Chaplin to Salford? (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Chaplin will never 'come good'. He's as good as he ever will be. He's 5'6" and 152lb, way too short and lightweight for a striker.
In my opnion, we'd be far better off developing Ponticelli. He'll be far better than Chaplin ever will be.
Jesus Christ, Chaplin is streets ahead of Ponti. Ponti looks like somebody who has barely played the game

SkyBlueCRJ

They could afford to pay his wage because they didn’t have to pay a fee. Agreed they will be competitive with wages, just don’t see this pot of gold extending to over the odds transfer fees

What’s over the odds though? Realistically they have the budget to afford whatever fee we paid for Chaplin. Luton Town spent 6-figure fees on the likes of Luke Berry and James Collins whilst they were in League Two. So why couldn’t Salford follow suit and in fact take that one step further in their spending when their majority shareholder is worth an estimated 2.2 billion? Not forgetting the combined net worth of the Class of 92 equally reaches into the hundreds of millions.

If you look at their accounts up until last June, Lim and the Class of 92 had already given the club £2.4 million worth of interest free loans. I’m sure that figure would’ve increased dramatically this year. Further according to their accounts, borrowing increased from £655K to £2.4M between the 2016/17 season to the 2017/18 season. The whole reason why everyone is so against Salford’s model is because it’s unfair as they literally do have a pot of gold which will probably extend to six figure transfer fees in the coming weeks. To my knowledge there are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees in L1 and L2. But there are restrictions in place with regards to wages. So FFP wouldn’t be an issue if they were to spend such figures - and no risk to the club short term if all loans are interest free.

Covkid1968#

Am I the only one who’s optimistic he’ll still come good? I think a pre-Season with us will do him the world of good.

Not ready to give up on him just yet
I’m sure he will too.....Robins has improved most of the strikers in his time with us.

Skybluefaz

Isn't this the club owned by a load of old Man U players. You would think they would know a decent player when they saw one (mind you, MR falls into that bracket!) - and have the money to finace it.
I thought it was just United players that owned them but some billionaire chap from Singapore owns 40% of them. Could just buy their way up to the premier league quite easily

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd like to see Chaplin alongside Max. Whilst often stumbling in front of goal, Max wins a lot in the air. Could be the making of Chappers.

Personally I don't think Chaplin will prove to be good enough. I don't see that strikers instinct in him and his composure in front of goal and in one-on-ones was lacking IMO. Whoever said he had good movement in the box he doesn't spend enough time in the box to show it, always dropping deep.

But having said that he was brought in as McNulty's replacement and he was much better alongside Max and I think Chaplin deserves that opportunity as well. He needs to be told to focus on playing in the box, getting onto Max's flick ons etc and getting shots away.

If we could recoup our money on him over the summer I'd be happy for the club to accept that but anything less and we should persevere for a little while longer.

Frank Sidebottom

I thought it was just United players that owned them but some billionaire chap from Singapore owns 40% of them. Could just buy their way up to the premier league quite easily
Salfords some kind of weird vanity project for the ex United players.... even if they were to get to the Premier League they're close neighbours of 2 of the biggest teams in the country and will struggle to ever attract crowds of more than 10000. Early bird STs are £125 for next season... just over £5 a game.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think there is a decent player in Chaplin but he'll never prosper in our system so I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

His goal scoring record wasn’t that bad, slightly better than 1 in 4. At 21, he can be developed so it would be foolish to let him go unless we got a silly money offer for him.

I expected more from him and he’s missed a few good chances, but that applies to just about all of our players last season. We should at least see what he can do next season fully fit and a preseason with us under his belt.

Grendel

The jury is still out but he’s clearly capable from his overall record and next season will be the determining factor

Grendel

This. Somehow people think ponti has a chance but Chaplin is shit.

Ponti won't make it

Well one thinks that and he’s never seen him play

CanadianCCFC

It’s a parody account faking being a reporter. Even got a fake account for the network he supposedly “works” for.

ddsdube

Salfords some kind of weird vanity project for the ex United players.... even if they were to get to the Premier League they're close neighbours of 2 of the biggest teams in the country and will struggle to ever attract crowds of more than 10000. Early bird STs are £125 for next season... just over £5 a game.

Surely 99% of football club ownership is a vanity project for the owner, it’s hardly a money making business investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaside-Skyblue

Chaplin will never 'come good'. He's as good as he ever will be. He's 5'6" and 152lb, way too short and lightweight for a striker.
In my opnion, we'd be far better off developing Ponticelli. He'll be far better than Chaplin ever will be.
Didnt stop Mifsud. Pretty sure his physical stats were lower than that too.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Ricketts

Surely 99% of football club ownership is a vanity project for the owner, it’s hardly a money making business investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all. It's handy for money laundering and betting syndicates.

rob9872

I like Conor and I do think he'll improve but if we get our money back and ccan spend again on a fresh face with no baggage who can hit the ground running, then I think I'd take that.

ccfc92

This. Somehow people think ponti has a chance but Chaplin is shit.

Ponti won't make it

He was great vs Crawley end of last season.

I would like him to be a fringe player in the squad but surely someone will have to leave as we now have several strikers with Biamou eventually coming back.

Skybluefaz

His goal scoring record wasn’t that bad, slightly better than 1 in 4. At 21, he can be developed so it would be foolish to let him go unless we got a silly money offer for him.

I expected more from him and he’s missed a few good chances, but that applies to just about all of our players last season. We should at least see what he can do next season fully fit and a preseason with us under his belt.
As soon as Bakayoko came into that lone striker role we looked a better team in my opinion. I just struggle to see Chaplin playing up front on his own and I presume Robins will stick with the 4231 next season. He looks the classic 'little man' in that old school combo. Can't see us going 442 any time soon though.

Otis

I think there is a decent player in Chaplin but he'll never prosper in our system so I wouldn't mind seeing him go.
I agree with this.

I think he could be a decent player for us, but I just can't see where we can fit him into a system that plays just one up front.

Great_Expectations

Chaplin has a chance of coming good, but I’d happily offload if we can.

I accept it’s his first year being a starter and the fact he’s young and it’s his first club away from his home town, but I struggle to see his attributes.

I was one of the few who rated and promoted McNulty (and Biamou) last season when he wasn’t scoring, as it was evident he was a good footballer. I struggle with Chaplin; he’s not good enough technically to play 10 or a deep lying striker, his movement is poor, his runs are not intelligent and he isn’t quick enough to play off the last man.

He was signed a poacher type striker, so for that to work we need to change our style of play and/or our formation. Unfortunately for CC I don’t see MR doing that.

He’s still young and relatively inexperienced at being the ‘main’ striker at a club. Hopefully with a full pre season and a few goals under his belt to increase his confidence, he improves, but as above, I’m not sure his reported attributes fit into the current system.

If we can get money from him we should. I don’t think we’ll regret letting him go and there’s better strikers out there for a promotion chasing team. If not, then I really hope he comes good, especially as he seems a nice lad and is a hard worker too.

Garryb80

Ah the old nice lad and hard worker. All the comments here are describing an expensive Ponticelli. Chaplin isn't suited to the system or style we play and, like Portsmouth, I don't feel is good enough for the league we are in either.

lordy_87

What's with all these people writing off ponticelli? The lads barely been given a chance, you can't judge a player based on a 5 minute cameo in the last minutes of a game. I know it's only u23's bit if you look at his scoring record it shows he evidently knows where the net is. I wanna see him given a run of games and I for one don't buy this 'he needs to loose a few pounds' stuff, cos Chaplin ain't exactly in the best shape either is he? but a lot of people think that he will 'come good'.

Otis

What's with all these people writing off ponticelli? The lads barely been given a chance, you can't judge a player based on a 5 minute cameo in the last minutes of a game. I know it's only u23's bit if you look at his scoring record it shows he evidently knows where the net is. I wanna see him given a run of games and I for one don't buy this 'he needs to loose a few pounds' stuff, cos Chaplin ain't exactly in the best shape either is he? but a lot of people think that he will 'come good'.
Not trying to make a comparison, but Paul Culpin also knew where the net was.

kg82

Ah the old nice lad and hard worker. All the comments here are describing an expensive Ponticelli. Chaplin isn't suited to the system or style we play and, like Portsmouth, I don't feel is good enough for the league we are in either.

Nice lad? Who’s said that? I actually think Chaplins movement is good, not just a hard worker. He’s not really played in his position because, like a lot have said, he didn’t suit the system last year. However, he was obviously bought for a reason and we didn’t really settle on that system for a couple months. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if Robins goes for what he was planning originally.

Users who are viewing this thread