Ccfc....well supported (1 Viewer)

bamalamafizzfazz

Do you remember the game against Leeds 3-4 years ago when at one point we went on that unbeaten run and looked to pinch a play off place.28,000 at home, about 22,500 cov fans. That's what a little bit of hope does
I'm sure we still finished about 15th somehow lol

That game was a massive turning point for us. A huge attendance whilst the team had pulled in a few good results at the start of the season. In that game we bottled infront of a lot of fans who in my opinion would have come back as the football was very entertaining. Seem to remember the game after that the attendance was significantly lower. We had a great chance and we blew it, from that point onwards it was more a matter of when than if we go down.

covcity4life

get in the prem and we will get 25k avg minimum imo, we got relegated whilst prem has ciontinued to become bigger and bigger,it would be different if we got back up imo

BurbageSkyBlues

Hope, realistic hope, and interest, will bring the crowds back.

It is up to the club (players, owners & management teams) to generate this, initially. You can't expect youngsters (5 to 10 year olds) to automatically grow into sky blue fans, without catching their interests first. These are the supporters that we have been losing since we dropped out of the prem. The attendance figures of today reflect the last decade of emptiness. We have lost a generation of supporters, which normally would have replaced the older ones.

SkyblueBazza

There are other factors in the mix too...like other clubs in our locality. The Vile, WBA, Blues all within easy striking distance...Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs aren't too far a stretch for those keen enough. Then there's the price of a game in these economic times...& family pressures. If you have kids who do stuff on a Saturday morning or at a good standard that tends to take priority (& provides more satisfaction/VFM unless the Cov are successful). So yes we're back to the fact that the majority of people locally will happily come back & spend their hard-earned cash to watch...but there is little or nothing in it for them at present - everybody has their price & that works for (sell players for a good price), or against ("I'm not paying £x to watch that rubbish")

@richh87

Hope, realistic hope, and interest, will bring the crowds back.

It is up to the club (players, owners & management teams) to generate this, initially. You can't expect youngsters (5 to 10 year olds) to automatically grow into sky blue fans, without catching their interests first. These are the supporters that we have been losing since we dropped out of the prem. The attendance figures of today reflect the last decade of emptiness. We have lost a generation of supporters, which normally would have replaced the older ones.

This is 100% correct.

The club has been so depressingly poor for so long that the support has dwindled and aged. We're few in numbers and the ones who do go are on average old and want a quiet life.

Any change in the club's fortunes will have to be driven by the performances on the pitch.

stupot07

The problem with the club is that for the majority of Cov supporters, their support is conditional.

Sheff Wednesday 23,081 vs Dagenham and Redbridge in their first league one game at home
Norwich 25,217 vs Colchester (granted a local derby they lost 7-1 and Still managed to get 23.5k at their next home game vs Wycombe)
Sheff United vs Brentford 17.5k
Southampton vs Millwall 21.1k

All just been relegated, all feeling at a low ebb, all probably thinking (like us) that they should do well "in this league" and the fans turned out to back them.....then there's us....

Coventry city vs Sheffield united 12,621

Grendel

The problem with the club is that for the majority of Cov supporters, their support is conditional.

Sheff Wednesday 23,081 vs Dagenham and Redbridge in their first league one game at home
Norwich 25,217 vs Colchester (granted a local derby they lost 7-1 and Still managed to get 23.5k at their next home game vs Wycombe)

All just been relegated, all feeling at a low ebb, all probably thinking (like us) that they should do well "in this league" and the fans turned out to back them.....then there's us....

Yes this is where the well supported argument falls flat. We haven't finished in the top 6 of a division in 40 years but have still spent 75% of that time playing top flight football.

I would find it hard to believe clubs like Norwich, Leicester, forest etc. would ever have such a poor crowd on an opening game like that.

Greggs

The club is well supported. Fans have just shown their displeasure of the way the club is being run. Not only are fans unhappy with things behind the scenes, a lot of fans have struggled to bond with the stadium, so have stayed away. They'll be back though. Unsuprisingly it will coincide with the teams return to the Championship, whenever that maybe.

I disagree with this point. If we had won our all our games so far there would be 15-16k there on Sunday. And if come Christmas we were up there the fans would come. We got 12k 13k in last seasons relegation battles.
Cov fans have very short memories and are very easily pleased! A couple of competitive seasons, then a real title challenge and we would get 18k- 20K up there!
An immediate return to the Championship would be no good in my opinion.
PUSB

@richh87

Not as simple as that for me. Yo-yo clubs get far more support - and those clubs didn't have fans protesting against toss-pot owners.

I don't have a season ticket for the first time in 18 years; because I didn't expect SISU to see out the summer - and wanted to give them a nudge towards the door.

I've got to admit I feel like a shit supporter, not being at the Rioch to watch the game, but when we're crap I think to myself - i've dodged paying £20-£30 to be let down.

theprince

There are a number of reasons that has brought about the erosion of our gate. I go back to Jimmy Hills days when as kids if you weren't in the ground by 1 o'clock for a 3-15 kick-off, you wouldn't be able to see. Of course there were big differences, paying on the gate, reasonably priced and we had success, but i'll tell you were it started to go wrong, when Jimmy Hill the then chairman decided to go all seater, not by building new stands but converting terraces, reducing our capacity from 35000 to 21000 including away fans, that made it a capacity of around 19000 home fans, having to sit when they wanted to stand and sitting in the open on a cold rainy November night, whilst Hill and his coherts sat in the posh seats drinking their sherbets. Fans stopped going and got out of the habit but of course turned up for the big games FA cup etc.
In all our Prem years the home capacity was only about 19000 and about 2000 of those seats were restricted viewing because of stancheons in the way hence a regular home gate of about 17000 not that bad. Move it all on a few years and we have what we now have, the poorly thought out move from HR to the Ricoh, poor team, little sign of improvement, shite owners who ideally don't want to be here, a con-man as c-e-o with a grinning geordie side-kick spouting yarns and bullshit basically taking the piss and it costs to a lot of people too much. Anyone on minimum wage has to decide if spending 10% of their weekly wage on a poorly performing club in dire straights is appropriate. Our hope, only hope really is success sustained on the pitch, i am sure would move gates forward 5000, still only about 17/18000 though. The club needs a boost from somewhere and a massive one at that. The writing is on the wall regards our very future.

stupot07

Not as simple as that for me. Yo-yo clubs get far more support - and those clubs didn't have fans protesting against toss-pot owners.

I don't have a season ticket for the first time in 18 years; because I didn't expect SISU to see out the summer - and wanted to give them a nudge towards the door.

I've got to admit I feel like a shit supporter, not being at the Rioch to watch the game, but when we're crap I think to myself - i've dodged paying £20-£30 to be let down.

I know it's not as simple as that Rich but 12.5k vs the league title favourites and a big side is abysmal.

Like I said earlier, my best mate hasn't got a season ticket for the exact same reason as you, so I'm not getting at you. But a lot of the support to me seems conditional: -

- I'll start coming to games when marlon king has gone
- I'll start coming again when if we sign a 'big name'
- I'll start comng again if Wise gets the job
- I'll start coming again if we start winning
- I'll start coming again when Thorns gone
- I'll start coming again when SISU are gone

Again it's that vicious circle - lower gates, lower income, less money for players and a decent manager, shit results.

If we were getting 18-20k we could have probably afforded to keep Bigi and keogh, and signed a 'lambert' (£1.5m), Barnard (£1m) or a 'Holt' (£500k), instead we've go a load of freebies and paid only a small transfer fee for Barton (£100k).

skyblue1523

we do have a good fan base but we also have alot of glory hunters remember 1987 tickets were like rocking horse sh!t,we've had to win the last four games of the season to stay up everton had won the league and we had to win sell out crowd won 4-0.so the fan base is their we just need to win more.

skyblue1523

we do have a good fan base but we also have alot of glory hunters remember 1987 tickets were like rocking horse sh!t,we've had to win the last four games of the season to stay up everton had won the league and we had to win sell out crowd won 4-0.so the fan base is their we just need to win more.

Sick Boy

How can people complain that we had no success for years and years, yet we were in the top flight for 34 years?! When you consider the size of our club before Hill, you could argue we were successfully punching above our weight for a long time. It was not as as though we had great crowds then either, we would get big crowds for the bigger teams, just like now. For a city the size of Coventry, our support is pretty poor.

I could never understand why Ranson kept mentioning we would need consistent crowds of 22k for the club to be successful, if he had done his homework properly he would have realised that even when we were in the top flight our attendances would often be 10k lower than that!

Black6Osprey

Its all about winning at the end of the day which then brings in more supporters and new generations. No fan supports unconditionally. If you look at Sheff Wed which is one of the examples that has been given. Since 1980 they have had seven promotions plus other seasons where they were in the top 6 etc but didn't get promoted plus a league cup win. Of course to be promoted you must have been relegated but a season of mainly winning every couple of years will always bring in new supporters no matter what league you are in. You are always compared to the other teams in your league. In the Prem/Div 1 we struggled in the main and where regarded generally as being shit, the championship was the same and I hope we buck out of the trend. If Sheff Wed hadn't been promoted or got to any play offs for as long as we have there crowds would be down. They averaged 17000 in the first season in League 1 which was a drop of 6000 from the Championship the season before. This went up last season as it was a promotion year but if they'd have had another bad season that 17k would have dropped again. Now times that by what City have done and that's why we have low crowds for the size of the City.

Gint11

We're definitely a well supported club.

Population of Coventry 318,600
Last league attendance 10,285

And now look at the figures for Manchester United
Population of London and South-East England 16,809,100
Last League attendance 75,352

I think you'll agree these figures speak for themselves.

Theres grey areas in what you say here. There are more than 10,285 CCFC fans than whats attending games, theres lot of people who are glory supporting other teams that live in Coventry and Man United are arguably the biggest team in club football so of course there figures will be lots better.

theprince

Sheffield Wednesday are one of thse clubs with a huge fan base and will easily fill Hillsborough with anything like a half decent team strangely always higher than the Blades and to put Manchester United into the debate is plain daft to be honest they have always had a massive following from outside Manchester land for 50 years or more. I remember our few coaches parking in the Salford docks area years ago when United were struggling in the top division behind rows of Salop (Shropshire) and Goldliner coaches (Bormingham)

Black6Osprey

in the late 60's and 70's our crowds were in the mid 30,000s i

the first few seasons in the top league then div 1 we were the 6th best supported club in the country, as I remember that even though we struggled we had a good support

Yes but we had been promoted in front of 50K people. Winning increases crowds and future support. We had a large working class (car industry) population back then and footy cost very little to watch.

Its so expensive to watch footy now compared to then and its easy to understand why people don't want to bother forking out to ultimately go home pissed off having watched your team lose again.

Colonel Mustard

I remember support growing for CCFC at school back in the mid-90s. Kids were trading in their Leeds, Man Utd, Arsenal shirts for City ones. It'd be easy to link this to the big signings of the time, but it was really a social thing - meeting up with your mates on a Saturday to take in the game. Everybody wanted to be a part of it. That's a direction CCFC really ought to look at taking - perhaps make XXXX number of season tickets available for under-18s at an insanely knocked-down price.

ccfcway

Good support my arse. We may not get 10 thousand tomorrow.

1 out of every 30 residents of the entire city turn up and pay money to watch a crap footall team probabily lose whilst it is on tele for free

I'd say that was decent support.

Astute

1 out of every 30 residents of the entire city turn up and pay money to watch a crap footall team probabily lose whilst it is on tele for free

I'd say that was decent support.

Is that including those of us that travel from other parts of the country?

ccfcway

Is that including those of us that travel from other parts of the country?

yer, cause 99% of those came from cov ;)

not many other excuses

and so many of the people who have set up home in cov wouldnt go in a month of sundays, and why would they !

stupot07

yer, cause 99% of those came from cov ;)

not many other excuses

and so many of the people who have set up home in cov wouldnt go in a month of sundays, and why would they !

I would wager that there is more than 1% of the support that don't come from cov that attend week in week out.

Macca

I d go for the theory that nothing ever really happens to us bar the late 80 s and late 90 s. there never seems to be anything to get your teeth into for a sustained period. As someone else said, some of these other teams may have had relegations but also promotion campaigns, basically, stuff going on that provokes interest

Users who are viewing this thread