Ccfc....well supported (1 Viewer)

Evans020

I genuinely believe we are a well supported club..:confused:
Reason being .....no top 6 finish in 40 years(I believe) no play off push since relegation...basically ZERO success since 87..
Apart from the obvious teams..what other clubs our size would have 10-15000 every week still.
We have no ambition..no drive to succeed..yet we pull this many each week..personally I think its quite impressive.
Up until 5 years ago we averaged 19k and its slumped gradually since.
Thoughts???

PVA

I agree. People laugh at our attendances, but I actually think they're very good all things considered.

Evans020

Even in the prem, we always floated and toyed in the bottom half.hard to motivate fans that think the next season and the ones after are going to be the same old crap

hill83

For a city of our size, over 320000, it's poor. But I do agree with your reasoning.

Evans020

I also understand this..but look at Leeds united..everybody thinks they have great support..yet people per population that attend games is roughly the same maybe worse than ours.

skybluedaze

The club is well supported. Fans have just shown their displeasure of the way the club is being run. Not only are fans unhappy with things behind the scenes, a lot of fans have struggled to bond with the stadium, so have stayed away. They'll be back though. Unsuprisingly it will coincide with the teams return to the Championship, whenever that maybe.

hill83

I also understand this..but look at Leeds united..everybody thinks they have great support..yet people per population that attend games is roughly the same maybe worse than ours.

That's a good point actually, never looked at it like that.

Colonel Mustard

For a city of our size, over 320000, it's poor.

You can add another 100k+ if you factor in the broader catchment area. Our support is poor, period. It's a shame the club hasn't made a big marketing push to fill the ground since Jimmy Hill's time - nothing could make a bigger positive difference to its fortunes.

skybluegod

considering that their are 300,000+ thousand people and only 10,000 of them go to games it's poor, not all of them supporters but their must be at least 100,000 supporters surely?

stupot07

You can add another 100k+ if you factor in the broader catchment area. Our support is poor, period. It's a shame the club hasn't made a big marketing push to fill the ground since Jimmy Hill's time - nothing could make a bigger positive difference to its fortunes.

Warwickshire's about 550k.

Gint11

I genuinely believe we are a well supported club..:confused:
Reason being .....no top 6 finish in 40 years(I believe) no play off push since relegation...basically ZERO success since 87..
Apart from the obvious teams..what other clubs our size would have 10-15000 every week still.
We have no ambition..no drive to succeed..yet we pull this many each week..personally I think its quite impressive.
Up until 5 years ago we averaged 19k and its slumped gradually since.
Thoughts???

Completely agree with that.

PVA

considering that their are 300,000+ thousand people and only 10,000 of them go to games it's poor, not all of them supporters but their must be at least 100,000 supporters surely?

Really, you think 1 in every 3 people in Coventry supports CCFC?

I'd be surprised if 1 in 3 like football, let alone support CCFC.

Gint11

I agree with you but bear in mind not everyone likes football.

Astute

I remember when we were in the proper Div 1. The days where we could have only 8,000 for a top flight game. 12,000 was a good attendance unless it was one of the big clubs. The home seats would be taken up by people from Cov cheering on our opponents.

Our support is still better than it was in the 80's.

ccfc92

I remember when we were in the proper Div 1. The days where we could have only 8,000 for a top flight game. 12,000 was a good attendance unless it was one of the big clubs. The home seats would be taken up by people from Cov cheering on our opponents.

That's what I hate, people who turn up when the big teams are in town who dont support the home team. I imagine a lot of people in the home end at St. Mary's last week, abandoned S'oton and supported Man U during their stint in league 1 :mad::thinking about:

Macca

Spot on with that. You could expect 8-11 k for the smaller games. 15k for say everton, 18 for man utd and 20k plus for Liverpool mainly scousers

ccfc92

Spot on with that. You could expect 8-11 k for the smaller games. 15k for say everton, 18 for man utd and 20k plus for Liverpool mainly scousers

Imagine having 8-11k for smaller teams in this league :thinking about:

stupot07

I thought I would have look at the attendances since we moved to the Ricoh and the potential income from ticket sales (very rough estimate - attendance x 23 games x £20 ticket)

2005/06 * * 21,169 (Ricoh) est gate receipts £9,737,740, finished 8th
2006/07. * * 20,342, £9,357,320
2007/08. * * 19,123. * * * £8,837,980
2008/09. * * 17,407. * *£8,007,220
2009/10. * * 17,305. * * £7,960,300
2010/11. * 16,309. * * *£7,502,140
2011/12. * * 15,118. * * * £6,954,280
2012/13 * * * 11,354. * * * £5,222,840

No when you look at the figures it really is a vicious circle, i.e. shit results => less fans => less income => reduction in the quality of players => shit results => less fans => less income => reduction in quality of players.

Imagine the spending power in this we'd have in this league to buy a 'Lambert' or a 'Holt' if we had a following of 20k+ that Norwich and Southampton had in this league.

Astute

Imagine having 8-11k for smaller teams in this league :thinking about:

Bit of a difference when you think to be playing a similar level now to then would be getting between 8k and 11k in the Prem. It wasn't the fault of the football we played then though.

pusbccfc

I thought I would have look at the attendances since we moved to the Ricoh and the potential income from ticket sales (very rough estimate - attendance x 23 games x £20 ticket)

2005/06 * * 21,169 (Ricoh) est gate receipts £9,737,740, finished 8th
2006/07. * * 20,342, £9,357,320
2007/08. * * 19,123. * * * £8,837,980
2008/09. * * 17,407. * *£8,007,220
2009/10. * * 17,305. * * £7,960,300
2010/11. * 16,309. * * *£7,502,140
2011/12. * * 15,118. * * * £6,954,280
2012/13 * * * 11,354. * * * £5,222,840

No when you look at the figures it really is a vicious circle, i.e. shit results => less fans => less income => reduction in the quality of players => shit results => less fans => less income => reduction in quality of players.

Imagine the spending power in this we'd have in this league to buy a 'Lambert' or a 'Holt' if we had a following of 20k+ that Norwich and Southampton had in this league.

It's fantastic that we averaged 15k last year in a time where we were so far from safety before Christmas!

Tobias Fünke

We're definitely a well supported club.

Population of Coventry 318,600
Last league attendance 10,285

And now look at the figures for Manchester United
Population of London and South-East England 16,809,100
Last League attendance 75,352

I think you'll agree these figures speak for themselves.

Black6Osprey

I think the support is pretty good when you look at our lack of success over the years. Kids don't want to support teams that don't win. It was like that when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s and its the same now. My school was full of kids supporting the usual suspects mainly Liverpool and Man Utd back then and I was one of only 2 or 3 City fans and that was when we in the top flight. Coventry has also been populated over the years by people coming into the area for work from other areas. After the war to rebuild the City and then in the 60s and 70s with the automotive industry. Lots of people settled here but they obviously supported other teams.

BackRoomRummermill

Yes totally agree, we are well supported. When it is said and done there is defo a hardcore of fans of around 11K that would go in any league and well done to you guys of the 11K :D

stupot07

It's fantastic that we averaged 15k last year in a time where we were so far from safety before Christmas!

True but them again the likes of Southamptom (18,149), Norwich (24,542), Sheff Wed (23,179) and Sheff Utd (20,362) averaged far bigger crowds than us in their relegation season.

Black6Osprey

True but them again the likes of Southamptom (18,149), Norwich (24,542), Sheff Wed (23,179) and Sheff Utd (20,362) averaged far bigger crowds than us in their relegation season.

Its true but Coventry is such a mixed bag of cultures etc. Go to Sheffield and all you'll get is people born and bred there. Same with Norwich (not a clue about Saints to be honest). These teams do also get promoted from time to time, reach a play off, reach a cup final and win some games. We haven't done much of any of that in recent times.

cloughie

I think the support is pretty good when you look at our lack of success over the years. Kids don't want to support teams that don't win. It was like that when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s and its the same now. My school was full of kids supporting the usual suspects mainly Liverpool and Man Utd back then and I was one of only 2 or 3 City fans and that was when we in the top flight. Coventry has also been populated over the years by people coming into the area for work from other areas. After the war to rebuild the City and then in the 60s and 70s with the automotive industry. Lots of people settled here but they obviously supported other teams.

in the late 60's and 70's our crowds were in the mid 30,000s i

the first few seasons in the top league then div 1 we were the 6th best supported club in the country, as I remember that even though we struggled we had a good support

stupot07

Its true but Coventry is such a mixed bag of cultures etc. Go to Sheffield and all you'll get is people born and bred there. Same with Norwich (not a clue about Saints to be honest). These teams do also get promoted from time to time, reach a play off, reach a cup final and win some games. We haven't done much of any of that in recent times.

That's true, but warwickshire is quite stable 550k population, and would probably make up 50% of the crowds.

But then again we have got a fickle fan base - You had people staying away when we signed King saying they wouldn't go again until he's gone - they never came back. No you've people saying that they won't go until Sisu leave (my best mates in this category)......the more people stay away the more we have to slash the wage bill and the less that's in the transfer fund, and hence the quality of playing and management staff. Its a vicious circle. Plus shit crowds are hardly appealing to any potential investors or owners.

Evans020

Do you remember the game against Leeds 3-4 years ago when at one point we went on that unbeaten run and looked to pinch a play off place.28,000 at home, about 22,500 cov fans. That's what a little bit of hope does
I'm sure we still finished about 15th somehow lol

skyblue4ever

Do you remember the game against Leeds 3-4 years ago when at one point we went on that unbeaten run and looked to pinch a play off place.28,000 at home, about 22,500 cov fans. That's what a little bit of hope does
I'm sure we still finished about 15th somehow lol

Was that the game we lost 3-2 but Ben Turner playera blinder. Think that was his last game for us actually.

Evans020

Was that the game we lost 3-2 but Ben Turner playera blinder. Think that was his last game for us actually.

I can't think bit I'm sure we went on to lose at Cardiff and it ended any hope of play offs and we then slumped to about a further 7-8 losses lol, but attendance just dropped back to 16k after that

Users who are viewing this thread