CET: Man Utd defender could come in, Richard Wood could go (1 Viewer)

oakey

Non league, you make some excellent points there and could be spot on.
However, I guess some of us expected the OUTs with only a few INs, with the youth team being first reserve. As it stands we can fill the team and bench without using the untried teenagers. Of course, once injuries set in it could be another story. To sum up, the squad looks better than many of us feared.
There could be a twist or two to come. Would you bet against 2 of the only 4 likely to invite a transfer fee being sold? I mean: Clarke, Thomas, Cody and Wood.
If we let 2 go I would be worried. We still need a goalscorer at the very least.

thechase

It's the ever diminishing return that means that this is a business plan guaranteed to entrench us in a downward spiral financially. Do you honesty see a sustainable future for CCFC as a L1 club, long term? Do you not think that our best chance of getting up is this season? Getting up would be the only way to help us financially. And that a reasonable "bounce-back" budget-which I don't believe we have-would be a sound investment?

SISU are carrying on stripping us bare and not adequately replacing quality. I think we're so used to failure we've been brainwashed into acceptance.

By only shopping in the Bargain Basement, ie freebies that clubs with money don't want, we are guaranteed to be signing quite a few duds. That in turn does a lot nore financial damage, as you are stuck with rubbish players on long deals.

Cairo looked good in pre-season: who's to say that the Frenchmen won't end up being just as big a flop? There's space for a few of these players, but not an entire squad made up of free transfers and youth players. Even our loans are other peoples youngsters. I don't think that will get us up. And that means next season we'll be much weaker still, financially and on the pitch.

Flip the argument and what happens if all the signings turn out to be gems and we get promoted? Im actually surprised to hear from you considering you were ending all association after selling Gael...what happened?

Sky Blue Kid

skybluedan87......The possibilities are endless, Auto-Promotion, Play-offs, Relegation, Mid table mediocrity, Administration, Liquidation........Auto-Promotion is a must, because the chances diminish significantly in the play-offs. I truly hope we can do it, and if we do, SISU have to invest heavily to bring in a squad that can exist in the Championship, or even back to back promotion to the Premiership.Where am I?......Damn, must have been dreaming again!

ajsccfc

@ ajsccfc....

Seems to me to be a Rangers reject!

From the very paragraph you quote:

On 4 July 2012, Fleck joined Football League One side Coventry City after he rejected his Rangers contract being taken over by Rangers Newco

He's a Rangers reject in the same way that Cranie, King, Gunnarsson and Westwood are Coventry rejects.

torchomatic

But there's also no guaranteeing the quality and success of players you pay a fee for. I guess it's a case of wait and see. I'm pretty optimistic though.

It's the ever diminishing return that means that this is a business plan guaranteed to entrench us in a downward spiral financially. Do you honesty see a sustainable future for CCFC as a L1 club, long term? Do you not think that our best chance of getting up is this season? Getting up would be the only way to help us financially. And that a reasonable "bounce-back" budget-which I don't believe we have-would be a sound investment?

SISU are carrying on stripping us bare and not adequately replacing quality. I think we're so used to failure we've been brainwashed into acceptance.

By only shopping in the Bargain Basement, ie freebies that clubs with money don't want, we are guaranteed to be signing quite a few duds. That in turn does a lot nore financial damage, as you are stuck with rubbish players on long deals.

Cairo looked good in pre-season: who's to say that the Frenchmen won't end up being just as big a flop? There's space for a few of these players, but not an entire squad made up of free transfers and youth players. Even our loans are other peoples youngsters. I don't think that will get us up. And that means next season we'll be much weaker still, financially and on the pitch.

Sky Blue Kid

Woody11462......You're right I read it wrong....I will now go with my original post......He was a Reserve in the French league for 3 years....played in the Swiss 2nd division?!?!? and was "No longer wanted" after 2 years. Went to Greece and became a squad player, making 46 apps over 2 years in which the team was Promoted to the Super-League and relegated the following season. Making him a "Top Flight" player for the lengthy time of ONE season

torchomatic

Why so determined to knock the players before they've even kicked a ball in anger. I'm genuinely interested.

