Championies, Championies (3 Viewers)

Grendel

Mate actually read what I said.
This needs to carry on, it’s laughable that they’re willing to cancel the EFL but carry on the PL. Its either safe to play football or it’s not.

It’s the cost of carrying on which is the issue as much as anything else

Malaka

I'm not into playing games at neutral venues. Teams that have played teams away, lose home advantage of no fans and pitch familiarity.

skybluebeast

It’s the cost of carrying on which is the issue as much as anything else
So what no football until a possible vaccine is sourced? Surely by that time as zero revenues will be coming in ie. ticket sales, merch and sponsorship then clubs will be dead anyway.
Football is too stuck in its ways, this virus isn’t going anywhere ever, so we have to adapt to beat it.

Skybluefaz

So what no football until a possible vaccine is sourced? Surely by that time as zero revenues will be coming in ie. ticket sales, merch and sponsorship then clubs will be dead anyway.
Football is too stuck in its ways, this virus isn’t going anywhere ever, so we have to adapt to beat it.
The cost of testing is what is the problem.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

For those who are expecting to just continue to the season post-June good luck forcing the out of contract players to play. Can't break contract law and just tell people they're contracts are being extended without their say so. And continuing the same season with wildly different squads would be a farce. Blackpool have 15 players out of contract on June 1st.

They can't, and shouldn't, be forced to play but if the league refuse to open up the transfer window until season completed they can choose to leave on contract expiry but not sign for anyone else so their choice is temporary extension and getting paid or refusing and not. Let them decide.

There are technically a few ways they could get round being paid (non-player role, pre-contract signing on fee payable immediately to cover 'wages') but that would involve said player really being wanted that badly by the club they're willing and able to cover those costs even though the player can't play for them. With the potential of no fans in stadiums for the foreseeable a lot of clubs may struggle to be able to do this.

Terry Gibson's perm

The most ridiculous idea is the end it at half way, you could have played all the best teams away at that stage or may have played more away games than home. The only people who are pushing for that are the teams who had a good first half of the season.

Legia Sky Blue

It’s up to the clubs to vote rather than the EFL?

Of course, but the EFL will decide how the vote works, which will have huge significance to the eventual outcome. For instance do the 3 leagues decide together, or do they decide by individual league, or as suggested League 1 and League 2 are separated for voting purposes from the Championship, with likely different outcomes? Separating the leagues for voting purposes seems legally dubious to me, as it could be conceived to have been done to achieve a pre ordained outcome, and might not have otherwise happened. Maybe the EFL rules allow it though, I'm not sure.

Furthermore, if as seems likely the EFL set an initial question of clubs a) do you want to play out season b) or cancel season, our club are in a difficult voting position as we don't really know what the eventual outcome this is leading to. If the vote is to cancel the EFL then it will require a secondary question to ask, a) should the season be null and void b) should the season be decided on 'sporting merit'. If sporting merit is the outcome then a 3rd vote will be required on how to decide the means of deciding sporting merit. Do we as a club want to risk the outcome of those subsequent votes, or do we play safe in regard to the first question and vote for the season to be played out? We would probably like to have the answer to the 2nd and 3rd questions before voting on question 1, but the order of questions will be at the whim of the EFL. That's why I want our owners to be working tirelessly to ensure our interests are not compromised.

Reading this back I'm not sure I've articulated this too well, so apologies if that's the case, but I hope it makes sense!!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Of course, but the EFL will decide how the vote works, which will have huge significance to the eventual outcome. For instance do the 3 leagues decide together, or do they decide by individual league, or as suggested League 1 and League 2 are separated for voting purposes from the Championship, with likely different outcomes? Separating the leagues for voting purposes seems legally dubious to me, as it could be conceived to have been done to achieve a pre ordained outcome, and might not have otherwise happened. Maybe the EFL rules allow it though, I'm not sure.

Furthermore, if as seems likely the EFL set an initial question of clubs a) do you want to play out season b) or cancel season, our club are in a difficult voting position as we don't really know what the eventual outcome this is leading to. If the vote is to cancel the EFL then it will require a secondary question to ask, a) should the season be null and void b) should the season be decided on 'sporting merit'. If sporting merit is the outcome then a 3rd vote will be required on how to decide the means of deciding sporting merit. Do we as a club want to risk the outcome of those subsequent votes, or do we play safe in regard to the first question and vote for the season to be played out? We would probably like to have the answer to the 2nd and 3rd questions before voting on question 1, but the order of questions will be at the whim of the EFL. That's why I want our owners to be working tirelessly to ensure our interests are not compromised.

Reading this back I'm not sure I've articulated this too well, so apologies if that's the case, but I hope it makes sense!!
Apparently null and void is off the table. It’s likely to be
1) cancel the season? Yes or no?
2) which method to determine positions?
A,B or C

Legia Sky Blue

Apparently null and void is off the table. It’s likely to be
1) cancel the season? Yes or no?
2) which method to determine positions?
A,B or C

I wasn't aware this had been decided. How is the voting constituency being made up? Are the Leagues voting separately, or are all 71 clubs voting together?

Sick Boy

From what I understand all that is required is to sort out how final positions will be determined and that the decision to cancel has already been taken (from reading between the lines).

skybluebeast

You deal with what’s in front of you and hope things will be different
You’re from the fire fighting school of thought then, old fashioned and out dated.
Oh you mean bury your head in the sand - that’s what hoping things will be different means.
Things will be different if you change your approach to things and adapt.

kg82

You’re from the fire fighting school of thought then, old fashioned and out dated.

Oh you mean bury your head in the sand - that’s what hoping things will be different means.
Things will be different if you change your approach to things and adapt.
Why did you use the same quote 3 times?!

I don’t think anyone’s burying their head in the sand. Everyone’s got an opinion, but in the end it doesn’t really matter what we think. I’d love for the season to be played out. But if that’s off the table and the choices are get promoted or don’t get promoted, I’ll take get promoted with the asterisk.

mark82

if that’s the case we’re up... unless they do that weird “halfway through the season” bullshit

Halfway through the season would be 23 games. At 23 games the following would be the top 3:

1. Wycombe
2. Oxford
3. Coventry City

Note: we didn't hit 3rd until a little later, but taking points on each team's 23rd matchday still puts us 3rd.

Gibbo

Liam Walsh for me is the main target if we are promoted we have to try and sign that boy permanently
A central midfield of Kelly (struggling at the end of this season) and an other, is not a good thought.

On other matters if the choices are void or ppg, then for most clubs, it makes no odds either way, and that includes Peterboro. They stay down regardless of which option is chosen. Void = restart, PPG means they don't go up. They have no self interest apart from beggar thy neighbour.. I am assuming the halfway points tally is laughed out of court.

The only way the likes of Peterboro can be promoted will be if the season restarts - which looks very unlikely. Or am I missing something?

clint van damme

A central midfield of Kelly (struggling at the end of this season) and an other, is not a good thought.

On other matters if the choices are void or ppg, then for most clubs, it makes no odds either way, and that includes Peterboro. They stay down regardless of which option is chosen. Void = restart, PPG means they don't go up. They have no self interest apart from beggar thy neighbour.. I am assuming the halfway points tally is laughed out of court.

The only way the likes of Peterboro can be promoted will be if the season restarts - which looks very unlikely. Or am I missing something?

I don't think anyone expects Kelly to be the mainstay of a championship midfield.

Users who are viewing this thread