CCFC Supports Rainbow Laces - Why? (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Of course it is, it's a carry on from all of the other bullshit threads that people avoid.

There was actually a decent response to the thread to start with, then the usual nonsense occurs.
Perhaps Thick Van damme should look up the definition of bile . It's not an accusation , it's an observation. It's an opinion . He can't let it go now. He's like a child jumping up and down . I don't make demands of him so if he thinks he can do the same of me he will be disappointed.
To say anyone is a fucking this or that is bile/ hatred but it's all over this site.

Nick

Administrator
Perhaps Thick Van damme should look up the definition of bile . It's not an accusation , it's an observation. It's an opinion . He can't let it go now. He's like a child jumping up and down . I don't make demands of him so if he thinks he can do the same of me he will be disappointed.
To say anyone is a fucking this or that is bile/ hatred but it's all over this site.

Perhaps there's a few people who need to grow the fuck up.

Sick Boy

Give it a fucking rest with your politics bickering, keep it in off topic or PM each other.

Other than about 5 or 6 people nobody else gives a shit about it all. I will even make you your own hidden forum you can go on and on and on and on in that doesn't bother anybody else if it makes you happy.
It’s not even politics bickering, it’s just purposely derailing threads now.

clint van damme

25 minutes ago

Jesus Christ . Just leave it alone.

10 minutes ago 😂😂

fernandopartridge

Well theres a surprise pricdick the lefty virtual signaller doesnt like your post.
a well thought out and unbiased post mate but unfortunately you will be cancelled and abused by the left wing mob on here who no doubt have just come back from their university lectures to tell you what a nasty biggot you are and free speech is great as long as it fits in with their own views and agenda.
just waiting for their vial replies now to attack you and anyone else who dares to speak their mind
I didn't go to university, just don't understand why you and him are bothered?

Ccfcisparks

Fucking hell just opened this thread for the first time

giphy.gif

JAM See

I'm a member of the Ku Klux Klan, I want to see burning crosses and people running round with pillow cases on there heads at every match other wise my rights to being a bigoted twat are being ignored, and I'll cry to the f.a. BBC and my local m.p. then you'll all be sorry .
I too want to see burning crosses.

That's why Kane should start over Dabo.

Otis

I'm a member of the Ku Klux Klan, I want to see burning crosses and people running round with pillow cases on there heads at every match other wise my rights to being a bigoted twat are being ignored, and I'll cry to the f.a. BBC and my local m.p. then you'll all be sorry .
Absolutely outrageous and unbelievable.

It's "their" not "there.

Disgruntled Sky Blue

I see the thread has been totally derailed! Would have responded to some of the posts much earlier but sadly work got in the way.

I was after a debate about something that is concerning for me but wanted to know what others for and against viewpoints were. On reflection my use of the word 'choices' may have been too insensitive for those who support LGTB+ and it only served to dilute my initial question. I also asked if it's not a choice then what is it? And based on some of the more thought out responses I can only conclude most believe they are born like it and an intrinsic part of their personality. I'm not so sure it's as simple as that but I cannot offer an alternative explanation but do struggle to accept any person to be first and foremost defined by their sexuality preference.

Duffer made a point saying the campaign was really about the LGBT community being accepted for who they are even in football. I agree they should but I'm unclear about why it is so necessary for the fanfare and the need for a spotlight on who they are sexually to be accepted? Why do I or anybody else need to know someone's sexuality preferences for them to take part in life's activities? Quite frankly I'd rather not know because it may get in the way of getting to know the person.

Can I just thank Mr Monkey, Riyadh and Stay up sky blues for taking the time to provide first hand experiences and to everyone one who provided a measured response. I do have my opinion and my OP was not intended to cause offence but rather to understand why the club should support the campaign. Coventry City FC or any other club are unlikely to turn away a fan or turn down a good player based on their sexuality so I'm still not sure that question has been answered successfully.

Anyway I appreciate that what I have asked has polarised opinions but I think it is good to have these kinds of debates without vitriol. If nothing else we can all be better informed regardless of agreement.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I see the thread has been totally derailed! Would have responded to some of the posts much earlier but sadly work got in the way.

I was after a debate about something that is concerning for me but wanted to know what others for and against viewpoints were. On reflection my use of the word 'choices' may have been too insensitive for those who support LGTB+ and it only served to dilute my initial question. I also asked if it's not a choice then what is it? And based on some of the more thought out responses I can only conclude most believe they are born like it and an intrinsic part of their personality. I'm not so sure it's as simple as that but I cannot offer an alternative explanation but do struggle to accept any person to be first and foremost defined by their sexuality preference.

Duffer made a point saying the campaign was really about the LGBT community being accepted for who they are even in football. I agree they should but I'm unclear about why it is so necessary for the fanfare and the need for a spotlight on who they are sexually to be accepted? Why do I or anybody else need to know someone's sexuality preferences for them to take part in life's activities? Quite frankly I'd rather not know because it may get in the way of getting to know the person.

Can I just thank Mr Monkey, Riyadh and Stay up sky blues for taking the time to provide first hand experiences and to everyone one who provided a measured response. I do have my opinion and my OP was not intended to cause offence but rather to understand why the club should support the campaign. Coventry City FC or any other club are unlikely to turn away a fan or turn down a good player based on their sexuality so I'm still not sure that question has been answered successfully.

Anyway I appreciate that what I have asked has polarised opinions but I think it is good to have these kinds of debates without vitriol. If nothing else we can all be better informed regardless of agreement.
It needs the spotlight because even now, players are terrified of the public finding out about their sexual preferences.

You’re not likely to abuse them for it, but unfortunately they’re are a lot who will. The spotlight highlights that they shouldn’t feel worried and that they’re accepted in football - homophobic abuse shouldn’t be tolerated

mr_monkey

You are welcome mate but please don't use the description of choice when describing someone's sexual preference as it is not insensitive but actually factually wrong

Football is the biggest sport in this country and the laces campaign is a way to show that they as a sport they support and stand by a group of people who are still subjected to some of the most vile and inhuman abuse all for the fact that they are attracted to people of the same sex

just feel yourself very lucky that you have never experienced anything like it as if you had I think your view would be very different

Also why is it concerning to you that we are wearing rainbow laces, will that affect your enjoyment of the game, if a player scores wearing them will you not celebrate the goal?

Last edited:

Finham

I'm glad the user posted this thread as if it educates even a few people, that will justify it. I can't be bothered to read it all, but hopefully he's been educated a bit too, or at least had food for thought. It's easy to feel sometimes like people are intruding on "your football" with all these social issues that need addressing, but it's important that fans are educated if the game is ever going to be an environment in which players feel it is OK to come out as gay.

To sum up:

1) There's nothing wrong with being gay-some gay people are even good at sport!
2) Of course it is nature not nurture: nothing's going to "turn you gay".
3) It is currently virtually impossible to be a high profile gay footballer and out. The most famous one here is a nonleague player I think, and that is a sad situation in this day and age. It's things like that which this campaign are aimed at.

Liquid Gold

I don't remember ever seeing a gay couple holding hands or having a kiss at a football ground and I've seen it many many times with straight couples.

There are always stories about footballers and their wags in the press but none of them have boyfriend or husband.

Both of those just being the case are statistically impossible.

Until people are comfortable to love the people they love without living in any fear then we need more rainbow laces.

rob9872

I don't remember ever seeing a gay couple holding hands or having a kiss at a football ground and I've seen it many many times with straight couples.

There are always stories about footballers and their wags in the press but none of them have boyfriend or husband.

Both of those just being the case are statistically impossible.

Until people are comfortable to love the people they love without living in any fear then we need more rainbow laces.
The only caveat I have to that is I don't particularly like seeing heterosexual couples overtly being affectionate and all over each other in public either. Could well be me that's the problem here, I just prefer everyone to keep it behind closed doors whatever their sexual preference.

Liquid Gold

The only caveat I have to that is I don't particularly like seeing heterosexual couples overtly being affectionate and all over each other in public either. Could well be me that's the problem here, I just prefer everyone to keep it behind closed doors whatever their sexual preference.
I mean, I tend to agree with you when people go overboard.

When there is a big crowd to get through or something I always hold Ms LGs hand or put an arm round her. I see loads of other doing the same but never two men. Some of that may be down to them thinking blokes can handle it better but I would want to make sure I didn't lose my parter if I were gay too.

Last edited:

JAM See

I sort of agree.

But to be fair to the young men I see at football, they do tend to keep their tendencies behind closed doors.

They go into the toilet cubicles in pairs, keep it quiet (which is not to be sniffed at), and come out again pretty quickly.

Otis

This is all very daft isn't it. How did it ever transcend into lefties and righties etc., I have no idea.

We are all born different and many people are born gay and has been said, you don't choose to be gay. That was what caused a few prickles and rightly so. You are what you are. You can't turn gay. It's not a choice

We do clearly need stuff like this rainbow laces campaign, because there is still a sigma out there and still no footballers are coming out and saying they are gay and that's because they are scared to do so.

Anyone should be able to come out and say they are gay, just the same as anyone should be able to say they are a Christian, or a Muslim, or a vegetarian, or vegan etc.

We should be in total support of anything that tries to educate people and expose prejudice.

Brighton Sky Blue

I suppose the answer to your question lies in that we have not had an openly gay and active player in this country since Justin Fashanu, despite there almost certainly being gay players in the top divisions. When we get to the stage where nobody cares and these players feel allowed to be who they are then the campaign has done its work and can be brought to a close.

Hutch11

Let me start this with the fact my daughter is gay and it makes not a slightest bit of difference to me who she is , how she is and how much I love her.
She tells me that friends of hers have openly chosen to be gay.
They experiment with each other , male and females then decide which they prefer.
They can also be in a long term relationship with someone from the same sex then an equally long term relationship with someone from the opposite.
Not sure if they're classed as gay, bi or hetro but choice is definitely involved

And none of the above is weird, wrong or unnatural

clint van damme

Can I ask why you think being gay happens in a different way to being straight?
I didn't make a conscious decision to be straight, it just happened as I'm sure it did with you. Why would being gay come about through some other process?

Brighton Sky Blue

Let me start this with the fact my daughter is gay and it makes not a slightest bit of difference to me who she is , how she is and how much I love her.
She tells me that friends of hers have openly chosen to be gay.
They experiment with each other , male and females then decide which they prefer.
They can also be in a long term relationship with someone from the same sex then an equally long term relationship with someone from the opposite.
Not sure if they're classed as gay, bi or hetro but choice is definitely involved

And none of the above is weird, wrong or unnatural

Then they’re bisexual.

Otis

Can I ask why you think being gay happens in a different way to being straight?
I didn't make a conscious decision to be straight, it just happened as I'm sure it did with you. Why would being gay come about through some other process?
Exactly. You are either a boy attracted to girls or a girl attracted to boys, or boy to boy, or girl to girl, or it can both and you are bisexual.

Users who are viewing this thread