Woody11462......You're right I read it wrong....I will now go with my original post......He was a Reserve in the French league for 3 years....played in the Swiss 2nd division?!?!? and was "No longer wanted" after 2 years. Went to Greece and became a squad player, making 46 apps over 2 years in which the team was Promoted to the Super-League and relegated the following season. Making him a "Top Flight" player for the lengthy time of ONE season

Sky Blue Kid

ajsccfc..............

Such a pity you didn't print ALL of what I wrote mate!

With first team chances in short supply at Rangers, Fleck agreed to move to Sheffield United on a season long loan at the end of the summer transfer window[12] but the deal subsequently fell through as the paperwork was not completed before the deadline.[13]
Fleck signed for Championship club Blackpool on loan in January 2012, despite renewed interest from Sheffield United.[14][15]
In June 2012, Fleck lodged an objection against his contract being transferred from Rangers to a new company set up by Charles Green.[16] PFA Scotland had previously commented that players were entitled to become free agents if they objected to the transfer.[17]
[edit] Coventry City

On 4 July 2012, Fleck joined Football League One side Coventry City after he rejected his Rangers contract being taken over by Rangers Newco

Fleck rejected the Rangers contract because he wanted 1st team football. Something he was never going to get at Ibrox.

NOW you can all make your own minds up as to whether Fleck is a reject or not.
PS. Fleck played 7 times for Blackpool, and forum views of the "Tangerines supporters" was not in the affirmative.

ajsccfc

I didn't quote all of it because it's just more text that doesn't say he's a Rangers reject. At all.

In fact, from the extra part - In June 2012, Fleck lodged an objection against his contract being transferred from Rangers to a new company set up by Charles Green.

That'd be Fleck making the decision, not Rangers. That's twice I've pointed this out, can you show me the part where Rangers cast him aside?

If you're that desperate to shit on our new signings before they've had a chance to even play a competitive game, why not just call him short and fat or point out that Steven Pressley was a bit rubbish?

Sky Blue Kid

@ajsccfc.........

For the third time, Fleck would not have got a game in the Rangers first team(Especially for Sutty) in the SPL:D
Fleck knew he wasn't in the reckoning at Ibrox so rejected the contract. FFS he has even been quoted in the CET he came to Coventry because he wants to play regularly.
No it's not like Westwood, Gunnarsson, Crainie etc etc, These players were FIRST team players Fleck wasn't...A BIG difference.

@Torchomatic......
The squad IS going in the right direction, but unlike you, I don't think this team is in the same class as the outgoing team.
If this team WAS as good as last seasons team......Why are there NO Championship teams making bids for them? Food for thought?

ajsccfc

Rangers aren't in the SPL. This is why he left. He chose us over the other teams mooted to be interested because he was going to play first team football for us, guaranteed. He's not a Rangers reject, because Rangers didn't reject him.

You're just clutching at any reason you can to slag off players you've yet to see play for some inexplicable reason.

stevo_ccfc

@ajsccfc.........

For the third time, Fleck would not have got a game in the Rangers first team(Especially for Sutty) in the SPL:D
Fleck knew he wasn't in the reckoning at Ibrox so rejected the contract. FFS he has even been quoted in the CET he came to Coventry because he wants to play regularly.
No it's not like Westwood, Gunnarsson, Crainie etc etc, These players were FIRST team players Fleck wasn't...A BIG difference.

@Torchomatic......
The squad IS going in the right direction, but unlike you, I don't think this team is in the same class as the outgoing team.
If this team WAS as good as last seasons team......Why are there NO Championship teams making bids for them? Food for thought?

Get your head out of your arse, every post today has been knocking the team you may be a fan but you are no supporter

TommyZoom

Fleck didn't actually leave because Rangers weren't in the SPL, he left because he didn't agree with the 'newco'. The decision that Rangers weren't going to be in the SPL was made after Fleck said he wouldn't transfer his contract for to them.

wood is on 6k a week, i am guessing 2 players on 3k a week would be better for the squad than 1 on 6??? Its a strange one Wood always looked the part but never really cemented his place in the 1st team. Although Thorn told Coleman he was the best centre back in the Championship back in 2008.

Again not too worried if he leaves we are building upwards in my eyes moving players on who havent really done it for us isnt a bad thing even though i do like him as a player

He was the best cb in the championship. The reason he could not cement a first team place is that he has had a long term injury in every season. If he could stay fit he would be massive for us, but with his injury history I would understand him being sold if a good price was offered.

Grendel

He was the best cb in the championship. The reason he could not cement a first team place is that he has had a long term injury in every season. If he could stay fit he would be massive for us, but with his injury history I would understand him being sold if a good price was offered.

He had one injury - last season.

Grendel

skybluedan87......The possibilities are endless, Auto-Promotion, Play-offs, Relegation, Mid table mediocrity, Administration, Liquidation........Auto-Promotion is a must, because the chances diminish significantly in the play-offs. I truly hope we can do it, and if we do, SISU have to invest heavily to bring in a squad that can exist in the Championship, or even back to back promotion to the Premiership.Where am I?......Damn, must have been dreaming again!

When you say "invest" I assume you mean just give money to the club with no guarantee of a return. Yes you are dreaming if you think SISU or anyone else will do this. So wake up to reality and live with it.

Grendel

I'm sure that there are loads of players out there that are far superior to those we have signed-who Thorn would love to sign-but who he can't, as their clubs want a fee. A balance sheet reckoning of ins/outs regarding cash would show a firm zero in the outgoings. That implies that we have zero transfer budget, ie "free transfers" only, and are not able to sign a player who is under contract no matter how much money we bring in sales. Yet everybody is singing from the rooftops about how wonderful this is, and how a load of players we've never seen in a pro game are gloing to walk the division!

It'd be interesting to hear what the last side to get promoted out of L1 without spending a single transfer fee on a player is? I thing you'll have to go back a very long way to find one. For that reason alone, it has to be playoffs as a best case scenario for us.

I am sure every manager would like money to spend. In this league few have it and if he did what would he spend it on £400,000 (not £200K) on an unfit and unproven striker or £600,000 on David Bell (he has said what a huge admirer he was of Bell).

Peterborough when they got promoted spent £400,000 admittedly but reduced their playing squad by 30% and raised nearly £3million in transfer fees. They did, however, have a manager from January with a proven track record of success.

How much of a factor do you apply to the manager? We have the worst in the division on win ratios - big handicap I'd say.

woody11462

Fair enough. But I will say the Greece league probably has less teams so 46 over two years may not be too bad given injuries/bans/squad rotation. All I'd say is I will reserve judgement until they have had a run of games in this country. AT has done ok in the past wit transfers so I'm happy to trust his judgement.

Astute

How much of a factor do you apply to the manager? We have the worst in the division on win ratios - big handicap I'd say.

2 stats that will change this season.

AT's win ratio

We have not lost a game in Div3 for nearly 50 years.

Grendel

2 stats that will change this season.

AT's win ratio

We have not lost a game in Div3 for nearly 50 years.

We haven't won many either.

cloughie

The firet poster is a WUM as noticed before

Challenge on where did this come from whooo 'it's a secret' WUM

Nonleagueherewecome

I am sure every manager would like money to spend. In this league few have it and if he did what would he spend it on £400,000 (not £200K) on an unfit and unproven striker or £600,000 on David Bell (he has said what a huge admirer he was of Bell).

Peterborough when they got promoted spent £400,000 admittedly but reduced their playing squad by 30% and raised nearly £3million in transfer fees. They did, however, have a manager from January with a proven track record of success.

But how much did Peterboro' spend the previous time they went up? Maybe not a huge amount, but over several seasons they steadily built up a side based on the best of Non-league: they broke the then-record fee for a non-league player several times. They didn't go up with a team of freebies and youth players-that's what we are trying to do, and if you listen to what Thorn says, it seems he's using that as an excuse already.

Grendel

But how much did Peterboro' spend the previous time they went up? Maybe not a huge amount, but over several seasons they steadily built up a side based on the best of Non-league: they broke the then-record fee for a non-league player several times. They didn't go up with a team of freebies and youth players-that's what we are trying to do, and if you listen to what Thorn says, it seems he's using that as an excuse already.

Well he will use any excuse he can to cover up his limitations. At least that is something we agree on.

Astute

So it is AT's fault already before we even kick a ball

RichieGunns

[RANT START]

What is it with these doubters???

I agree with Woody on this. Reserve your judgement and scorn for when the players have played 10 games. We're in League 1 now boy! We're not in the premiership, nor the championship. We get what we can and be happy with it. We can't attract the sort of players you believe we should be getting in. It's as simple as that!! Thorns track record of finding good players is high. Yeh he has the odd dud from time to time but what scout/manager hasn't?? We were never going to keep Keogh, he wanted to go and the club didn't want to lose possible transfer money, even though they would have quite happily kept him. The Same goes for Gunnarson, King etc. We wanted to keep them but they wanted out. Better this way, they did their time for us and then went somewhere else and good luck to them i say. But its just too early in the season to be saying all the players we've got in our shite. Haven't you heard the phrase "The past means little compared to the present". GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!!

Let me give you a comparison SBK! You get a job interview, your out of work and you really need this job + the job itself is great. It pays well and your pretty sure you fit the bill, so you head off for the interview and lo and behold your offered the job. The manager thinks you'll fit in nicely and some of your work colleges are pretty nice too but there are a few who just don't take to you. One day your stacking the shelves and you overhear a conversation between the assistant manager and a team leader "Yeh that new lad is a pile of shite. Don't understand why the boss employed him. Not worth my time or effort. I mean he doesn't have as much experience compared to the guy who left a few weeks back. I reckon he'll be gone in a few weeks time after the general review + i reckon he's a right nob". Your reaction? Your shocked and angered by their dismissal of you. They haven't even seen you work. They have no idea what you can do because they haven't taken the time to get to know you. You know you can do the job but you also know that the Assistant Manager could screw your review up for you. So you try to work as hard as you can to prove your worth to him.

This is exactly how i see the players situation. They want to prove to us that they can do the job they've been brought in to do. The players who are left behind from last season want to prove they can right the wrongs of last season and get us back into the Championship. They're gonna be bursting at the seems, wanting to show us fans that we have something to shout about again. Then there are negative people like you, who just can't see past your own cinissism! If you can't support our boys, then go support a team in the Championship (That goes for you Noneleagueherewecome - your very name is anathema to me!) because as far as im concerned, YOUR NOT WELCOME! I'm sorry if i hurt your feelings but im fed up to the nines of listening to your petty childish bickering:

"Oh they haven't signed any players this season, this is shit blah blah blah" or "Oh they signed a load of unknown shit players, this is crap blah blah blah"

So in my honest (and very blunt opinion) go do one!! Go find a club that isn't in financial turmial, that has money to buy the players you want to see and never show your doubting thomas faces at this club ever again...

[/RANT FINISHED]

Big Mo

Agreed, feels like some people need to cheer up or follow man city on sky.

Wake up, nobody wants us, we have no money, were in massive debt and in league one, were not a big club and we have no right to expect high profile signings.

Given this situation I think we've done well to balance the books as well as the overall squad makeup. does anyone really want us paying good money to the likes of wood and bell when we can get adequate replacements on half the wage?

People need to realise we are a business and spending more money unwisely will not help.

Sky Blue Kid

@ RichieGunns.....
[RANT START]

I couldn't give a frogs fat arse what you are saying mate.
People don't like facts(the word) but you're gonna get some.....
Thorn brought in every single player on Pro forms to this Club atm in time..FACT
SISU have paid out next to fook all over the last five years for decent players...FACT..before you say King..No transfer fee..FACT
Investment in a football club is paramount..FACT
With the exception of Keogh, and Cranie, and a couple of Academy kids(Who played their socks off) Not one of the rest even tried
Hence RELEGATION...FACT.
Mr Star trek Klingon, was an absolute disgrace, yet Thorn persisted in picking him....Bellend, what can I say? FOUR YEARS contract..:jerkit:.
Thorn is a nice guy, but the time for excuses has been and gone. This is a "Must get promotion season" for Thorn or he should walk.
Btw...Sonny boy! I've supported Coventry for over 50 years...Watched them grow from 3rd division under JH. to Prem, and sadly back down again.
I'm all for giving the new players a chance...AT as well......but I won't be told untruths. Admittedly Thorn has had restrictions from SHITSU, but he should grow a pair and stand up for himself.
There are managers, and there are MANAGERS!....Ian Holloway paid £500k for Charlie Adam, and had a few loanees, but got promoted to the Premier league.
Thorn paid £500k for Cody McDonald and had a few loanees......We got Relegated!:eek:
Anyone see where I'm going with this?
To finish, if you bothered to read my earlier posts, you would see I actually said....We should give the new boys at least 10 games to bed in, then we can make our minds up if we're good enough(Giving 2 Sunday league teams a good hiding is nothing to shout home about)
[RANT OVER]:jerkit:

Macca

@ RichieGunns.....
[RANT START]

Thorn brought in every single player on Pro forms to this Club atm in time..FACT
SISU have paid out next to fook all over the last five years for decent players...FACT..before you say King..No transfer fee..FACT
With the exception of Keogh, and Cranie, and a couple of Academy kids(Who played their socks off) Not one of the rest even tried
Hence RELEGATION...FACT.
Mr Star trek Klingon, was an absolute disgrace, yet Thorn persisted in picking him....Bellend, what can I say? FOUR YEARS contract..:jerkit:.
Thorn is a nice guy, but the time for excuses has been and gone. This is a "Must get promotion season" for Thorn or he should walk.
Btw...Sonny boy! I've supported Coventry for over 50 years...Watched them grow from 3rd division under JH. to Prem, and sadly back down again.
I'm all for giving the new players a chance...AT as well......but I won't be told untruths. Admittedly Thorn has had restrictions from SHITSU, but he should grow a pair and stand up for himself.
There are managers, and there are MANAGERS!....Ian Holloway paid £500k for Charlie Adam, and had a few loanees, but got promoted to the Premier league.
Thorn paid £500k for Cody McDonald and had a few loanees......We got Relegated!:eek:
To finish, if you bothered to read my earlier posts, you would see I actually said....We should give the new boys at least 10 games to bed in, then we can make our minds up if we're good enough(Giving 2 Sunday league teams a good hiding is nothing to shout home about)

Great post sbk but he s gained a good 2000 wum points there!

oakey

Sky blue kid,
If these are facts they cannot be disputed once they are supported with evidence. What you have there is a mixture of facts, opinions and prejudices.

stupot07

@ RichieGunns.....
[RANT START]

Hence RELEGATION...FACT.

Blackpool signed the following players in their promotion season:

Dj Campbell
Stephen dobbie
Andy butler
Barry bannan
Marcel siep
Jason euell
Charlie Adam
Ishmel Demontagnac
Neil earldly
Adam nowland
Hemar bouazza
Seams Coleman

If we'd have signed those last season instead of 2 keepers, Cody, Gardner (4 games), Herman,nimely and Norwood we'd have stayed up easily.

Sky Blue Kid

@ Oakey....

Where I've stated the word fact, is just that...fact.
Thorn DID bring in every player on Pro forms...Fact.
If SISU have paid out £1.5m in their 5 years tenure, that will be about it.(I can see what you mean about this one)
Until this present season, SISU have sold, let go, approx 30 players, and drafted in(Help me out here stupot07) approx....er..um....1......Cody McDonald!
We now have for the first time(Albeit free permanent signings) an influx of players
There is no getting away from the Keogh, Crainie and a couple of academy kids statement...We got Relegated..Fact.
Clingan, and Bell...It may be my opinion, but I think 99% of posters on here agree with me when I say they are shit! and did fook all for the CCFC cause.

@ stupot07.....

I think if we had Ian Holloway as manager we would haved pissed the Championship with that squad he brought into Bloomfield Rd.......And all Free signings except for Adam....DJ Campbell wasn't bought till the end of August after their promotion in that year.:)

Grendel

@ Oakey....

Where I've stated the word fact, is just that...fact.
Thorn DID bring in every player on Pro forms...Fact.
If SISU have paid out £1.5m in their 5 years tenure, that will be about it.(I can see what you mean about this one)
Until this present season, SISU have sold, let go, approx 30 players, and drafted in(Help me out here stupot07) approx....er..um....1......Cody McDonald!
We now have for the first time(Albeit free permanent signings) an influx of players
There is no getting away from the Keogh, Crainie and a couple of academy kids statement...We got Relegated..Fact.
Clingan, and Bell...It may be my opinion, but I think 99% of posters on here agree with me when I say they are shit! and did fook all for the CCFC cause.

@ stupot07.....

I think if we had Ian Holloway as manager we would haved pissed the Championship with that squad he brought into Bloomfield Rd.......And all Free signings except for Adam....DJ Campbell wasn't bought till the end of August after their promotion in that year.:)

SISU signings total at least £8million - Eastwood was £1.5 million alone.

Users who are viewing this thread