Burnley striker.... (2 Viewers)

SBT

All summer long they have clearly been struggling for something to write, hence the tedious pieces about "Venus confident of signings soon" and "Mowbray bides his time on signings", trying to pretend there's a story when there's no news at all. It would be better to be honest and simply mention that there's no news on that transfer front, rather than try to spin a desperately thin article out of it pretending that anything newsworthy is going on.

I find this attitude hilarious. None of those story ideas you mention are "pretend", they're based on interviews that journalists have secured and conducted themselves. Then they parse the most newsworthy lines and turn it into a story. Newsgathering 101. Any journalist who spends the day driving to Ryton and talking to TM before coming back to the office to announce "No news today, boss" probably won't have a job by the end of the week.

Now this isn't to say that every story they churn out is going to be a masterpiece (although I bet you still read a few regardless, right?). But if you got your wish, and the CT decided to only cover CCFC transfers when it had a blockbuster exclusive to run on the back page, you'd probably be the first person to complain the paper was ignoring us. In fact, most people would probably say it was a Wasps conspiracy.

shelby76

Agyei will tear up trees!! Jone was out for 1 or 2 season injured at daggs so what look how good he turned out! Lads a top signing he will get experience.

shmmeee

I've got a feeling hell do well. Which probably means he's shite, but I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.

Still like another CB, a RB and some pace in the AM area.

oucho

I find this attitude hilarious. None of those story ideas you mention are "pretend", they're based on interviews that journalists have secured and conducted themselves. Then they parse the most newsworthy lines and turn it into a story. Newsgathering 101. Any journalist who spends the day driving to Ryton and talking to TM before coming back to the office to announce "No news today, boss" probably won't have a job by the end of the week.

Now this isn't to say that every story they churn out is going to be a masterpiece (although I bet you still read a few regardless, right?). But if you got your wish, and the CT decided to only cover CCFC transfers when it had a blockbuster exclusive to run on the back page, you'd probably be the first person to complain the paper was ignoring us. In fact, most people would probably say it was a Wasps conspiracy.
Just think it makes them look crap when they publish stories with no substance or transparently try to pretend that there is any news when there isn't.

Captain Dart

The report has got today's date on it. Funnily enough, I originally saw the story last week on Simon Gilbert's Facebook page, but when I clicked through I got a "page not found" - so I wonder whether the story was originally uploaded last week, pulled down quickly (due to some kind of Brody legal intervention?) and now re-stated (presuming they've overcome the initial reason for removing it).

I saw that too on CT site last week immediately after Brody was seen at Swindon.

oucho

The CT are not really doing their job as they tell us all about players like Ojala, McBean and Kane Smith, then just letting it go quiet so none of us know, weeks later, whether this is still on the cards. You have to follow the story up, otherwise it's only half a story. Now we're in limbo without knowing about any of them, and the CT have moved on to talk about other things.
Surely the point of being a journalist, not a content writer as someone pointed out above, is that you don't expect the club to spoon-feed you information but instead you get out of the office and go and sniff out what's going on, or at least report the latest as part of a regular round-up. These three players haven't been mentioned for ages.

georgehudson

a reasonable point oucho,
it does beg the question tho, just how forthcoming the PR dept., @ CCFC are with information ?
what PR dept., i hear you ask,
point taken

oucho

it does beg the question tho, just how forthcoming the PR dept., @ CCFC are with information ?
point taken

Yep, we all know that the answer to that question is "not very", but see my previous comment. CT need to sniff out what's going to tell us whether these guys are still in the building, when they're expected to sign, what the hold-up is (e.g. awaiting international clearance, etc).

I don't mean publish standalone articles like "Mowbray set to decide on Ojala", that's bad journalism in itself (see my comment last night) but they can still mention the status of these players, even if it's just done in the body of the Agyei piece e.g. "separately, Coventry still have three players on trial a...etc etc", so we know what's going on.

SBT

The CT are not really doing their job as they tell us all about players like Ojala, McBean and Kane Smith, then just letting it go quiet so none of us know, weeks later, whether this is still on the cards. You have to follow the story up, otherwise it's only half a story. Now we're in limbo without knowing about any of them, and the CT have moved on to talk about other things.
Surely the point of being a journalist, not a content writer as someone pointed out above, is that you don't expect the club to spoon-feed you information but instead you get out of the office and go and sniff out what's going on, or at least report the latest as part of a regular round-up. These three players haven't been mentioned for ages.

What if there's "no news" on them? You've just spent a couple of pages slagging off the CT for printing too many CCFC stories, now they're not printing enough?

You seem to have a pretty weirdly specific definition of what counts as newsworthy.

Captain Dart

The CT can
a) rely on the club to feed information
b) get information from insiders
c) doorstep Ryton
d) follow up rumours with transferring club or players agent
e) ask player direct, e.g on social media

All takes time & resources though, in actual fact about half the reporting staff at the CT seem to be dedicated to the club, which shows how important it is to the paper.

Nick

Administrator
The CT can
a) rely on the club to feed information
b) get information from insiders
c) doorstep Ryton
d) follow up rumours with transferring club or players agent
e) ask player direct, e.g on social media

All takes time & resources though, in actual fact about half the staff at the CT seem to be dedicated to the club, which shows how important it is to the paper.

What I don't get is.

Andy Turner
Alan Poole
Aidan

3 people who do the club stuff, seems a lot of people for the stuff that comes out? Are they freelance or full time?

Captain Dart

What I don't get is.

Andy Turner
Alan Poole
Aidan

3 people who do the club stuff, seems a lot of people for the stuff that comes out? Are they freelance or full time?

Don't know, they may do stuff for other locales (Brum etc.), and Simon seems largely dedicated to the club, just had a peek and some guy called Paul Smith gets the Wasps bylines and there are a few 'News' reporters, don't think there is much else these days, the offices at the Canal Basin are not massive are they.

fernandopartridge

point taken

Is this the CCFC PR department that is usually criticised round these parts for daring to announce that we've signed a player

oucho

What if there's "no news" on them? You've just spent a couple of pages slagging off the CT for printing too many CCFC stories, now they're not printing enough?

You seem to have a pretty weirdly specific definition of what counts as newsworthy.

I suggest you re-read what I said. I was very clear. I did not "slag off the CT for printing too many CCFC stories". I criticised them for printing too many CCFC non-stories. But equally, they are not going out and finding out what's actually going on to keep us up to date with the potential signings they've previously dangled. Therefore....

Don't write "treading water" stories like "Mowbray keen to assess Ojala" etc etc, but, within actual news stories, such as the Agyei signing, these can include a separate update along the lines of "meanwhile, Ojala remains on trial whilst formal international clearance is confirmed, which is expected in the next 7 days." You get the idea.

So much of what we've read over the summer has felt like padding. But now, they're not keeping us abreast of the latest on stories they'd previously announced. For instance, is Kane Smith even with us on trial still? You wouldn't know that from reading the CT.

Quite frankly I sometimes think they don't know much more than any of us, which is not how it should be as they're meant to be newshounds who are in the know, not ordinary office workers waiting for club statements and monitoring Twitter and SBT for titbits then re-hashing these into a 'news story'.

Captain Dart

Don't you see, they have to keep on the treadmill even if there is nothing much to report, hence the 'non-stories'. Can't have an empty paper.

oucho

Don't you see, they have to keep on the treadmill even if there is nothing much to report, hence the 'non-stories'. Can't have an empty paper.
Not a problem on a website though; no idea why they publish crap stories like "spot yourself in the crowd", fan's views, "rumour mill", "have your say on whether CCFC have signed enough defenders", and spend more time on analysis from the likes of Andy Turner, or proper expert columnists like Bobby Gould, or research into off-the-field matters, all of which they do well.

Interviewing the likes of Jordan Willis saying great insights like "Hopefully Agyei will do well for us" is hardly great work either. Just because they're available for interview, so what? If they don't say anything of interest, don't report it.

fernandopartridge

Not a problem on a website though; no idea why they publish crap stories like "spot yourself in the crowd", fan's views, "rumour mill", "have your say on whether CCFC have signed enough defenders", and spend more time on analysis from the likes of Andy Turner, or proper expert columnists like Bobby Gould, or research into off-the-field matters, all of which they do well.

Interviewing the likes of Jordan Willis saying great insights like "Hopefully Agyei will do well for us" is hardly great work either. Just because they're available for interview, so what? If they don't say anything of interest, don't report it.

They disappointingly stopped doing 'spot yourself in the crowd' on away games. I got on that a few times.

shmmeee

I look forward to your media empire that only prints 3 stories a day.

If people click on it/read it in the paper it's worth their while. Welcome to 21st century journalism.

oucho

I look forward to your media empire that only prints 3 stories a day.

If people click on it/read it in the paper it's worth their while. Welcome to 21st century journalism.

It would be called quality journalism. 3 stories a day would be more than enough. Traditional papers are dying on their arse because of running with re-hashed content that online blogs like BuzzFeed, HuffPo, Guido etc have picked up first...putting out all this click-bait and second-hand "news" is killing them.

They also need to stop running crap like "CCFC banter", who cares??

Last edited:

SBT

I suggest you re-read what I said. I was very clear. I did not "slag off the CT for printing too many CCFC stories". I criticised them for printing too many CCFC non-stories. But equally, they are not going out and finding out what's actually going on to keep us up to date with the potential signings they've previously dangled. Therefore....

Don't write "treading water" stories like "Mowbray keen to assess Ojala" etc etc, but, within actual news stories, such as the Agyei signing, these can include a separate update along the lines of "meanwhile, Ojala remains on trial whilst formal international clearance is confirmed, which is expected in the next 7 days." You get the idea.

So much of what we've read over the summer has felt like padding. But now, they're not keeping us abreast of the latest on stories they'd previously announced. For instance, is Kane Smith even with us on trial still? You wouldn't know that from reading the CT.

Except you don't really have any idea whether or not they are keeping tabs on those stories, do you? Andy Turner might be running it down as we speak, and neither of us would be any the wiser. Maybe they've just taken your advice to heart, and they're waiting until they have something more concrete until publishing. Or maybe they don't feel like taking you up on your other tip, and tacking on half a dozen micro-updates on the end of unrelated stories to satisfy your interest in Kane bloody Smith.

I've honestly no idea why you're so upset about stories that don't give you ultimate closure on a transfer saga (especially when you appear to have read all of them). But I have to think I would rather see regular CCFC coverage in the local paper, however mundane it may get at times, rather than your alternative, which is literally nothing.

oucho

Except you don't really have any idea whether or not they are keeping tabs on those stories, do you? Andy Turner might be running it down as we speak, and neither of us would be any the wiser. Maybe they've just taken your advice to heart, and they're waiting until they have something more concrete until publishing. Or maybe they don't feel like taking you up on your other tip, and tacking on half a dozen micro-updates on the end of unrelated stories to satisfy your interest in Kane bloody Smith.

I've honestly no idea why you're so upset about stories that don't give you ultimate closure on a transfer saga (especially when you appear to have read all of them). But I have to think I would rather see regular CCFC coverage in the local paper, however mundane it may get at times, rather than your alternative, which is literally nothing.

I'd rather see no stories than non-stories.

hill83

I'd rather see no stories than non-stories.

Click click click, adverts adverts adverts.

They aren't selling many papers. I've had my front door knocked twice in the last 4 months along me to sign up to have the paper delivered.

'You won't believe what happened next.....' will get clicks and generate money. It's owned by the mirror group.

Nick

Administrator
It would be called quality journalism. 3 stories a day would be more than enough. Traditional papers are dying on their arse because of running with re-hashed content that online blogs like BuzzFeed, HuffPo, Guido etc have picked up first...putting out all this click-bait and second-hand "news" is killing them.

They also need to stop running crap like "CCFC banter", who cares??

the lad bible is the worst! They rehash it from somewhere, then 2 days later it gets into the mirror etc.

Nick

Administrator
Click click click, adverts adverts adverts.

They aren't selling many papers. I've had my front door knocked twice in the last 4 months along me to sign up to have the paper delivered.

'You won't believe what happened next.....' will get clicks and generate money. It's owned by the mirror group.
What happened next?

Nick

Administrator
My favourite is.

"A Z lister off of hollyoaks in 1999 has changed"

then inside, a bloke has had his hair cut.

Users who are viewing this thread