Match Thread Cardiff City (A) (1 Viewer)

PVA

At this point in the summer i just want 2 championship level players at least in every position

We simply don't have the resources for that. We can't afford to pay 22 championship wages at the moment.

Hence we have League One level players filling out the bench/squad player roles - Kelly, Allen, Jones, Shipley etc

Brighton Sky Blue

It was unbelievable pal, a fantastic season. And we watched it all on the fucking internet, with two absolute bell ends providing the commentary.

You got to see the playoffs live at least and your best league finish in decades. As it is we will end up on last season’s tally while memories of the first dozen games distort perspective of progress

Frostie

We simply don't have the resources for that. We can't afford to pay 22 championship wages at the moment.

Hence we have League One level players filling out the bench/squad player roles - Kelly, Allen, Jones, Shipley etc

Yep, that's where we're at unfortunately.
I know it's frustrating for us as fans but it's simply not possible to churn a League 2 squad to become a Top 6 Championship team this quickly on our budget.

PVA

I know it's frustrating for us as fans but it's simply not possible to churn a League 2 squad to become a Top 6 Championship team this quickly on our budget.

Absolutely.

I think we've done brilliantly well to improve the squad so much since we got promoted.

This time last year we had the likes of Jordan Thompson on the bench

But we can't just click our fingers and have 23 championship quality players overnight

Brighton Sky Blue

Of course, but equally are we taking ourselves seriously as a club in this league or are we still seeing ourselves as a plucky League 1 outfit just glad to be here at all?

The question seems moot as the owners are the real barrier to progress and they have no interest in changing tack

larry_david

Morison on Bagan: ‘We embarrassed him in the dressing room because of how good he was! He made them take a player off, his opposite number. He was thrown in the deep end and it was tough for him. Now Alfie has got to try and move Joel out because he was man of the match

Funny what can happen when you give a young player a chance

Sick Boy

Unfortunately next season I think we’re likely to regress and it’s going to be much tougher. All the talk of solid foundations being built is nonsense, much the same as we’re always stronger in the second half of the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Morison on Bagan: ‘We embarrassed him in the dressing room because of how good he was! He made them take a player off, his opposite number. He was thrown in the deep end and it was tough for him. Now Alfie has got to try and move Joel out because he was man of the match

Funny what can happen when you give a young player a chance

He didn’t make that change happen they’re set on default regardless of match context.

Morison’s genius 37th minute sub achieved nothing and his side did nothing in the second half except score twice. Irritates me to fuck with these bang average managers

Evo1883

Disappointing evening , never looked like winning that , we did a lot of nothing to be honest .
It's disappointing more so as cardiff were a very poor side , just that we were poor too .

The squad starting to look a bit tired now , and it showed tonight .

We move but the schedule is hectic

larry_david

Does MR make changes to affect the match or just do planned subs no matter what. I think we all could have predicted those changes. I called Shipley on 60, so did someone else.

I'm frustrated. There's players on our bench who haven't played a minute of footy for weeks if not the season and MR is talking about us being fucked. If they're not good enough,why even have them there in the first place.

CCFC54321

Another problem is that we have the same players consistently over the last two seasons injured all the time… godden, Kelly and Dabo…. There very good championship players but consistently injured and having a thin squad highlights this even more.

We have another who can’t behave on the pitch in hamer and a young kid in Eccles who also appears to have injury challenges all the time. This can’t continue and is holding the club back.

I get it all clubs have injuries as that’s the nature of the sport but were not a bloody charity. It’s frustrating.

SlowerThanPlatt

Another problem is that we have the same players consistently over the last two seasons injured all the time… godden, Kelly and Dabo…. There very good championship players but consistently injured and having a thin squad highlights this even more.

We have another who can’t behave on the pitch in hamer and a young kid in Eccles who also appears to have injury challenges all the time. This can’t continue and is holding the club back.

I get it all clubs have injuries as that’s the nature of the sport but were not a bloody charity. It’s frustrating.
Kelly and Dabo very good Championship players?

Liquid Gold

Why can't we afford it. We've got above average attendances, record season ticket sales and, apparently, the best deal we've ever had at the arena?

People delighted with the ownership cos we used to play Exeter though.

Liquid Gold

Tonight showed the worst of Robins' character imo.

Despite all the great times he's bought us and how he's progressed everything he still loves an away point far too much.

From the first 5 minutes you could see we were happy to keep possession and go side to side with no real intent. The injuries suspensions and tiredness only gives him the extra impetus to not bother with the forward play.

8 of them are out there for 90 minutes regardless and he gets to swap a few round, I don't think expecting a little bit of inventiveness is too much.

TLDR - Robins settling for the point before KO could have cost us all 3 against a shite side.

ccfc1234

Kane isn’t fit to play 90 mins. The only way to avoid that sub would’ve been to start Maatsen at RWB.
Is he not fit to play 90? Must have missed that in the press.

Let's be real if a player can play 70 at LWB they can cope slotting in at RB for the last 20 mins.

fernandopartridge

Said it on the match thread last week that the signings of Kane and Bidwell have troubled me. They're very average championship wingbacks, on longish contracts taking up a decent chunk of the budget with 0 resale value. All signs are pointing to a fire sale of our stars in the summer in order to allow re-investment, but more signings like them and we're just going to be a boring lower table Champ side.
I know I'll get pelters for suggesting it but once the gloss of being back at the CBS/live footy wears off and crowds start to dwindle, I predict it will be an ever decreasing circle for a season or 2 with us ending up back in L1.
Yes, it does feel a bit inevitable. It's also fair to say that some of our stars eg Gyok and O'Hare were not necessarily purchased as part of any masterplan just loan signings we were able to make permanent.

johnwillomagic

Tonight showed the worst of Robins' character imo.

Despite all the great times he's bought us and how he's progressed everything he still loves an away point far too much.

From the first 5 minutes you could see we were happy to keep possession and go side to side with no real intent. The injuries suspensions and tiredness only gives him the extra impetus to not bother with the forward play.

8 of them are out there for 90 minutes regardless and he gets to swap a few round, I don't think expecting a little bit of inventiveness is too much.

TLDR - Robins settling for the point before KO could have cost us all 3 against a shite side.

johnwillomagic

Jodi Jones still doesn’t get on the pitch….we make the same predictable subs….the players are tired but we don’t utilise the subs bench at all…..Cardiff if they had them would have utilised Jones & Tavares….sorry we can’t moan we are tired if we don’t utilise squad or rotate enough!

Cardiff don’t have 22 championship players either in reality….they started with a weak 11 and utilised their bench far better than we did!

pusbccfc

Once again proved how important Hamer is to us, when he's not playing. One of the best midfielders at this level. Let's hope we can sort the contract and continue to work on his weaknesses.

CCFC54321

I’ll be shocked if the players don’t return to training until Friday who played. They need a break and simply use Friday for shape work for the Barnsley game.

coop

We've looked awful last two games our plan is to obvious the two wing backs are just not good enough and the centres halves have no pace. I've read on here people think Rose is the best CB at the club his football skills are awful.

Brighton Sky Blue

Still pissed off to be honest and not particularly about the result but the reason for it and that’s just not going to change as long as we have owners like these. We really could have had a go this year.

Reactions: AOM

Macca

Since November we have 17 points from 15 games. That feels like a fair amount of time ( third of a season) to call it as it is. We are a team that is good enough to be safe that had a purple patch early on that raised unsustainable dreams of promotion.
We have been ineffective though sideways possession pretty for a good while now

NorthernWisdom

We do. But he's not willing to say what needs to be said in public-he's working for people who wouldn't care if we lost every week as long as they could continue taking their pound of flesh. What a difference just one extra bit of quality going forward would have made tonight and many others.

Money was offered to get Shipley off our hands and attempt to get an improvement. We decided not to because he had a half decent game against Peterborough and scored against QPR. It was short termist and already now looks daft
People always criticise their employers in public interviews, tends to go down exceptionally well and make for a fine working relationship.

Colin Steins Smile

Why can't we afford it. We've got above average attendances, record season ticket sales and, apparently, the best deal we've ever had at the arena?

People delighted with the ownership cos we used to play Exeter though.
Regarding finances at the club I’m wondering what the accounts will show for last season when they’re submitted to companies house.
It might show a significant loss, on top of the FA loan, which is being partly repaid this year.
Certainly our business model puts us at a disadvantage to other Clubs whose owners pump money in via issuing more shares

Brighton Sky Blue

People always criticise their employers in public interviews, tends to go down exceptionally well and make for a fine working relationship.

I mean nor does abusing your pet on camera but if your value to the organisation exceeds the crime then it’s a different matter. He doesn’t have to go full barrels but he could easily hint at the owners being the problem without explicitly saying it.

NorthernWisdom

I mean nor does abusing your pet on camera but if your value to the organisation exceeds the crime then it’s a different matter. He doesn’t have to go full barrels but he could easily hint at the owners being the problem without explicitly saying it.
Well the former probably does have ramifications ref: team spirit, yes.

I must go out in public and say my employers are unsupportive shits, it'll go well I'm sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread