Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (2 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

So you think our top scorer from last season in a league title winning side and who had scored for fun in pre season hasn’t earned the right to start the new season? You are a tough taskmaster.

Who has also never played a Championship game in his career (EDIT - yes he has, at the very start of his career).

Gooden has had a good preseason, and we’ll need him to score goals this season - and I believe he will.

This game, however, we will probably be on the back foot and relying on counter attacks, which favours Walker more than Gooden, in my view. Which is only academic because my view means absolutely nothing in the bigger picture.

Last edited:

skyblueelephant76

Who has also never played a Championship game in his career.

Gooden has had a good preseason, and we’ll need him to score goals this season - and I believe he will.

This game, however, we will probably be on the back foot and relying on counter attacks, which favours Walker more than Gooden, in my view. Which is only academic because my view means absolutely nothing in the bigger picture.
You might want to check Goddens career history...

NortonSkyBlue

Who has also never played a Championship game in his career.

Thank you for your response. Golden has played in the Championship for Scunthorpe.

Mucca Mad Boys

Is that right? I really know nothing about the Championship. I thought they were up there from talk on here last season. Just checked and they were mid table. Maybe an optimistic point.

The consensus is that they’ll be mid table side from the previews I’ve read. I’ve seen 16th and 11th for Bristol.

Whilst we’re going to survive by the skin of our teeth - which I’d take! The bookies have us above the bottom 3 too, which is a good sign.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thank you for your response. Golden has played in the Championship for Scunthorpe.

I stand corrected.

In my defence, it’s easy to miss 5 appearances as a sub - and the total game time probably just about exceeds 90 minutes.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Marosi
Hyam Fadz Osti
Pask Kelly Hamer Giles
Allen O'Hare
Walker​

Wilson/Billson, Mason, Rose, Sheaf, Shipley, Godden, Baka

Not overly happy with Pask still on the right but think he's the best option available as it stands. MR may well start Godden ahead of walker and Shipley ahead of Allen. Kelly is a must.

I'll go with a 3-1 loss, but early season tends to throw up a few surprises and if they underestimate us we can definitely get something. However if they've done their homework and play the pressing game effectively we could have a lot of problems.

Magwitch

I think Bristol City and QPR for that matter are ideal opening fixtures good barometers to see where we are at. Bristol challenged top six most of last season but fell away to mid-table and Rangers very much a middle of the table team. Would have liked Dabo and Rose fully fit though.

skybluesam66

I can see us being on 4 points from those 2 games
Early season momentum from last year

in fact I think we will start and finish the season well, but with a disappointing middle, and finish around 14th place

lifeskyblue

I can see us being on 4 points from those 2 games
Early season momentum from last year

in fact I think we will start and finish the season well, but with a disappointing middle, and finish around 14th place

Will do well to get 4 points and would be a very encouraging start. I would be happy with two or three.
As for your prediction of a disappointing middle....I hope not as I had pencilled in December as our critical month (playing many of the teams I expect to be in bottom third) and hoped we could win a majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAst ender

Hi Sky Blues.
Our Czech International defender, Thomas Kalas is surprisingly back early from International duty so I reckon we will line up as below assuming we get the Sessegnong deal completed.

Bentley
Kalas Mawson Moore
Sessengnong /Hunt Dasilva
Weimann Paterson Eliasson
Diedhou Wells

Injured
Baker
O'Dowda
Williams

Subs
O'Leary GK
Massengo
Palmer
Vyner
Morrell
Martin
Rowe

No idea if we've got anyone else lined up but we're happy to go with that.
I would wish you luck as I always do but not for this one, sorry. ;)
COYR.

Last edited:

usskyblue

A lot of this is mental. The main worry of most on here is getting schooled in this division.. but if you think of the games as cup games, they become way less daunting.

I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but then...it wasn’t easy last season and we only lost 3 fucking games! Expect stress, probably more than last season but we have a great manager, a more than decent squad that plays a solid passing game.. and more importantly, a never say die attitude. We have a real chance in every game to get a result.

Have some faith in them, they’ve fucking earned it.

Frostie

The consensus is that they’ll be mid table side from the previews I’ve read. I’ve seen 16th and 11th for Bristol.

Whilst we’re going to survive by the skin of our teeth - which I’d take! The bookies have us above the bottom 3 too, which is a good sign.

Some put us above them...

Personally, I think they're a very talented side but it's as good a time as any to play them, they're hopefully still finding their feet under new management & we have an unusual & awkward system to play against.

EAst ender

A lot of this is mental. The main worry of most on here is getting schooled in this division.. but if you think of the games as cup games, they become way less daunting.

I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but then...it wasn’t easy last season and we only lost 3 fucking games! Expect stress, probably more than last season but we have a great manager, a more than decent squad, that plays a solid passing game and more importantly, a never say die attitude. We have a real chance in every game to get a result.

That's the spirit to go with but a one off cup game is different as there are no bad teams at this level and it's incessant, non stop.
You'll be fine IMHO, not convinced Rotherham and Wycombe will be though.
Enjoy!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but then...it wasn’t easy last season and we only lost 3 fucking games! Expect stress, probably more than last season but we have a great manager, a more than decent squad that plays a solid passing game.. and more importantly, a never say die attitude. We have a real chance in every game to get a result.

Your last line is absolutely spot on. We are going into this division with positive momentum rather than stagnating there and struggling for many years. It is a totally fresh approach.

I really think a lot of games will be very difficult, but I've managed my expectations to go in line with that. I also watched quite a few Championship games last season and the quality looked to be totally different between the top and bottom of the division. I watched Derby over Christmas and thought they would hammer us, then I watched Charlton a few weeks later and would have but good money on us tearing them apart.

I would be surprised if we finished in the top half, but I am positive we can avoid relegation at this stage.

shmmeee

Hi Sky Blues.
Our Czech International defender, Thomas Kalas is surprisingly back early from International duty so I reckon we will line up as below assuming we get the Sessegnong deal completed.

Bentley
Kalas Mawson Moore
Diedhou Wells

Injured
Baker
O'Dowda
Williams

Subs
O'Leary GK
Massengo
Palmer
Vyner
Morrell
Martin
Rowe

COYR.

I’ll assume Walsh isn’t in the squad or injured list because he’s definitely signing for us. ;)

aloisiwouldhavescored

Just been onto i follow and full match pass for Bristol City available to buy now for £10. Presumably this will be the only place to watch it and had good picture and sound for MK Dons match on Saturday on there so will go with that.

Did I imagine it or did someone mention that you get a choice on the commentary, either CCFC or the opposing team?

shmmeee

Just been onto i follow and full match pass for Bristol City available to buy now for £10. Presumably this will be the only place to watch it and had good picture and sound for MK Dons match on Saturday on there so will go with that.

Did I imagine it or did someone mention that you get a choice on the commentary, either CCFC or the opposing team?

Yeah you do. When you’re watching the stream click the cog icon, then audio then select home or away accordingly.

EAst ender

I’ll assume Walsh isn’t in the squad or injured list because he’s definitely signing for us. ;)
Just started training again shmmeee, sorry. Not sure where he gets into our team but he's highly thought of. I would imagine it depends on whether he signs a new contract or not.
He's deffo ahead of the likes of Smodicz and Adelukan maybe even Kasey Palmer but behind Paterson, Nagy, Williams and Massengo.
No doubt he will get a chance.

Magwitch

Hi Sky Blues.

Bentley
Kalas Mawson Moore
Diedhou Wells

Injured
Baker
O'Dowda
Williams

Subs
O'Leary GK
Massengo
Palmer
Vyner
Morrell
Martin
Rowe

COYR.
Our Norwegian international is back too.

shmmeee

Just started training again shmmeee. Not sure where he gets into our team but he's highly thought of. I would imagine it depends on whether he signs a new contract or not.
He's deffo ahead of the likes of Smodicz and Adelukan maybe even Kasey Palmer but behind Paterson, Nagy, Williams and Massengo.
No doubt he will get a chance.

Im only playing. It’s become a bit of a meme around these parts especially now we’re flush with Callum Wilson money (well, flush by our standards)

TomRad85

Bristol City have some excellent players and have spent a lot of money yet still finished nowhere near the playoffs really. Shows you what we are up against this season.
That said we really have no idea how good a lot of our young players will be at this level, they may surprise a few as might our brand of football. I'm optimistic whilst also trying to manage my expectations.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

Keeping us up will be up there with robins best achievements

imho coming above Wycombe & Rotherham again plus a team starting on -12 would not be as big an achievement as walking away with League One. Mid-table yes, that would be, but if we end up staying up on goal difference on the last day or something, I would see last season as a bigger football achievement- albeit not as important and on a much less glamorous stage.

Evo1883

I'm hoping I will be able to catch it on my iptv, can't pay 10 pound every away game

I believe we will finish 15th /16th Btw
I'm absolutely convinced our system will really cause alot of teams problems, it's much harder to break down than a classic 433 /442, it's also one of the reasons Sheffield United did so well in the championship... Besides having a brilliant manager that is... Wing backs with 2 holding midfielders is a fucker to play against

Last edited:

mr_monkey

imho coming above Wycombe & Rotherham again plus a team starting on -12 would not be as big an achievement as walking away with League One. Mid-tablish yes, that would be, but if we end up staying up on goal difference on the last day or something, I would see last season as a bigger football achievement- albeit not as important and on a much less glamorous stage.

If we stay up this season it will absolutely be the biggest football achievement that robins has achieved and arguably as a club our best since the last time we stayed up in the premiership

People are really underestimating the quality of the championship, anything above 22nd would be an incredible season

Ring Of Steel

If we stay up this season it will absolutely be the biggest football achievement that robins has achieved and arguably as a club our best since the last time we stayed up in the premiership

People are really underestimating the quality of the championship, anything above 22nd would be an incredible season

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, its just the way I see it. We have to think we can finish above the other teams that came up, and we have one club on -12. I would agree it would the most important achievement, but to lose 3 all season and win the league with room to spare with clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc all in there, I just think that in football terms that would be better than coming 21st above teams we already got the better of & a team thats starting with a huge handicap.

Users who are viewing this thread