Budget (1 Viewer)

jim20

As some others have said, the virus will start to level the playing field a bit. You never know, 3 clubs could go into admin and be deducted points meaning we don’t finish in the relegation zone!

cc84cov

As some others have said, the virus will start to level the playing field a bit. You never know, 3 clubs could go into admin and be deducted points meaning we don’t finish in the relegation zone!
Possibly

ccfcway

Clearly we will be in the bottom 2 or 3 for budget. That doesn’t scare me at all, I trust MR to make some great signings and for the team to have a good go at it

cc84cov

I think this seasons team is more than good enough to compete in the championship not concerned about a big budget

Gazolba

There's usually some idiot who says "Next season, relegation might be the best thing for us".
I would never say it though.

SlowerThanPlatt

I wouldn’t mind betting Sheffield United were similar to us two years ago

Not really, they would have had more than our Championship budget in League 1.

Generally the rule is the more money you spend the likelier you are to finish towards the top. Even in League 1 this is the case, all the teams in the top half have a solid budget, Wycombe being the only exception I think. Us, Rotherham, Peterborough, Oxford, Pompey, Fleetwood, Sunderland etc

Mucca Mad Boys

Rotherham’s was about £7m when they were last there wasn’t it? If we’re below that I can’t see anything but bottom three got to be honest.

Gonna be an interesting summer.

Judging from the kind of players we've been linked with, I suspect we're going to attempt to bring in high quality, foreign imports who go at a lower rate than talent in the EFL. I trust the recruitment team to be able to work around with a less competitive budget.

I get the impression that coronavirus may do us quite a big favour. Comparatively, we've lost out on a lot less than the teams around us (including Championship) who have to deal with added costs of testing (might be subsidised, assuming it isn't) and the loss of income that comes with playing in an empty stadium.

I'm optimistic, yet pragmatic enough to realise it's going to be a tough season for us.

Last edited:

GaryJones

We need to keep the same team spirit in the squad from this season - 2019/2020 & 1987 - this goes a long way and makes a difference - and it doesn't really cost anything either.
I think we will compete around the mid table level so Im optimistic too.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Judging from the kind of players we've been linked with, I suspect we're going to attempt to bring in high quality, foreign imports who go at a lower rate than talent in the EFL. I trust the recruitment team to be able to work around with a less competitive budget.

I get the impression that coronavirus may do us quite a big favour. Comparatively, we've lost out on a lot less than the teams around us (including Championship) who have to deal with added costs of testing (might be subsidised, assuming it isn't) and the loss of income that comes with playing in an empty stadium.

I'm optimistic, yet pragmatic enough to realise it's going to be a tough season for us.

Our foray thus far into foreign transfers hasn't been that good. We've picked up some good domestic prospects but those from abroad haven't set the world alight. Of course it could work well, but it's a massive gamble that they'll be able to fit in and suit football in this country.

It may well be that this is due to necessity to try and get as much VFM as possible on a tight budget, but like you I'm thinking that the pandemic could work in our favour in terms of budgets for other teams being more affected and more players may be available for cheaper wages/fees than usual (although other teams may well be able to take advantage of the situation too). There is the possibility that 'exceptional circumstances' may well be brought in leading to a slight relaxing of FFP rules to allow for it.

Mucca Mad Boys

Our foray thus far into foreign transfers hasn't been that good. We've picked up some good domestic prospects but those from abroad haven't set the world alight. Of course it could work well, but it's a massive gamble that they'll be able to fit in and suit football in this country.

It may well be that this is due to necessity to try and get as much VFM as possible on a tight budget, but like you I'm thinking that the pandemic could work in our favour in terms of budgets for other teams being more affected and more players may be available for cheaper wages/fees than usual (although other teams may well be able to take advantage of the situation too). There is the possibility that 'exceptional circumstances' may well be brought in leading to a slight relaxing of FFP rules to allow for it.

We don’t really have a lot to compare, to be frank. Jobello was pretty important to the team before his season was ended in October. As for Kastaneer, great goal v Bristol Rovers, that’s about it. Before Cov, Dabo’s career was played mainly in Holland and he was a brilliant signing.

That’s all we can judge the recruitment team on at the minute. Nothing is really relevant before the Robins era because it’s a completely different setup.

This is a given, but still worth noting that being a Championship team will attract high quality foreign players who want to play football in England. In League 1, you’re probably more likely to sign ‘busts’ like Kastaneer.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We don’t really have a lot to compare, to be frank. Jobello was pretty important to the team before his season was ended in October. As for Kastaneer, great goal v Bristol Rovers, that’s about it. Before Cov, Dabo’s career was played mainly in Holland and he was a brilliant signing.

That’s all we can judge the recruitment team on at the minute. Nothing is really relevant before the Robins era because it’s a completely different setup.

This is a given, but still worth noting that being a Championship team will attract high quality foreign players who want to play football in England. In League 1, you’re probably more likely to sign ‘busts’ like Kastaneer.

Dabo I'm sure would've come up due to Viveash and his Chelsea links rather than his stint in Holland.

Mucca Mad Boys

Dabo I'm sure would've come up due to Viveash and his Chelsea links rather than his stint in Holland.

The point was that he’s played the majority of his football in the Netherlands. It also didn’t stop a few people questioning the standard of the Dutch second division at the time (also, the unfavourable reviews compared to Dujon Sterling).

Users who are viewing this thread