Championship favourite fixtures.... (1 Viewer)

skyblue025

I worded my post poorly!

Wasps are more likely to go bust now by Covid so this surely give SISU and opputunity earlier than enviaged to obtain the Ricoh and get us back playing in Coventry?
The stadium lease reverts back to the council if Wasps go pop. There is no way CCC are going to sell the Ricoh to SISU on the cheap. Never going to happen.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The stadium lease reverts back to the council if Wasps go pop. There is no way CCC are going to sell the Ricoh to SISU on the cheap. Never going to happen.

That is part of the swings-and-roundabouts of their entire argument. Even if they did win their court case all that's going to do is push the price of the stadium up. They can't argue it was undervalued if they then offer a similar amount for it. Totally undermines their case.

Paxman II

If such a scenario happened, what other major club in any sport would the council have queuing up then? The list is a short one and the people of Coventry/taxpayers I think would have a lot to say this time around.

Grendel

If losing rights to the Ricoh is the most damaging thing that could ever happen to the club we probably shouldn’t have been so gung ho about not needing it really.

Can bitch and moan that we shouldn’t have been taken seriously, but the clubs official position for years has been we neither need not want the Ricoh.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It was never available to buy

Minor detail and all that

Grendel

That is part of the swings-and-roundabouts of their entire argument. Even if they did win their court case all that's going to do is push the price of the stadium up. They can't argue it was undervalued if they then offer a similar amount for it. Totally undermines their case.

Er no as the default lease reverts back to the council

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Er no as the default lease reverts back to the council

....at which point they could bid for it. But to back up their own argument they'd have to offer significantly more than Wasps did in order not to undermine their legal argument of it being undervalued. Which then puts paid to their strategy of trying to get it on the cheap like they did with the rent strike.

chiefdave

....at which point they could bid for it. But to back up their own argument they'd have to offer significantly more than Wasps did in order not to undermine their legal argument of it being undervalued. Which then puts paid to their strategy of trying to get it on the cheap like they did with the rent strike.
If it reverts back to the council I would like to see an open bidding process where everyone interested is bidding on the same thing. Lets get things out in the open. I would also expect pressure to be put on the council to ensure, and properly this time, that any owner had to make provision for CCFC to play there.

I can think of at least two other potential bidders besides CCFC but somebody else owning it isn't necessarily bad news as long as there's still the option for CCFC to have a fair deal.

Alex1987

If it reverts back to the council I would like to see an open bidding process where everyone interested is bidding on the same thing. Lets get things out in the open. I would also expect pressure to be put on the council to ensure, and properly this time, that any owner had to make provision for CCFC to play there.

I can think of at least two other potential bidders besides CCFC but somebody else owning it isn't necessarily bad news as long as there's still the option for CCFC to have a fair deal.

Who would they be out of interest?

TewkesburySkyBlue

I don't want to get promoted just to go on a nostalgia tour & sit there admiring these Championship clubs & grounds, the games I'm looking forward to are the one we win so that we can stay up, not bothered at all about the glamour
Sorry RoS I think that’s very negative. From what Ive seen this season I have no doubt we will hold our own next season . Winning becomes a habit and quite a few teams have had successive promotions as a result .

SlowerThanPlatt

Sorry RoS I think that’s very negative. From what Ive seen this season I have no doubt we will hold our own next season . Winning becomes a habit and quite a few teams have had successive promotions as a result .

If you spend lots of money and rack up huge losses then yes it is possible. It’s a little harder if you plan to be self sustainable

Wolves Wolves: Championship winners lost £1m a week during 2017-18

Bournemouth Bournemouth fined £7.6m for Financial Fair Play rule breach

Ring Of Steel

I am positive and I also have no doubt we'll stay up, not what I meant at all. Maybe I'm old enough but trips to the City Ground, Blackburn etc- done it all before and I don't really see the glamour in it.

Paxman II

Open bidding? How many suitors and who exactly? The lease reverts back to the council. The stadium is much older now and in need of maintence and upgrades. What price do you think a lease could be sold for? What price the council pay attention to it's own clause that whoever owned it made provision for CCFC to use it? What price is worth getting the cities club back playing in Coventry? City of culture coming up et al. I think the council would offer it with no premium tbh or a very small one at that. Rent negotiations may be a slightly different story. A fair and equitable rent with a full and repairing lease would aliviate the council of much of it's responsabilities, and do for the community what's best.

Sick Boy

Apart from the minor detail of having huge budgets to reach the PL, you mean?

Paxman II

I am positive and I also have no doubt we'll stay up, not what I meant at all. Maybe I'm old enough but trips to the City Ground, Blackburn etc- done it all before and I don't really see the glamour in it.

I get it...be controversial. Meanwhile I'll go to Derby, Norwich, Villa, Forest.

TewkesburySkyBlue

Apart from the minor detail of having huge budgets to reach the PL, you mean?
I wasn’t suggesting we’ll go straight through but it has been done in several occasions . Anyway the lunacy of obscene transfer fees and player wages in PL is going to collapse pretty soon anyway

Grendel

No they wouldn’t ACL would be in admin and either the council take it back on original terms or it can go through a admin process they would just have to satisfy admin rules

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No they wouldn’t ACL would be in admin and either the council take it back on original terms or it can go through a admin process they would just have to satisfy admin rules

Which would support the case it wasn't overvalued because the danger at the time was admin that thus drove the price down then to avoid it.

Brighton Sky Blue

I wasn’t suggesting we’ll go straight through but it has been done in several occasions . Anyway the lunacy of obscene transfer fees and player wages in PL is going to collapse pretty soon anyway

Only Burnley and Huddersfield have done it without gambling the stadium or tens of millions of pounds in losses per season.

skyblue025

If such a scenario happened, what other major club in any sport would the council have queuing up then? The list is a short one and the people of Coventry/taxpayers I think would have a lot to say this time around.

In all seriousness there were no other sporting clubs queuing up to buy it when Joy took us to Northampton and Timmy said exactly the same as you. The council have been paid for the stadium by Wasps. They can sell it too the highest bidder and it will be money in the coffers. Coventry RFC? Property developer? SISU? Another sporting club? The majority of the tax payers of Coventry aren't that bothered. It's a small percentage who actually attend games.

Brighton Sky Blue

In all seriousness there were no other sporting clubs queuing up to buy it when Joy took us to Northampton and Timmy said exactly the same as you. The council have been paid for the stadium by Wasps. They can sell it too the highest bidder and it will be money in the coffers. Coventry RFC? Property developer? SISU? Another sporting club? The majority of the tax payers of Coventry aren't that bothered. It's a small percentage who actually attend games.

Even a full house would only draw 10%

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The lease reverts back to the 49 year one though doesn’t it. So we would in fact be bidding for that.

the council should just peppercorn rent it to us with the proviso we take the income and all running costs. I’d be happy with that arrangement. Let the council keep all the surrounding land for development

Paxman II

WASP struggle to mkae it work and can't maintain the upkeep. have you looked close at the stadium. I hope SISU would be a bidder if they still owned CCFC. As for Coventry RFC, how on earth would they sustain thie presence? As for taxpayers yes they would be bothered to lose the only stadium for events in the city. It's not just a sports ground.
Huckerby - the lease reverting back to 49 years? Explain.

Somerset Sky Blue

Have I missed something?
Are wasps in anymore trouble than a few months ago....or is this wishful thinking combined with the promotion?
Saw on BBC sport that spurs got a covid loan for ground - could wasps get this and therefore not be in as much trouble?

chiefdave

Have I missed something?
Are wasps in anymore trouble than a few months ago....or is this wishful thinking combined with the promotion?
Saw on BBC sport that spurs got a covid loan for ground - could wasps get this and therefore not be in as much trouble?
The company I work for applied, and got, a covid loan but they had to put a hell of a lot of work in to get it approved as they have to prove they are a viable business and will be able to repay. And that was to borrow, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively small amount by a company that has decades of decent accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread