Brexit Benefits (6 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Except, again, you have no idea why people vote how they do.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Which has what to do with it?

I'm saying that people (on all sides of the political spectrum) can be and are 'stupid' enough to be taken in by lies and misinformation and make shit voting decisions based upon it.

You've consistently say that people are not 'stupid', are informed and vote rationally on how they want things to be run, just from different viewpoints.

Yet those same people are stupid enough to be convinced to panic buy toilet rolls and fuels at the slightest hint of a problem which, with the tiniest bit of research, they would be able to work out they didn't need to do.

So either the people of this country are stupid enough to be manipulated or they're not.

If they're not, then you have to think that this panic buying is in fact them making an informed, rational decision on what is in their best interests.

TomRad85

I'm saying that people (on all sides of the political spectrum) can be and are 'stupid' enough to be taken in by lies and misinformation and make shit voting decisions based upon it.

You've consistently say that people are not 'stupid', are informed and vote rationally on how they want things to be run, just from different viewpoints.

Yet those same people are stupid enough to be convinced to panic buy toilet rolls and fuels at the slightest hint of a problem which, with the tiniest bit of research, they would be able to work out they didn't need to do.

So either the people of this country are stupid enough to be manipulated or they're not.

If they're not, then you have to think that this panic buying is in fact them making an informed, rational decision on what is in their best interests.
Jesus Christ.

TomRad85

Me: Enters thread to mention how ridiculous the people around by me are behaving.
SBT politics thread: omfg so you're admitting that people who don't vote how I vote are stupid too.
I'm constantly baffled by how shockingly out of touch and frankly slightly insane some of the people in these train wreck threads are.

Grendel

So one headline which creates a knee jerk domino effect is in fact the same as people voting in a political election which has coverage for months up to it?

Yeah great comparison

skybluetony176

So one headline which creates a knee jerk domino effect is in fact the same as people voting in a political election which has coverage for months up to it?

Yeah great comparison
The driving shortage has been a story all year so not one headline by any stretch of the imagination. Just not been covered in any detail by the majority of the MSM. This has been building for a while, just no one was paying attention until the empty shelves started appearing.

CCFCSteve

Hardly aimlessly. Pre brexit yes we had a drivers shortage but we were managing, post brexit we no longer manage and the government’s only real fix is to partially reverse brexit and issue a few thousand visas to EU drivers who didn’t previously require them. If it had nothing to do with brexit the government would have other fixes.

I admire your dogmatic approach (almost as impressive as the government initially not accepting that issuing some short term visas might actually help take some pressure off) but you’re ignoring all of the data and other issues related to this subject. You could replace pre-Brexit with pre-Covid in your post and the data suggests it would be a more accurate assessment

That’s not to say Brexit hasn’t exacerbated the problem as I said earlier, however, 5k short term EU visas isnt/won’t be a anything other than a short term sticking plaster. It’s needed but won’t resolve the issues. Getting the licenses and test backlog sorted and offering better pay and conditions to drivers will

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think this also. I'm sure there is less than normal (like the bog roll) but if the general public were normal and not fucking morons there would still be plenty for everyone (again like the bog roll.)

Ok, I understand. People are stupid because they've been manipulated to panic buy.

I expect people to do exactly what they've done, confirm how stupid they are.

Fair enough. Understood you the first time,

I don't think that anyone who votes left or right is stupid, everyone is entitled to a different opinion on how things should be run.

Wait... wouldn't a fair few of those 'stupid' people panic buying vote as well? If they can be convinced to do something stupid for one thing surely they can be convinced to do something stupid for the other?

"There's a shortage of HGV drivers to deliver fuel to forecourts, but no shortage of fuel"
"Shit, better go and buy some fuel"

"The EU costs us £350m a week to be a part of and is preventing us from having control of our laws and drowning us in red tape. We don't control of our economy and we can't make our own trade deals. Plus freedom of movement means immigrants are costing you a fortune in benefits, taking your jobs, bringing wages down, causing a backlog in the NHS and other services and creating a housing shortage."
"Shit, better vote leave"

TomRad85

Ok, I understand. People are stupid because they've been manipulated to panic buy.

Fair enough. Understood you the first time,

Wait... wouldn't a fair few of those 'stupid' people panic buying vote as well? If they can be convinced to do something stupid for one thing surely they can be convinced to do something stupid for the other?

"There's a shortage of HGV drivers to deliver fuel to forecourts, but no shortage of fuel"
"Shit, better go and buy some fuel"

"The EU costs us £350m a week to be a part of and is preventing us from having control of our laws and drowning us in red tape. We don't control of our economy and we can't make our own trade deals. Plus freedom of movement means immigrants are costing you a fortune in benefits, taking your jobs, bringing wages down, causing a backlog in the NHS and other services and creating a housing shortage."
"Shit, better vote leave"
I honestly don't understand what the hell you are on about. What do you want from this exchange exactly?

Grendel

I honestly don't understand what the hell you are on about. What do you want from this exchange exactly?

He's like a thinking mans Tony - just not worth the effort

Grendel

I was thinking it was all very Tony-esque but way more waffley. Come back Tone, all is forgiven.

He is a lot brighter than Tony to be fair - definitely white collar (albeit frustrated, failed and blames others for his own shortcomings) than the overall wearing version

TomRad85

He is a lot brighter than Tony to be fair - definitely white collar (albeit frustrated, failed and blames others for his own shortcomings) than the overall wearing version
I'm sure he'll be delighted with that compliment.

skybluetony176

I admire your dogmatic approach (almost as impressive as the government initially not accepting that issuing some short term visas might actually help take some pressure off) but you’re ignoring all of the data and other issues related to this subject. You could replace pre-Brexit with pre-Covid in your post and the data suggests it would be a more accurate assessment

That’s not to say Brexit hasn’t exacerbated the problem as I said earlier, however, 5k short term EU visas isnt/won’t be a anything other than a short term sticking plaster. It’s needed but won’t resolve the issues. Getting the licenses and test backlog sorted and offering better pay and conditions to drivers will
Worth pointing out that I have also acknowledged other issues such as backlog in other posts. Also pointing out that this pre dates Covid and stems from the government closing over 30 DVLA offices, defunding the DVLA as part of the failed austerity program and also contracting out parts of the DVLA’s services to the private sector. Brexit is just the straw that broke the camels back, the root cause of the problems stem back over a decade.

skybluetony176

As it comes from a guy who believes a long dismissed urban myth about a radio fiction drama then it’s absolutely a compliment. Anyone daft enough to believe urban myths is hardly a good judge of anything.

Grendel

It’s just tiresome. The hilarious thing is Tony is now O Drivel’s echo chamber I mean how low can you go to try and get support and acknowledgement

Grendel

Could try and seek it from you Grenners

giphy.gif

Grendel

Hey Grenners what name did you use when you used to write letters to the CET?

Martin McGuinness - just so it would get you all excited

clint van damme

I don't think the short term visas will work at all to be honest.
You're right about the license and test back log, that's what really needs sorting out.

Grendel

No really what name did you use? You are nailed on to be the kind of fella that wrote in every week.

The Smallest Beach in The World - aka Bobby Sands

skybluetony176

So it’s coming out that a House of Commons Transport Select Committee predicted this in a report in 2017. Government ignored the warnings.

Users who are viewing this thread