Budget (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

David Boddy on CWR this morning:

I’ve now listened to the interview. Here’s the breakdown. Some new signings set to be completed soon as well!

Lost out on a couple of £100k from not completing last home games - gate receipts.

Budgeting is a nightmare for next season. EFL haven’t said anything.

Look to bring back furloughed staff but will take advantage of govt scheme for as long as we can. Skeleton staff operating for now. At least for another month.

Retained list announced in next 24 hours. Not many players leaving. A couple.

Robins won’t be forced to sell anyone.

Recruitment dept working overtime. Being working over last 6 months for Champ signings.

A couple of new signings are very close to signing.

Central funding goes up x5 for us from EFL. Player wages go up massively in Champ. We will be one of the minnows in terms of budget. Team with lower budgets go straight back down and we need to find a way to buck the trend.

Average wage in Champ is £20k a week v £3k a week in L1.

Wages will come down this year in Champ because of the crisis.

Last edited:

Sbarcher

David Boddy has mentioned on CWR this morning that we will have the lowest budget in the Championship.

Some would say that equals relegation, however we had mid table L1 budget this year and still had the best players in the league.
Let's hope Fleetwood make it, they might take our spot!

ccfchoi87

I’m always sceptical when managers and board members say this sort of thing. Not only does it manage fans expectations but they aren’t going to come out and say we have money behind us as other clubs will up their asking price. We will have a small budget without doubt but might not be rock bottom.

As for this year, I doubt a mid table budget would have secured the signings of Marosi, Allen and Mcfadzean as they were already playing for teams with mid table budgets.

shmmeee

Rotherham’s was about £7m when they were last there wasn’t it? If we’re below that I can’t see anything but bottom three got to be honest.

Gonna be an interesting summer.

Gynnsthetonic

I’m always sceptical when managers and board members say this sort of thing. Not only does it manage fans expectations but they aren’t going to come out and say we have money behind us as other clubs will up their asking price. We will have a small budget without doubt but might not be rock bottom.

As for this year, I doubt a mid table budget would have secured the signings of Marosi, Allen and Mcfadzean as they were already playing for teams with mid table budgets.
Let's not forget the signing of Godden, let's see what happens and see who Robins brings in, the club are never going to reveal how much money they are going to spend, but let's hope they do invest to keep us in the Championship!

Nick

Administrator
Might be worth waiting to see the activity over the summer too and take it with a pinch of salt.

While obviously were are going to be amongst the lowest, we aren't going to shout about a massive budget so that agents can rub their hands together.

Did people really think we would be competing on budgets with teams coming down from the Prem? This is what happens when gimps sit at home and don't live in the real world and just whinge.

Grendel

Grendel

Might be worth waiting to see the activity over the summer too and take it with a pinch of salt.

While obviously were are going to be amongst the lowest, we aren't going to shout about a massive budget so that agents can rub their hands together.

Did people really think we would be competing on budgets with teams coming down from the Prem? This is what happens when gimps sit at home and don't live in the real world and just whinge.

We will be lowest or second lowest. At St Andrews for sure. Even Millwall are now I think at around £17 m and remember this is wage budget excluding money spent on players.

Be interesting to see what the strategy is - a 3 year deal for O Hare would Probably cost £2 million in wages over the period.

I think we may sell some players and try and capture out of contract players with championship experience and use sale revenue to fund the wages

The issue of course then is relegation would create a black hole with those wages

block16

To be honest id be concerned if we were going in spending a mid table Championship budget first season. Let's keep the unit together they're good enough to have a good craic especially if we strengthen wisely. Spending money by no means guarantees safety!
Our issue financially in the past in div 2 was selling key players at key times this must be rectified this season

BackRoomRummermill

There is only a need for a couple of players , we dominated L1 and we could hold our own in champ , no surprise we are low on budget , but give it the best shot we can , a couple of decent signings and not a complete overhaul of the WINNING team , we will shock a few next season for sure

Grendel

Id have thought you’re looking at £15m just to stay up. That said Robins is a miracle worker so maybe he can be competitive on less.

The difference between playing at the Ricoh to St Andrews could be up to £4m in income

Magwitch

I wouldn’t expect or want Boddy to say any different and of all seasons this one coming up. Is going to be a lot different in finance terms. Let’s be honest none of us really know our financial position I’m hoping it’s not as bad as it has been. It’s not about who has the most money it’s how it’s spent and put together in a team I’m confident we’ll do okay.

Last edited:

Magwitch

So for all the St. Andrews lovers, this is the reason we need to be back at the Ricoh so we get more revenue
I think it’s going to be a while yet until crowds are permitted at sport venues so season ticket income won’t be happening initially or on the day gate money another thing that will have significant repercussions for a lot of championship clubs and due to our St Andrews experience and subsequent low match day income might not affect us as bad.

skybluesam66

I would imagine our revenues assuming some crowds will go up from around 5m to around 12m
So even on a level playing field we are + 7m
if we assume we get rid of the deadwood but increases for those who are staying , we will need around 3m of the 7m at least to keep the current team happy
So that leaves 4m which gets you a few decent players at this level in terms of wages, and it will be a buyers market with many teams struggling

Frostie

Bloke doesn't go to games, whinges as much as he can.

Tweet now deleted after everybody called him out on it, changed his tune now.

Fwiw, bottom few Championship clubs usually have a wage bill of £15-20m whereas ours last season was approx £5m.

With next to no income & FFP in place I'm not sure why he thinks it's a "lack of ambition" that we'll have a smaller budget than most.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Fwiw, bottom few Championship clubs usually have a wage bill of £15-20m whereas ours last season was approx £5m.

With next to no income & FFP in place I'm not sure why he thinks it's a "lack of ambition" that we'll have a smaller budget than most.
Who was it? PSB_Group - he’s a twat

ccfcway

But of a non story really.

If we continue on the “invest in youngsters” strategy, we will be fine. It’s only a problem if we are looking at players who have played their entire career at prem or championship level and are looking for 20k a week with no sell on value.

Grendel

£5m includes all staff the players wages is a lot less

Mcbean

All budgets are going to be tight but there will be a surfeit of players but you don't win League 1 without being a sharp operator - trust in Robins

Colin Steins Smile

I would guess our wage bill this year was £3.5-£4M and we reportedly spent £400k on Matty Godden.
The business model for the club has consistently been stated as "living within the income generated". So, assuming each club in the Championship receives £7M...and for the first half of the season we play BCD's. I project a slight uplift on season ticket sales from 4000 to 6000, which could generate circa £165 per ST [based on £15 per game, after costs and 11 home games]. This adds another £990,000 to the income.....and a circa £300,000 from individual sales = £1,390,000.
So, our overall budget could be £8.5M - £9.5M if we add some commercial income. Hence, the need for the club to sell a player a season.....unless we can encourage Maddison, Wilson et al to force a transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread