Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

They have just signed chris Brunt from WBA. Quality experienced CM. Probably be in their team Saturday
Also a good comparison in the huge gulf between established Championship clubs and long time absentees such as ourselves.
Brunt was on 60k p/w at Albion.
Doubt he's signed for the maxxed out 8k p/w we could have offered!

Was also talked about Walsh's contract option and how BC triggering that priced us out of the market for him....
...now they are offering him a new extended deal!....

We certainly aren't on a level playing field here!

Any type of result on Saturday would be a great start...

EAst ender

Also a good comparison in the huge gulf between established Championship clubs and long time absentees such as ourselves.
Brunt was on 60k p/w at Albion.
Doubt he's signed for the maxxed out 8k p/w we could have offered!

Was also talked about Walsh's contract option and how BC triggering that priced us out of the market for him....
...now they are offering him a new extended deal!....

We certainly aren't on a level playing field here!

Any type of result on Saturday would be a great start...
Just had our local radio 'sounds of the City' show and Dean Holden was the guest. By all accounts, Walsh is signing a new deal with us in 'a couple of days'. It was very clear Holden rates the kid and wants him here.
One more incoming before Saturday, supposedly Sessengon from Fulham.
Brunt will be on a fair bit less than half of £60k at our place, maybe £15k at a guess.
We certainly need to shed a few in all honesty.

shepardo01

Just had our local radio 'sounds of the City' show and Dean Holden was the guest. By all accounts, Walsh is signing a new deal with us in 'a couple of days'. It was very clear Holden rates the kid and wants him here.
One more incoming before Saturday, supposedly Sessengon from Fulham.
..... which will widen the gulf even more!!
With talk/rumours like that it sounds like your new gaffer has his footballing head screwed on.... a bit more than your old one by the looks of it!

See Cov kid Paterson has been given #10 for the season.... how do you see him figuring this season?

shepardo01

Look at this thread and the possible team they could put out..... gulp...

Sky Blue Harry H

Look at this thread and the possible team they could put out..... gulp...

Can only play eleven of them - no silly back passes/kamikaze stuff and we will give them a game.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I feel like you'll beat us. We have a good team but I just don't trust our new, highly inexperienced, head coach.

I'm equally as worried as some of you are.
Think it’s every fan at this stage. New players, new managers, new leagues for some of us. None of us genuinely know what will happen over the next season. Your squad does seem incredibly heavy in the midfield dept though, pretty sure you could offload one of them in our direction...;)

Marty

I’d say so too.

It’s getting fucking silly now, if people are this afraid and cowering then maybe just stay away from the TV. We might lose, so what? 45 games left, all this fear & dread is very embarrassing

Exactly, It's 11 v 11, anything could happen, can't wait for Kelly & Hamer to twat their players in the first minute and their overpaid prima-donna's going hiding for the next 90 minutes.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Exactly, It's 11 v 11, anything could happen, can't wait for Kelly & Hamer to twat their players in the first minute and their overpaid prima-donna's going hiding for the next 90 minutes.
Ha ha. Let’s be honest, we play them 100 times, they probably win 75 of them, but we’re only playing them once and it’s the first game of a very weird season. We most definitely can win, whether we do or not is a different thing.

Can’t fucking wait.

EAst ender

sessegnon would be massive though, I really don’t want him to sign before the weekend
Erm, signed tonight.
As for midfielders, we've got far too many and quite a few will certainly be leaving.
I would guess at Elliasson to Villa, Szmodics to Posh or Sunderland, Adelukan to anywhere, a couple of youngsters out on loan plus I fear we may lose Han Noah Massengo to the money pit league.
Coventry boy Pato has a major role to play this year BTW.
I'm not saying we will beat you but, obviously with all possible respect, I hope we do. It will e tight regardless.

fernandopartridge

Erm, signed tonight.
As for midfielders, we've got far too many and quite a few will certainly be leaving.
I would guess at Elliasson to Villa, Szmodics to Posh or Sunderland, Adelukan to anywhere, a couple of youngsters out on loan plus I fear we may lose Han Noah Massengo to the money pit league.
Coventry boy Pato has a major role to play this year BTW.
I'm not saying we will beat you but, obviously with all possible respect, I hope we do. It will e tight regardless.
He's a good player Paterson, not sure how he slipped through the net at Cov. Went to the same school as James Maddison, albeit a few years older.

Kieranp96

I don’t think we should read too much into the result of the first game back in the division. It’s been a highly unusual closed season, and results early on always tend to be a bit mixed anyway while new players bed in and teams get used to new systems etc. For that reason, whether we get battered or paste them 5-0, I’m not going to either crack the champagne or kick the cat. Might have an idea by Christmas...

Agree a draw would be an excellent result, but nothing would surprise me to be honest.
More about performance than result, if we play like we did against mk were getting relega
He's a good player Paterson, not sure how he slipped through the net at Cov. Went to the same school as James Maddison, albeit a few years older.
A few years? We may of been in the same year maddison was 2 years below me, me being a football fan all my life we use to play footie down cally Park me and my mates and maddison use to run circles around us kinda glad we didn't crop him 😂

ccfcricoh

Same comment as every game we'll have this season...

will be tough, they have a bigger budget than us and look at how much they're paying xxxx alone.

They probably look better on paper, but did they win a league last season?

Absolutely no reason why we cant sneak a win, the championship always throws up odd results.

Play to the best of our abilities and we will win, if were off the boil we'll probably lose.

fernandopartridge

More about performance than result, if we play like we did against mk were getting relega

A few years? We may of been in the same year maddison was 2 years below me, me being a football fan all my life we use to play footie down cally Park me and my mates and maddison use to run circles around us kinda glad we didn't crop him
Paterson is 28 so he'll be 3 years or so above you

Skyblueweeman

I don't get all the negativity...we're going from L1 to the Championship, not Champions League.

I do get that it's a big jump (bigger than L2 to L1) and our budget is likely to be around the smallest in the league but budget doesn't always correlate with performance. Hundreds of sporting examples over the years...Leicester didn't have anywhere near the budget of Man City, Chelsea, Utd etc when they won the league. I know that's an exception to the rule but you would think that some think we're going to be playing Barcelona and Bayern Munich every week.

Our squad is arguably better this season. The majority of our new boys have come in early in the window so they're well integrated into the set up and we know that MR has done a great job with whatever is thrown at him.

Let's trust him and his staff to do us proud this season.

Skyblueweeman

As for BCFC signing people like Brunt...I'm from NI so have an affection for Brunt. Cracking left foot. But he's in the twlight of his career now...there would be a few moaning on here if we signed him. 'too old', 'here for one last pay cheque', 'won't last 90' etc.

Ring Of Steel

Same comment as every game we'll have this season...

will be tough, they have a bigger budget than us and look at how much they're paying xxxx alone.

They probably look better on paper, but did they win a league last season?

Absolutely no reason why we cant sneak a win, the championship always throws up odd results.

Play to the best of our abilities and we will win, if were off the boil we'll probably lose.

We could well, we could also lose. It is only the first game, there's no need to panic & build it up so much, the games come thick & fast and I won't be completely writing us off even if we get hammered. The games right after are just as big & we'll be more settled then, I'm just not sure you can read too much into opening day- how many times before have we had a brilliant opening game then had a terrible season?

Basically lets not get too overcome with nerves & take this first clump of matches as they come instead of building everything into a crescendo for this first game.

ccfcricoh

We could well, we could also lose. It is only the first game, there's no need to panic & build it up so much, the games come thick & fast and I won't be completely writing us off even if we get hammered. The games right after are just as big & we'll be more settled then, I'm just not sure you can read too much into opening day- how many times before have we had a brilliant opening game then had a terrible season?

Basically lets not get too overcome with nerves & take this first clump of matches as they come instead of building everything into a crescendo for this first game.
Pretty sure were saying the same thing...

If we play well we can win, play badly we'll lose, every game is up for grabs, its always 11v11.

Would love to start with a win, will be delighted with a draw, but appreciate were not going to only lose 3 games this season so a loss isnt even the start of the end of the world!

Sky Blue Pete

Pretty sure were saying the same thing...

If we play well we can win, play badly we'll lose, every game is up for grabs, its always 11v11.

Would love to start with a win, will be delighted with a draw, but appreciate were not going to only lose 3 games this season so a loss isnt even the start of the end of the world!
Imagine losing just 3 all season

Users who are viewing this thread