Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (3 Viewers)

Magwitch

How do you think we will line up? I’m guessing
Marosi
Fadz Hyam Ostigard
Pask Hamer Kelly Giles
Allen O’Hare
Godden
I can’t see Shipley not starting, interesting dilemma for Robins and when you think soon he will have Dabo and Rose fully fit and available a nice headache for him. Rose might be fit was an unused sub Saturday.

Mucca Mad Boys

Difficult to say. Both are very good strikers at League One level and unknown entities in the Championship (obviously Walker's being signed from Notts Forest but he did not really play during the past two seasons), and they offer different things with similar overall outcomes. Granted, Walker is much younger so will definitely have more future potential. I think Robins will be looking to get the most out of each player - and if playing only one striker, that means asking the question about who should do the dirty work from the off when we are going to be on the back foot; and who would be better running at tired legs.

I was surprised to see that in our L2 season, Walker scored 3 in 12 games for Forest (3 in 17 including Bolton loan spell). In terms of Championship experience, he's already ahead of Gooden.

My opinion is that we may start to lineup with two strikers as the season progresses. But, I'm assuming we're maintaining the 3-4-2-1 formation for Bristol and against a good Championship side, we're unlikely to enjoy the majority of possession. For that reason, I'd rather have Walker's pace on the counter from the first minute.

I still rate Gooden and think he's got the finishing ability to score goals in this league, but I'd be very surprised if Walker wasn't brought in to be the main striker, and he's earned the right to start with his goal yesterday.

Woolly68

I watched the game against Exeter on Saturday on iFollow. They won, as you would expect, but they are nowhere near where they need to be for that start of the season. They had a few away on international duty and first half were matched by Exeter until they got the first goal on 35 minutes. Second half they did improve and got the winner in the last 5 minutes when Exeter probably ran out of puff and lacked a bit of concentration.
I think Coventry could get a result here, draw minimum. Dasilva and Massengo looked good for them.

Frostie

Brizzle will be massive favourites & rightly so.
That said, they're under new management so still finding their feet whilst we play quite a unique, slightly unorthodox style which can be difficult to play against so hopefully we can give them a good game!

SlowerThanPlatt

I watched the game against Exeter on Saturday on iFollow. They won, as you would expect, but they are nowhere near where they need to be for that start of the season. They had a few away on international duty and first half were matched by Exeter until they got the first goal on 35 minutes. Second half they did improve and got the winner in the last 5 minutes when Exeter probably ran out of puff and lacked a bit of concentration.
I think Coventry could get a result here, draw minimum. Dasilva and Massengo looked good for them.

Massengo is the player who cost them £7m

cc84cov

As long as We are at it from the off 1-1 draw

hopefully Godden can stay on side a little more...if he starts 😁

Sky Blue Harry H

I think we can get a positive result if (and it's a big IF) we don't concede a 'calamity defence playing out from the back' goal. Particularly if it's early on in the game.

Last edited:

Woolly68

As long as We are at it from the off 1-1 draw

hopefully Godden can stay on side a little more...if he starts 😁
I personally think that is the key to winning here. Get at them, straight away. If you go in leading at half time just hold onto it as they will get stronger during the second half. I could be talking utter bollocks though. What do I know? My money is on Coventry to sneak a hard fought win.

PVA

Can’t see anything but a loss here. We’ll be at opposite ends of the table come the end of the season.

Not according to the bookies.

They have Bristol City 17th favourites (40/1) and us 18th favourites (50/1).

I think they will finish bottom half.

Not saying it will be an easy game though, anything but. I'd be delighted with a point.

shmmeee

Not according to the bookies.

They have Bristol City 17th favourites (40/1) and us 18th favourites (50/1).

I think they will finish bottom half.

Not saying it will be an easy game though, anything but. I'd be delighted with a point.

Is that right? I really know nothing about the Championship. I thought they were up there from talk on here last season. Just checked and they were mid table. Maybe an optimistic point.

Sick Boy

I have overseas ifollow and it’s only showing as radio on the app at the moment, I contacted them and they said that the watch live option usually appears nearer the time, after last season it’s hard to trust them.

skyblueelephant76

Bristol City signed Alfie Mawson on loan from Fulham tonight. He cost Fulham £20m two years ago and BC are paying his £25k a week wages in full for the season.

Just shows the gulf between us and them.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Can’t see anything but a loss here. We’ll be at opposite ends of the table come the end of the season.
I don’t disagree, but with my positivity hat on, you got my first ever shitpost. Let me dream for a few more days before the reality of playing squads costing ten times plus that of ours kicks in and brings us all crashing back to earth in a cloud of sky blue shit.

Think some are in for a rude awakening soon, hope I’m wrong.

Its fucking Monday tomorrow as well.

NortonSkyBlue

I was surprised to see that in our L2 season, Walker scored 3 in 12 games for Forest (3 in 17 including Bolton loan spell). In terms of Championship experience, he's already ahead of Gooden.

My opinion is that we may start to lineup with two strikers as the season progresses. But, I'm assuming we're maintaining the 3-4-2-1 formation for Bristol and against a good Championship side, we're unlikely to enjoy the majority of possession. For that reason, I'd rather have Walker's pace on the counter from the first minute.

I still rate Gooden and think he's got the finishing ability to score goals in this league, but I'd be very surprised if Walker wasn't brought in to be the main striker, and he's earned the right to start with his goal yesterday.
So you think our top scorer from last season in a league title winning side and who had scored for fun in pre season hasn’t earned the right to start the new season? You are a tough taskmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread