's all about money.
The fact it's about culture simply doesn't come into it - that not how sponsorship works. It might morally seem right, but which business are run on morals
You honestly think the sponsor of the bid would impact the decision making? Really?!
You may morally disagree, but the criteria of sponsorship doesn't have this stipulation.
So take that to its extreme conclusion and you would be happy for CCFC to be sponsored by any undesirable organisation as long as they were the highest bidder. The club, using your criteria, would have no grounds to reject that bid.
If that's not the case then there must be an arbitrary line not to be crossed where the benefits of the money received are outweighed by the negatives of the sponsorship. That's not quite the binary situation you are presenting and requires a judgement. In this case the vast majority of posters on this thread believe Wasps sponsorship of our city of culture bid steps over that line.

italiahorse

You're making the argument that it doesn't matter who a sponsor is, merely the fact that they are the highest bidder. You're also stated that morals or having a link to the organisation or event being sponsored don't come into it.
So take that to its extreme conclusion and you would be happy for CCFC to be sponsored by any undesirable organisation as long as they were the highest bidder. The club, using your criteria, would have no grounds to reject that bid.
If that's not the case then there must be an arbitrary line not to be crossed where the benefits of the money received are outweighed by the negatives of the sponsorship. That's not quite the binary situation you are presenting and requires a judgement. In this case the vast majority of posters on this thread believe Wasps sponsorship of our city of culture bid steps over that line.

The majority of Coventry ratepayers are either not bothered or quite happy that Wasps are involved in this.
As for Wasps, it's supporting items like this that build relationships with the people of Coventry and eventually will embed them in the community.
I wish I could replace Wasps with CCFC in all CCC documentation but unfortunately Sisu got involved with our club.

Grendel

The majority of Coventry ratepayers are either not bothered or quite happy that Wasps are involved in this.
As for Wasps, it's supporting items like this that build relationships with the people of Coventry and eventually will embed them in the community.
I wish I could replace Wasps with CCFC in all CCC documentation but unfortunately Sisu got involved with our club.

More lies more bullshit.

Ian1779

They'll become embedded in our city because of hypocrites like you.

You bemoan SISU for moving us - celebrate Wasps doing the same.

You criticise SISU for lack of investment- ignoring the fact Wasps have only invested other people's money.

You talk about building relationships - but fail to see that Wasps are only interested in relationships where they get their own way.

And worst of all you peddle their bullshit like its fact. You should be ashamed.

Brylowes

Love to see how you arrive at that conclusion...
Because they've dragged our good name through the mud (inc' Sixfields mud)
Our reputation lay's in tatters, any working relationships we had have been
destroyed beyond repair, and I don't think for one minute they want to fund
the academy any more.
They know they haven't a chance of recouping the money they have "supposedly"
Lost.
They should get what they can, give us a fighting chance and just leave.

italiahorse

They'll become embedded in our city because of hypocrites like you.
You bemoan SISU for moving us - celebrate Wasps doing the same.
You criticise SISU for lack of investment- ignoring the fact Wasps have only invested other people's money.
You talk about building relationships - but fail to see that Wasps are only interested in relationships where they get their own way.
And worst of all you peddle their bullshit like its fact. You should be ashamed.

So you didn't moan when we moved to Northampton ?
So you are happy with Sisu investment ?
The problem is that Wasps bullshit actually gets turned into plans.
Sisu are losers and if you won't criticise them you are part of the problem.

martcov

And of course, if I were Wasps this is exactly why I'd have been looking to sponsor this too.

Can't help but feel the consequence of said sponsorship is that if Coventry were to win the bid, it would be *despite* of their choice of sponsors, not *because* of them. Wasps however can't lose, even if the city loses its bid. It's a very wise move on *their* part...

Which is why I mentioned this before... Where were we? CCFC should be at the forefront in Sport as CA says... But the name CCFC should also be seen supporting the culture bid. It would have been a good move to get involved in something prominent like this. Even if it costs... The negative image in our home city is costing far more.

chiefdave

So you didn't moan when we moved to Northampton ?
So you are happy with Sisu investment ?
So you wouldn't moan if SISU moved us 85 miles as it would be financially advantageous?
So you would be happy with SISU taking out tens of millions in debt against club assets to pay themselves back?

Brylowes

So you wouldn't moan if SISU moved us 85 miles as it would be financially advantageous?
So you would be happy with SISU taking out tens of millions in debt against club assets to pay themselves back?
I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck about wasps, don't think I'd even
heard of them until they took up residence.
It's the shower of filth that OWN us that gives me heartache, what in
there history with us gives you hope.

Users who are viewing this thread