CCFC take up 2 year extension at Ricoh (1 Viewer)

wingy

There was one article that suggested RICOH were considering extending to 15 years, sure it never happened in the end though.
As it was a ten year deal it would have ended in August.

ranstone

There was one article that suggested RICOH were considering extending to 15 years, sure it never happened in the end though.
As it was a ten year deal it would have ended in August.

August '15 is what I've read in several articles

shmmeee

We signed a two plus two deal I'm the first place. This is just that extension, I doubt it was negotiated again so why all the "why two years" comments?

stupot07

We signed a two plus two deal I'm the first place. This is just that extension, I doubt it was negotiated again so why all the "why two years" comments?

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

It was for 10 seasons I.e 2005-2006 etc... So 2015-2016 so it runs till next year

No it ends now and they are looking for new sponsors which they admitted May result in a period where it is nameless. I suspect the Ricoh final payment has long been made.

martcov

No it ends now and they are looking for new sponsors which they admitted May result in a period where it is nameless. I suspect the Ricoh final payment has long been made.

So, we will have a better idea of how much the naming rights are worth with CCFC if they are extended to fit with the 2 year Extension. Les Said that the plan was to build on the Butts site....what happened to that exklusive revelation btw ?

martcov

It was confirmed by the rugby club owner?

Oh great. When do we start? I read it that they looked at it. Discussed it. Then signed an extension of a cheap deal at the Ricoh - thus giving Anderson time to weigh up all options, whilst having a stadium big enough for a possible promotion.

martcov

Les said "build". No-one confirmed that. Just that they talked and found that the Butts wouldn't work. So a bit of "poetic licence" from Les. Maybe to help negotiations.

Grendel

Les said "build". No-one confirmed that. Just that they talked and found that the Butts wouldn't work. So a bit of "poetic licence" from Les. Maybe to help negotiations.

It's rather odd to see someone whose only interest in CCFC seems to be when les Reid writes in the Observer.

martcov

It's rather odd to see someone whose only interest in CCFC seems to be when les Reid writes in the Observer.

Wrong. Interested that people miss glaring BS sometimes from one journalist, but split hairs if necessary if another journalist doesn't follow the right party line. Just an observation.

simonregis

I'm surprised only one person mentioned how things would change if we were promoted. We have a bigger fan base than Wasps and would command a bigger name for ground sponsorship than them too.
It makes sense for Wasps to have us around and at some point in the future I can see the same owners for Wasps and City.

Grendel

Wrong. Interested that people miss glaring BS sometimes from one journalist, but split hairs if necessary if another journalist doesn't follow the right party line. Just an observation.

Reid's observations are accurate. The club has looked at the Butts as an option.

Gilbert meanwhile deserves all that's thrown at him. Having fulfilled the role as the councils very own Lord Haw Haw on here when the going got tough he got going - as far away as possible. Pathetic.

Grendel

I'm surprised only one person mentioned how things would change if we were promoted. We have a bigger fan base than Wasps and would command a bigger name for ground sponsorship than them too.
It makes sense for Wasps to have us around and at some point in the future I can see the same owners for Wasps and City.

Not a hope in hell.

stupot07

I can't see us ever having joint owners tbh, it will cost far too much to prop up a premier league rugby club and a football club that has aspirations of returning to the top flight. Can't see anyone wanting to take that on. If it did happen, that would be me gone.

Their are also negatives for wasps - we get promoted, the bigger our crowds, the more school kids we engage, the bigger media presence we will have, it will impact on wasps brand and identify as well their attendances, etc. Which is hugely important for them in the next 5-10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

fernandopartridge

Contractually it was only ever a guaranteed 2 year deal. The option for extension existed but probably on terms to agreed.

martcov

Reid's observations are accurate. The club has looked at the Butts as an option.

Gilbert meanwhile deserves all that's thrown at him. Having fulfilled the role as the councils very own Lord Haw Haw on here when the going got tough he got going - as far away as possible. Pathetic.

Have you reread the "build" revelation from Reid ( there is a link at the bottom of the latest article )? It was also repeated, by the guy buying the whole site, that the Butts was not suitable for CCFC for various reasons ( size restrictions, development costs etc. ). Totally different facts to claiming that the exclusive "building" report had been confirmed. Sorry, the CT may have supressed a story ( or two ;-) ), but this is embarrassing. I understand that Les is peeved, but this doesn't help his case.

Grendel

Have you reread the "build" revelation from Reid ( there is a link at the bottom of the latest article )? It was also repeated, by the guy buying the whole site, that the Butts was not suitable for CCFC for various reasons ( size restrictions, development costs etc. ). Totally different facts to claiming that the exclusive "building" report had been confirmed. Sorry, the CT may have supressed a story ( or two ;-) ), but this is embarrassing. I understand that Les is peeved, but this doesn't help his case.

The club looked at is as a potential site.

The person looking to actually purchase the lease clearly is not exactly going to go in print and state it is possible as they would massively increase the price he wants to pay.

To suggest this is worse than suppressing a story (or two) is frankly extraordinary. Also it's very telling regarding your subliminal thought process.

Chipfat

The club looked at possible sites, talked to possible Councils and went down the avenue of moving the club out of the city on a ground share. They have no idea what they are doing the only plan they have is a half arsed court case appeal and a false drawing on imaginary land. So i really don't care who wrote what for whatever reason, the fact is we are still at the Ricoh and still being played by the owners to our long term future.

Sisu have been terrible for this club and still today are showing no improvement in deciding our long term future, a few result is still not good enough if no long term plan is set. I am fed up of the coming and goings of personal, who really dont say anything of any value, just find a different way of telling us we fucked up and don't know how to turn it round. Les and Simon can write what they want or are told, it makes no difference, the clubs owners need to Build, Rent long term or sell.

Last edited:

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User

jumping into bed with sisu they'll catch an std!!

kmj5000

To remind you, this was Reid's catagoric statement : "The site identified by the Sky Blues to build a new stadium is the Butts Park Arena home of Coventry rugby club, the Observer can exclusively reveal”

You describe it as an accurate observation. I call it journalistic bullshit.

skybluetony176

The club looked at possible sites, talked to possible Councils and went down the avenue of moving the club out of the city on a ground share. They have no idea what they are doing the only plan they have is a half arsed court case appeal and a false drawing on imaginary land. So i really don't care who wrote what for whatever reason, the fact is we are still at the Ricoh and still being played by the owners to our long term future.

Sisu have been terrible for this club and still today are showing no improvement is deciding our long term future, a few result is still not good enough if no long term plan is set. I am fed coming and goings of personal, who really dont say anything of any value just find a different way of telling us we fucked up and don't know how to turn it round. Les and Simon can write what they want or are told it makes no difference, the clubs owners need to Build, Rent long term or sell.

Well said.

martcov

The club looked at is as a potential site.

The person looking to actually purchase the lease clearly is not exactly going to go in print and state it is possible as they would massively increase the price he wants to pay.

To suggest this is worse than suppressing a story (or two) is frankly extraordinary. Also it's very telling regarding your subliminal thought process.

The club looked at a potential site. End of story.

The guy who is selling probably knows what is going on.

I have not said that it is worse.

My thought process is that we are making progress and that the extension gives us time to make a detailed comparison of the options. Should we get promoted, we could pay the year's rent from one good gate. I think the appointment of an outsider as CEO, who has qualifications and experience with data-analysis is a great move. In comparison with Igwe and Dulux a much better choice. A better thought process than claiming that a 15000 stadium could be sufficient if one upped the price. - demand and supply.

James Smith

It would be great if we could secure something longer term to give us some stability. I agree that Wasps will probably need us to be there for the naming rights and for the rent to make bond payments.

dongonzalos

Disappointed and hopeful in another respect.

Hopeful as Mr Anderson's previous interviews suggests staying at the Ricoh long term is an option. In the last few years this seemed to a complete no no. So it's nice to that it is now admitted that it's an option.
For me no one has ever properly explained how financing a stadium can in the long term be financially viable. So the suggestion makes no sense.

Disappointed as this announcement means another pointless two years. I presume this will be two years of legal wrangling and no stadium progress.

Hopefully in two years time we will get a long term or 20-30 year commitment. Or half the cost of building a new stadium spent on half of ACL.

Paxman II

As said before it's all smoke and mirrors. We will stay at the Ricoh which suits both sides. Eventually a bridge will need to be crossed. Will WASPS want to remain in Coventry or call a day on their sojourn? If new owners are found for CCFC when we hit the premier league then maybe those new owners will be in a position to offer WASPS a 'too good to be true' offer to return to once they came? That's the perfect scenario but less likely. Perhaps new owners would find another suitable way to placate WASPS as we would be the major team at the Ricoh in terms of capacity filling, media coverage, sponsorship etc etc. It would become like a freight train if we hit the premier league, quite how WASPS would deal with that is difficult to imagine.
However floating these ideas around are useful in only demonstrating the difficulty both sides have if they ever contemplated 'sharing' ownership in some form.
The ink will remain wet on this one for some time but in the end a result will be found and it won't be a new stadium build unless the right land suddenly appeared and we were still in the premier league! For now and a good few years to come I suspect we will be remaining at the Ricoh.

martcov

Disappointed and hopeful in another respect.

Hopeful as Mr Anderson's previous interviews suggests staying at the Ricoh long term is an option. In the last few years this seemed to a complete no no. So it's nice to that it is now admitted that it's an option.
For me no one has ever properly explained how financing a stadium can in the long term be financially viable. So the suggestion makes no sense.

Disappointed as this announcement means another pointless two years. I presume this will be two years of legal wrangling and no stadium progress.

Hopefully in two years time we will get a long term or 20-30 year commitment. Or half the cost of building a new stadium spent on half of ACL.

It always was an option - if not the only option. It certainly isn't a pointless two years. Two years at a low rent whilst working on the long term future is a great deal. Less likely that we make a mistake whilst being under pressure. The value of us being at the Ricoh to the naming rights will now come out. Either they will be agreed at a high price for 10 years, meaning that CCFC is irrelevant, or the contract may be for 2 years to be renegotiated, or maybe with an increased price if CCFC sign up long term. Who knows, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

dongonzalos

It always was an option - if not the only option. It certainly isn't a pointless two years. Two years at a low rent whilst working on the long term future is a great deal. Less likely that we make a mistake whilst being under pressure. The value of us being at the Ricoh to the naming rights will now come out. Either they will be agreed at a high price for 10 years, meaning that CCFC is irrelevant, or the contract may be for 2 years to be renegotiated, or maybe with an increased price if CCFC sign up long term. Who knows, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I hope you are right. However personally I think us committingto nothing long term is alwats tied into to the JR. Also maybe a hope of Wasps struggling.
I think keeping the club funding itself on a short term basis suits whilst the battle of the JR continues. The one day when the legal action is finally finished however it pans out. I think not long afterwards our long term future will be resolved.

Last edited:

italiahorse

As I said. Tread water, get promoted, raise our profile and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread