Match Thread Cardiff City (A) (2 Viewers)

KenilworthSkyBlue

I dont necessarily think the season is dead despite last nights disapointing performance.

However winning at home is essential back up with consistent away draws or a win in one of three away games. A run needs to be put together March to Easter. We need to get some momentum back.

I agree, not convinced Tavares is ready or the answer?

Also agree on Jones. He is no worse than Allen or Shipley so may as well chuck him into the mix of squad rotation and game time? Shipley has 60 mins in his tank, with Eccles injured so I don't understand why Jones isn't given a chance?

I think in times of frustration, many fans will always look for an alternative to pin their hopes on.

If I remember rightly many did the same with Ponticelli a few years ago - and look where he is now.

It's a cliche but fans seriously need to understand the gulf in quality between U23s and first team Championship football. To put it into perspective Biamou was prolific during his short stint in the U23s whilst he was returning from injury.

Sky Blue Harry H

To have three of your four defensive midfielders injured/suspended at the same time is plain unlucky. It has coincided with having 2 of your main 3 front players out. Not SISU's fault. If we had a much bigger squad it is inevitable that the back ups will be of lower quality and results/performances will suffer, as they have done. Love the owners to give us more funds, but it hasn't done the likes of Bristol City, Cardiff City, Swansea etc much good. Hopefully our budget will increase next year and give us room to improve the squad - and I would think we'll be a more attractive proposition for players and for clubs loaning players, based on what MR/AV are doing. We need to accept that we will not always have a back up player for every position capable of consistently producing top level performances.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Waghorn signing been a total failure

Yeah it hasn't clicked at all with Waghorn unfortunately. It'll be interesting what Robins decides to do with him in the summer. Pointless loaning him out unless we can find a club that is willing to pay a significant proportion of his wages (which is unlikely), it'd be far too costly to mutually terminate his contract and I doubt there would be any suitors to take on his contract either.

Difficult issue for Robins to contend with in the summer.

Sky Blue Harry H

Waghorn signing been a total failure

Another who hasn't looked like he is fit yet; one of the reasons i keep banging on about only selecting 'fit' players, wherever possible. I think managing injuries can have a major impact on a season's performance. cov-id delayed games and compressed series of matches has exacerbated this.

johnwillomagic

Can’t understand why Some people are so far up MR’s backside they cannot criticise him and blame SISU entirely.

He got the side completely wrong last night and then he completely cocked up the subs as well - Cardiff’s squad and team were as weak as ours but blooded lots of youngsters and utilised subs far better than us.

His failure not to use his bench especially Jones and then complain players are tired is completely mind blowing.

I blame Robins for the defeat last night.

with injuries it might be worth a formation change in Saturday too but no chance he will do that sadly!

Hoping for 3 points Saturday but hope more than expectation.

Sky Blue Harry H

Can’t understand why Some people are so far up MR’s backside they cannot criticise him and blame SISU entirely.

He got the side completely wrong last night and then he completely cocked up the subs as well - Cardiff’s squad and team were as weak as ours but blooded lots of youngsters and utilised subs far better than us.

His failure not to use his bench especially Jones and then complain players are tired is completely mind blowing.

with injuries it might be worth a formation change in Saturday too but no chance he will do that sadly!

We were better than Cardiff first half

They had Doyle, Ikpeazu, Hugill, and other regular first teamers on the bench. We had a not yet fit Waghorn, and an as yet unproven JJ on the bench. The two benches were miles apart in terms of strength - particularly attacking wise. We could easily have got a point as well. Didn't work out, but not sure how you'd have altered things to guarantee a different result.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think in times of frustration, many fans will always look for an alternative to pin their hopes on.

If I remember rightly many did the same with Ponticelli a few years ago - and look where he is now.

It's a cliche but fans seriously need to understand the gulf in quality between U23s and first team Championship football. To put it into perspective Biamou was prolific during his short stint in the U23s whilst he was returning from injury.

With the lack of options up front and lack of pace in the side, I've been one of those seriously contemplating giving Tavares a run out in the last couple of games. Doesn't mean I think he's the bee's knees, or that I'm convinced he is the answer. But I'd rather we found out than spend week after week on here saying he should be given a chance because we don't know.

Like not asking a girl out. She might end up being a complete bitch but if you don't you'll spend far more time wondering 'what if'.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think last night showed the limitations of a small squad. Passed the ball around generally ok but basically ran out of steam physically & mentally. It needs to be freshened up but the injuries etc make that difficult. I hope if/when the playoffs become too much of a stretch MR gives some of the youngsters coming through some time on the pitch to prepare for next season

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The substitutions are often ridiculous. I was actually amazed he made one so early in the second half. Usually it is like a script.

I also agree about the anti-SISU rhetoric being used as a perfect get out for when the manager cocks up. There is no question that the owners are pretty toxic, but the manager knows the deal and I really think the team selections and changes are often leaving a bit to be desired. I also take the view that the last few transfer windows have been poor. No one is saying splash millions, but we need to be wise with what we have and there are a few players that have not been anywhere near good enough.

KenilworthSkyBlue

With the lack of options up front and lack of pace in the side, I've been one of those seriously contemplating giving Tavares a run out in the last couple of games. Doesn't mean I think he's the bee's knees, or that I'm convinced he is the answer. But I'd rather we found out than spend week after week on here saying he should be given a chance because we don't know.

Like not asking a girl out. She might end up being a complete bitch but if you don't you'll spend far more time wondering 'what if'.

I just don't see the value in sending him on in games that we're actively having to chase.

It reminds me of fans demanding for Bapaga to be featuring regularly last season when realistically if anything it probably would've done more harm than good to the player, and in equal stead would've likely contributed nothing to the team/final result.

Last edited:

Barnsley

Are you going to do the double over us on Saturday?

Simple answer is I don’t, I think our results this season have been the worst I’ve seen in my life time, I can’t recall any Barnsley team being in such a bad a position as this at this stage of the season. But this isn’t the worst team we’ve had, we’ve had much worse and avoided relegation on a number of occasions, we’re lacking a decent head coach and leader on the pitch, by on large this is a squad of players that finished 5th last season, so they must have something about them, performances have been improving recently, and we got a positive result last time out, but in my opinion the lack of confidence and belief will come flooding back as soon as we concede.

It’s a massive game for us, against a club who normally batter us on their own patch, so I can’t see anything but defeat, but anything can happen in football.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I just don't see the value in sending him on in games that we're actively having to chase.

It reminds me of fans demanding for Bapaga to be featuring regularly last season when realistically if anything it probably would've done more harm than good to the player, and in equal stead would've likely contributed nothing to the team/final result.
For me if we're chasing he game we need o try something different. If he gets us back into it he's lauded for it, if he doesn't he can hardly be blamed. Whereas if you're 2-3 goals up and the opposition get back into it, even if it's nothing to do with him, the connection will be made.

Difference with Bapaga is that Tavares is a bit older, has performed consistently in the U23's to deserve the chance to move up and plays in a position which we're currently very low on numbers, including he's different in his style to all the others in his position anyway.

Last season I was saying Bapaga hadn't done enough to show he was ready for first team yet and given how we've struggled at AM all season you'd think there would be a clamour for Bapaga right now as well, but there isn't.

It's all down to the fact he has done everything he can in the U23's to get some minutes for the first team. He may or may not be ready for that opportunity but he's earned the right to be given it.

johnwillomagic

I think we’ve injuries and how tired players are I’d have been tempted to switch formation tbh to either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1…Bidwell & Kane weren’t getting forward much and seemed tired anyway - I’d have had sheaf and Allen holding probably and would have played Jones, o’Hare & Waghorn even though he was very poor playing behind gyo.

I’d like to try this on Saturday but guessing we will stubbornly stick to wing backs….

Colin Steins Smile

Perhaps because two of the subs last night were contractual obligations and the other was a senior player who had been making waves about not playing?
Purely speculation of course
You're assessment sounds right - the two loans players will have clauses in their contracts regarding playing time, etc.
As for the Senior player - he was a gamble transfer given his injury record last season and if he's making a bit of a fuss then MR tends to deal ruthlessly with disruptors. He might find himself playing in L1 next season.

SBT

This idea that we’ll never know if he’s good enough until we play him is ridiculous. Why doesn’t it also apply to Marcus Hillsner, or Sky Blue Sam?

That said, I’m at the stage where I want Tavares to play soon, if only because it might stop people prattling on about him.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This idea that we’ll never know if he’s good enough until we play him is ridiculous. Why doesn’t it also apply to Marcus Hillsner, or Sky Blue Sam?

That said, I’m at the stage where I want Tavares to play soon, if only because it might stop people prattling on about him.

Because he's done enough in the U23 to warrant the chance to step up. Hilssner never did.

He's scoring a lot of goals at that level, which suggests he needs a bigger challenge. A loan would likely be better but as that's not an option now, why not utilise him as part of that squad. Yes, Championship is a big step up and it may be too much of a challenge for him, but when we've got a very depleted strikeforce playing a lot of minutes in quick succession why not bring him on as a wildcard that the opposition won't know much about and offers something a bit different with his pace, especially if we're chasing the game and need a goal. He's got the chance to be the hero but if he doesn't manage it you can't pin the blame on him unless he misses an absolute sitter (which we seem to miss a lot of anyway).

SBT

Because he's done enough in the U23 to warrant the chance to step up. Hilssner never did.

The top scorers from the last four seasons in the Professional Development League (and their current clubs) are:

Sam Dalby (Southend - National League)
Dan Agyei (Crewe - League One)
Connor Hall (Chorley - National League North)
Louis Britton (Waterford - League of Ireland First Division)

Which of those would you want playing for us this year?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

The top scorers from the last four seasons in the Professional Development League (and their current clubs) are:

Dan Agyei

Frostie

Incidentally, I watched Chorley last weekend & Connor Hall didn't get a sniff against what is a pretty poor Leamington side.

Grendel

He's scoring a lot of goals at that level, which suggests he needs a bigger challenge. A loan would likely be better but as that's not an option now, why not utilise him as part of that squad. Yes, Championship is a big step up and it may be too much of a challenge for him, but when we've got a very depleted strikeforce playing a lot of minutes in quick succession why not bring him on as a wildcard that the opposition won't know much about and offers something a bit different with his pace, especially if we're chasing the game and need a goal. He's got the chance to be the hero but if he doesn't manage it you can't pin the blame on him unless he misses an absolute sitter (which we seem to miss a lot of anyway).

utter shite at least your football knowledge is consistent with your political acumen

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

utter shite at least your football knowledge is consistent with your political acumen

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's spot on though. Jack McBean scored for fun in the reserves but was that bad at football he doesn't even play any more. It's a joke level and teams at Championship level are not going to be caught out by a 'wildcard' because he can run fast.
He got 7 in the time he was with us. 2 less than Devon Kelly-Evans scored in the same season. Hardly scoring for fun.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thanks, remind me what level Devon is playing at
You're the one that brought up Jack McBean scoring for fun in the U23. I just pointed out he wasn't.

I fail to see why you and others can't see the reasoning to at least try him out right now.

1. We're only got 1 fully fit first team striker
2. That striker has playing a lot of minutes in a short space of time as a lone frontman, often with little support from midfield. He's going to be tired and if we're not careful he's going to get injured too.
3. People complain that we've been missing chances, but that the only thing Tavares does is score chances. Isn't that what we're calling out for?
4. We're a team devoid of pace, which he has.
5. He has actually played in over 25 games in League 1, so has some experience of first team football.

For example, his strike rate this season is the same as that of Godden at that level (a goal a game) and twice that of Walker (a goal every two games). Surely given their age, size, first team experience etc. they should both have a much better record than him playing against kids?

Users who are viewing this thread