Budget (2 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

PS, the club could still show ambition yet still have the lowest wage bill in the league. When will these people get it into their thick skulls that the club's turnover is always going to be limited at the Ricoh or not, and that they all support this wholeheartedly.

AFCCOVENTRY

I’ve now listened to the interview. Here’s the breakdown. Some new signings set to be completed soon as well!

Lost out on a couple of £100k from not completing last home games - gate receipts.

Budgeting is a nightmare for next season. EFL haven’t said anything.

Look to bring back furloughed staff but will take advantage of govt scheme for as long as we can. Skeleton staff operating for now. At least for another month.

Retained list announced in next 24 hours. Not many players leaving. A couple.

Robins won’t be forced to sell anyone.

Recruitment dept working overtime. Being working over last 6 months for Champ signings.

A couple of new signings are very close to signing.

Central funding goes up x5 for us from EFL. Player wages go up massively in Champ. We will be one of the minnows in terms of budget. Team with lower budgets go straight back down and we need to find a way to buck the trend.

Average wage in Champ is £20k a week v £3k a week in L1.

Wages will come down this year in Champ because of the crisis.

Nick

Administrator
My 2 guesses would have been PSB Group then Dan Harvey. Presume it was that absolute melt Harvey

Second one.

WE WILL HAVE THE LOWEST BUDGET IN THE LEAGUE. SISU OUT.

I still remember when he started arguing about a match and players, I asked him a question and he said "I wasn't there".

Ring Of Steel

I’ve now listened to the interview. Here’s the breakdown. Some new signings set to be completed soon as well!

Lost out on a couple of £100k from not completing last home games - gate receipts.

Budgeting is a nightmare for next season. EFL haven’t said anything.

Look to bring back furloughed staff but will take advantage of govt scheme for as long as we can. Skeleton staff operating for now. At least for another month.

Retained list announced in next 24 hours. Not many players leaving. A couple.

Robins won’t be forced to sell anyone.

Recruitment dept working overtime. Being working over last 6 months for Champ signings.

A couple of new signings are very close to signing.

Central funding goes up x5 for us from EFL. Player wages go up massively in Champ. We will be one of the minnows in terms of budget. Team with lower budgets go straight back down and we need to find a way to buck the trend.

Average wage in Champ is £20k a week v £3k a week in L1.

Wages will come down this year in Champ because of the crisis.

Sounds eminently reasonable and all makes sense- not sure why people are getting all wound up about that assessment.

Legia Sky Blue

I would have thought we will continue with the same recruitment policy in relation to permanent and loan signings, preferring younger (hungrier) promising players over more expensive experienced ones. In our 3 years since relegation MR has only brought in 2 over 30's in Doyle and McFadzean, who were both ultra professional and leaders on the pitch. If we do sign an experienced player I would expect him to be of a similar ilk, rather than the poor has been signings we made last time we were in the Championship, in Tim Sherwood and others.

skyblue1991

I would much rather work within our means, finish 21st and then improve season upon season rather than spend money we don't have to only spend a couple of seasons and get relegated either due to administration or just a bad season and having to deal with the consequences in League 1.

In Robins and Boddy we trust!

Ring Of Steel

I would much rather work within our means, finish 21st and then improve season upon season rather than spend money we don't have to only spend a couple of seasons and get relegated either due to administration or just a bad season and having to deal with the consequences in League 1.

In Robins and Boddy we trust!

Boddy says that we are budgeting to play half the season with no fans, no crowds allowed until January...

Grendel

My 2 guesses would have been PSB Group then Dan Harvey. Presume it was that absolute melt Harvey

Its Dan

PSB is Darryl Murphy surely

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But of a non story really.

If we continue on the “invest in youngsters” strategy, we will be fine. It’s only a problem if we are looking at players who have played their entire career at prem or championship level and are looking for 20k a week with no sell on value.

I agree. It's served a number of teams well over the years. Then when they get to Prem they seem to feel the need to buy ready players, that pathway to the first team closes and they stagnate.

Of course the academy/reserves will be looking to bring in the best talent they can and arguably the higher up you go the more scouting you can do and the more attractive you are to good youngsters. A lot of our current crop are now going to have to be looking to be much better than they were a few years ago to break through though as they've got to prove good enough for Championship rather than League 2. But it sets a goal for them and hopefully it'll push them on to be that bit better.

Would obv prefer them to be local kids more likely to care about giving their all for a club they feel an affinity to rather than further afield using as a strategic stepping stone already looking to move on in their career, but if they're good enough and put the effort it in doesn't matter.

Paxman II

With something of the order of £7.5m coming down the pipeline now we have achieved promotion, what will our final budget be about? Anyone have an idea?
9m, 10m,12m?

AFCCOVENTRY

With something of the order of £7.5m coming down the pipeline now we have achieved promotion, what will our final budget be about? Anyone have an idea?
9m, 10m,12m?

Impossible to know because it will depend on where we are selling season tickets! St Andrews or Ricoh...

There will also be revised sponsorship deals.

chiefdave

9m, 10m,12m?
The most recent published accounts, for our first season back in L1 say the wages are "£4,676,724 – an increase largely as a result of increased employee costs as a result of promotion to League 1", but that's all employees not just players. I suspect, despite the revenue drop from being in Birmingham, this season was around the same. So if you add the extra TV and solidarity payments you're in the region of £12m which puts us right down at the wrong end of the table.

Of course there's lots of unknowns, more than ever this season. Will we be back at the Ricoh and if we are what will the deal be? What impact will covid-19 have? Will crowds even be allowed?

And the final issue of clubs spending what they can't afford. For 2018/19 there was 14 clubs who spent more in wages than their total turnover!

EZutj1gWAAI2xGj.jpeg

shmmeee

I think we’re looking at £10m minimum to stand any chance at all, Boddy said revenue will double and that’s double the wage bill when we came up to L1 so maybe. I’d feel a lot happier if we were closer to £15-20m looking at that chart.

chiefdave

I think we’re looking at £10m minimum to stand any chance at all, Boddy said revenue will double and that’s double the wage bill when we came up to L1 so maybe. I’d feel a lot happier if we were closer to £15-20m looking at that chart.
Looking at the info on that website (swissramble) in the 18/19 season of the 9 teams that spent less than 100% of turnover on wages 5 of them had been relegated from the Prem in the previous two seasons and would have been receiving parachute payments. Millwall had the second lowest budget (£17m) and even that mean 92% of their turnover was going on wages with average crowds of 13,500.

Reality is staying up will be an achievement. Until we get a rich owner prepared to pump millions in every year and write it off or football sorts out its finances it will always be the same.

Maybe the current crisis will finally give the authorities and clubs the kick they need to do something meaningful.

mark82

The most important thing, whatever the level, is spending within our means. If we go down, so be it.

shmmeee

The most important thing, whatever the level, is spending within our means. If we go down, so be it.

Id normally agree, I’ve just got this nagging worry about the difference in sustainability now and when the stadium situation is sorted. We should get 15k+ easily in Cov, we don’t know if it’d be another ten years before we got back up if we did go down, is it worth overspending slightly for a couple of years to keep us there until the ground is there to sustain us at that level? I don’t know.

Same as when we came up from L2, I just felt you get a season or two to capitalise on the momentum and kick on to another level.

Magwitch

When the shit really hits the championship fan and the after effects of this virus there will be some tough times for a lot of clubs, no way will clubs be able to pay anything like £20k a week for one player, I’m just glad we aren’t in that position.

bawtryneal

Whilst it is crap for the supporters the longer the season remains behind closed doors the more "levelling out" of finances in our favour.
Everybody is in the same situation regarding budgets ( apart from the relegated PL teams).
Our fixed costs will be very low compared to the majority of other teams.

Paxman II

I think at this critical juncture and so not to undo the great progrees the club has made, SISU must surely consider chucking in a few extra funds now? They must make sure we are not left behind, and ensure MR's is not hamstrung in keeping the momentum going.
There must surely be a Ricoh deal in the pipeline now, and that would make a huge difference of course with 15-20k crowds adding to the bottom line. I think crowds will be back much quicker than people think. Certainly before Xmas. SISU will invest enough extra to land a midtable 'ish position, get a deal at the Ricoh and sell us.
On that basis with some 7.5m coming in, and I believe a bit of budget left over from last season, some SISU injection may put us in the 15m+ area, while not withstanding the fact we do have a very good side, not to be dismissed just because it's the Championship.

chiefdave

I think at this critical juncture and so not to undo the great progrees the club has made, SISU must surely consider chucking in a few extra funds now? They must make sure we are not left behind, and ensure MR's is not hamstrung in keeping the momentum going.
There must surely be a Ricoh deal in the pipeline now, and that would make a huge difference of course with 15-20k crowds adding to the bottom line. I think crowds will be back much quicker than people think. Certainly before Xmas. SISU will invest enough extra to land a midtable 'ish position, get a deal at the Ricoh and sell us.
On that basis with some 7.5m coming in, and I believe a bit of budget left over from last season, some SISU injection may put us in the 15m+ area, while not withstanding the fact we do have a very good side, not to be dismissed just because it's the Championship.
How much do you expect them to chuck in? To be around mid table in terms of budget would probably need SISU to chuck in somewhere in the region of £20m or more a season.

shmmeee

How much do you expect them to chuck in? To be around mid table in terms of budget would probably need SISU to chuck in somewhere in the region of £20m or more a season.

Nah, £5-10m probably. How much can you sell an established a Championship side with a stable ground for?

Edit: just read you said mid table for budget not mid table. Question stands though, what could Joy make if we were in Cov and a mid table side?

jto123

Really feel it's critical that SISU invest purely to keep Robins. He is starting to get quite a bit of attention with the job he's done with us. Anything that will make him feel hamstrung could potentially lead to us losing our best manager in the last 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread