CBS issues (6 Viewers)

GIMOC

He once said that CCFC were never any good at running a football stadium… I don’t remember not having a pitch to play on do you? I’m sure it was a tweet if you want to do some
Digging!

to be fair, we did have issues back in 2014 when we returned but that was sorted. Pitch

GIMOC

we didn’t own the ground or run it ACL then..

He was talking about highfield road when he sent the tweet as it was about the football club owning the Ricoh, at the time…

Maton is an idiot. Self Serving just like sisu and wasps. All parties looking after their own interests and not the clubs. That’s why we’re in this shit position. Sisu started all this 10 years ago and it’s escalated from there. No party is faultless in this and all to blame

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You would think so but a green fingered expert on here has said it takes about 9 weeks to lay a pitch seems long to me but ironically that takes us close to the Rugby League World Cup fixture due to be played there on the 21st of October.
I assume they meant growing it from scratch in situ, which would make for the most durable surface but the arena will never be used for long enough for that..

Just laying turf and then giving sufficient water and light to get the roots bedded in you could do in a lot less. This 'drop-in' pitch they're talking about that can be ready in under a week I reckon would be turf with soil so the roots are already established and relatively undisturbed. Just needs laying, watering and then making sure its flat.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Maton is an idiot. Self Serving just like sisu and wasps. All parties looking after their own interests and not the clubs. That’s why we’re in this shit position. Sisu started all this 10 years ago and it’s escalated from there. No party is faultless in this and all to blame
Christ if we’re going back 10 years to say SISU are at fault for an unplayable pitch - why don’t we go back 23 years and blame Richardson for his hair brained scheme to build a stadium we couldn’t afford

All wasps needed to do was to maintain the pitch properly throughout the summer. They couldn’t be arsed to do that. It’s entirely their fault.

Liquid Gold

You can’t all sides Wasps failing to provide a pitch which they are contractually obliged to do.

Liquid Gold

This one was funny too

B6LP18_CUAEoQhP
This needs to be sent to him on everything mentioning wasps

Voice_of_Reason

It matters not one iota if Wasps told CCFC they were not going to relay a new pitch. It matters not one iota if the CWG buggered up the pitch. The one and only relevance is the terms Wasps agreed to in the legal agreement they signed to provide a pitch fit for purpose for CCFC to play football. Everything else is irrelevant.

shmmeee

It matters not one iota if Wasps told CCFC they were not going to relay a new pitch. It matters not one iota if the CWG buggered up the pitch. The one and only relevance is the terms Wasps agreed to in the legal agreement they signed to provide a pitch fit for purpose for CCFC to play football. Everything else is irrelevant.

I mean really what matters is CCFC signed a deal that didn’t give them control over the pitch and didn’t raise concerns until just before the opening game when armchair fans had been saying it was an issue for weeks.

Wasps have been cunts, but there’s an element of fool me once here. Part of getting into bed with cunts is keeping your wits about you.

The kindest answer is that CCFC intentionally left it late to pile pressure on Wasps, which TBH isn’t really how I want the club used.

But like the stadium situation, going back five years to find someone to blame comes in a distant second to just getting some fucking football on in Coventry.

Nick

Administrator
So there was no concerns raised at all until then to Wasps, or just none raised publicly until there was a pitch inspection needed?

Tommo1993

The kindest answer is that CCFC intentionally left it late to pile pressure on Wasps, which TBH isn’t really how I want the club used.

100%. If this is another tactical blow from us to them, then it seems a bit of a careless swing that also results in great loss of club revenue. How much are SISU willing to stake the health of the club to kill wasps?

Nick

Administrator
So Wasps were unaware and thought the pitch was fine for Football? CCFC never said a thing to Wasps until a few days before the first game to make Wasps aware?

Just so I can try and get it right.

This is the pitch that has had an independent expert say it's unsafe to be played on. (Not just a bit shit, unsafe)

chiefdave

Didn't Leeds buy a pitch from somewhere or did I imagine it? Chelsea or Tottenham or somebody?
They did. Leeds pitch was fucked and they needed a drop in but obviously these things are grown to order not just sat there waiting in case someone needs one. Spurs had one that was being grown as they thought they'd need a replacement but decided they didn't need it so sold it on to Leeds.

Nick

Administrator
They did. Leeds pitch was fucked and they needed a drop in but obviously these things are grown to order not just sat there waiting in case someone needs one. Spurs had one that was being grown as they thought they'd need a replacement but decided they didn't need it so sold it on to Leeds.

Let's rob Villa's.

Reactions: AOM

sylus

sounds stupid i know, but what about us fans buying the pitch or contributing towards it. could it happen, like i said stupid idea, but trying to think of everything

David O'Day

Pretty much this

Nick

Administrator
sounds stupid i know, but what about us fans buying the pitch or contributing towards it. could it happen, like i said stupid idea, but trying to think of everything

How would that work? Would Wasps pay the fans back? Would the fans get a share of any events on the pitch?

Ccfcsj

Again it comes down to what happens when Wasps use the pitch and destroy it again (not only for them but other events) - we can't be looked at as a continuous cash cow

We pay for the pitch we should have a say on who uses it

chiefdave

I mean really what matters is CCFC signed a deal that didn’t give them control over the pitch and didn’t raise concerns until just before the opening game when armchair fans had been saying it was an issue for weeks.
Not really weeks is it. Look on the ground staffs twitter feed. Pitch looked fine before the CWG, sure we all know in an ideal world it needed replacing but I don't buy into this 'Wasp said they weren't replacing the pitch therefore we knew it would be unsafe' idea.

It wasn't until 29th July that people started flagging potential issues and we've been told that by point there were issues with access to the ground due to the security lockdown. The CWG 7s didn't finish until 31st and by the 5th there had been a ref in to inspect the pitch.

At most all you can really question the club on is what happened the Monday to Thursday of that week but we don't even know if the club had access to that stadium for that period.

Dominic H

Not really weeks is it. Look on the ground staffs twitter feed. Pitch looked fine before the CWG, sure we all know in an ideal world it needed replacing but I don't buy into this 'Wasp said they weren't replacing the pitch therefore we knew it would be unsafe' idea.

It wasn't until 29th July that people started flagging potential issues and we've been told that by point there were issues with access to the ground due to the security lockdown. The CWG 7s didn't finish until 31st and by the 5th there had been a ref in to inspect the pitch.

At most all you can really question the club on is what happened the Monday to Thursday of that week but we don't even know if the club had access to that stadium for that period.

We knew we wasn't getting a new pitch relayed in June so there was only gonna be one out come after all the rugby games had been played on a dead pitch. There should've been a plan set in place after we found out the pitch wasn't getting relayed and covered the worst case scenario which is what we are in now

Grendel

I knew some people who saw it in June and said then it was in a shocking state

GIMOC

You can’t all sides Wasps failing to provide a pitch which they are contractually obliged to do.
I agree but with everything going on, the club/sisu should say, we will pay for this 500k lay and play turf (It takes apparently a week) and we will bill you for this. At the minute, sisu are playing hardball (as they always) hoping wasps will go into admin. Short term sisu are killing the club again long term who knows what the outcome will be.

Sky Blue Pete

So there was no concerns raised at all until then to Wasps, or just none raised publicly until there was a pitch inspection needed?
Looks like it but they should have been on it. I know they understood ccfc would be playing away for the first 3 rounds of games. I understood this too and told people this was the case.
Dave has said the efl refused but I do wonder if Ccfc needed to play for cash flow purposes so maybe it wasn’t just the efl
Also it would have been great if Dave and Steven had spoken, sorted it and then sent a statement to say what was happening and when
I don’t buy the line that sisu are rubbing their hands with glee at this situation.
Hopeful of a resolution today

Last edited:

Grendel

I may be wrong but I don't recall post after post on here prior to the 7s suggesting the pitch would be so bad we wouldn't be able to play on it.

Well there wouldn’t be would there as no one had looked at it from a public perspective in any great detail

A handful of rugby games over a few days don’t make a perfectly playable pitch suddenly dangerous and unfit with no seemingly apparent solution to repair it

Grendel

So Wasps weren't maintaining it then?

Still, must be Boddy's fault.

Both parties knew it wasn’t being maintained. Since the concert it was in a state and no money was being spent on it at all

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread