Brexit Benefits (1 Viewer)

wingy

I thought we’d scrapped the Scotland to Northern Ireland brexit bridge last week ;)
Or Tunnel?
I've been wondering if this is what Boris and Rishi have been pursuing with their pleading for the pension industry to invest folks contributions into Govt projects rather than play the market .
Imagine something like the Channel tunnel funding or HS2 being realised through a scheme like that.Some return that would be.
Makes me feel uncomfortable and feels like something an eastern block country would try.
Don't think the individual would be consulted on this.
Wonder where all that tax goes.
Post war this country managed to renew vast swathes of infrastructure.

olderskyblue

Which is great for you but we’re starting to see the perfect storm of the 70’s and much of it has been avoidable. A sudden growth in wages, a sharp rise in house prices, a sharp rise in oil prices eventually triggered, stagnation, recession, 3 day working weeks, power outages, industrial action, high unemployment etc etc. We joined the EU as the poor man of Europe and once we settled in saw consistent growth. Unless something positive (more positive than crowns on pint glasses) happens leaving could well gain us that title again.
Isn’t that lot in slightly the wrong order?

the Miners strike was the cause of the 3 day week if I remember correctly. no coal, so no electricity. companies also went out of business during that period, we were asked to switch lights off as much as possible, tv finished early etc.

nb could be wrong, my memory isn’t the best these days ;)

skybluetony176

Or Tunnel?
I've been wondering if this is what Boris and Rishi have been pursuing with their pleading for the pension industry to invest folks contributions into Govt projects rather than play the market .
Imagine something like the Channel tunnel funding or HS2 being realised through a scheme like that.Some return that would be.
Makes me feel uncomfortable and feels like something an eastern block country would try.
Don't think the individual would be consulted on this.
Wonder where all that tax goes.
Post war this country managed to renew vast swathes of infrastructure.
Sorry. Yes, or tunnel. Plans dropped right under the radar in England. I think only the Guardian covered it of the nationals. Scottish and Irish papers were all over the story at the same time.

skybluetony176

Isn’t that lot in slightly the wrong order?

the Miners strike was the cause of the 3 day week if I remember correctly. no coal, so no electricity. companies also went out of business during that period, we were asked to switch lights off as much as possible, tv finished early etc.

nb could be wrong, my memory isn’t the best these days ;)
I think you’re right but the strike was while the coal mines were nationalised and the government capped their wages to tackle high inflation rates.

Which is where I see the parallels with what’s happening now. One problem is leading on to the next problem which is leading onto the next problem etc etc etc.

olderskyblue

I think you’re right but the strike was while the coal mines were nationalised and the government capped their wages to tackle high inflation rates.

Which is where I see the parallels with what’s happening now. One problem is leading on to the next problem which is leading onto the next problem etc etc etc.
They were on strike for a 35% pay rise. They eventually got 30%.…. I know I didn’t get a 30% pay rise…

SkyBlueCharlie9

I had a brief look and he seemed to suggest house buyers need to thank the Eu or everyone would live in a council house.

The one aspect of the federal institution we embraced was eve ERM which collapsed house prices through interest hikes. They went up every day at one point. I had negative equity as a consequence

I just scroll down his nonsense it’s not worth any effort
Hit a nerve there..

Colin Steins Smile

I had a brief look and he seemed to suggest house buyers need to thank the Eu or everyone would live in a council house.

The one aspect of the federal institution we embraced was eve ERM which collapsed house prices through interest hikes. They went up every day at one point. I had negative equity as a consequence

I just scroll down his nonsense it’s not worth any effort
On the subject of the ERM. When it was set up our then chancellor of the exchequer [Geoffrey Howe, a pro european] was smart enough to keep us out of it.
Unfortunately, Nigel Lawson a subsequent Chancellor and Euro sceptic decided it was good thing to join.....thus leading to the catastrophe of the foreign exchange speculators making millions from betting against sterling.
Hence, leading to high interest rates in the UK.
How Lawson has the nerve to every criticise any of the future Chancellor on management of the economy....just shows his total lack of self awareness.
As for Labour, at least we can thank Gordon Brown for keeping us out of the Euro.

David O'Day

Anyone remember when Grenners the economic guru decided that the biggest benefit of brexit was that UK could internally devalue the pound.

It was quickly pointed out that this would ruin anyone who needed to import materials or goods from outside the UK as this would make them far more expensive.

Genius

Colin Steins Smile

Anyone remember when Grenners the economic guru decided that the biggest benefit of brexit was that UK could internally devalue the pound.

It was quickly pointed out that this would ruin anyone who needed to import materials or goods from outside the UK as this would make them far more expensive.

Genius
Devaluing the pound inevitably leads to inflation, which is good for the government in devaluing the national debt, but bad for the population.

Grendel

Devaluing the pound inevitably leads to inflation, which is good for the government in devaluing the national debt, but bad for the population.

And of course I didn't say it would be a strategy intention

torchomatic

skybluetony176

Said from the very start that if you can’t fill job vacancies you’ll shrink the economy. This guy at the pointy end of the stick explains that in simple terms

CCFCSteve

Said from the very start that if you can’t fill job vacancies you’ll shrink the economy. This guy at the pointy end of the stick explains that in simple terms

Heard him yesterday. It’s a crazy situation. The fact remains that the government could’ve issued (and still can) short term/temp visas. He only wants seasonal workers so they are perfect for it and it’s what any nation with control over is migrant/visa policy should be doing

The constant shouting of ‘Brexit’ is giving the government an out here ie they will argue it’s what the people voted for. The fact is they’ve had months (years !) to have plans in place around migrant working in certain sectors.

Ps what was as worrying is the lack of applications from the U.K. especially as wages are increasing for low skilled jobs (which they are). He said he had three applications ??!!

skybluetony176

Heard him yesterday. It’s a crazy situation. The fact remains that the government could’ve issued (and still can) short term/temp visas. He only wants seasonal workers so they are perfect for it and it’s what any nation with control over is migrant/visa policy should be doing

The constant shouting of ‘Brexit’ is giving the government an out here ie they will argue it’s what the people voted for. The fact is they’ve had months (years !) to have plans in place around migrant working in certain sectors.
From his point of view and indeed the turkey industries point of view it’s already too late to save Xmas and the government needs to act now to save next year’s Xmas. Staggering that they were downsizing production commitments as early as March this year because of government inactivity. My fear is that this is a government that learns the sum total of fuck all from its mistakes as it won’t admit it’s mistakes. Incompetence on an industrial scale. They need to start being honest about the problems they’ve caused before we can start to move forward.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Brexit and government, really. Without Brexit then this wouldn't be happening, but government have had the power (and time!) to make sure things like this can't be used as a stick to beat Brexit with.

A conspiracy theorist could suggest they were deliberately doing this to turn the tide of opinion towards rejoining... ;) Yeah, bonkers, but not half as bonkers as some of the other conspiracies about... other things ;)

chiefdave

The fact is they’ve had months (years !) to have plans in place around migrant working in certain sectors.
Was it the yellowhammer report that was leaked and said all this would happen only for the government to dismiss it and basically ignore it.

There's a pattern forming here, from the pandemic preparedness onwards. We keep ending up in these situations only for it to emerge that the government were warned well in advance but chose to ignore the warnings.

Sick Boy

Didn’t the government claim that the food and HGV driver shortages were going on across Europe, yet are now going to be recruiting from other European countries?

torchomatic

Brexiteers now saying petrol was shit anyway. Who need it?

skybluetony176

There’s also reports that the drivers and seasonal workers aren’t going to come in the numbers required. Simply because they will no longer have the protection of EU rights unlike before. Apparently the drivers can earn just as much money in the EU, have better working conditions and have more rights.

torchomatic

There’s also reports that the drivers and seasonal workers aren’t going to come in the numbers required. Simply because they will no longer have the protection of EU rights unlike before. Apparently the drivers can earn just as much money in the EU, have better working conditions and have more rights.

Also Grant Shapps just said that this shortage isn't just here, it's in Europe too. So, why would EU drivers come over here if they are short over there?

It's all bullshit. It's Brexit and he knows it.

Marty

I did see claims that the BBC deliberately triggered the panic buying and remainers were going from station to station deliberately to make the queues look worse.

They did, they win twice by reporting this shit, the initial lies then the plebs panic buy, which creates another story for them to report. Was the same with the bog roll last year.

skybluetony176

They did, they win twice by reporting this shit, the initial lies then the plebs panic buy, which creates another story for them to report. Was the same with the bog roll last year.
They (amongst others) reported a warning directly from BP that they had closed some petrol stations due to driver shortages. That’s a matter of fact not opinion. Where’s the lie? Plebs? I only know 2 people personally who panicked brought petrol, both leavers. So maybe you are right on your second point.

Users who are viewing this thread