Brexit Benefits (1 Viewer)

Grendel

well I would admit, and have said so regarding lorry drivers, that that is a good thing if it happens across different sectors, but why would it finish the government?

Inflation - a thing no one under the age of 40 has never seen. Fuel, energy, wages - then the dreaded interest rate rises

Grendel

Quite likely Grendel.

We’ve sleepwalked on zero percent for years - there is a real likelihood the devil of inflation is coming and although not the 16% mortgage I once signed up to enough to cause a real shudder

clint van damme

Inflation - a thing no one under the age of 40 has never seen. Fuel, energy, wages - then the dreaded interest rate rises

well fuel and energy are going through the roof without wages increasing.
Energy is going to really hurt people.

Grendel

well fuel and energy are going through the roof without wages increasing.
Energy is going to really hurt people.

Inflation is coming. Any sensible opposition will remain united - the BOE cannot continue to keep the rate down

wingy

Painful in the 90's weren't they 15% , negative equity, switching from endowments to repayment mortgages.
We sold to move to the sticks, estate agents valuing at £125k but lenders only willing to give £75-80k.
We sold at£80k and bought a decrepit old detatched in pailton that had been on the market for eons@£130k for£80k.
I did have a wobble at close to completion which gained us around £7k
in a tad extra, estate agents cutting fees and a reduction in the one we were buying.
It was genuine,not a tactic but.

clint van damme

Inflation is coming. Any sensible opposition will remain united - the BOE cannot continue to keep the rate down

we can't be heading back to the days of 16 percent mortgages though surely?
What we looking at, inflation at 3-4 percent?

Grendel

we can't be heading back to the days of 16 percent mortgages though surely?
What we looking at, inflation at 3-4 percent?

4% would mean interest rates on mortgages at 7% - when I earned &12,000 a year I paid £345 interest on a £30k mortgage - the levels will be lower but tbe impact the same. Thatcher really was destroyed by the ERM not the poll tax

jimmyhillsfanclub

Great news for all the sectors seeing bumper pay rises as employers can no longer import & exploit poor foreign labour (and yet we were constantly told freedom of movement didn't surpress wages...ha ha ha).....

...but Grendel & Wingy are right.....inflation is already happening.....My business costs have been rising & I've just increased my pricing accordingly....its all B2B in my case but the tab will inevitiably be picked up by the consumer eventually .....

Stagflation could also become a real issue if the wage rises aren't replicated across other industries & markets...

Bank Interest rates have been dangerously & artifically low for far too many years as the can they kicked down the road in 2008/9 comes starkly back into view.....
...crunch point is coming.....maybe we'll finally see the housing market correction that is years overdue......and from a personal & selfish POV I'd be made up with high interest rates, as i'm sure would millions of other savers & investors.....

...buckle up folks...

Sick Boy

Great news for all the sectors seeing bumper pay rises as employers can no longer import & exploit poor foreign labour (and yet we were constantly told freedom of movement didn't surpress wages...ha ha ha).....

...but Grendel & Wingy are right.....inflation is already happening.....My business costs have been rising & I've just increased my pricing accordingly....its all B2B in my case but the tab will inevitiably be picked up by the consumer eventually .....

Stagflation could also become a real issue if the wage rises aren't replicated across other industries & markets...

Bank Interest rates have been dangerously & artifically low for far too many years as the can they kicked down the road in 2008/9 comes starkly back into view.....
...crunch point is coming.....maybe we'll finally see the housing market correction that is years overdue......and from a personal & selfish POV I'd be made up with high interest rates, as i'm sure would millions of other savers & investors.....

...buckle up folks...
Yeah cos the UK had no history of importing cheap foreign workers before freedom of movement.

clint van damme

...buckle up folks...

All sectors?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah cos the UK had no history of importing cheap foreign workers before freedom of movement.

Never said otherwise mate.......but its stopped (for) now though hasn't it(y)..... whcih is why wages for those in construction, logistics, warehousing, hospitality etc. etc. are soaring.....

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm not sure that's the case but several sectors are which is good news.
Hopefully we reach the point where we don't have subsidise company profits with benefit payments to top up their workers wages.

Yep...working tax credit often = multinationals/corporate profit.

...and if you re-read my other post, I did make it clear that wage rises are not seen across the board & this may result in stagflation which is a bit of a c**t...

Sick Boy

Never said otherwise mate.......but its stopped (for) now though hasn't it(y)..... whcih is why wages for those in construction, logistics, warehousing, hospitality etc. etc. are soaring.....
…and who’s going to make up for the extra costs in the end?
The cabinet has members who have championed the UK modelling itself on a Singapore by the way.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Again...just to clarify. I never said "all sectors".

With regards Inflation, its also absoluately raging on raw material costs at present.....

wingy

The thing is,at least I think the tools were available to ensure it wasn't an exercise in undercutting.
But nobody was up for this while healthy returns could be made, thinking Govt , agencies, recruiters etc .
Like supposedly outlawing recruitment of whole shifts within a host nation.

Edit- yes largely the most necessary folks who saw us through the lockdowns, I think they deserve something extra for stepping up.
Just a shame the nurses, Doc's etc got overlooked.

skybluetony176

I see the brexit cheerleaders have been celebrating a gotcha today after pictures of empty shelves in a shop in Brussels appeared the Express even ran it as a story. Turns out it was one supermarket chain as a result of industrial action at their distribution centre. Allegedly the person who started is a brexit cheerleader who claims to be an expert in European politics and lives in Brussels so would have been well aware that the industrial action was the cause.

Evo1883

An ongoing list of Brexit benefits.

So far I can think of:

£350M week for the NHS
Easy trade deal with USA
No border in the Irish Sea
Better deals for fishermen
Better deal for farmers
Cheaper energy prices
Less red tape - imports/exports

Cheaper energy prices maybe so , but still facing huge problems in some parts .. like Italy

covmark

I see the brexit cheerleaders have been celebrating a gotcha today after pictures of empty shelves in a shop in Brussels appeared the Express even ran it as a story. Turns out it was one supermarket chain as a result of industrial action at their distribution centre. Allegedly the person who started is a brexit cheerleader who claims to be an expert in European politics and lives in Brussels so would have been well aware that the industrial action was the cause.
No, no one has seen that except you mate. Get yourself a life away from these brexit threads fella....

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Cheaper energy prices maybe so , but still facing huge problems in some parts .. like Italy

No sign of putting the heating on yet mate - 26c yesterday in the north 😎 The energy prices can be extortionate though, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. I think electricity increased by something like 30% yesterday.

skybluetony176

I see France is threatening to cut the of electricity supplies unless we implement brexit. I’ll say that again. Unless we implement brexit.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I see France is threatening to cut the of electricity supplies unless we implement brexit. I’ll say that again. Unless we implement brexit.

Really......I just see more offensive, agressive & (as usual) empty threats from a few marginal french idiots who are still crying over the channel fishing permits because they cannot get their own paperwork or boats in order......le twats

skybluetony176

Really......I just see more offensive, agressive & (as usual) empty threats from a few marginal french idiots who are still crying over the channel fishing permits because they cannot get their own paperwork or boats in order......le twats
It’s a member of the the french cabinet that said it not Frances equivalent to Desmond Swayne. You’re right though, it is about fishing. Refreshing to see a government who doesn’t sell the fishing industry up the river having promised the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread