Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (2 Viewers)

EAst ender

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, its just the way I see it. We have to think we can finish above the other teams that came up, and we have one club on -12. I would agree it would the most important achievement, but to lose 3 all season and win the league with room to spare with clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc all in there, I just think that in football terms that would be better than coming 21st above teams we already got the better of & a team thats starting with a huge handicap.
When we (BCFC) came up, we blitzed L1 yet really struggled to compete in the Championship. Its tough, very tough and survival is paramount IMHO. If it were us again, anything above the bottom 3 would be acceptable but fair play on setting your sights higher. Why not eh?

Evo1883

When we (BCFC) came up, we blitzed L1 yet really struggled to compete in the Championship. Its tough, very tough and survival is paramount IMHO. If it were us again, anything above the bottom 3 would be acceptable but fair play on setting your sights higher. Why not eh?

When you came up you played the wing backs in league 1, did you continue that into the championship or did you revert to a back 4

Ring Of Steel

haha- to be honest I don't have my sights set on anything apart from the above, its so hard to call. Unless Robins really is a miracle worker we're not going up, I would say 15th or so would be brilliant. But- and I've no problem being shot at for saying it- surely we must aim to finish above Wycombe, Rotherham & a team thats starting so far behind the rest.

CCFC88

From what I saw of them last season they were very much a counter attack side who sat back and let the opposition have the ball. That ay have changed aft Johnson left, If not it could be a game where we have a fair share of the ball but could get punished if we don't do much with it.

Monty

I think Bristol will be a stern test for us, anything but a loss would be a great start. I hope we got the silly mistakes out the way at MK. i do worry how light weight we were without Kelly, I hope Sheaf is the answer but until we see him play you just don't know. I hope we can keep it tight at the back, and possibly try a similar strategy as against Milton Keynes and put Walker on after 60 minutes to run at Bristol with pace, and then Baka on after 75, to put pressure on a tiring backline.

wingy

A lot of this is mental. The main worry of most on here is getting schooled in this division.. but if you think of the games as cup games, they become way less daunting.

I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but then...it wasn’t easy last season and we only lost 3 fucking games! Expect stress, probably more than last season but we have a great manager, a more than decent squad that plays a solid passing game.. and more importantly, a never say die attitude. We have a real chance in every game to get a result.

Have some faith in them, they’ve fucking earned it.
I think you only have to look at the dynamic of Sheffield Utd's approach to entering"that league".
I am seriously expecting last season's attitude and momentum to play a similar role to Chris Wilders teams performance over the season.

Sky Blue Harry H

Norwich to win the league for me. Brentford not far off. After that....Huddersfield, Blues, Sheff Wed to struggle, along with Wycombe. We'll be ok (eventually!)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm hoping I will be able to catch it on my iptv, can't pay 10 pound every away game

I believe we will finish 15th /16th Btw
I'm absolutely convinced our system will really cause alot of teams problems, it's much harder to break down than a classic 433 /442, it's also one of the reasons Sheffield United did so well in the championship... Besides having a brilliant manager that is... Wing backs with 2 holding midfielders is a fucker to play against

It is hard to break down with the extra CB and 2 DCM's, but its success is very dependent on the ability and athleticism of your wing backs, as you can either be a bit susceptible behind them (even with the extra CB covering) or you aren't as creative going forward.

We were blessed with the excellent Dabo on one side and a decent McCallum on the other last year. This year Dabo is missing at the moment (but hopefully not for long) and Giles seems decent going forward but a few question marks over his defending.

wingy

Norwich to win the league for me. Brentford not far off. After that....Huddersfield, Blues, Sheff Wed to struggle, along with Wycombe. We'll be ok (eventually!)
Just don't know about Blues under Karanka?
I fear they may not prepare the pitch as well for us this season lol🤔

Tommo1993

I’ve put Watford on my EW fourfold. Along with Liverpool, Pompey and Exeter. L1&2 were hard to pick winners, I don’t really bother much with that level...

mr_monkey

I’ve put Watford on my EW fourfold. Along with Liverpool, Pompey and Exeter. L1&2 were hard to pick winners, I don’t really bother much with that level...

I think Watford are a damn good shout to win this league but think you'll lose your money from Liverpool, they will finish 3rd at best this season

Tommo1993

I think Watford are a damn good shout to win this league but think you'll lose your money from Liverpool, they will finish 3rd at best this season

Yeah Watford was my easiest decision. Liverpool, we’ll see, I agree they won’t be as good as last season. Took me ages to pick L1&2

Evo1883

I think Norwich still have alot of the players they came Down with, but theyre a work in progress and were never going to stay up... I think they will win the league this year

Colin Steins Smile

I think Norwich still have alot of the players they came Down with, but theyre a work in progress and were never going to stay up... I think they will win the league this year
I agree it's Norwich to win the league followed by Brentford and Watford to go up via playoffs. Relegation wise I'm guessing at in being between Wycombe, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham & Rotherham.

mr_monkey

Yeah Watford was my easiest decision. Liverpool, we’ll see, I agree they won’t be as good as last season. Took me ages to pick L1&2

Definitely, as shown last year league one is a very random one and on their day basically anyone can beat anyone else, will be interesting to watch from afar to see who goes up to play us in the championship the following season

mark_ccfc

Tactically this one is almost certainly going to be the same as the Dons game, sitting back and trying to catch them on he break. I only hope it doesn't backfire on us with getting caught at the back. Could be very painful to watch, but hopefully though we will keep 11 players on the pitch and do a bit better!

I agree with what someone said earlier, that walker is far more suited to playing on the break, but I can't see him starting until he has had more time to gel within the team. Great start for him against Dons though, Godden certainly needs to be watching his back.

Marty

Be interesting to see how we start this game, we either come flying out the blocks and grab an early goal or knock it around a bit a build up a bit of confidence, the start of the season always throws up weird results, but I think a good account of ourselves, give us confidence for the season but a narrow loss 3-2. Walker & O'Hare.

Mucca Mad Boys

Some put us above them...

Personally, I think they're a very talented side but it's as good a time as any to play them, they're hopefully still finding their feet under new management & we have an unusual & awkward system to play against.

In my dreams, we finish 12th this year. That would be a great season.

BornSlippySkyBlue

The game Saturday should give us a reasonable idea of where we are set to compete, I personally think a draw would be amazing especially looking at there team.
I don’t think we should read too much into the result of the first game back in the division. It’s been a highly unusual closed season, and results early on always tend to be a bit mixed anyway while new players bed in and teams get used to new systems etc. For that reason, whether we get battered or paste them 5-0, I’m not going to either crack the champagne or kick the cat. Might have an idea by Christmas...

Agree a draw would be an excellent result, but nothing would surprise me to be honest.

D

Deleted member 2477

They have just signed chris Brunt from WBA. Quality experienced CM. Probably be in their team Saturday

Sky Blue Pete

12. Coventry City

In 2017, Coventry City were in the fourth tier of English football for the first time in almost 60 years and with absent owners Sisu in control it was hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel for Sky Blues supporters. Their rise under Mark Robins has been nothing short of sensational – a League Two play-off victory was followed by an eighth place finish in League One before they comfortably won the title on Points Per Game last season.

Robins’ initial success was built on a solid 4-4-2 that would grind out results but last season he changed the shape drastically and it had a transformative effect – the 3-6-1 was born. The most intriguing aspect of the new set-up was a box shape in midfield consisting of Liam Walsh, Liam Kelly, Callum O’Hare and Jamie Allen. This quartet would completely overwhelm opposition midfields with their constant passing and moving, they also provided the ammunition for striker Matt Godden to average more than a goal every other game.

Marko Marosi deserves a shot at the Championship after two good seasons in League One with Doncaster and then Coventry. Kyle McFadzean provides the experience at the back and both Dominic Hyam and Michael Rose impressed in the wide centre-back roles.

Left wing-back Sam McCallum’s departure to Norwich looks to have been made up for by the extension of Ryan Giles’ loan from Wolves and another loan in the shape of Leo Ostigard provides another option for the back three. The club’s other transfer business looks great on paper – Gustavo Hamer has been brought in to replace Walsh, who returned to Bristol City – the £1.35 million spent is the most they’ve paid for a player since 2001. Even more excitingly, Tyler Walker has been brought in from Forest after scoring bundles of goals for Mansfield and then Lincoln in the past couple of seasons and he will provide genuine competition for Godden.

I expect Coventry’s unorthodox system to be too much to handle for a lot of teams that have prioritised physicality, particularly in midfield where the ‘box’ are good enough to go toe-to-toe with even the division’s best sides. They will catch teams cold in the first few months of the season as they are forced to adjust to how they play. Godden making the step-up to the Championship will go a long way to having a successful season but there are enough alternative options to keep him honest.

It is disappointing that Coventry will again be playing at St. Andrews as issues with the local council over the use of the Ricoh Arena continue but the better the team perform, the more likely they are to find new owners and a more secure future. Robins seems the perfect man for this job, he won’t let the players get ahead of themselves should they start well and is experienced enough to not let them get too low when bad patches of form arrive. I think Coventry and their story will be one of the most exciting aspects of the 2020/21 Championship season.

Player to look out for: Callum O’Hare – It was a massive coup for Coventry to get O’Hare back permanently after a stellar loan spell at the club last season. The twinkle-toed attacking midfielder provides the magic as his fast feet and dribbling help him either score or create goals, it will be interesting to see how long it takes him to adapt to the Championship.

SlowerThanPlatt

12. Coventry City

In 2017, Coventry City were in the fourth tier of English football for the first time in almost 60 years and with absent owners Sisu in control it was hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel for Sky Blues supporters. Their rise under Mark Robins has been nothing short of sensational – a League Two play-off victory was followed by an eighth place finish in League One before they comfortably won the title on Points Per Game last season.

Robins’ initial success was built on a solid 4-4-2 that would grind out results but last season he changed the shape drastically and it had a transformative effect – the 3-6-1 was born. The most intriguing aspect of the new set-up was a box shape in midfield consisting of Liam Walsh, Liam Kelly, Callum O’Hare and Jamie Allen. This quartet would completely overwhelm opposition midfields with their constant passing and moving, they also provided the ammunition for striker Matt Godden to average more than a goal every other game.

Marko Marosi deserves a shot at the Championship after two good seasons in League One with Doncaster and then Coventry. Kyle McFadzean provides the experience at the back and both Dominic Hyam and Michael Rose impressed in the wide centre-back roles.

Left wing-back Sam McCallum’s departure to Norwich looks to have been made up for by the extension of Ryan Giles’ loan from Wolves and another loan in the shape of Leo Ostigard provides another option for the back three. The club’s other transfer business looks great on paper – Gustavo Hamer has been brought in to replace Walsh, who returned to Bristol City – the £1.35 million spent is the most they’ve paid for a player since 2001. Even more excitingly, Tyler Walker has been brought in from Forest after scoring bundles of goals for Mansfield and then Lincoln in the past couple of seasons and he will provide genuine competition for Godden.

I expect Coventry’s unorthodox system to be too much to handle for a lot of teams that have prioritised physicality, particularly in midfield where the ‘box’ are good enough to go toe-to-toe with even the division’s best sides. They will catch teams cold in the first few months of the season as they are forced to adjust to how they play. Godden making the step-up to the Championship will go a long way to having a successful season but there are enough alternative options to keep him honest.

It is disappointing that Coventry will again be playing at St. Andrews as issues with the local council over the use of the Ricoh Arena continue but the better the team perform, the more likely they are to find new owners and a more secure future. Robins seems the perfect man for this job, he won’t let the players get ahead of themselves should they start well and is experienced enough to not let them get too low when bad patches of form arrive. I think Coventry and their story will be one of the most exciting aspects of the 2020/21 Championship season.

Player to look out for: Callum O’Hare – It was a massive coup for Coventry to get O’Hare back permanently after a stellar loan spell at the club last season. The twinkle-toed attacking midfielder provides the magic as his fast feet and dribbling help him either score or create goals, it will be interesting to see how long it takes him to adapt to the Championship.

Biggest fee paid since 2001 is £1.3m!

Hadji's_Goatee

12. Coventry City

Who wrote that Pete? I like it

wingy

Four four two

The podcast from quest reckons 15th

I still think 21st is great but those in the know think we are better equipped than that
It's not just that I think Pete.
It's the freshness and momentum and newness as well.
Up against some tired stale players and Managers and Boardrooms too.
I'd concur with 14-15 th,it's optimistic , psychologically I don't think the management are suggesting 4th from bottom as preparation , wouldn't be the healthiest mindset or approach IMO .

NortonSkyBlue

There are some fantastic individuals in the championship and some decent teams but I am of the opinion that if we can play the way we do then we have a real chance to do well. We have a winning mentality, are used to to playing in empty stadiums and I wouldn’t be surprised if we tickled the play offs.

Users who are viewing this thread