CCFC take up 2 year extension at Ricoh (2 Viewers)

stupot07

Disappointed and hopeful in another respect.

Hopeful as Mr Anderson's previous interviews suggests staying at the Ricoh long term is an option. In the last few years this seemed to a complete no no. So it's nice to that it is now admitted that it's an option.
For me no one has ever properly explained how financing a stadium can in the long term be financially viable. So the suggestion makes no sense.

Disappointed as this announcement means another pointless two years. I presume this will be two years of legal wrangling and no stadium progress.

Hopefully in two years time we will get a long term or 20-30 year commitment. Or half the cost of building a new stadium spent on half of ACL.

I wouldn't say it means another pointless two years, this deal was already in place, and I honestly don't believe wasps would have agreed anywhere near as favourable terms on a new 10 year deal. If I was wasps I wouldn't.

After 2 years I really can't see us agreeing anything more than a 10 year deal at most, we certainly won't be paying £17-20m to buy half of ACL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

As said before it's all smoke and mirrors. We will stay at the Ricoh which suits both sides. Eventually a bridge will need to be crossed. Will WASPS want to remain in Coventry or call a day on their sojourn? If new owners are found for CCFC when we hit the premier league then maybe those new owners will be in a position to offer WASPS a 'too good to be true' offer to return to once they came? That's the perfect scenario but less likely. Perhaps new owners would find another suitable way to placate WASPS as we would be the major team at the Ricoh in terms of capacity filling, media coverage, sponsorship etc etc. It would become like a freight train if we hit the premier league, quite how WASPS would deal with that is difficult to imagine.
However floating these ideas around are useful in only demonstrating the difficulty both sides have if they ever contemplated 'sharing' ownership in some form.
The ink will remain wet on this one for some time but in the end a result will be found and it won't be a new stadium build unless the right land suddenly appeared and we were still in the premier league! For now and a good few years to come I suspect we will be remaining at the Ricoh.

How are we going to get into the PL when we have one of the lowest revenues in the championship and don't have an owner willing to throw in £13-15m pa to fund a promotion squad, in order to get the new owners you mention who then might try to buy the Ricoh of wasps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Moff

Wrong. Interested that people miss glaring BS sometimes from one journalist, but split hairs if necessary if another journalist doesn't follow the right party line. Just an observation.

Telegraph or Observer, Gilbert or Reid. They all spout BS just from a different angle, and if you think its just Reid you are burying your head in the sand.

martcov

Telegraph or Observer, Gilbert or Reid. They all spout BS just from a different angle, and if you think its just Reid you are burying your head in the sand.

I don't think that it is just Reid. I have never claimed that ( in my post I mentioned CT suppressing stories). Just think this story, and him twisting it around to say that his exclusive was confirmed, is particularly cheeky. Read the headline and story from the "butts exclusive" and then the latest article. I think it is blatant BS. Grendel claiming I said it was worse than the CT, and you suggesting that I am burying my head in the sand, show your respective automatic defence of any suggestion of "wrongdoing" by certain parties. Why invent things or suggest things without evidence to support your viewpoint?

Moff

I don't think that it is just Reid. I have never claimed that ( in my post I mentioned CT suppressing stories). Just think this story, and him twisting it around to say that his exclusive was confirmed, is particularly cheeky. Read the headline and story from the "butts exclusive" and then the latest article. I think it is blatant BS. Grendel claiming I said it was worse than the CT, and you suggesting that I am burying my head in the sand, show your respective automatic defence of any suggestion of "wrongdoing" by certain parties. Why invent things or suggest things without evidence to support your viewpoint?

Allright Mr Conspiracy, calm yourself.

I think based on your posting that you seem to attack Reid with regularity, but not the Telegraph. They all spout bull, and seem to be in a constant battle for one upmanship. It is shit for the public, and does the club and fans no good.

Its interesting you say my suggestion that you had your head in the sand is me showing an automatic defence of any suggestion of wrongdoing by certain parties, when I state that they all bullshit and are as bad as each other.

Perhaps you should reread my post as it seems I have slagged them both off, and I cant see any defence of anyone, so perhaps you could point it out.....or not.

martcov

Allright Mr Conspiracy, calm yourself.

I think based on your posting that you seem to attack Reid with regularity, but not the Telegraph. They all spout bull, and seem to be in a constant battle for one upmanship. It is shit for the public, and does the club and fans no good.

Its interesting you say my suggestion that you had your head in the sand is me showing an automatic defence of any suggestion of wrongdoing by certain parties, when I state that they all bullshit and are as bad as each other.

Perhaps you should reread my post as it seems I have slagged them both off, and I cant see any defence of anyone, so perhaps you could point it out.....or not.

Had I slagged off Gilbert would you have jumped on my post? I do not attack Reid regularly - but I do because of this story. You could have stated they are all bullshit and left me out of it, but no, you had to have a dig as I had criticised Reid. That was the automatic reaction. Unnecessary as I had criticised the CT about suppression of stories.

Moff

Had I slagged off Gilbert would you have jumped on my post? I do not attack Reid regularly - but I do because of this story. You could have stated they are all bullshit and left me out of it, but no, you had to have a dig as I had criticised Reid. That was the automatic reaction. Unnecessary as I had criticised the CT about suppression of stories.

Yes I would have said the same if you slagged off Gilbert. Reid is shit as well. To be fair to Simon, I have had a laugh with him on the site, and he has been more accesible than Mr Reid.

Posting on this site leaves you, me and everyone else open to debate and criticism. It was that, but not a dig, and I am sorry you thought it was. I thought it was disagreement as part of a debate. We both have more important things to do than squabble for the sake of it.

At the end of the day I stated a point, and you have answered it. You have slagged off both, I have slagged off both. We are still CCFC fans, and we both hope that one day we will wake up from the nightmare of divison one and our constant stream of crap useless owners.

martcov

Yes I would have said the same if you slagged off Gilbert. Reid is shit as well. To be fair to Simon, I have had a laugh with him on the site, and he has been more accesible than Mr Reid.

Posting on this site leaves you, me and everyone else open to debate and criticism. It was that, but not a dig, and I am sorry you thought it was. I thought it was disagreement as part of a debate. We both have more important things to do than squabble for the sake of it.

At the end of the day I stated a point, and you have answered it. You have slagged off both, I have slagged off both. We are still CCFC fans, and we both hope that one day we will wake up from the nightmare of divison one and our constant stream of crap useless owners.

I agree with you - nicht problem. As regards Simon, you could at least tell him what you thought. He took some Stick at times.

I think we are moving in the right direction to get our of this league. Anderson and Mowbray are good appointments tbf to the owners.

dongonzalos

I wouldn't say it means another pointless two years, this deal was already in place, and I honestly don't believe wasps would have agreed anywhere near as favourable terms on a new 10 year deal. If I was wasps I wouldn't.

After 2 years I really can't see us agreeing anything more than a 10 year deal at most, we certainly won't be paying £17-20m to buy half of ACL.

Sounds like we may pay twice that figure them for a stadium that is unlikely to generate as much revenue? If you believe building a stadium is financially viable.

Although I agree a ten year deal maybe more suitable not sure what the terms of it would be though and the benefit of that for either party

chiefdave

Makes sense, it would have bee the easiest option to move forward with. All is does really is punt the issue 2 years down the line. It was only ever going to be a problem if Wasps exercised their option to kick us out.

Would be interesting to know the FL view on this. We all know they are pretty useless but even they must have demanded to see evidence of something happening by now. So have they seen something that has given them enough confidence to not enforce the 10 year rule?

The Lurker

No it ends now and they are looking for new sponsors which they admitted May result in a period where it is nameless. I suspect the Ricoh final payment has long been made.

Who has admitted it will be nameless? And where does it say it's finished?

Calista

Makes sense, it would have bee the easiest option to move forward with. All is does really is punt the issue 2 years down the line. It was only ever going to be a problem if Wasps exercised their option to kick us out.

Would be interesting to know the FL view on this. We all know they are pretty useless but even they must have demanded to see evidence of something happening by now. So have they seen something that has given them enough confidence to not enforce the 10 year rule?[/QUOTE]

An interesting question, I'd forgotten about that. Or maybe they are just tired of the whole thing and are happy to park it for another couple of years.

btw CD - did you post this at 4am, or are you sipping cocktails on the beach in the Seychelles :)

Otis

Would be interesting to know the FL view on this. We all know they are pretty useless but even they must have demanded to see evidence of something happening by now. So have they seen something that has given them enough confidence to not enforce the 10 year rule?[/QUOTE]

An interesting question, I'd forgotten about that. Or maybe they are just tired of the whole thing and are happy to park it for another couple of years.

btw CD - did you post this at 4am, or are you sipping cocktails on the beach in the Seychelles :)
Better off than me then. I'm scooping poo from a parrot's tail with seashells.

shmmeee

Reid's observations are accurate. The club has looked at the Butts as an option.

Gilbert meanwhile deserves all that's thrown at him. Having fulfilled the role as the councils very own Lord Haw Haw on here when the going got tough he got going - as far away as possible. Pathetic.

Yeah alright. Les continually posts bullshit and gets sacked from his job for being too close to the story and you're all up his arse. Gilbert can't post a match report about us losing without you breaking out the tinfoil hat.

I think your credibility when it comes to assessing the media is pretty shot.

Hey I hear the Independent have an article about Madders leaving, let's hear your conspiracy theory there. Maybe Lebedev is having an affair with Ann Lucas?

Fucking joker.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah alright. Les continually posts bullshit and gets sacked from his job for being too close to the story and you're all up his arse. Gilbert can't post a match report about us losing without you breaking out the tinfoil hat.

I think your credibility when it comes to assessing the media is pretty shot.

Hey I hear the Independent have an article about Madders leaving, let's hear your conspiracy theory there. Maybe Lebedev is having an affair with Ann Lucas?

Fucking joker.
Simon doesn't post match reports

Didn't reid get a pay out settlement for it after he quit?

I'd say the local media is pretty shot.

Liquid Gold

We know that ACL was just treading water when we were paying £1.2m rent, I can't see how wasps are going to be paying £2m interest a year on their bonds and make this financially viable, especially with us only giving them £100k. I suspect they are banking on a decent sponsorship rights deal and if one isn't forthcoming then they may hit troubles.

The sands can shift a fair amount over 2 years, this deal allows us time to come up with alternatives but also pursue the judicial review and see if wasps financial position becomes more unstable. If they have been here for 3 years and are losing money hand over fist and are unable to attract investors they may cut their losses and buzz back to where they should be playing anyway

italiahorse

I think the sponsor (LR) will come in pretty quick now and the stadium name will change (LRS) in the new year.
No worse advertising than CCFC leaving in the summer for a stadium sponsor.
The 2 year deal will allow the legals to get out the way and we can then start from a known position.
Well done Sisu and Wasps :claping hands:

torchomatic

So, what about the revelations in the Council papers regarding the conduct of Mutton and Lucas. The CT supressing stories and cosying up to the council helping them out with their PR campaign against the club?

Are you deliberating ignoring that? Fucking joker is right.

Fucking joker.

torchomatic

italiahorse

We know that ACL was just treading water when we were paying £1.2m rent, I can't see how wasps are going to be paying £2m interest a year on their bonds and make this financially viable, especially with us only giving them £100k. I suspect they are banking on a decent sponsorship rights deal and if one isn't forthcoming then they may hit troubles.

The sands can shift a fair amount over 2 years, this deal allows us time to come up with alternatives but also pursue the judicial review and see if wasps financial position becomes more unstable. If they have been here for 3 years and are losing money hand over fist and are unable to attract investors they may cut their losses and buzz back to where they should be playing anyway

They will always get a sponsor, the question would be 'how much'.
As I said the delay on the CCFC deal would have a negative effect on any potential sponsorship deal.

wingy

Have wondered If JLR's attempt to buy Silverstone has been a factor here, whether it's necessary to sponsor a stadium when potentially owning their own venue?

Otis

I think the sponsor (LR) will come in pretty quick now and the stadium name will change (LRS) in the new year.
The 2 year deal will allow the legals to get out the way and we can then start from a known position.
Well done Sisu and Wasps :claping hands:

Be a cold day in hell before I say 'well done Wasps.' :whistle:

torchomatic

True, Italia. Fingers crossed that the cuckoos flee the nest sooner rather than later.

Could have said the same on the original CCFC/ACL deal. 'Only 50 years to go' and we know what happened to that.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
so.............

We are exactly where we all thought we would be. Other than some ink on a document nothing has changed. We are playing at the Ricoh and no alternative site has been secured, and it would seem that there are no serious detailed negotiations going on either at the BPA or any other site. The terms are the same and that still creates the same issues especially if we get promoted

The FL are happy because whilst CCFC are playing at the Ricoh (it still has that name on it), in Coventry, then they can exercise their discretion on any 10 year rule. Sensible really given that relationships might be built over next couple of years

There have been "talks" at BPA but no one is close to making an agreement despite what I think were misleading headlines in both local newspapers. Over the last 3 years there seems to have been lots of talks that led to nothing but got everyone's hopes up, on the odd occasion anything was reported. There is no deal, or anything close to one at the BPA as it stands. CRFC nor its chairman don't even own the all the land or lease yet!

Sponsors for the stadium name are being discussed apparently, whilst a successful CCFC have an effect on that is CCFC signing a 2 year deal key to what could be a 10 year commitment by said sponsor? Or are we at a step to something else?

Still petty squabbles in the local rags - both of which pride themselves on getting the facts right and yet repeatedly make mistakes. Sorry but am tired of the one-upmanship going on

I actually like the calm level headed approach of Mr Andersen, bit wordy at times but hey who am I to talk. He now has time to get the decision right

Situation normal ............ I suggest we concentrate on the things we can have more faith in ....... TM and his team

Just my opinion of course

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

They will always get a sponsor, the question would be 'how much'.
As I said the delay on the CCFC deal would have a negative effect on any potential sponsorship deal.

I agree there will always be someone wanting to pay for the sponsorship of the arena, as you said though, the question would be how much. I believe we are the major draw as the popularity of football still far outweighs Rugby. I imagine Ricoh paid what they did as they believed there was a chance of us becoming a premiership football club during the 10 year agreement and the exposure that comes with anything attached to that is enormous. I just cant see anybody willing to pay very much for the naming right of an arena that, in 2 years time, may just be for a rugby club that are seen on BT sport once every couple of months. As wasps have to raise this £2m a year plus any operating costs they have before break even they will be pretty anxious to get a deal tied down asap and that may mean agreeing something that is below the value of the Ricoh deal.

skybluetony176

So, what about the revelations in the Council papers regarding the conduct of Mutton and Lucas. The CT supressing stories and cosying up to the council helping them out with their PR campaign against the club?

Are you deliberating ignoring that? Fucking joker is right.

I keep asking but where are these suppressed stories? Since LR has been at the Observer I can't recall reading anything that hadn't already been printed in the CT either by him or by one of his former work mates. We're still waiting for the fabled smoking gun.

fernandopartridge

I keep asking but where are these suppressed stories? Since LR has been at the Observer I can't recall reading anything that hadn't already been printed in the CT either by him or by one of his former work mates. We're still waiting for the fabled smoking gun.
The story was that the council had decided to bail out ACL with public money.

At the time the CT was aware of it but sat on the story due to its cosy relationship with the council. Amazing really that a local paper would collude in such a way.

chiefdave

Yeah alright. Les continually posts bullshit and gets sacked from his job for being too close to the story and you're all up his arse.

Reid was given the push when he wouldn't tow the line with the CT / CCC agreement to suppress stories. He took action against the CT and won.

Thought we weren't on anyone's radar?

How would you have seen suppressed stories? From what came out at the ethics meeting CCC and the CT agreed to suppress the story of the ACL bailout. You could definitely argue that had that been made public it would have been to the football clubs advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread